Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

16. I LIKE ME BETTER – LAUV

e3f74a6d7d146e9ea2b4d8a85154ee5a.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 2

STEVEN: 3

TOM: 4

COREY: 8

RICHARD: 8

CHRIS: 9

WALLACE: 10

ERIK: 11

AKSHAR: 12

ALEX: 13

GIGI: 13

QK: 14

DIANA: 15

REI: 15

LILY: 18

ANDY: 19

NICO: 19

VICTORIA: 19

STEVEN

I actually really like this song from Lauv. It's got a nice, chill vibe to it; Lauv's laid-back delivery works well here. The song has some really catchy instrumentals too, especially that part at the very beginning of the song and then again at the end of the chorus. I ended up liking this song enough to check out some more of Lauv's music a few years ago. "Reforget" is my favorite song of his, but "I Like Me Better" is a close second.

COREY

The singing is terrible, but the instruments provide a decent hook. I do kind of like this song.

RICHARD

There’s something about this song that’s a little middling, yet in spite of that, I still like it. His mellow voice and the smooth production gel really nicely. It’s still getting banished to the “Elevator Music” playlist… but it’s for sure one of the better songs on there. xD

WALLACE

i-like-me-better-when-im-with-you-dating.gif

Ugh Bazzi was supposed to be that late 2010s 1/2 hit wonder pop/R&B guy to have a song in this year's Top 20, not some guy named Lauv. 😭 Lol I'm (kinda) kidding and bitter. But really, I do actually really like "I Like Me Better" from Lauv. I think this is a fun, cool and cute song. I do like the vibe of this song. It has a nice cool beat and Lauv's vocals compliment the beat too. I like how he sings the opening verse but I do love the chorus even more where he sings: 

I like me better when I'm with you
I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time
'Cause I like me better when

Then the dance music/beat that comes in after the chorus is really fun too. :bobo: Then from the second verse, I really like the parts where Lauv sings

Waking up in this bed next to you, swear the room yeah it got no ceiling
If we lay, let the day just pass us by
I might get to too much talking

The bridge has a really nice sound to it. I especially like the parts where he builds that part of the song up and showcases his falsetto at the end of it:

Stay awhile stay awhile, oh
Stay awhile stay awhile
Stay here with me
Lay here with me
Yeah, yeah

As I said, "I Like Me Better" is an enjoyable, fun and cute song. It does get a little repetitive towards the end but I don't mind it too much. I hadn't heard this in quite awhile but I have gotten my appreciation back for this.... enough so to make my Top 10. I'm not really sure how well this will do. I feel like it won't do too well but you just never know.

15. MERCY – BRETT YOUNG

c0351c7c9b679c8ab24deba53862ac24.500x500x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 2

QK: 2

RICHARD: 2

STEVEN: 2

TOM: 2

CHRIS: 4

VICTORIA: 7

DIANA: 10

NICO: 14

ALEX: 16

GIGI: 16

REI: 17

WALLACE: 17

COREY: 19

ERIK: 19

ANDY: 20

DEREK: 20

LILY: 20

RICHARD

Really pretty. I can’t see this placing too high, but hopefully my ranking helps it out a bit. It’s a really nice listen for sure. His husky yet smooth voice is quite pleasant to listen to, and the lyrical content and melody both work well for me. Not too much more to say about this one.

STEVEN

I'm a Brett Young fan, so I'm glad to see him in our Top 20 here. He had a strong breakthrough as "Sleep Without You," "In Case You Didn't Know," "Like I Loved You," and "Mercy" were all great single choices and successful for him. "Mercy" remains one of Brett Young's best songs in my opinion. The emotion he showcases is believable; he really sells the song well with his vulnerable delivery here. He also has a distinctive voice that sets him apart from a lot of the men in country music today. 

ALEX

I didn’t hate this.

WALLACE

giphy.gif

Well I thought I was going to rank "Mercy" much lower than this but this round went terribly for me soo this song finds itself at #17 for me. I do really enjoy "Mercy" from Brett Young and think it's a beautiful song. Again, it's one of those songs I don't regularly listen to but I appreciate it when I do. I do like Brett's voice. I like how he always pours so much heartfelt emotion, vulnerability and sincerity into his songs. He certainly does all of that here. Brett's voice sounds so rich and full on the opening verse of the song. I like how he starts off singing Mercy and then singing the next few lines. I do really like the chorus and think it's so good and powerful where Brett sings:

So if you're gonna break my heart, just break it
And if you're gonna take your shot, then take it
Take it
If you made up your mind, then make it
Make this fast
If you ever loved me
Have mercy

So good and heartfelt! 😢 But also so heartbreaking. 😢 I do enjoy the verses that he sings but don't really know my favorite parts from there. But this is a lovely and beautiful song from Brett Young. It's nice to see him having a song in the finals here, though I don't expect this to do too well. But I am curious which country song will do better between this and Dan + Shay's.

