Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

4. GOD IS A WOMAN – ARIANA GRANDE

4ce400230c1a7c341bd83d8b5c5f8772.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 2

REI: 2

ANDY: 3

GIGI: 4

CHRIS: 5

RICHARD: 6

TOM: 8

AKSHAR: 9

LILY: 9

NICO: 9

QK: 9

WALLACE: 9

ERIK: 10

ALEX: 11

DEREK: 14

VICTORIA: 15

COREY: 17

STEVEN: 18

ANDY

Would way rather NTLTC be here, that cut was bizarre and totally unnecessary.

RICHARD

This isn’t my favorite Ariana song, but it’s still a strong enough track. Good production and beat, and Ariana’s deviations from the melody are solid as always. Overall, this song is a good one, but I would’ve definitely preferred to see “No Tears Left To Cry” here instead if I had to pick one of them to make the list.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117122e54ba7aaf4b50ccd706d3d4475110ef7e2cc&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Ugh Alex, now why couldn't you have cut this song rather than "no tears left to cry"? :/ :dead: I was really hoping for 2018 to be the year Ariana gets her win with "no tears left to cry" but alas that isn't in the cards now. :broken: I do think "God Is A Woman" has strong potential to win so if it does.... that's fine but I'll still feel kinda eh about it? We'll see. With all that said, I do love "God Is A Woman" from Ariana... but I feel like it's kinda a lesser than "Dangerous Woman." I think this song has this really interesting and intriguing sound to it, but also has this sensual and seductive sound to it too. Ariana does sound really beautiful on the opening chorus (and all of the choruses) throughout the song where she sings:

You, you love it how I move you
You love it how I touch you, my one
When all is said and done
You'll believe God is a woman
And I, I feel it after midnight
A feelin' that you can't fight, my one
It lingers when we're done

She sounds so beautiful there. ❤️ I do love how the song has a harder hitting beat on the verses and how Ariana sings those parts, though I don't have a standout favorite part. But I do love those parts where she sings the song really fast that goes:

(Yeah) And I can be all the things you told me not to be
(Yeah) When you try to come for me, I keep on flourishing
(Yeah) And he see the universe when I'm the company
It's all in me

That part is just so cool! :bobo: From the second verse, I love the parts where Ariana sings:

We can make it last, take it slow, hmm
And I can tell that you know I know how I want it, yeah
But you're different from the rest
And boy, if you confess, you might get blessed

I especially love how she sings that last line "And boy, if you confess, you might get blessed." Ariana really slays them vocals towards the end of the song. I love the ad-libs she showcases on those last few choruses that comes in. I also really love when that choir comes in slaying it with Ariana too! :omg:

Yeah, yeah
(God is a woman)
Yeah, yeah
(God is a woman, yeah)
My one
(One)
When all is said and done
You'll believe God
(God is a woman)
Oh, yeah
(God is a woman, yeah)
(One)
It lingers when we're done

It just feels so inspiration! :omg: But this is a great and enjoyable song from Ariana. Not one of my very ultimate favorites from her but still a song I love from her. Oh and the music video is really gorgeous, visually. I do feel certain this will rank really well and high. I think it has potential to make the Top 4. It could have potential to win but I'm not 100% sure on that.

ALEX

I’m so glad I single-handedly got the superior Ariana song into the top 20.

COREY

I can ignore "God Is A Woman" while it is playing. There are three songs on this list for which I cannot do that, and for which that is a bad thing. This is in no way singing Ariana's praises.

STEVEN

Sorry, but I don't like this song. There's too much going on in the production, and I don't think it all comes together well.

