The Comeback
The Crown
The Office (US)
This Is Us

ELIMINATED:

BoJack Horseman

Fargo

Fargo_(TV_logo).png

Fargo is a show that I've been meaning to watch for a while since I love the movie and one that I'm 100% certain that I'm gonna love. Why cutting Fargo then? First reason: I haven't watched a single episode. Second reason: While looking at all the shows left, I could associate every single one with one ranker at least but when I got to Fargo I couldn't think of anyone. I honestly don't remember if somebody has expressed their love for Fargo or not, or if it's somebody's top favorite show so this is my main reason. 

Fargo has been running since 2014 and it has aired 3 seasons so far. Season 4 was supposed to premier in two days but it was put on hold indefinitely due to the Coronavirus pandemic. The show follows an anthology format, with each season set in a different era and with different story and characters. There's also a new cast every season with a bunch of high profiles actors showing up every new season like, Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks, Kirsten Dunst, Patrick Wilson, Jean Smart, Ewan McGregor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Chris Rock, just to name a few. 

I though the first season followed the same plot as the movie but reading the wikipedia page I see that is a different story but is set in the same universe as the movie. 

Season 1 

tumblr_n3thboTy7C1t41r5fo4_500.gifvtumblr_n3thboTy7C1t41r5fo4_500.gifv

giphy.gif

Season 1 is set in 2006 and it follows hitman Lorne Malvo who influences a local insurance salesman Lester Nygaard, with his violent and deceptives way and eventually sets a series of murders throughout the city. Meanwhile, officers Molly Solverson and Gus Grimly try to solve the crimes until it eventually lead them to Malvo and Nygaard.

Season 2

BlindImpracticalCopperbutterfly-mobile.m

Season 2 is set in 1979 and it follows the lives of a young couple that are trying to cover up a hit and run and homicide of the son of the matriarch of the Gerhardr crime family. The sheriff Hank Larsson and state trooper Lou Solverson start to investigate the crimes.

Season 3

giphy.gif

The third season is set between 2010 and 2011 and it follows the story of Ray Stussy and Nikki Swango who after trying to rob Ray's bother, become involved in a double murder case and unbeknown to them one of the victims is the stepfather of a policewoman. 

All seasons received critical acclaim with the second one getting a super high rating of 96 by Metacritic. It has also received a bunch of nominations and won a lot of them. 

I know I would love this show because it looks like my type of show and I will try to watch it as soon as I can, but a decision needed to be made and it was unfortunately Fargo's turn. Congrats to its fans (whoever they are) for keeping this show alive until nearly the end. 

P.S. Please don't cut my favorites 😘

• Sad 1

Does anyone else need an extension? There are 13 cuts left to make, and it's already late at night.

Since I posted the round quite early this morning, I'm extending the deadline a couple of hours. The new deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 AM Eastern Time.

1 minute ago, Steven_ said:

Does anyone else need an extension? There are 13 cuts left to make, and it's already late at night.

Since I posted the round quite early this morning, I'm extending the deadline a couple of hours. The new deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 AM Eastern Time.

thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliasocfan said:

I feel a migraine coming on. 

Hopefully I wake up in time for the deadline. 

If not, please forgive me and give a slight extension. 😭

Get some rest and get better, Anne. :hug: 

54 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Thank you,  Steven! :hug: 

• Like 1

Southland

image.jpeg.7c9c7cd86c5fbdf1b8fd53f19ebd5075.jpeg

Alright. I'll bite the bullet. With the number of shows and a very diverse opinions amongst the rankers, there are no easy cuts. Unfortunately, this means I have to target the show I am least familiar with. Sorry Southland. I did nearly watch this because Ben McKenzie was in it. I just couldn't make it through the first few minutes. Maybe I'll try again some day. 

The show originally started out on NBC. This was only its first season. It then moved (or was it cancelled and then revived? Have no idea) and had its next 4 seasons on TNT. Damn NBC did not treat the show particularly well. They moved the time slot after promotions. They pushed back the premiere of the second seasons by several months. I wonder if they actually spent any of that time promoting it. 

I just saw this is more character driven than a police procedural. Maybe I will have to check this show out. 

