COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

All the schools in my state are now closed for at least six weeks. fear2.gif.7033c7e13ce052c5fafb193cfe7f96c3.gif  

I attempted to do a stock-up grocery trip today before going back into hibernation and the joke was on me. Both stores I went to were completely wiped out of household essentials. pinch.gif.e236d83ca250453a89703410cc693db2.gif There was at least food, but the stock definitely wasn't full. And so much for staying six feet away from people. The crowds and lines were insane. 😐  Going to do an online order for all I couldn't get and hope there aren't out of stock messages. cold.gif.d9372ea892393bc7f0a17e6b338aca7a.gif

21 hours ago, Dany said:

Man I tried to go to the supermarket today. People have gone batshit crazy, Horde of people, unending line everywhere.  I did a 180 and left. When to a local small shop instead nobody there. I could buy my stuff in peace without getting infected by the huge crowd :no:

it's been crazy since the news hit, every store is running out of some essentials like toilet paper, sanatizer etc. 

19 hours ago, miss denise said:

All the schools in my state are now closed for at least six weeks. fear2.gif.7033c7e13ce052c5fafb193cfe7f96c3.gif  

I attempted to do a stock-up grocery trip today before going back into hibernation and the joke was on me. Both stores I went to were completely wiped out of household essentials. pinch.gif.e236d83ca250453a89703410cc693db2.gif There was at least food, but the stock definitely wasn't full. And so much for staying six feet away from people. The crowds and lines were insane. 😐  Going to do an online order for all I couldn't get and hope there aren't out of stock messages. cold.gif.d9372ea892393bc7f0a17e6b338aca7a.gif

I order my groceries though the market's delivery service and so far they haven't run out of stuff, but I have a delivery I thought was coming today, just checked and it's now for a week away, they are too busy to do more deliveries right now pinch.gif.e236d83ca250453a89703410cc693db2.gif

On 3/13/2020 at 8:36 PM, Dany said:

Man I tried to go to the supermarket today. People have gone batshit crazy, Horde of people, unending line everywhere.  I did a 180 and left. When to a local small shop instead nobody there. I could buy my stuff in peace without getting infected by the huge crowd :no:

The grocery store I went to today was completely out of meat, except a couple turkey products, and frozen foods and non-perishables were very picked over. Lines were normal.

Places like corner stores or drug stores that have basic groceries have been completely normal, I've noticed. People aren't going there to stock up. I'm just picking up a few items at a time and have a pretty good pantry going now. 

I check several stores online and visited more today in person.... still nooo toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, paper towels, any of these essentials. 😭 Thankfully I have family allowing me to take some of their supply home, but I literally have no idea where I can purchase more of these. :dead: 

3 hours ago, istersay said:

it's been crazy since the news hit, every store is running out of some essentials like toilet paper, sanatizer etc. 

I order my groceries though the market's delivery service and so far they haven't run out of stuff, but I have a delivery I thought was coming today, just checked and it's now for a week away, they are too busy to do more deliveries right now pinch.gif.e236d83ca250453a89703410cc693db2.gif

Yep. 😢 I would like to do an order to be delivered in a week or so, but everywhere I look just says "out of stock", so I can't even place an order. :( 

The grocery store closest to me literally has a line of about 500 people just waiting to get in the damn place.  They are only letting in so many people at a time...this helps them to be able to keep the shelves stocked, but I just can't spend an entire day on a store trip.  If I don't have it I'll just have to go without it.

I hope all of these people buying up everything and hoarding realize they are creating a problem where one didn't exist.

In my state (MN), 868 people have been tested. There have been 21 positive results. None of the cases are considered severe. All are recovering at home. None of the cases were due to community spread. 

The stories of lines of 500 people are really surprising. I could walk into any grocery store, Walmart, or Target right now, get what I need, and walk out. They are out of a lot of things, though. They can’t keep toilet paper on the shelf. The supply shortage should correct itself for most things within a few weeks, but hand sanitizers, disinfectants, cleaning wipes, etc. will be hard to get for quite a while. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

In my state (MN), 868 people have been tested. There have been 21 positive results. None of the cases are considered severe. All are recovering at home. None of the cases were due to community spread. 

The stories of lines of 500 people are really surprising. I could walk into any grocery store, Walmart, or Target right now, get what I need, and walk out. They are out of a lot of things, though. They can’t keep toilet paper on the shelf. The supply shortage should correct itself for most things within a few weeks, but hand sanitizers, disinfectants, cleaning wipes, etc. will be hard to get for quite a while. 

It's surprising to me as well...especially since I live in a county were we haven't had a single confirmed case yet.  Proper measures should still be taken, but the panic buying is still ridiculous imo.  Again...these people are creating the very problem they are trying to prepare for.