COREY

This is not a beautiful song. No, those are tears of boredom falling from my eyes. Slow and depressing, but it has a warm quality that saves it from the very bottom.

14. THIS IS AMERICA – CHILDISH GAMBINO

a135c72a3ed46149e268fb47a90c866e.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

NICO: 2

ERIK: 3

ALEX: 4

REI: 4

ANDY: 7

CHRIS: 7

DEREK: 10

QK: 12

VICTORIA: 12

RICHARD: 13

COREY: 15

TOM: 18

WALLACE: 18

AKSHAR: 19

DIANA: 19

GIGI: 19

STEVEN: 19

ALEX

It’s no Redbone but it’ll do.

ANDY

A cultural moment

RICHARD

I don’t really know what to make of this song, so I’m not sure where to rank it, ultimately. It’s interesting, for sure. I guess I’d describe it as busy? I can see why people might hold it in high regard, because there are a lot of interesting ideas here, but the whole thing is just too jarring and cacophonous for my liking. Still ranks higher than a few others for me for at least trying to do something interesting.

COREY

I wouldn't even call this a song, and yet its mindless chatter somehow sounds better than a quarter of the songs on this list.

WALLACE

this-is-america-childish.gif

Hmm I was kinda disappointed seeing "This Is America" making it through to the finals because this was just a song I was never able to really get into that much. 🙈 But this song does have a lot of fans so well done to the fans there. It's also nice to see Childish Gambino have his chance in the finals here too. But then I also think how I like "Redbone" so much more so I get a bit sad of thinking how that one didn't make it (though that 2017 year was stacked with lots of favorites). I don't dislike it but just couldn't really get into or this wasn't able to grow on me.

There are still certain parts I like. I do like how Childish Gambino sings those This is America parts on the first verse. I also like some of the chorus that goes:

Grandma told me
Get your money, Black man (get your money)
Get your money, Black man (get your money)
Get your money, Black man (get your, Black man)
Get your money, Black man (get your, Black man)

Those parts are kinda fun. The music video is well done but also quite hard to watch... It has truthful elements to it. I am curious to see how this does as I can see this being more of a polarizing song in rankings.

STEVEN

Sorry, but I'm not really a fan of this song. I understand why it resonates with people, but musically it's not something I would seek out to listen to.

13. TEQUILA – DAN + SHAY

8fe5649fa2a97b0ac0ce465f7276d719.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

QK: 1

STEVEN: 1

TOM: 1

CHRIS: 2

DEREK: 4

VICTORIA: 9

ANDY: 12

ERIK: 14

GIGI: 14

WALLACE: 14

DIANA: 16

RICHARD: 16

COREY: 18

NICO: 18

ALEX: 19

LILY: 19

REI: 20

STEVEN

"Tequila" is my favorite Dan + Shay song. This song also helped catapult them into greater success, winning them a Grammy Award. I really like the melody and lyrics of the song. Shay Mooney has one of the best voices in country music today, and he sounds terrific on this song. I especially like the part when he belts out the "Sky high in Colorado" lyric in the final chorus of the song. "Tequila" is such a great song, and there was no doubt it would rank #1 for me out of this Top 20.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b761105ec9786d1859d56a6909fd78a10818fb6312393&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Dan + Shay are amongst my current favorite country male acts of the music industry for at least the last few years or so. I do really like a number of their songs, but "Tequila" stands out as my favorite song of theirs. This is a really easy listening to and beautiful song from Dan + Shay. I do love how subtle and soft the opening verse is and they sound great there and throughout the song, especially Shay who is the lead singer of the duo. I do love how the chorus soars and how they sing that part of the song that goes:

But when I taste tequila, baby I still see ya
Cutting up the floor in a sorority T-Shirt
The same one you wore when we were
Sky high in Colorado, your lips pressed against the bottle
Swearing on a Bible, baby, I'd never leave ya
I remember how bad I need ya, when I taste tequila
When I taste tequila

From the second verse, the part that stands out most to me there is where Shay sings:

I can show up to the same bar
Hear the same songs in my car
Baby, your memory it only hits me this hard

The rest of the song is more of the chorus and the bridge with most of the same lyrics of the chorus, but it's all really good and enjoyable listening. I do love how Shay powers through the rest of the song with his ad-libs. I do really enjoy "Tequila" and it was one of my favorite country single releases in 2018/2019. The music video is also really sweet and touching... and love seeing Nyle DiMarco starring on it. I know Diana will especially love that. :giggle: Anywho, I'm not expecting this to do too well but I hope it does decently.

