Has there been a country male that you supported, and if not, respected through their whole run?

Misirlou

We know country guys are the most negatively recieved type of contestants on IDF. Voting magnets, end up outlasting the snowflakes, etc.

Bryce´s audition was well recieved here and it seemed that he was gonna be a rare country guy that IDF would actually support going far. But then he started being inconsisent and now is pretty disliked. That was the case with Kenzie as well. 

But has there ever been a country singer that you supported, and if you didn´t go to that level, at least liked or respected throughout their voice run?

• Like 1

Yes, Adam Wakefield. Not my snowflake, but i surely respected him during his whole run. And i enjoyed several of his performances. 

Sundance as well, i enjoyed most of his performances. But when he won, idk, i wasn't upset, but neither i was happy, like, it was very anti-climatic, and i was just tired of that mediocre season.  

Pretty much that's it, i respected Jake to some degree but i surely rolled my eyes when he won, even though it was expected. I respect him as a contestant, but as winner, he is hands down my least favorite winner ever.

i enjoyed at least one performance from

- jordan matthew young (ko, t17, is)

- jim ranger (blind, ko, t9)

- peyton (knockout)

- ben allen (blind !!!, knockout kinda)

- tanner (blind)

- ian (blind, t17, t9)

there may be more im forgetting but idk.

eta:

- jake hoot (cover me up, desperado)

- adam wakefield (bring it on home to me)

- sundance head (blind audition)

- kenzie wheeler (beer never broke my heart)

- craig wayne boyd (whiskey ain’t working anymore)

Edited by QueenCami

Adam Wakefield was my favorite contestant on season 10, ironically I really hated his blind audition lol. But Seven Spanish Angels and Love Has No Pride are my all-time favorites, not to mention I doubt a lot of actual soul singers can pull off a I Got a Woman performance like him.

Craig Wayne Boyd is another one, although I don't necessarily like a lot of his song choices, he really can sing.

Swon Brothers' Danny's Song is one of the most classic performances on the show ever. There I said it.

Kameron Marlowe sang a reggae song during knockout, and it wasn't even Redemption Song, he has my whole respect. And of course America wouldn't like a country guy with some novelty lol. At least he seems doing well after the show.

I think there has been a lot of country guys with exceptional vocal abilities and performed very well throughout the show. I get it's tiring, but seriously, not every country guy is Jake Worthington or Red Marlow lol.

Oh, big time! I respect any country male vocalist who has a compelling voice, and while I find that most of the ones on this show don't do it for me, a few of them really have.

The biggest one I can think of is Dexter Roberts. He was my 3rd favorite in Season 16, just narrowly behind my snowflakes Shawn Sounds and Maelyn Jarmon. Ultimately, I was rooting for Maelyn to win, but I thought Dexter was amazing. He had such a strange run because he started as such a strong contender, and then started to fall behind Gyth Rigdon by the end, and I never thought Gyth was a strong or compelling vocalist at all. I was disappointed that Dexter was in his shadow because I thought Dexter was so superior. I really don't like 3 Doors Down, but Dexter's cover of "Here Without You" is absolutely stunning, and I bought it on iTunes and still listen to it very frequently.

Another big one was Craig Wayne Boyd. I was a huuuuge fan of his audition. I even bought his audition on iTunes. I agreed with everything Pharrell said about how it was so cool and creative to see the amount of improv/ad-libbing he threw into the song, and I thought he had a very strong voice. I also loved "Can't You See," "Some Kind of Wonderful," and especially "I Walk the Line." That latter one was truly special. I don't think he ever had a BAD performance, even though his solo single "My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face" was kinda cheesy and uninspired to me. I wasn't connected enough to any singers in this season to have a snowflake, and I feel like one of the few who wasn't gutted that he won over Matt McAndrew. (I actually wanted him to win over Matt, even though I marginally liked Chris Jamison and Damien more than him.)

I wasn't rooting for Jake Hoot due to there being so many absolutely amazing snowflakes that season that I loved (mostly Rose Short and Ricky Duran), but I respected him greatly. He had a beautiful and intense voice. "Desperado" is one of the show's most special country performances, and part of what made Season 17's Semifinals one of my favorite episodes in The Voice's history.

I guess this thread is not for me because more often than not, I like the country guys and gals that the experts on this forum do not like. :haha:

Yes, even Danielle Bradbery during Season 4, had more vocal critics than fans on Idolforums and many didn't like her winning over the IDF snowfllake Michelle Chamuel. My 2nd favorite girl that season, Holly Tucker, was much hated everywhere.