3. ONE KISS – CALVIN HARRIS & DUA LIPA

2951e72dde7c5f903a724f610e28d730.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

NICO: 3

WALLACE: 4

COREY: 5

GIGI: 5

LILY: 5

ANDY: 6

QK: 6

VICTORIA: 8

DIANA: 9

TOM: 9

REI: 10

AKSHAR: 11

CHRIS: 12

RICHARD: 12

ALEX: 14

STEVEN: 16

ERIK: 18

WALLACE

tumblr_p9v80aQy2j1tbdvauo1_540.gif

"One Kiss" is a really fun collaboration between Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa. Calvin returned to his moreso signature dance productions with this song and Dua Lipa seems like the perfect artist to sing this song. I love how the music matches and blends in so well with Dua's vocals here. I also love "One Kiss" and "New Rules" about the same amount. I struggled a bit with deciding which song to rank higher of the two as they are both fun and really good dance pop tracks, but... I'll let my rankings reveal themselves when they do. I love how Dua sings the opening verse of the song but I love how she sings the pre-chorus even more that goes:

Something in you
Lit up heaven in me
The feeling won't let me sleep
'Cause I'm lost in the way you move, the way you feel

Then I really LOVE and am totally here for that fun, infectious chorus that goes:

One kiss is all it takes
Fallin' in love with me
Possibilities
I look like all you need
One kiss is all it takes
Fallin' in love with me
Possibilities
I look like all you need

So fun and catchy! :bobo: Then I love the music breakdown after that part, which is also just as fun! :bobo: I also love the sensuality that Dua brings in the second verse where she sings:

I just want to feel your skin on mine
Feel your eyes do the exploring
Passion in the message when you smile

Ooh I do love how the song slows down in the bridge section of the song. I love how she sings that part, but I also didn't realize that part was the same as the pre-chorus parts. I guess I didn't notice with the different sound of it. :haha:

Something in you
Lit up heaven in me
The feeling won't let me sleep
'Cause I'm lost in the way you move, the way you feel

"One Kiss" is really fun, infectious and just such an enjoyable song from Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa. With this song getting so many votes in the voting round, I have no doubt that this will rank really high. It should make the Top 4 and hopefully it does.

COREY

A classic dance tune, but a rather low-key one.

ANDY

Love the production on this one. Calvin can be so good

RICHARD

I love the richness behind Dua’s voice. The song itself is fine. I could see this one being good to work out to, but I don’t get too much more from it. It doesn’t really go anywhere melodically.

STEVEN

I don't mind this as background music, but it's not a song I would ever seek out to listen to. I don't dislike the song. It's just not a favorite of mine.

2. ALL THE STARS – KENDRICK LAMAR & SZA

21fde91583f0ea888b6281d4e6ba3e2c.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

NICO: 1

LILY: 2

TOM: 3

ANDY: 5

RICHARD: 5

VICTORIA: 6

WALLACE: 6

DEREK: 7

ERIK: 8

COREY: 11

QK: 11

DIANA: 12

REI: 12

STEVEN: 12

CHRIS: 15

GIGI: 15

AKSHAR: 16

ALEX

If Kendrick & SZA survive the first update that’s essentially a win.

ANDY

Ranking high because SZA + Kendrick, the song itself could be better but I still really enjoy

RICHARD

Oh, hey… I actually somewhat like a Kendick song. I mean really, I still don’t love his part of the track, and because it makes up a sizable portion, the whole thing gets knocked down a few pegs. But the overall production here and SZA’s contribution to the song are what elevate this for me. I didn’t expect to rank this one as high as I did.

WALLACE

tumblr_p3sn4e7JJl1snyyhmo1_500.gifv

tumblr_p6bbhr3UQN1wr3a5wo1_500.gif

I really loved most of Kendrick Lamar's 2018 releases so I'm sadder this time around about him only having one song here, especially as I would have loved seeing "Pray for Me" with The Weeknd make it through to the finals as well. 😢 Oh and while I am not really big on SZA overall, this is one of my top favorite songs from her so yay for that! But yeah I think "All the Stars" is such a good and strong collaboration from Kendrick Lamar & SZA! I never would have imagined Kendrick and SZA to work together but their styles really compliment each other well on this song. I love the dark, haunting beat of the song and think it's so cool. LOL so apparently those are Kendrick's vocals on that autotuned opening? That part is kinda creepy but also kinda cool. :haha: The part that goes:

Love, let's talk about love
Is it anything and everything you hoped for?
Or do the feeling haunt you? (Haunt)
I know the feeling haunt you (Haunt)

