COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

I have some good news to report from my state. We’ve been testing far more than most states, on a per capita basis. I’m not sure how we’ve been able to do that, but I’ll give credit where credit is due, regardless of political party. We also have exceptional medical facilities and professionals in Minnesota. 

14,003 tests, 398 positive. 2.8%

The number of daily confirmed cases peaked on Monday at 66.  The last 4 days have been lower, despite the increase in testing. The last few days have been 26, 26, 59, 52.  

I live in a county with 421K people, and we’ve only had 28 cases. This is a heavily populated suburban area. 

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Edited by TeamAudra

23 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I have some good news to report from my state. We’ve been testing far more than most states, on a per capita basis. I’m not sure how we’ve been able to do that, but I’ll give credit where credit is due, regardless of political party. We also have exceptional medical facilities and professionals in Minnesota. 

14,003 tests, 398 positive. 2.8%

The number of daily confirmed cases peaked on Monday at 66.  The last 4 days have been lower, despite the increase in testing. The last few days have been 26, 26, 59, 52.  

I live in a county with 421K people, and we’ve only had 28 cases. This is a heavily populated suburban area. 

Since yesterday, my state has reported an additional 2126 tests, 43 of those are positive for Coronavirus. 2%. This week’s numbers have suggested a possible flattening of the curve, but I’d like to see a few more days worth of data. 

The total number of tests is now 16,129. 441 positive. 

Edited by TeamAudra

My province now has the 2nd highest per capita number of infections in the country, despite taking prompt and strong measures to try and contain it. All the measures in the world are only as good as the people adhering to them, and it would appear that people here aren't taking it serious enough to listen to them.

10 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

My province now has the 2nd highest per capita number of infections in the country, despite taking prompt and strong measures to try and contain it. All the measures in the world are only as good as the people adhering to them, and it would appear that people here aren't taking it serious enough to listen to them.

Optically, British Columbia has probably been the worst behaved province in Canada, but social distancing efforts seem to have shown up in their data remarkably fast. In Italy, where you have to fill out a form to go for a walk, social distancing seems to have had little or no effect in slowing the spread. Citizens' behaviour obviously matters, but it seems like there is an element of luck wrt to who breaks the rules and where they go.

Edited by RWG

Hey guys, I hope y’all are safe and following guidelines about healthy and safety and quarantine. Also important:just be careful with where everyone  is getting their information from. I’ve seen countless false information on social media such as false claims of cures such as saying garlic or drinking water kills the virus, rumors about countries such as that Russia released lions on the country’s streets to force people to stay at home, and many other ridiculous assumptions/bad or misleading advice. Make sure you check Snopes or other fact check sites, CDC, WHO,  and other trusted news sources for information you check on social media/hear on tv/etc. 

Edited by xfactor22

On 3/28/2020 at 12:46 PM, ButterflyEffect said:

To be fair regarding measures, the effects of things like social distancing and shelter in place orders won't really see a significant impact until about 3 weeks into it all. So next week or the week after for certain states in the US (not sure when provinces in Canada started shelter in place orders). 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

IHME has a projection of COVID curves for resources (ICU beds, hospital beds) and deaths for each state as well as the United States. Obviously the data will get more accurate as the days progress. But it's an interesting thing to look at. 

I still find the Johns Hopkins map to be one of the best: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

Hey guys, I hope y’all are safe and following guidelines about healthy and safety and quarantine. Also important:just be careful with where everyone  is getting their information from. I’ve seen countless false information on social media such as false claims of cures such as saying garlic or drinking water kills the virus, rumors about countries such as that Russia released lions on the country’s streets to force people to stay at home, and many other ridiculous assumptions/bad or misleading advice. Make sure you check Snopes or other fact check sites, CDC, WHO,  and other trusted news sources for information you check on social media/hear on tv/etc. 

ive heard so many conspiracy theories. I’ve heard the following:

1. China created the virus in a lab and released it to quell the riots in the country plus mess with the American economy and ruin Trump’s chance of reelection.

2. The Democrats created the virus and gave it to China since they also want to mess up Trump’s economy.

3. The “virus” is actually a combo between the latest flu shot and 5G making people

ill. 

4. Bill Gates created the virus and made it so it only severely harms or kills people with positive blood types, because apparently he wants only Jewish people to survive and they all have negative blood types. (Not true since my MIL is Jewish and she is a positive blood type. 