Anyway, here are my [unpop] favorite male country singers:

S4: The Swon Brothers (3rd)

S6: Jake Worthington (Runner-up)

S7: Craig Wayne Boyd (Winner)

S8: Corey Kent (White) [Top 8]

S16: Gyth Rigdon [Runner-up]

S17: Jake Hooot [Winner]

S22: Bryce Leatherwood and Brayden Lape [TBD]

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

1. Craig Wayne Boyd (The Whiskey Ain't Workin' + Wave On Wave + Can't You See + Some Kind Of Wonderful + You Look So Good In Love + I Walk The Line + Take It Easy + The Old Rugged Cross + In Pictures + My Baby's Got A Smile On Her Face + Boots On)

2. Adam Wakefield (Tennessee Whiskey + Can't You See + Bring It On Home To Me + Seven Spanish Angels + Soulshine + Lights + I Got A Woman + Love Has No Pride + I'm Sorry + Lonesome Broken and Blue + Angel From Montgomery)

3-7 in no order

James David Carter (Nobody Knows + Wave On Wave + You've Got A Friend)

Sundance Head (I've Been Lovin' You + Feel Like Makin' Love + The Climb + No One + At Last + Darlin' Don't Go)

Gyth Rigdon (Drift Away + Drunk Me + Goodbye Time + I Wanna Be Loved Liked That + Nobody But Me)

Jim Ranger (Blue Ain't Your Color, Humble and kind, Without You, Last, and With A Little Help From My Friends)

Kenzie Wheeler (Don't Close Your Eyes, Beer Never Broke My Heart, He Stopped Loving Her Today, The Keeper of The Stars)

There are other country singers that I like as well, but can't call them snowflakes. For instance I loved The Swon Brothers (Danny's song), Jake Worthington (Don't Close Your Eyes, Heaven), Barret Baber (Angel Eyes, I'd Love To Lay You Down, Colder Weather), Kirk Jay (Bless The Broken Road, In Case You Didn't Know), Dexter Roberts (Like A Cowboy, Here Without You, Anything Goes), Jake Hoot (When It Rains It Pours, Always On My Mind, Cover Me Up, Desperado, Duet With Kelly), JMY (Calling All Angels, Gold Dust Woman, Drift Away), Brayden Lape (Mercy, This Town), Bryce Leatherwood (Goodbye Time, Colder Weather, Amarillo By Morning). 

Bryce is one great performance away from becoming my snowflake tho.

I love Todd (insert all of his performances here). I'm just not sure whether he is country singer; Otherwise, he'd be very very high.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1

Respected and even liked Jake Hoot at his best moments. 

He had a collection of meh performances, but more than expected great performances too.

Battle, KO, Semis, Duet with Kelly in the Finale.

Everything in between was alright, but mostly average besides the big ones. That duet with Kelly was heavenly too.

10 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Respected and even liked Jake Hoot at his best moments. 

He had a collection of meh performances, but more than expected great performances too.

Battle, KO, Semis, Duet with Kelly in the Finale.

Everything in between was alright, but mostly average besides the big ones. That duet with Kelly was heavenly too.

ooh his song with kelly, i would’ve loved you, is also amazing. they performed that on the show in a later season

I will say that I had favorite male country artists that I supported but didn't want to win. Though I didn't mind them winning. My favorites were Adam Wakefield, Dexter Roberts. I disliked his audition and battle but loved him after that. I also loved Hoot, Sundance, Kirk, Carson, The Swon Brothers, I liked Adam Cunningham most of the time when he was given great song choices. I loved Kenzie's audition, battle, and knockout but that was it. I also enjoy Brayden as well along with Kameron and Kaleb. 

Kirk Jay probably has my favourite prelives of any country singer. Unique tone, heartfelt, country vocals with a slash of rnb. His ko and blind are soo good.

But overall? I'd say Adam Wakefield. He was ridiculously consistent. He might be the most pitch perfect male country singer the show has had, and probably the only time a country singer was my favourite of the season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Kirk Jay probably has my favourite prelives of any country singer. Unique tone, heartfelt, country vocals with a slash of rnb. His ko and blind are soo good.

But overall? I'd say Adam Wakefield. He was ridiculously consistent. He might be the most pitch perfect male country singer the show has had, and probably the only time a country singer was my favourite of the season.

You preferred him to Alisan?

6 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Dude Kirk Jay´s prelives were so good. I loooove his tone.

But the lives hit him hard. He was very pitchy and inconsistent throughout.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zjc19951109 said:

Adam Wakefield was my favorite contestant on season 10, ironically I really hated his blind audition lol. But Seven Spanish Angels and Love Has No Pride are my all-time favorites, not to mention I doubt a lot of actual soul singers can pull off a I Got a Woman performance like him.

Craig Wayne Boyd is another one, although I don't necessarily like a lot of his song choices, he really can sing.

Swon Brothers' Danny's Song is one of the most classic performances on the show ever. There I said it.

Kameron Marlowe sang a reggae song during knockout, and it wasn't even Redemption Song, he has my whole respect. And of course America wouldn't like a country guy with some novelty lol. At least he seems doing well after the show.

This post sums up my thoughts pretty well :yes:

9 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Dude Kirk Jay´s prelives were so good. I loooove his tone.

But the lives hit him hard. He was very pitchy and inconsistent throughout.

Well, I have to agree, but to make up for that his original song performance redeemed it to some extent

Edited by Ottoxxx