RICHARD

The song overall is pretty, but there’s nothing particularly distinctive about it. It’s not a terrible song, but it’s not especially distinguishable from any other country ballad out there. Just kind of eh.

COREY

The tempo is way too slow, but when played amidst this ragtag group of awful songs, you can almost hear the spirit of a rousing rock tune trying to bust its way out. Sadly, it never happens.

• Like 1

16. This is more or so an understandable spot for "I Like Me Better" to come in at. I wasn't expecting it to do really well or to do badly either. I agree with a lot of Steven's comments. LMAO Corey cracking on Lauv's singing.... yikes. :dead: And lmaooo I was also just waiting for Richard to call this onto the Elevator music playlist, which I can get with this song. :haha:

15. Ooh wow, well done to Brett Young doing so well getting his song "Mercy" to #15. I definitely thought with this being a country male song that this would have done so much worse. But wow all of those #2s (5 of them!) really helped out. 😮 But a really nice song from Brett. And yay for Alex not hating this too. :giggle:

14. Oooh "This is America" being Lily's #1 but not Alex's. 😮 Lmao I would have banked on the wrong person there. :lmao: Veryy interesting comments on Richard on this one but I get what he's saying there, actually.

13. Well, "Tequila" won the battle of the male country songs so yay it did its job here. :giggle: Lol but no, I do really like this song and am pleased with it making it to this point. Great and my favorite song by Dan + Shay! Oooh I did not see Derek ranking this at #4 but a fun surprise. 😮

Now I'm trying to think what I got left off the top of my head. :dead: Hmm I think I have the following remaining: #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 20. Pretty happy with this, haha.

More #1s and #20s revealed: 

#1s revealed (8): Erik, Rei, Corey, Lily, Akshar, QK, Steven, Tom
#1s left (10): Alex, Andy, Chris, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Nico, Richard, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (12): Corey, Gigi, Steven, Akshar, Victoria, Diana, Erik, QK, Andy, Derek, Lily, Rei
#20s left (6): Alex, Chris, Nico, Richard, Tom, Wallace

12. NEVER BE THE SAME – CAMILA CABELLO

2f569dd63fa5811fa671364c0013ec2e.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 2

WALLACE: 2

DIANA: 4

ERIK: 4

QK: 7

RICHARD: 9

CHRIS: 10

VICTORIA: 10

GIGI: 11

LILY: 12

AKSHAR: 13

COREY: 13

STEVEN: 14

TOM: 14

REI: 16

DEREK: 17

ALEX: 20

NICO: 20

ANDY

Not a huge Camila fan but this song is so good to me. It's got that indie pop style production, feels like it could be a Caroline Polachek or Charli XCX song.

WALLACE

camila-cabello-never-be-the-same.gif

I do really love "Never Be The Same" Camila Cabello. She even sang it recently on The Voice where she was a mentor for the first time with her contestant, Morgan Myles, which recently brought back a new appreciation I had for this song. ❤️ I mean... well I always really loved this song but I just haven't heard it in forever nor was it on my mind. I do like how she  sings the opening verse in a lower deeper register. It's quite.... different. But it has a hypnotic feel to it that just draws me into the song and what she's singing. But I do love how she builds up the song on the pre-chorus where she sings in a more falsetto vocal where she sings:

Just like nicotine, heroin, morphine
Suddenly, I'm a fiend and you're all I need
All I need, yeah, you're all I need

But THAT CHORUS! That chorus is what I really love and where she really shines on the song where she sings:

It's you, babe
And I'm a sucker for the way that you move, babe
And I could try to run, but it would be useless
You're to blame
Just one hit of you, I knew I'll never be the same 

It's you, babe
And I'm a sucker for the way that you move, babe
And I could try to run, but it would be useless
You're to blame
Just one hit of you, I knew I'll never ever, ever be the same 

