The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

20 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, I value his thoughts on this much more than those of Maren Morris. I think she’s at the top of the list of people he’s referring to. 

Agreed.

And granted, I'm glad that people like Maren are speaking up to try to eliminate this kind of stuff from the community because she's probably one of the voices that more people will listen to, but they don't ever need to be the loudest voices in the room. I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words. She's got good intentions but her and so many others need to share the mic and let the others speak please. I think Keisha Renee was speaking about some racist responses she received during her time on the show but I don't recall what she said specifically. I'd be very interested in hearing more about that. Spensha, Kirk, and even Angie Keilhauer or Valerie Ponzio should have some unique perspectives as some of the POC country contestants that the show's had as well.

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Does anybody else find it funny that Nick is "coaching" Dana, a woman 15 years older than him?

I believe that's about the same gap that Adam had with Regina Love lol

Dana doesn't really need "coaching." She just needs some exposure.

3 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Agreed.

And granted, I'm glad that people like Maren are speaking up to try to eliminate this kind of stuff from the community because she's probably one of the voices that more people will listen to, but they don't ever need to be the loudest voices in the room. I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words. She's got good intentions but her and so many others need to share the mic and let the others speak please. I think Keisha Renee was speaking about some racist responses she received during her time on the show but I don't recall what she said specifically. I'd be very interested in hearing more about that. Spensha, Kirk, and even Angie Keilhauer or Valerie Ponzio should have some unique perspectives as some of the POC country contestants that the show's had as well.

I’m interested in what any of them have to say. Maren is free to speak her  mind on it, but it did feel like she was trying to draw a little too much attention to herself. I’m not sure what she’s done to support the black community. Mickey Guyton on the other hand...lots of credibility, even though her opinion differs from Jimmie’s. Of course, nobody is saying what he did is OK, and that there shouldn’t be repercussions. The context of it complicates things quite a bit for a lot of people. One thing almost everyone agrees on is that Morgan has some work to do on himself. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

If I had to guess, a significant chunk of the black community hadn't ever heard of him in the first place and probably don't care because a lot of them have probably heard/experienced worse than just another drunk white guy with a mullet randomly spew the N-word.

You’re probably right here, but that doesn’t make the situation any better. The standards shouldn’t be that low.

At the same time White people do take this situation in order to appear as saviors, which was a solid point brought tbh. Having “wokeness” from white people is great but it quickly becomes hypocritical if it actively overshadows the opinion of those actually affected.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

You’re probably right here, but that doesn’t make the situation any better. The standards shouldn’t be that low.

At the same time White people do take this situation in order to appear as saviors, which was a solid point brought tbh. Having “wokeness” from white people is great but it quickly becomes hypocritical if it actively overshadows the opinion of those actually affected.

Oh of course! I don't think anybody engaging in behaviors like Morgan's are excusable. And having people blame it on his drunkenness is pathetic, too. I'm a firm believer in the "drunk words are sober thoughts" concept and while maybe Morgan himself probably doesn't have any actual negative thoughts towards the black community (we can only hope lol), it's about time that somebody get called out and face some consequences for those behaviors. Interesting to see the country community kind of split over the issue though.

Edited by Someone648

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

I'll take Mickey Guyton, Jimmie Allen, or what the hell... even K*ne Br*wn's perspective over Maren and other allies' words.

Kane is biracial and was actually bullied for that when he was a kid. The name-calling that he experienced included that word. :no:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing. Just posting another perspective on the Morgan Wallen situation, from African American country singer, Jimmie Allen.   I think it’s worth a read. 

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/jimmie-allen-says-some-critics-of-morgan-wallen-exploiting-incident/

I’ve gotten cynical in my old age. I read this and my first thought was that Jimmie is angling to get an opening act spot on Morgan’s comeback tour.

And really, what better way to mess with people’s heads?  Boycott Morgan or support one of the few current Black Country artists?

Something interesting I noticed: Courtnie Ramirez and Lauren Diaz swapped battle partners in the knockouts. Unfortunately for them, their opponents were We McDonald and Ali Caldwell, so they were both kinda screwed lmao

edit: And I actually liked both of them so it's sad that they were kind of used as fodder for We and Ali in the knockouts

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Something interesting I noticed: Courtnie Ramirez and Lauren Diaz swapped battle partners in the knockouts. Unfortunately for them, their opponents were We McDonald and Ali Caldwell, so they were both kinda screwed lmao

edit: And I actually liked both of them so it's sad that they were kind of used as fodder for We and Ali in the knockouts

I wish Adam stole Lauren instead of Josh, I think she would've had a shot at the second PV

1 hour ago, AliXRose said:

I wish Adam stole Lauren instead of Josh, I think she would've had a shot at the second PV

She was goooood. I listened to both of the battles on Metatube, since I've just been listening to the studio recordings on spotify, and Lauren held up to her studio version! Courtnie was good, yes, but she was definitely not as good as she was on the studio recordings (and neither was Ali). We was very very good, but slightly worse than in the studio IMO cause there was one note she messed up a bit. Lauren didn't falter though. At all. I need to watch her knockout (after class lmao), but I think unless she flopped in the KOs she deserved to move on the lives.

43 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

She was goooood. I listened to both of the battles on Metatube, since I've just been listening to the studio recordings on spotify, and Lauren held up to her studio version! Courtnie was good, yes, but she was definitely not as good as she was on the studio recordings (and neither was Ali). We was very very good, but slightly worse than in the studio IMO cause there was one note she messed up a bit. Lauren didn't falter though. At all. I need to watch her knockout (after class lmao), but I think unless she flopped in the KOs she deserved to move on the lives.

listening to Lauren's KO, it wasn't as perfect as her battle. There were slight control things imo, but I could easily be wrong lol. I don't think she should have gone home after that but I think Ali's KO just blew it out of the water tbh.