But I LOVE and live for SZA's chorus. She absolutely slays that chorus where she sings:

This may be the night that my dreams might let me know
All the stars approach you, all the stars approach you, all the stars approach you
This may be the night that my dreams might let me know
All the stars are closer, all the stars are closer, all the stars are closer

I especially LOVE the second half of how she sings that chorus! ❤️ I love how she belts out the chorus there and sings it with so much heart there. :wub: Kendrick is just so slick and cool on his verses of the song. I love his actual first verse of the song, especially the parts where he raps:

Tell me what you gon' do to me
Confrontation ain't nothin' new to me 

you and all your expectations
I don't even want your congratulations
I recognize your false confidence
And calculated promises all in your conversation 

Look at me crazy 'cause I ain't invite you
Oh, you important?
You the moral to the story? You endorsin'?
I don't even like you 

That's how you find out who you dealin' with
A small percentage who I'm buildin' with
I want the credit if I'm losin' or I'm winnin'
On my momma, that's the realest

I do really enjoy SZA's verse on the second verse of the song. She does have that diction that can be hard to understand but that makes her voice stand out and so unique. Some of the parts I love from her are where she sings:

Yyyeeeaaaa I ain't just cry for no reason, I ain't just pray for no reason
I give thanks for the days, for the hours
And another way, another life breathin'
I did it all 'cause it feel good
I wouldn't do it at all if it feel bad
Better live your life, we're runnin' out of time

LOL so my lyrics site and the Youtube caption have completely different lyrics on some parts from SZA... so even SZA got us all confused. :dead: I don't know what's right but I do really like how she sings the latter half of her verse. "All the Stars" is a simply a fantastic song and I do really adore it. I'm very happy that I can rank it as high as 6th.... and can rank it much higher than I ranked SZA's and Kendrick's previous songs. I do hope this song can do better than how their 2017 songs did.

COREY

The vocals are unimpressive, but the beat and a subtle rhythm carry through to the end, and make it not a terrible listen.

STEVEN

I do kind of like this song, but it's one that may need to grow on me. SZA's chorus is my favorite part of the song, and I do like some of the melodic elements here too. It's got a catchy beat yet has this dreamy vibe too. Kendrick's parts don't really appeal to me, but it doesn't ruin the song for me either.

1. NEW RULES – DUA LIPA

66bbf88065fdc59fe74ad0ce182a56cb.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

VICTORIA: 1

CHRIS: 3

COREY: 3

GIGI: 3

QK: 3

RICHARD: 3

DEREK: 5

REI: 5

TOM: 5

WALLACE: 5

ALEX: 6

NICO: 6

DIANA: 7

LILY: 7

STEVEN: 7

AKSHAR: 8

ERIK: 15

ANDY

Easiest #1 for me, this song is amazing

COREY

Great danceable chanting song. These lyrics stick in my head: "If you under him, you ain't gettin' over him." Dua Lipa's voice is slightly annoying though.

RICHARD

Very solid pop song. Doesn’t quite compare to what she ends up delivering a few years in the future, but this song gives us a hint of that potential, unlike the others she released this year. Great production, strong composition, and overall, her smoky tone just works so well on the track.

WALLACE

tmp_0eiGQq_5bbde045fe187867_newrules.gif

I remember when "New Rules" was such a huge hit back in 2017/2018 and how that song was everywhere. It was kinda like Dua Lipa's first really huge hit. She had some other singles released before then (I particularly really liked "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)") but this song definitely helped her fame level raise. This is a great, fun pop song from Dua. I do like how hypnotic the music is. Something about it.... just makes you gets lost in the song, at least it does to me. I do enjoy how she sings the opening verse of the song. I especially love the parts where she sings: My love in a falsetto way.  But the best part is that pre-chorus where she sings the song really fast that goes:

One, don't pick up the phone
You know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone
Two, don't let him in
You'll have to kick him out again
Three, don't be his friend
You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning
And if you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him

:bobo:

The chorus of the song is a lot of fun and I love that part too where Dua sings:

I got new rules, I count 'em
I gotta tell them to myself
I gotta tell them to myself

Then from the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

But my love, he doesn't love me, so I tell myself
I tell myself
I do, I do, I do

She really means it with what she's singing at those "I do!" parts. 😮 The ending of the song is also a lot of fun where Dua sings:

Don't let him in, don't let him in
Don't, don't, don't, don't
Don't be his friend, don't be his friend
Don't, don't, don't, don't

"New Rules" is a really fun and infectious catchy song from Dua Lipa. I do love it, even after how it was so overplayed, I never really got tired of it. I didn't expect to rank it this high at #5 as it's not really one of my very top favorites of the year but here we are, lol. I do feel like Dua songs will do really well. I feel like she has winner potential with them but with 3 songs, that's tough as that will split up her votes and I'm not sure she can win with multiple songs like others have done but I'm curious to find out.

ALEX

I hope three Dua Lipa songs in the end shows there’s a strong contingency behind her and she can possibly save this year and win.

STEVEN

I was wondering which song was going to win before the rankings came in, but then it became obvious early on "New Rules" had it in the bag. I don't mind though since I do like this song. It's one of those overplayed songs that didn't really bother me. It's a fun and catchy song. I do like Duo Lipa's later singles better (particularly "Physical" and "Levitating"), but this is an enjoyable song too. No complaints with it winning the round.

4. Hmmm, I'm kinda surprised "God is a Woman" didn't rank higher than 4th. I thought without "no tears left to cry" that this would have done better but I guess not. Though 4th is still a great finish for this. Wow 5 #9s for this is a lot. And 13 Top 10s is impressive too. Looking at the remaining #1s, I did feel this was the song that wouldn't get any #1s. I agree with those that would have preferred "no tears left to cry"  here instead. And :claybleh: to Alex's comment.

3. Okay soo "One Kiss" coming in at 3rd isn't too surpsising but I'm surprised at which song beat it out and which song this ended up beating. :lmao:  6 Top 5 and 12 Top 10 rankings for this is all rather impressive. I do get all of the comments on this song. It's a really fun song but I can get how it's not much of a song that goes anywhere with its dynamics.

2. Whoa now "All the Stars" pulling out 2nd is a reallly impressive and unexpected shock and surprise to see here. 😮 And this song also having no Bottom 4 rankings is also impressive too. *looks more at stats* 2 #1s, 6 Top 5s and 10 Top 10 rankings are all really impressive too. Then lots of #11s and #12s in there too. I knew this would do well but was thinking like Top 8 well but not #2 well but I'm happy for it! :omg: I can get some the polarizing comments for it though.

1. Ahh yeah after "God is a Woman" showed up so quickly, there was no question I knew that "New Rules" was going to take it all and take the win. And danggg what a blow away win here too. I am not reallly surprised though. :dead: Also wowzers, some very impressive stats for this song - 2 #1s, 7 Top 3 ranks, 11 Top 5 ranks and then 17 Top 10 (or 8 ) ranks. Aww sorry to Erik on having his #15 winning though. Again, I know that feeling. Lmaoo Corey still finding something negative to say about a song he likes though. :dead: A good/decent win for Dua but I also kinda agree with Richard in that I felt like Dua's later music was better/more impressive sooo if this win prevents those songs from winning, I'll be (slightly) disappointed but we'll see. A good and deserving win nonetheless.

ROUND 20

ab67706c0000bebbbe8eff5416867ec4fed03ce6

It's time for the next round!

The first step is for everyone to ADVANCE FOUR SONGS to the next round. The songs not chosen will be eliminated.

Check the first page for the list of songs.

You don't have to post all four of your picks at once as long as you post them before the deadline.

You have 24 hours from now to post your four picks. If you miss the deadline, then we'll continue without you.

Please post ASAP.

@jarmon @Alex95 @#jeah @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @*Diana @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @QueenKalie @.Rei @rdhaley96 @~Tom~ @1234567890 @*Wallace

• Steven_ changed the title to Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2019)