I'll never be the same
I'll never be the same
I'll never be the same

Camila be SANGING IT at that part. :omg: I love the belting vocals she brings at the chorus, especially those "IT'S YOUUUU, BABE" parts! SO good. :omg: I enjoy the second verse but don't really have a standout favorite part. So I'll fast forward to the bridge, which is another part of the song that I love where Camila sings:

You're in my blood, you're in my veins, you're in my head (I blame)
You're in my blood, you're in my veins, you're in my head (I'm sayin')

Then I love how Camila belts out and sings the rest of the chorus. I love those ad-libs, runs and just all of those vocals she brings towards the end of the song. Oh and the emotional and vulnerable connection too. It's all so good and she brings SUCH feeling to the song. ❤️

"Never Be the Same" is a really great and enjoyable song from Camila. I was surprised with how well "Havana" did on the 2017 list. So I was expecting this to do really well here too but then this didn't dominant in the voting round for this year's songs sooo maybe it won't do as well as I expect? :dead: I think/hope it can still make the Top 10 though! If it does and does any higher then that's an extra bonus.

RICHARD

This song is a little all over the map for me. Certain parts I’m just not a fan of at all, like when she goes up into her falsetto, but the chorus that follows hits pretty hard. Overall, it’s a solid track.

COREY

This is in no way a favorite of mine, but the vocals provide some strength and originality.

STEVEN

I like the chorus of the song, but the rest is a bit underwhelming. I don't dislike it, yet it still ranks kind of low for me.

ALEX

Singing lessons…please Camila

11. WOLVES – SELENA GOMEZ & MARSHMELLO

0445f5d40ee9dfcab77e0f106b855114.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 4

QK: 5

ERIK: 5

COREY: 6

DIANA: 6

NICO: 7

RICHARD: 7

GIGI: 9

STEVEN: 10

CHRIS: 11

TOM: 11

LILY: 13

VICTORIA: 13

REI: 14

ALEX: 15

ANDY: 16

DEREK: 16

WALLACE: 20

COREY

This Selena song has more strength than the other, but is nowhere near good enough to make my Top 5.

RICHARD

This song is a mixed bag, and in most other years, it wouldn’t rank as high as it does for me, but such is the draw this time. The verses I really like, while I’m not a huge fan of the chorus. I feel like the song would work better with a more deliberate, stripped down arrangement, but as it is, this song is still solid enough.

STEVEN

The two Selena Gomez songs are interchangeable for me, but I suppose I prefer this one over the other one.

ALEX

This was not a good year for Selena she absolutely should not have two songs here.

WALLACE

selena-gomez-selena.gif

Ugh I contemplated on cutting "Wolves" and wish I had done so but somehow I decided against it, which I regret now. :/ :dead:  I do remember when this song was big and had lots of airplay but it's never done anything for me, really. I just always found this song to be boring and overrated. And I normally like most of Selena Gomez's songs as well but oh well. Oh and I also preferred Marshmello's other hit songs this year like "Happier" but especially "Friends." Selena does sound pretty here and I can get how people like this. I'm sure this will still do well and has potential to make the Top 10 so we'll see how it does.

10. BACK TO YOU – SELENA GOMEZ

8bbf0b9e3ccdf07ad9926f385d1d6cb1.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

VICTORIA: 2

AKSHAR: 3

DIANA: 3

ERIK: 6

GIGI: 6

TOM: 6

COREY: 7

QK: 8

REI: 8

STEVEN: 11

WALLACE: 12

CHRIS: 13

LILY: 14

NICO: 15

ALEX: 17

ANDY: 17

DEREK: 18

RICHARD: 20

COREY

Selena is a good singer, and that helps a bit. The tempo is not bad either.

STEVEN

The two Selena Gomez songs are interchangeable for me, but I suppose I like "Wolves" better than this one.