5. The virus was released as a distraction which is meant to distract us from communism taking over and currency going all digital

❓🤯 this is all  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, totes4totes said:

To be fair regarding measures, the effects of things like social distancing and shelter in place orders won't really see a significant impact until about 3 weeks into it all. So next week or the week after for certain states in the US (not sure when provinces in Canada started shelter in place orders). 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

IHME has a projection of COVID curves for resources (ICU beds, hospital beds) and deaths for each state as well as the United States. Obviously the data will get more accurate as the days progress. But it's an interesting thing to look at. 

I still find the Johns Hopkins map to be one of the best: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

That first link is outstanding. Thanks. 

So, the US death peak is April 14th according to that model, which is close enough to the model Fauci is using. New York’s is April 6th, which is earlier than I would have guessed. Cuomo needs 4141 ventilators on the peak day, plus a few more, to account for less than 100% efficient logistics. Worst case scenario, according to the model, he needs 10-11K plus a few more. The next few weeks are going to be awful for that state. 

It’s interesting that their model predicts anywhere from <1000 to 17,000+ deaths in California. I suspect the wide range of possible outcomes is related to their piss poor reporting of data. Nobody really knows what’s going on in that state. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Niki said:

1. China created the virus in a lab and released it to quell the riots in the country plus mess with the American economy and ruin Trump’s chance of reelection.

2. The Democrats created the virus and gave it to China since they also want to mess up Trump’s economy.

3. The “virus” is actually a combo between the latest flu shot and 5G making people

ill. 

4. Bill Gates created the virus and made it so it only severely harms or kills people with positive blood types, because apparently he wants only Jewish people to survive and they all have negative blood types. (Not true since my MIL is Jewish and she is a positive blood type. 

5. The virus was released as a distraction which is meant to distract us from communism taking over and currency going all digital

❓🤯 this is all  

Yeah those are probably most of  the main conspiracies tossed around. Sadly, there’s more conspiracies that just those. But sadly, conspiracies somehow gain what you’d call “traction” in times of crises, which then will spread misinformation, which then will endanger many more people.  the coronavirus is, dangerous as it is, but leave it to needless political fights and overly skeptical tin-foil hatters and such  to make the pandemic even more dangerous by causing misinformation to be spread across the globe. 

Question: Have some conspiracy theory's actually been true?  

Answer:  Yes

So … I like to take the stance of, "Don't blindly believe something"  but also,  "Don't blindly reject something"

with that said, here's this:   

15 hours ago, Niki said:

ill. 

❓🤯 this is all  

My favorite conspiracy theory I've seen about COVID-19 is it was created by the world governments so that they could see how easily they could "control" their populations both by killing off some citizens as well as control them by keeping them inside. lol

This shit is horrifying, but I have to admit, it's always hilarious to read some of the batshit crazy conspiracies when stuff like this happens.

12 hours ago, RWG said:

You can tell that Bill Gates thing was written by an insane person just by looking at the formatting.

Without a doubt. 

35 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I like Chris a lot, I wish him the best. It's amazing how widespread this is becoming. It's kind of scary. 

So, because my father (a staunch Trump supporter) posed this question to me and I'll post how I answered it, I wanted to pose it to you guys. How would you handle this if you were POTUS, particularly those that object to how this president responded?

My response: So, I’m NOT the president so it’s a bit silly for me to speculate. The only thing I’d really say is when you propose major cuts to the CDC, it doesn’t necessarily aid when it comes to something like this. His messaging has changed rapidly from nothing to worry about in January to what it is now, which is important. He went from downplaying the risk to recognizing the spread but downplaying the risk. Then came the messaging that we’re at war with an invisible enemy and it escalated. You know I made the comparison to W with Katrina. It’s important to have things like ventilators in place because when someone needs one, it’s pretty vital there’s movement in an expeditious manner. He does appear to be listening to the doctors, experts and that’s great. I don’t KNOW for sure it’s his Katrina, but again, the numbers I wouldn’t read too much into now as the public rallies around the president in a time of crisis. W’s approval after 9/11 hit 90%. I’m sure we’ll come out of it eventually, but we need to listen to the experts. I know POTUS is anxious because of the gains that have been lost since he took office and that’s his chief argument for re-election, but there is time. A single person being elected to a second term isn’t as important as people’s lives though and his messaging sometimes gives away the priorities. (i.e. We can’t wear masks forever or I want the country opened up by Easter, it will magically disappear, we can’t let the cure be worse than the problem, etc).