Their is a power imbalance at country radio and in mainstream country that rewards the “good Black” (and women) who try to work inside the structure instead of disrupt it. Charlie pride is lionized by white country bc he didn’t spend a lot of time calling out all the hate he received.

I’m not saying this is part of Jimmie Allen’s thought process, but we should also keep it in mind. 

7 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Their is a power imbalance at country radio and in mainstream country that rewards the “good Black” (and women) who try to work inside the structure instead of disrupt it. Charlie pride is lionized by white country bc he didn’t spend a lot of time calling out all the hate he received.

I’m not saying this is part of Jimmie Allen’s thought process, but we should also keep it in mind. 

I think it’s just extremely complicated because of not only the context, but the differing backgrounds of people. Jimmie certainly isn’t saying it’s OK. He just believes strongly in forgiveness, much like the girlfriend of the President of Morgan’s label. I take them at their word. Personally, I don’t care if I ever hear another Morgan Wallen song, but I also don’t think he should be banished from ever working again, or “cancelled.” He definitely has a lot of work to do before he attempts a comeback, though. 

45 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

listening to Lauren's KO, it wasn't as perfect as her battle. There were slight control things imo, but I could easily be wrong lol. I don't think she should have gone home after that but I think Ali's KO just blew it out of the water tbh.

I actually never listen to the studios, I prefer live but I though her live KO was still very good and emotional. Alicia’s argument for not stealing her back was that she had already someone in the same lane, which is true since she had already lost to Wé (ironically she stole back Josh H. who lost to Kylie which was part of her playoffs team lmao). Anyway I think she would’ve stood out in Adam’s male dominated team but he was obsessed with beating Blake with a country artist so he stole Gallagher 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

I actually never listen to the studios, I prefer live but I though her live KO was still very good and emotional. Alicia’s argument for not stealing her back was that she had already someone in the same lane, which is true since she had already lost to Wé (ironically she stole back Josh H. who lost to Kylie which was part of her playoffs team lmao). Anyway I think she would’ve stood out in Adam’s male dominated team but he was obsessed with beating Blake with a country artist so he stole Gallagher 

Off-topic, but the fact that he couldn't achieve that in 16 seasons and Kelly literally did it on her second season is hillarious 😂😂

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

I think it’s just extremely complicated because of not only the context, but the differing backgrounds of people. Jimmie certainly isn’t saying it’s OK. He just believes strongly in forgiveness, much like the girlfriend of the President of Morgan’s label. I take them at their word. Personally, I don’t care if I ever hear another Morgan Wallen song, but I also don’t think he should be banished from ever working again, or “cancelled.” He definitely has a lot of work to do before he attempts a comeback, though. 

Many people fully believe in forgiveness, but also believe in consequences, and personal forgiveness isn't the same as professional consequences. Also Morgan hasn't been "cancelled" you can go buy and stream his music right now if you'd like. He's also got multiple headlining festival gigs set for this summer. And consequences aren't "cancelling" 

Anyways I can't speak for Jimmy, I'm merely pointing out that there is a massive power imbalance that has in the past led to some individuals not speaking out due to a fear of their own professional consequences or an ingrained culture. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

What would have happened if Mikele Buck (S15) had made lives ?

Pretty difficult to know without hearing him sing more than once. All we know he was used as fodder for Chevel. BTW, he took that well. I saw him comment on an Instagram post that he thought she would win the show, and this was around the airing of her KO. They became friends. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mistake006 said:

I don’t know if anyone knew this but Brennen Henson and Brennan Lassiter from S17 are married and expecting a child. Time really flies.

I believe it was posted here sometime ago.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Pretty difficult to know without hearing him sing more than once. All we know he was used as fodder for Chevel. BTW, he took that well. I saw him comment on an Instagram post that he thought she would win the show, and this was around the airing of her KO. They became friends. 

Yeah, it was interesting to see him as fodder. As far as we know he was Minivan´s ideal contestant: country male, beard and jeans, competent country voice, family man with two daughters, Marine veteran, etc. He is way more country than Chris Kroeze, and more in the realm of what the audience prefers than country artists like Dave Fenley or Kirk. 

Either way, he didn´t seem to care about being on the show, he picked Kelly solely because his daughters wanted him to, and she still hadn´t really proven herself to be good with country artists back then, so that pretty much says it all. And after you´ve been through tough times as a Marine, losing a singing show will not make you lose your sleep, hence the fact that he took losing well.

5 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, it was interesting to see him as fodder. As far as we know he was Minivan´s ideal contestant: country male, beard and jeans, competent country voice, family man with two daughters, Marine veteran, etc. He is way more country than Chris Kroeze, and more in the realm of what the audience prefers than country artists like Dave Fenley or Kirk. 

Either way, he didn´t seem to care about being on the show, he picked Kelly solely because his daughters wanted him to, and she still hadn´t really proven herself to be good with country artists back then, so that pretty much says it all. And after you´ve been through tough times as a Marine, losing a singing show will not make you lose your sleep, hence the fact that he took losing well.

Yeah, he took it really well. Chevel recently mentioned she still stays in contact with him, so there are no hard feelings at all. We can’t know for sure, since it was montaged, but I’m assuming she won that battle fair and square. It was such an awkward song choice for them. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Off-topic, but the fact that he couldn't achieve that in 16 seasons and Kelly literally did it on her second season is hilarious 😂😂

And she did it again in her 4th season, but this time with a MALE country artist. :giggle:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

And she did it again in her 4th season, but this time with a MALE country artist. :giggle:

Adam really couldn´t coach country. He had a couple of guys in the realm on S4 and gave them a Jason Aldean song. I was like "of course".