WALLACE

d06768821e515fdccc3981c6a1ba17a4.gif

Unlike "Wolves," "Back To You" is a Selena Gomez song that I do really like. Although while I did really like this a lot in 2018, I kinda forgot about it over the years. It's not one of those that had a major impact on me but relistening to it, I remember my positive feelings on it. This is a really pretty and cute song from Selena. I do enjoy how she sings the opening verse. I especially like the part where she sings:

You could break my heart in two
But when it heals, it beats for you
I know it's forward but it's true

Then I love how she builds the song up some more on the chorus where she sings:

I wanna hold you when I'm not supposed to
When I'm lying close to someone else
You're stuck in my head and I can't get you out of it
If I could do it all again
I know I'd go back to you 

The backing music has a cool, fun, breezy feel to it. I think it sets well with Selena's vocals. From the second parts, I love pretty much that full verse where Selena sings:

We never got it right
Playing and re-playing old conversations
Over-thinking every word and I hate it
'Cause it's not me ('Cause it's not me)
And what's the point in hiding
Everybody knows we got unfinished business

Then I love how the bridge of the song slows down and then how Selena builds the song back up where she sings:

You could break my heart in two
But when it heals, it beats for you
I know it's forward but it's true
Won't lie, I'd go back to you 

You know, my thoughts are running loose
It's just a thing you make me do
And I could fight, but what's the use?

Hmm, I do feel "Back to You" does get kinda repetitive, but I do still really enjoy it. It's a fun, cute and enjoyable song from Selena. I would love to see this rank higher than "Wolves" but it probably won't, soo ehh. But we'll see.

RICHARD

This is just generic to me. The production already sounds dated despite the song being only a few years old, and melodically, the song is a little boring. I’m left feeling pretty “meh” overall.

9. LOVE LIES – KHALID & NORMANI

b164d95f56bb17097b49af1b977bae6f.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 3

VICTORIA: 5

CHRIS: 6

ERIK: 7

GIGI: 7

TOM: 7

LILY: 8

REI: 9

ALEX: 10

NICO: 10

DEREK: 11

RICHARD: 11

DIANA: 13

ANDY: 14

AKSHAR: 15

QK: 15

STEVEN: 15

COREY: 16

WALLACE

RedDependentIndianpalmsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_p49131RU8D1v9hlpxo1_540.gif

Well, I didn't really expect to advance "Love Lies" through to the final voting round when the 2018 round came about but.... you're welcome, "Love Lies." :haha: I do love this song but loved some other songs more that didn't make it through but that's how the game goes sometimes. :bye2: But still, I am glad to see this make it through to the Top 20.  I do love the smooth, subtle R&B feel of this song. I love what both Khalid & Normani bring with their vocals to the song as well. Since Khalid's verse is first, I'll start with him. I know and get how he can be an acquired taste (and sometimes he is that way with his music). But I do really love his verse here, especially the parts where he sings:

I need a lover to trust, tell me you're on my side
Are you down for the ride?
It's not easy for someone to catch my eye
But I've been waitin' for you for my whole damn life

Then the pre-chorus is great where he sings:

Don't be afraid to tell me if you ain't with it (you ain't with it)
I see you're focused, yeah you're so independent (independent)
It's hard for me to open up, I'll admit it (I'll admit it)
You've got some to say and I'm here to listen

I love the chorus, where both Khalid & Normani sing, that goes:

So baby, tell me where your love lies
Waste the day and spend the night
Underneath the sunrise
Show me where your love lies

:bobo:

While I do love Khalid's parts, I do love Normani's parts even more. :wub: I love the sensuality and smoothness that she brings to this song as well. Oh and this was her first single outside of Fifth Harmony, which I think was a great way to showcase herself as an artist. I love her entire verse, but especially the parts where she sings:

Are you into me?
When it feels so good, but it's bad for you
Can't say I don't want it 'cause I know I do
Come on over, I need your company

:wub:

Then I also really love how she sings the pre-chorus of the song, which is the same as Khalid's pre-chorus (so I won't requote it). But I just love her sensual vocals there. :wub: But then I really enjoy the bridge of the song that Khalid & Normani both sing. 

If you're down, don't hide it
Feelin' me, you don't gotta deny it
Baby you gon' make me overnight it
Tell me, are you down?

They sound so good together. ❤️ Then I love the ad-libs that Normani sings towards the end of the song, like how she sings "show me where your looveee lliiieeessss." :wub: She also kills it with her dancing in the music video too!

RICHARD

I think this is an okay song. I wanted to like it more. Ultimately, I feel like Khalid and Normani’s voices just don’t gel that well. In spite of that, I do like the production and overall composition here.

STEVEN

This is a song that could grow on me with more listens. But for now, it ranks here for me.

COREY

This song gives me the energy to sit up in my chair, rather than lie down and wait to die. You can hear an actual melody backing up the singers. It's still not worth listening to.

