Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Paperboy

The_Paperboy.jpg

tumblr_msgc4kW1K91qaru4bo1_500.gif

Oh boi 🥵

Well I haven't watched this movie but now because of that gif I want to see it  🙂

The paperboy is a 2012 American drama film based on the 1995 novel of the same name. The films stars Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron, Joan Cusack and Matthew McCounaghey. The movie revolves around a Miami reporter who goes back to his hometown in Florida to investigate a racial murder case that involves a death row inmate. The movie received mixed to bad reviews and currently holds a 45% on Rotten Tomatoes. The film didn't do any better with making money, in fact it was a box office bomb, making $3.8M against a budget of $12M, yikes. Nicole Kidman received a Golden Globe Nomination for her role in this though, which I suppose is a good thing. There are also some nice gifs on the internet, so there's also that.

giphy.gif ESsn.gif source.gif

Saving The Iceman

SatisfiedBabyishCowbird-max-1mb.gif

ALBERT NOBBS

an.jpg?w=324

Sorry for cutting an Oscar-nominated film here, but I'm going to take a guess that this film isn't a favorite of anyone here. If it is, then I apologize. Albert Nobbs stars Glenn Close, a woman posing as a man in order to be independent in late-19th century Ireland. She works as a butler in an elegant hotel, but things become complicated after she meets a handsome painter. After a series of events, Albert Nobbs meets a tragic end. This film is based on a 1927 novella. As for reviews of the film,  Albert Nobbs has a 56% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site adds that the film "tells a worthy story with an outstanding performance at its core, even if the end result is often somewhat less than the sum of its admirable parts." I remember hearing about this film during awards season, but I never thought about seeking it out to watch. I expected better reviews for the film, but I don't doubt Glenn Close gave an excellent performance. Anyway, sorry to any fans of this film, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'll save Sicario: Day of the Soldado

tumblr_p5pn9qgDmy1qkwkeko6_400.gif

V/H/S | Movie fanart | fanart.tv

Netflix movie GIF - Find on GIFER

Considering that it's been nominating quite often, I think this is the right time for it to be eliminated from the rankdown. What is V/H/S? It's an anthology horror movie which is created by Brad Miska and Bloody Disgusting - two individuals that I've never heard about. The movie features a series of found-shootage shorts, written by different individuals - the shorts featured are known as "Taper 56/frame narrative", "Amateur Night", "Second Honeymoon", "Tuesday the 17th", "The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger", "10/31/98", and "Alternative Ending to 10/31/98".  The film had a limited theatrical premiere in the US, and it spawned some sequels as a spin-off - it seems to have been pretty successful but not sure if it's any good as it seems that horror movie, bad or good, tend to do well with the fan base of the genre. 

SAVING: TRAINWRECK

Edited by *Chris

Victoria & Abdul (2017 dir. by Stephen Frears)

tumblr_oqs6x8Z3p41s0xdato5_r1_500.gifv

Sorry Dame Judi Dench! This film is categorized as a biographical comedy-drama, which is a very strange combination. But the film is based on a novel of the same name written by Shrabani Basu. The film examines the relationship between Queen Victoria and her Indian Muslim servant, Abdul Karim. The two titular roles are portrayed by none other than Dame Judi Dench and Ali Fazal. As I glance over the synopsis, Abdul of course was treated poorly and resented by Queen Victoria's family and inner circle, since she showed him love and preferential treatment. UGH. OF COURSE HE WAS. BECAUSE THIS FILM IS NOT STEEPED IN HISTORICAL ACCURACY.

Do not mistake the relationship depicted in this film for reality, since this movie is clearly ignoring the display of barbaric behavior of the United Kingdom towards the colonized nation of India. I highly doubt that Abdul was just kissing the feet of Queen Victoria. Yucky.

The film also stars Tim Pigott-Smith, Eddie Izzard, Adeel Akhtar, and Sir Michael Gambon. The film received mixed reviews, with the Judi Dench praised for her performance. Nothing new there. But the narrative is criticized, and many reviewers complained about the white-washing of the film and the offensive portrayal of Abdul's character. 

Fair elimination.

SAVING: Cake

The Purge: Election Year

The_Purge_Election_Year.png

Since I nominated this on my only-Horror round (after people that like horror movies way more than I do and are participating in a rankdown dedicated to only horror films), it feels like a solid cut. I haven't seen it, but just from reading the premise, I would give it a pass most likely. It's a dystopian horror film released in 2016, and is the third installment in the franchise (currently at 4 movies and a 2-season tv show). The basic idea is that you have an annual national holiday (the Purge), that's pretty much a free-for-all, anything-goes kinda deal for crime. So of course people just go off killing each other. This sounds like 4chan's wet dream, and that's all you need to know.

Save: mother!

21 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

The movie Just Mercy starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx is free to rent on streaming platforms for the month of June. During this time watch this film and have those important conversations about racism with your families and loved ones. 👊🏿👊🏾👊🏽👊🏼👊🏻 

I watched it. I remember seeing the preview in theaters and wanting to see it, so I'm glad I got the chance now. It's a powerful and important story of justice, and I recommend everyone take the time to watch and reflect on it, as well. ❤️ 

14 minutes ago, miss denise said:

I watched it. I remember seeing the preview in theaters and wanting to see it, so I'm glad I got the chance now. It's a powerful and important story of justice, and I recommend everyone take the time to watch and reflect on it, as well. ❤️ 

I'm glad you watched it. ❤️ 

My nominations: 

The Greatest Showman
Leap Year
Something Borrowed
Only God Forgives
The Boss
The Leisure Seeker
Life of the Party
Burlesque
It's only the End of the World
Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution