Season 16 Drama: Cade vs. Maddie

countrynineteen

Read MJ's for more details...

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-maddie-poppe-angry-at-cade-foehner-gabby-barrett-brag.htm

TLDR: Cade said his wife Gabby will be the most successful Idol ever due to her quick climbing single. Maddie got upset about it saying its a diss to his fellow S16 contestants. Gabby's Dad chimes in and calls Maddie and her fans "Snowflakes." All hell breaks loose...

Thank you for linking that article, I was trying to locate Cade's original tweet. 

You know, I honestly thought Maddie was too aggressive with her first reply to Cade, but I was expecting Cade to get his foot out of his mouth and apologize.... But that shady Jesus tweet and Maddie's dad's post just erased my sympathy for both parties.

Clearly, there was conflict in this group even during S16, as Ada implied in her replies.

I didn't even watch this season, just super bored and stumbled upon this. :roll:

It was a dumb comment for Cade to make but I don’t think he meant harm by it, though he should have apologized when people, including those he is offending with that statement, called him out for it. Maddie typically has knee-jerk reactions on SM and complains a lot, but I also don’t blame her for reacting, though maybe she should have texted Cade privately instead of putting all this out in the open.

However, according to her, Gabby’s fans and even her father have been going after Maddie since she won Idol 2 years ago. And Gabby has never told them to stop. According to Ada though, the Barrett family sounded like a nightmare BTS of Idol. There is likely more to the story than we know. 

Cade made a dumb comment but I think he was just overly excited for his wife’s success. He’s not that young, but he’s still only 23/24, and the rest are younger too. It was a misunderstanding/dumb remark that got blown out of proportion IMO but Gabby’s dad did not need to insert himself in the drama of 20 year olds. Her dad is a disgusting person and should be ashamed going after kids like that. I hope Gabby or his wife will tell him to get the hell off Facebook and stop fighting his daughter’s battles. For me, that’s really the most heinous thing about the whole situation more than the original comment Cade posted. 

Also, let’s be real: Gabby will not become the most successful Idol ever. They’re all delusional (Cade, dad, fans, Gabby herself) if they really think that. IMO it’s a super arrogant comment to make about what type of success she will have because she has ONE song climbing the charts right now. Score a few #1s and sell out some arenas first before making boisterous claims like that. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, countrynineteen said:

Read MJ's for more details...

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-maddie-poppe-angry-at-cade-foehner-gabby-barrett-brag.htm

TLDR: Cade said his wife Gabby will be the most successful Idol ever due to her quick climbing single. Maddie got upset about it saying its a diss to his fellow S16 contestants. Gabby's Dad chimes in and calls Maddie and her fans "Snowflakes." All hell breaks loose...

MJ said it best:  "No wonder Gabby is so quiet. She's got nasty surrogates doing her dirty work. Just like a politician".

• Like 2

I dislike all of these people to varying extents at this point (not just because of this mess). 

I don't really think what Cade said was all that bad tbh, considering he's hyping his wife up. Imo, Maddie is overreacting. However, Cade should have been more sympathetic with her reaction and issued an apology clarifying that he didn't mean to shade her. And his Jesus nonsense has no place here.

Gabby's dad is the worst though. An absolute dumpster fire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kresslia said:

I don't really think what Cade said was all that bad tbh, considering he's hyping his wife up.

I was late to all this, and one of my Twitter friends just informed me about it. Lol. Not going to comment on the whole controversy, but from a marriage standpoint, Cade definitely is just hyping his wife up. As a "husband", he's doing the right thing, as husbands are supposed to rave about their wives over others. 😛 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:46 AM, kresslia said:

I don't really think what Cade said was all that bad tbh, considering he's hyping his wife up. Imo, Maddie is overreacting. However, Cade should have been more sympathetic with her reaction and issued an apology clarifying that he didn't mean to shade her. And his Jesus nonsense has no place here.

lol yeah, this is how I feel. Cade's original tweet was kind of cringey but was clearly just trying to promote Gabby's "music." But his doubling down on it once his friends raised their concerns about the original statement just makes it look even worse.

I'd mostly chalk it to just teenage/young adult angst, but Gabby's dad being involved is just a mess. :rofl: 

On 2/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, mytake1 said:

MJ said it best:  "No wonder Gabby is so quiet. She's got nasty surrogates doing her dirty work. Just like a politician".

She's probably the only one with a PR team, and they (wisely) told her to stay out of the drama until it dies down, and they can release a statement. :dead: 

I've been a huge fan of Gabby's since her audition, and after she's married Cade she has seemed to have really changed or maybe her true colors have come out, but I definitely am not feeling like a big fan of hers anymore. Her father alienating half her fanbase by bashing "snowflake liberals" when I am in fact a liberal. Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with Gabby right now.

Maddie overreacts and looks for drama constantly, but it really sounds like none of them really liked Cade and Gabby all that much and it seems like Gabby's family may have been a nightmare during Idol. Maybe that's why she was once the front runner, and ended up not even making the finale.

Edited by frederick

There's ways to compliment your wife without comparing or dissing others. He could have just said "I'm proud of my wife & all she's accomplished." He didn't need to say she will be bigger than Carrie, the biggest success from their season, etc.

Everyone involved in this was wrong at some point. Cade could have praised his wife without comparing others. Also, he could have apologized after it started to gain some negative attention. Maddie was too quick to jump to post her thoughts. Same with the others that chimed in. They didn't need to post all this on social media.

Gabby's dad also needs to stop talking & not get as involved in everything with his daughter. This isn't that big of a deal because it's just between Idol contestants. But he can't keep saying negative things about people especially if she continues to be successful. This isn't the first time either. What happens if he disses other country artists, industry people, etc.? It doesn't seem like he'll stop either unless someone tells him to. Gabby isn't really saying anything, but I think she does at some point have to stop her father from posting all this stuff before a bigger issue or story happens in the future.

• Like 1

None of it really maters because Gabbys song sucks - and unfortunately Maddie can't write a hit either.

No one is going to write a great song and give it to either of these girls.  If they make it in music they'll have to write a hit for themselves.  If they can write a hit the music business gets a lot easier.  

11 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

None of it really maters because Gabbys song sucks - and unfortunately Maddie can't write a hit either.

No one is going to write a great song and give it to either of these girls.  If they make it in music they'll have to write a hit for themselves.  If they can write a hit the music business gets a lot easier.  

gabby's "i hope" is doing pretty good actually, it's still climbing the charts

This is why I like coming here, you guys are cool. Mj's crowd is biased, and out of control. Gabby is one of the most popular contestants from that year and one of the most talented, I hope was featured on cbs, she gets more airplay on fm radio than maddie does. Maddie is jealous and bitter and not acting like a winner should. She should be more respectful.

• Like 1