Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Cycle 4 ~Never Nominees~

tenor.gif?itemid=13715262

No more hiding! This is the Never Nominees round! The rules are simple. Highlighted in gold on the front page are the films that have been nominated previously in this game (along with the immune films). All those films are safe this cycle! The under-the-radar films who have been sneaking by have to fight this round because there's nowhere to hide! You will each nominate 18 films that have not been nominated in this game before. Then, everyone will be cutting and saving one. As the cycle goes on, the list of never nominees will be less and less.

Here is the nominating order:

D1GcotQ.png

@NGM is first to nominate 18 films and his 24 hours begins now!

@Steven_ @aliasocfan @Elliott @Deeee @1234567890 @totes4totes @*Chris @.Rei @#jeah

Noms:

The Two Popes
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Ralph Breaks the Internet
Ocean’s 8
Green Book

The Shape of Water
Ghostbusters
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

The Butler
Star Trek Into Darkness
Stoker

American Hustle
Rise of the Guardians
Water for Elephants

Captain America: The First Avenger
Horrible Bosses
Anna Karenina

giphy.gif

Green Book

Two years after a historic win for Moonlight, the Academy decided that the 2005 winner Crash was actually good and needed a follow-up and decided that Green Book was the way to go. Green Book is the "heartwarming" story of a white man who learns to not be racist after driving around a brilliant black pianist in the South. It's based on a true story of Dr. Don Shirley and it's worth saying that the family of Dr. Shirley hates this movie. The movie never consulted the family during the production of this movie, despite having Nick Vallelonga on as a writer to make sure that Frank "Tony Lip" Vallelonga was given the most glowing portrayal as possible. But can we really be surprised that Dumb and Dumber Director turned prestige Peter Farrelly didn't do his due diligence in creating this film? Anyway, this movie is just another white savior narrative that Hollywood felt the need to give themselves a pat on the back. 

Saving: Ocean's 8

3 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Anyway, this movie is just another white savior narrative that Hollywood felt the need to give themselves a pat on the back.

White man with very limited empathy learns to care about a person of color only after knowing them personally for a very long time and having to literally witness the racism first-hand and then stands up to more overtly racist people.

The Academy through sobs: "omggggg that is totally meeeeeee... I'm not literally a member of the KKK and that's the only level of racism I will acknowledge as bad!!! this movie shows just how wonderful we all actually are on the inside in our minds!!!!! Voting for this is the same as making institutional changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

download.php?type=download&image=15752&section=3 

giphy.gif

This historical romance-drama was released in 2006 - it was inspired by the novel of the same name.  The movie focuses on Anna Karenina who travels to Russia to convince her sister to forgive her husband - it just happens that her sister is a prince that was unfaithful. While in Russia, Anna meets a gentleman who is a count - they are attracted to each other despite being married to someone else. As the movie progresses, we find that Anna is in the same boat as her sister when she suspects her new lover is unfaithful - she's essentially humiliated by all of it.  And that's pretty much it - the movie is nothing spectacular beside its costume, and it could literally be morph into any historical drama starring Keira Knightley; this is obviously dramatic because her other movies are much better than this one. 

As a whole, the movie didn't really go anywhere for me - the cast was great but the rest of the movie fell a bit flat.

SAVING: SHAPE OF WATER

Stoker

Stoker_teaser_poster.jpg

BfbW.gif

Some terrible nominations in this bunch, so I will have to cut a movie that I have watched and I do believe is just okay. 

Stoker is a 2013 psychological thriller film that starred Mia Wasikowska, Matthew Goode, Nicole Kidman and Jacki Weaver. The film revolves around India, a 18 year old woman, that on her 18th birthday has her life upside down after the death of her father in a car accident. She is left with her unstable mother Evelyn and the unexpected arrival of her Uncle Charlie, that she never heard about before. Upon Charlie's arrival strange things starts happening and India develops a certain attraction to her uncle some other dark stuff that I won't spoil. The movie overall was just okay, nothing special. I liked Matthew Goode cause I've always been very attracted to him so that's a plus of the movie. Nicole Kidman is great in her role so there's that. The film currently holds a 70% Tomatoscore and made $12.1M against a budget of $12M, making $100.000 in profit. Nice!

Saving How to train your dragon: The Hidden World 

8620f0b7b09e788b10371191bad1bd1f.gif

HORRIBLE BOSSES (2011)

FamousPoorIriomotecat-size_restricted.gi

Sorry to any fans of this movie but it's time for it to leave, it's been nominated multiple times (I think? I know I almost have nominated it) and while it has a few laughs, it's a mostly meh comedy movie imo. It has a good cast: Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, He Who Shall Not Be Named, Colin Farrell, and Jamie Foxx. All huge names in their own right. It has a funny but relatively uncreative premise in that three guys plot to kill their terrible bosses. What could possibly go wrong, right? It was a big box office success bringing in over $200m and spawned a sequel. I remember it having some kind of off color jokes but laughing here and there. It's been a good 6-7 years since I've seen it and I was probably drunk while watching it so I don't remember it too well. 

Saving: American Hustle, a messy but thoroughly enjoyable movie with a great cast