Pose

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2t7Q6BnOpaqPPgOMsXxA

I have no idea what this show is about so it's an easy cut for me to make at this point. But I finally get to find out what its about now so that's cool I guess. So off to wikipedia I go. Pose is an American drama television series about New York City's African-American and Latino LGBTQ and gender-nonconforming ballroom culture scene in the 1980s. It's another Ryan Murphy show that I am responsible for getting rid of so go me lol. It's got a decent cast of people with Kate Mara and  James Van Der Beek being the 2 names that I am most familiar with. It was nominated for a lot of awards and was critically well received so congrats to it on that honor.  The show is on FX and I can't remember the last time I actually watched anything on that network so it's not a shock that I have never heard about the show. Plus it doesn't sound like a show I would watch anyways so oh well out it goes from this rankdown now. 

8ac07d6b85e47ead3a6e1f638321489e.jpg

BOY MEETS WORLD

Making a quick cut because Tom reminded me that the deadline is almost up and thank God I checked my messenger. My migraine is just killing me slowly. I am cutting this show because honestly, I don't know this show and also it aired from 1993-2000. It ended in May too so that's like 5 months of being in the 2000s and this rankdown is about shows from 2000 and beyond. I don't know if there are other shows that are like this that are still in the competition but from staring at the remaining shows, this just stood out to me (with some other shows). Anyway, the show lasted for seven seasons in the 90s so that's good.

Boy Meets World is about the everyday events and life-lessons of Cory Matthews. The first season is when Cory and his best friend, Shawn Hunter, and they are in the sixth grade. They do not care about schoolwork even with the help and effort of their teacher, George Feeny. Their initial interests were sports but it shifted into girls. The first season is about Cory's relationship with people. With his parents, he begins to understand more and respect and love them even more. Even with his siblings, he starts to understand Eric's obsessions with girls and he becomes protective of Megan who is his younger sister. Cory's romantic interest is Topanga and he basically negs her. He basically insults and berates her when they are around each other. Topanga is also known as a smart outsider in Cory's class. 

(Will try and edit this part for the other seasons)

Anyway, the show had a cultural impact by having an interracial relationship. It also addressed topics like child abuse, sexual harrassment, and underage drinking.

That's all I can say for now to make this cut valid.

UPDATE (b/c I dunno where Steven is)

REMAINING:

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace
American Horror Story: Asylum
Black Mirror
Black-ish
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Firefly
House, M.D.
How To Get Away With Murder
Killing Eve
Lost
Mad Men
Modern Family
Orphan Black
Please Like Me
Pretty Little Liars
Sense8
Six Feet Under
SMASH
South of Nowhere
That's So Raven
The Comeback
The Crown
The Office (US)
This Is Us

ELIMINATED:

BoJack Horseman

Fargo

Southland

Pose

Boy Meets World

Friday Night Lights

Edited by Solaris

download.php?type=download&image=35029&section=1

source.gif

This show seems to have been a target for a while now, so it only makes sense to cut it now. What do I know about this show? It is considered a sports drama and revolves around high school football - that’s enough for me to pass. If it is not figure skating, I do not care about sports. And the show premiered in 2006, and it ended in 2011 which is quite impressive - I do know that a lot of people like this show but unfortunately, it is not for me.

The show also features a great cast, notably Kyle Chandler as Eric Taylor and Connie Briton as Tami Taylor - Eric is the coach while Tami is Eric’s wife and a school faculty member.  And I also know that Taylor Kitsch is in this, and I think it was his major role if I am not mistaken. With a storyline like high school football in a small town in Texas, the show tackled prominent issues in modern American culture such as family values, school funding, racism, drugs, abortion, and lack of economic opportunities. And it was quite critically acclaim for its realistic portryal of middle America; I am sure the show is good and all but I doubt I will ever watch it.

On top of that, I remember hearing about the director of the series Peter Berg making some questionable regarding Caitlyn Jenner whenn she received the ESPN award; Caitlyn Jenner is far from being perfect and the best spokesperson for trans right - please take a look at the cast of Pose for a spokeperson regarding Trans rights. However, his comments were simply transphobic and his apology did not feel authentic so more reason for it to be cut, especially considering Pose got cut, so, yeah.