12. I'm not surprised that the rankings for "Never Be the Same" are all over the place. I didn't expect two #20s for it and thought one of those would have gone to Taylor. :haha: I do love the song and happy it made it this far though I wish it could have made it a little higher. Interesting latter comment from Andy here.

11. Oooh whoa, I was not expecting "Wolves" to miss the Top 10, but yay no complaints from me about that, tbh. :giggle: I did expect this to be her higher ranked song but again, I'm good with this showing up. 9 Top 10 and 9 Bottom 10 ranks so it balances out. I do agree with Alex that Selena didn't need two songs here. 

10. Omgg oh wow, sooo both of Selena songs really showed up back to back. Wow I was not expecting that but that's pretty cool. But then again I think that happened in 2016 with her solo songs then too sooo I guess it makes sense. :haha: I do like "Back to You" much more so yay for this ranking a little higher. Oooh and this also has 9 Top 10 and 9 Bottom 10 ranks so it balances out again too. :haha: Also interesting how both Richard and I ranked one Selena song last and the other at a decent spot. 

9. Oooh I think I am pretty content and pleased with "Love Lies" coming in 9th here. Pretty decent and solid showings overall for this to have no Bottom 4 rankings (and no Top 2 ones). I don't know or think I was expecting this song to do so well but yayy glad it did. And 10 Top 10 ranks is pretty cool too.

Hmm I think I have the following remaining: #1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 15. Ooh yay all are in my Top 15 and 6/8 are in my Top 10. Happy with that!

No new #1s revealed but more of the #20s revealed.

#1s revealed (8): Erik, Rei, Corey, Lily, Akshar, QK, Steven, Tom
#1s left (10): Alex, Andy, Chris, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Nico, Richard, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (16): Corey, Gigi, Steven, Akshar, Victoria, Diana, Erik, QK, Andy, Derek, Lily, Rei, Alex, Nico, Wallace, Richard
#20s left (2): Chris, Tom

1 hour ago, #jeah said:

The taste jumped out

The Goldbergs Thank You GIF by ABC Network

I wasn't expecting to rank "Never Be the Same" 2nd when we got to the 2018 portion of the game, as it's like my 6th favorite song of the year but then most of my favorites got cut so that helped. :dead: Glad I could rank it 2nd to help you out with it though. :hug: ❤️ 

8. BOO'D UP – ELLA MAI

01cff9c5d2f6bd11c39dd867756d9c05.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ERIK: 2

LILY: 3

VICTORIA: 3

AKSHAR: 7

CHRIS: 8

WALLACE: 8

STEVEN: 9

QK: 10

ANDY: 11

DIANA: 11

REI: 11

ALEX: 12

COREY: 12

GIGI: 12

NICO: 13

DEREK: 15

RICHARD: 15

TOM: 17

WALLACE

tumblr_p8s88arqoE1rdibb3o1_540.gif

I have always loved "Boo’d Up" by Ella Mai. This is a song I am pleased and happy to see make it through to the finals, which I wasn't really sure if it would have. "Boo’d Up" is a really smooth, sweet R&B song and I just love the sound, vibe and Ella's vocals on this. ❤️ Ella has such a cool voice here. I love how she sings the opening verse that goes: 

Feelings, so deep in my feelings
No, this ain't really like me 

Feeling, like I'm touching the ceiling
When I'm with you I can't breathe
Boy you do something to me

I love how Ella sings the pre-chorus of the song:

Ooh, now I'll never get over you until I find something new
That get me high like you do, yeah yeah
Ooh, now I'll never get over you until I find something new
That get me high like you do

Then I love how Ella sings the chorus of the song, which is really cute, enjoyable and catchy that goes: 

Listen to my heart go ba-dum, boo'd up
Biddy-da-dum, boo'd up
Hear my heart go ba-dum, boo'd up
Biddy-da-dum it just won't stop, it go
Ba-dum, boo'd up
Biddy-da-dum, boo'd up
Hear my heart go ba-dum, boo'd up
Biddy-da-dum, it just won't stop, it go

Such a sweet and romantic song! :wub:  Ella delivers it all so well! The second verse is just as great as the first verse. I especially love the parts where she sings:

How many ways can I say that I need you, baby, it's true
I think I might die without you
Feeling all over my body

The bridge is another strong and great part of the song that I love too. I don't love the first part of it as much as the latter part of it. But yeah the part I really love is where Ella sings:

