COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

7 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

I agree with all of this.  Trump def doesn't want anything shut down and has to consider it a last resort.  Unless I'm mistaken, Fauci is on record as saying he supports a mandatory lockdown.  He knows this "social distancing" is a half-ass measure that isn't gonna slow this thing down.  I think well see how much Trump is willing to listen to him in the next few days.

Fauci was asked if he would rule out a mandatory lockdown. He didn’t say he supports one, but wouldn’t take it off the table. 

Edited by TeamAudra

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Fauci was asked if he would rule out a mandatory lockdown. He didn’t say he supports one, but wouldn’t take it off the table. 

Ah ok.  I wasn't  sure but thanks for the correction.  I still think that's the direction we are headed in...but the numbers coming in the next 2-3 days will tell the story.

Here’s justification for shutting down bars/restaurants/universities/schools for at least two weeks. Younger people are carriers, but don’t know it, because they don’t have severe (or any at all) symptoms. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

This is something I’ll be tracking. Note the last column (Total cases/1M pop). Compared to most other countries, we’re still in good shape, but those numbers are

going to climb considerably, with community spread, and more testing. Let’s hope we can keep it under 100. Italy is in really rough shape, and there doesn’t appear to be an end in sight. 

yIgC3ed.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The US's numbers are completely irrelevant. The data is weeks behind the virus.

My province's health minister just told young people to use their own judgement for going out for St. Patrick's. Can't make this up.

3 minutes ago, RWG said:

The US's numbers are completely irrelevant. The data is weeks behind the virus.

My province's health minister just told young people to use their own judgement for going out for St. Patrick's. Can't make this up.

There’s also a daily flight from China to Vancouver, with no screening. This Twitter account has been tracking it. 

Here are how the kids at Queen's University, one of Canada's most prestigious universities, are reacting to the coronavirus.

Don't be these people, tomorrow's supposed leaders.

6 hours ago, *Chris said:

^^ Ezra Levant is not credible.

Anyway, Canada has closed its border, not affecting US or Mexico or Carribeans. 

If you are a Canadian abroad, time to come home. 

I think closing the US border is very much still on the menu. The fact Trudeau was 30 minutes late for his own conference makes me think they might have been trying to hammer out how they can close the border to most civilians in a way that keeps it open for trade. I'm guessing this has to be negotiated.

I was ordered to begin working from home today. I'm not allowed in the office without permission from my boss.

So far, in my home state (Minnesota), 2336 people have been tested. and 60 have tested positive for coronavirus. That’s 2.6%. I’m assuming they’re only testing people with symptoms, so there are obviously a lot of people ill with something else. There has been evidence of some community spread over the past few days. 

Indoor dining at bars and restaurants has been shut down by the Governor. Drive through and take out is still allowed. K-12 schools were ordered  closed as of today, although most have been closed since Monday. 

Edit: Mall of America just announced it’s closing though the end of the month. They have 40 million annual visitors. It’s about 5 miles from my house, but I rarely go there. Many other department stores, such as Macy’s, are following suit. 

Edited by TeamAudra

At least this crazy shit will sort of submit me into actually staining my front and back porch this weekend as long as the rain holds off. Been pushing it back every week for the last month, but now that I'll be home, I won't have anything better to do.

Stay safe everyone.

37 minutes ago, FunkyFrankie said:

Whose all out of TP and are they restocking and is there a limit? 

I bought some like 2-3 days before everyone went into full panic mode and bought out everything. We still have 3-4 rolls (only bought a 6 pack the day I got some) but my wife did pick up a few small packs today at Walgreens while they were restocking everything just to avoid us being short if we do run out.

Most places around here have a limit of 2 per item such as TP, cleaning products, and hand sanitizer. Not sure if it's enforced or not though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

So far, in my home state (Minnesota), 2336 people have been tested. and 60 have tested positive for coronavirus. That’s 2.6%. I’m assuming they’re only testing people with symptoms, so there are obviously a lot of people ill with something else. There has been evidence of some community spread over the past few days. 

Indoor dining at bars and restaurants has been shut down by the Governor. Drive through and take out is still allowed. K-12 schools were ordered  closed as of today, although most have been closed since Monday. 

Edit: Mall of America just announced it’s closing though the end of the month. They have 40 million annual visitors. It’s about 5 miles from my house, but I rarely go there. Many other department stores, such as Macy’s, are following suit. 

Austin joined the list this morning, with Mayor Adler ordering all restaurants and bars closed.  Take out and drive thru still available.  As of late yesterday there were only 6 confirmed cases in Travis County, but of course that number is expected to skyrocket with testing ramping up.

2 hours ago, FunkyFrankie said:

Whose all out of TP and are they restocking and is there a limit? 

I went to small convenience store. Very small place that only have 1 person doing everything no brand mom and pop store. They still have plenty of TP and nobody there. It's not big stock but the shelf were full. Normal stock for those small store. I still have plenty that I bought months before so didn't need any.  I bought other stuff I needed. ( I always stock on TP when it's 50% off and the last time I bought some was in January)

No store in the entire Twin Cities has TP, and when they stock it, it’s gone immediately. Fortunately, we don’t need any.  I just came from Target, and the parking lot and lines were typical for this time of day. 

I’ve been wondering if it’s necessary to stock up on food, in case of a two week lock down, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen...at least not here. 

Edited by TeamAudra

I saw something that said a family of four would have to sh*t something like 182 times collectively a day to go through 30 rolls during a two week quarantine. And since no one is going to be in a rush to be anywhere in the next two months, you can just take a shower instead of wiping.

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

No store in the entire Twin Cities has TP, and when they stock it, it’s gone immediately. Fortunately, we don’t need any.  I just came from Target, and the parking lot and lines were typical for this time of day. 

I’ve been wondering if it’s necessary to stock up on food, in case of a two week lock down, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen...at least not here. 

I think you're supposed to stock up for two weeks (that does not mean panic stock or hoard) in case you have to quarantine. But I don't think we in NA are going to get to the point where people aren't allowed to leave their homes to go to the store. Even in Italy, they can tell police they're in the street because they need to get food.

If it gets that Draconian, the measure would probably be the gov't keeping you in their quarantine after you test positive, instead of letting you quarantine at home. But it doesn't seem like that is even within our ability.

I just think it would create way too many problems to do a federal lockdown, and I don’t think it will be necessary. The goal is to “flatten the curve,” and I can’t imagine what we’re doing in most areas isn’t already doing that, even though we likely won’t see the results for weeks. There are some areas of the country where additional measures may be needed, but I think state and local governments are doing an adequate job of managing those exceptions. 

Edited by TeamAudra

I just listened to a doctor explain that there are two known strains of the virus. 

L-strain - much more aggressive and deadly 

S-strain - usually more mild symptoms. Mutated from the L-strain. 

It started off as the L-strain in Wuhan. Long term survival is typically the goal of a virus, which can result in mutations like the one the doctor described. L-strain was destroying the host too quickly, so it mutated to the S-strain.  

The S-strain has been the most prevalent strain found in the U.S. She didn’t elaborate on percentages of one vs. the other. 

There’s information on line about the two different strains, but the articles are a week or two old. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1