29 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

It's surprising to me as well...especially since I live in a county were we haven't had a single confirmed case yet.  Proper measures should still be taken, but the panic buying is still ridiculous imo.  Again...these people are creating the very problem they are trying to prepare for.

It’s insane. There have been 60 deaths in the U.S....37 of them in one nursing home in Washington state. 

Common flu so far this season in the U.S, as of March 9th....

-30-40 million cases

-300K - 500K hospitalizations 

-20K-40K deaths. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/09/813641072/u-s-flu-season-beginning-to-ease-modelers-say

I suspect most of the people dying from coronavirus (average age 81) would die from the common flu as well. The difference, of course, is there are vaccinations available for common flu. However, not everyone gets vaccinated, and they don’t buy a year’s supply of toilet paper. 

Edited by TeamAudra

CDC now recommending no gatherings of 50 or more for at least 2 months.  Ohio and Indiana issue mandates closing all bars and restaurants statewide until at least Mar 30.  California also closes all bars and wineries statewide.  CBS Evening News doctor said tonight it's a very real possibility that the closing of bars and restaurants could become a federal mandate.

You think this country is panicking now?  Make it impossible for people to get alcohol and there will straight up be rioting in the streets.

1 minute ago, ATX29 said:

CDC now recommending no gatherings of 50 or more for at least 2 months.  Ohio and Indiana issue mandates closing all bars and restaurants statewide until at least Mar 30.  California also closes all bars and wineries statewide.  CBS Evening News doctor said tonight it's a very real possibility that the closing of bars and restaurants could become a federal mandate.

You think this country is panicking now?  Make it impossible for people to get alcohol and there will straight up be rioting in the streets.

Drinking seems to be something people are unwilling to give up. I walked by my neighborhood pub last night and it was absolutely packed. I went to the liquor store today, cause the stress of all this makes me need a drink, and the beer and wine sections were half empty.

8 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

I don’t drink, but if I did, I’d be stocking up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWG said:

Drinking seems to be something people are unwilling to give up. I walked by my neighborhood pub last night and it was absolutely packed. I went to the liquor store today, cause the stress of all this makes me need a drink, and the beer and wine sections were half empty.

Comforts and crutches.  People thinking they won't be able to get toilet paper is one thing...people thinking their comforts and crutches are gone is a whole different deal.  Those shelves could be completely empty is a day or two.

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t drink, but if I did, I’d be stocking up. 

According to CDC as much as 15% of the American population can be considered alcoholics.  I don't know this for sure, but id guess many of them are not financially able to stock up.  I work among many people like this.  It ain't gonna be pretty if/when everyone is forced to go dry at the same time.

This is something I’ll be tracking. Note the last column (Total cases/1M pop). Compared to most other countries, we’re still in good shape, but those numbers are

going to climb considerably, with community spread, and more testing. Let’s hope we can keep it under 100. Italy is in really rough shape, and there doesn’t appear to be an end in sight. 

yIgC3ed.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

4 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

Spoke to a couple of friends last night who are in the Reserves in different parts of the country.  Both are being activated.  

A mandatory lockdown is coming.

It's sad that people are incapable of congregating for a few days.

1 hour ago, Shireen said:

It's sad that people are incapable of congregating for a few days.

It really is.  But as always, people as a whole cannot be trusted to do the right thing.  A person can but people cannot.  A lockdown would would have so many economic repercussions..

But I fear it's the only way to get a handle on this thing.

2 hours ago, ATX29 said:

Spoke to a couple of friends last night who are in the Reserves in different parts of the country.  Both are being activated.  

I think they’ll start with bars/restaurants first. I’m on board with that, FTR. Confining people to their homes would create so many more problems than we can even imagine. Whatever is done has to get the seal of approval from Trump, and he’s terrified about the economy. I’m fairly certain he doesn’t want to shut anything down at all, but he’ll ultimately listen to Fauci and Birx. They are running the show right now, along with Pence. 

3 hours ago, ATX29 said:

And THAT, is the intention. When it all goes down, it's going to be too late.  The government response is above and beyond, what it needs to be, don't you all think?

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I think they’ll start with bars/restaurants first. I’m on board with that, FTR. Confining people to their homes would create so many more problems than we can even imagine. Whatever is done has to get the seal of approval from Trump, and he’s terrified about the economy. I’m fairly certain he doesn’t want to shut anything down at all, but he’ll ultimately listen to Fauci and Birx. They are running the show right now, along with Pence. 

I agree with all of this.  Trump def doesn't want anything shut down and has to consider it a last resort.  Unless I'm mistaken, Fauci is on record as saying he supports a mandatory lockdown.  He knows this "social distancing" is a half-ass measure that isn't gonna slow this thing down.  I think well see how much Trump is willing to listen to him in the next few days.