You got me boo'd up, boo'd up
Boo'd up, boo'd up
Told you from the jump I'm the one to choose
Ya got me boo'd up, boo'd up
Boo'd up, boo'd up
Grab me by the waist baby, pull me closer

:wub: 

"Boo'd Up" is such a great smooth jam that introduced us to Ella Mai as I hadn't heard of her before this song. I do love this song from her. I hadn't loved another song nearly as much as this one from her, so if she only makes one appearance in the finals of this game, I'm glad it's with this song. ❤️ Hmm I do wonder and am curious how well this song will rank. I feel like this will get a mix of high and low rankings.... actually I don't really see super low rankings but probably not such divisive ranks? I have no idea, really.

STEVEN

I forgot about this song, but it sounds familiar after listening to it again. I like the vibe here, and the song has a sweet sentiment too. I enjoyed this.

COREY

The title, sung with enthusiasm, is repeated at strategic points throughout this otherwise mediocre song, and that is enough to beat out eight other songs on this list. Pathetic!

RICHARD

Ladies and gentlemen… please welcome the newest addition to my “Elevator Music” playlist! It’s about time I had another woman join the list, because so far, it’s just Katy in the song from last year whose name already escapes me. That’s how not distinctive the entire playlist is… so this one should fit right in.~

7. FINESSE – BRUNO MARS FEAT. CARDI B

2b009800bcc45dc70518f9b7360ff90a.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

RICHARD: 1

WALLACE: 1

COREY: 2

DEREK: 3

LILY: 4

VICTORIA: 4

STEVEN: 5

ALEX: 8

DIANA: 8

GIGI: 8

ERIK: 9

NICO: 12

AKSHAR: 18

ANDY: 18

REI: 18

QK: 19

CHRIS: 20

TOM: 20

RICHARD

Bruno Mars has been somewhat hit and miss over the years, but this song is definitely a hit. It’s just so earwormy. Great production and vocals, and it has a groove that’s just really infectious. I almost hear a little Boyz II Men on this one, which is definitely a plus. I could listen to this song over and over and not grow tired of it. Clear #1 from this group, and it’s not even close.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b761145b9c5380d27706f71d5078c225da3e464c18d3a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

finesse-bruno-mars.gif

Probably to no surprise, but I absolutely love "Finesse" by Bruno Mars and Cardi B and think this song is an absolute JAM! :bobo: While I am really happy and SO grateful that Lily advanced this to the finals with me, I didn't really expect to rank this at #1. I thought a few of my other really big favorites would have been fine and protected but then.... I lost like 4 of my Top 6 songs of the year. 😭 :dead:  Ugh I never had such bad luck like that in this game (well 2014's round was up there) and that is still so painful. :broken: But I got no regrets advancing this as I got to help out both Bruno and Cardi B make it to the Top 20 with just one doing! I'm especially happy to have some Cardi B in the finals, as she was done SO dirty this round. Ugh. 😢 

Anywho, I always loved the original solo version of "Finesse," but I think adding Cardi B on the song... I think was a genuis idea. I love the old school fun flavor of this song which is straight up 90s and fun! :bobo: I love the beat and what both artists bring to the song. I also love the fun, crazy style that Cardi brings to this song too. She kills it on her opening verse! I love her entire verse but I guess some of my very standout favorite parts from her are where she raps:

Drop top Porsche (Porsche), Rollie' on my wrist (wrist)
Diamonds up and down my chain (aha)
Cardi B, straight stuntin', can't tell me nothin' 

It's my big Bronx boogie, got all them girls shook (shook) 

Bruno sang to me, while I do my money dance like ayy
Flexin' on the 'Gram like ayy
Hit the Lil' Jon, okay (okay), okay (okay)
Oh yeah, we drippin' in finesse and getting paid, ow

SO MUCH FUN! :bobo: But then I love and am totally here for the cool flavor and style that Bruno brings on his parts throughout the song! Right from his opening line where he sings, Ooh, don't we look good together? I AM HOOKED. :bobo: Then I really love how he sings the end of the first verse and the pre-chorus that goes:

Yeah, I know we'll turn heads forever (forever)
So tonight, I'm gonna show you off 

When I'm walkin' with you
I watch the whole room change
Baby, that's what you do
No, my baby, don't play
Blame it on my confidence
Oh, blame it on your measurements
Shut that down on sight
That's right

Then the chorus is a total groove and swerve, y'all! :bobo: I love the feel of it and it's just so fun and catchy!

We out here drippin' in finesse
It don't make no sense
Out here drippin' in finesse
You know it, you know it
We out here drippin' in finesse
It don't make no sense
Out here drippin' in finesse
You know it, you know it

:bobo: I BE OUT HERE DRIPPIN IN FINESSE! :bobo:

Anywho, Bruno kills it on the second verse and I love that entire part where he sings:

Now slow it down for me, baby (slow it down now)
'Cause I love the way it feels when we grind (we grind)
Yeah, our connection's so magnetic on the floor
Nothing can stop us tonight

Then the bridge is just straight up more fun and greatness to the song. I love those parts where Bruno sings:

Fellas, grab your ladies if your lady fine
Tell her she the one, she the one for life (woo)
Ladies, grab your fellas and let's do this right (do this right)

But then yesss more Cardi comes in on the next part! I love how Cardi does most of the vocals there then Bruno kills it with those vocal ad-libs there. :bobo:

Yeah, we got it goin' on, got it goin' on
Don't it feel so good to be us? (ayy)
Yeah, we got it goin' on, got it goin' on (yeah)
Girl, we got it goin' on
Yeah, we got it goin' on, got it goin' on (hey)
Don't it feel so good to be us, ayy? (feels so good on you)
Yeah, we got it goin' on, got it goin' on

They just continue bringing all of that fun jamming towards the end of the song and I just love it so much! WE GOT IT GOING ON, GOT IT GOIN' ON! :bobo: Bruno kills it with those vocal ad-libs and I just love how he always bring killer vocals to his songs, whether they are uptempo songs or ballads. 

"Finesse" is just so fun, infectious and it's just a song that  just makes me SO happy and always puts a smile on my face! :bobo: The music video is so much fun and I love how it was inspired by In Living Color. I have no idea how this song will rank here nor any expectations for it but I am just hoping for the best and that it ranks well!

COREY

All around feel good song, but doesn't have the tempo or the awesomeness of my #1.

STEVEN

This is such a fun song. Bruno really delivers on this track. He sounds terrific while having tons of charisma too. He makes it look so effortless. Cardi is a fun addition, even though I don't think she was totally necessary. Bruno is the star here, but it's still a fun collaboration. I'm puzzled by some of the very low rankings since this is such a standout song out of this Top 20.

ALEX

Cardi snuck into the top 20 well_hello_lets_celebrate_that.gif

6. DELICATE – TAYLOR SWIFT

353ff5b58f6b2b376c324c6da846d21a.850x850x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

DIANA: 1

GIGI: 1

STEVEN: 4

AKSHAR: 5

REI: 7

ANDY: 8

RICHARD: 10

ERIK: 12

TOM: 12

DEREK: 13

QK: 13

WALLACE: 13

COREY: 14

VICTORIA: 14

LILY: 15

NICO: 16

ALEX: 18

STEVEN

"Delicate" was my favorite track on reputation when it was released, but other songs have risen above it for me since then (particularly "Getaway Car"). But I still like "Delicate" a lot. It's got such a cool vibe to it, and I especially like the chorus of the song. It's a pretty chill, yet catchy song. From the beats to the effects on Taylor's vocals, the production choices all come together well here.

ANDY

Actually forgot, this is a good song. I give reputation so much crap but it does have Getaway Car so can we really hate on it?

RICHARD

Considering Taylor’s landed in my top 3 the last four years, this ranking might surprise some people, but this song is really only just okay for me. I like parts of the production and the almost Imogen Heap sort of influence here, but everything else comes across as somewhat generic.

WALLACE

d0bfbcd5-767f-49ce-b50d-09666f8b1509_tex

"Delicate" was such an interesting single release off of reputation because it doesn't feel or have that have that sound as the other reputation singles. It's not dark, edgy or polarizing like those other songs. When this was first released, I was a bit disappointed by it and not really too fond of this as a single. But then this was one of those slow grower/burner type singles that grew on me slowly but surely the more I heard it. I'm glad that happened as I do really like this now. I do like how she starts off singing the chorus with that ~weird effect on her vocals and it does kinda have that eerie sound where she sings:

This ain't for the best
My reputation's never been worse, so
You must like me for me

It's so interesting to me. But then I do love how the verses of the song gets faster and more uptempo. I especially love the part where she sings:

Dive bar on the East Side, where you at?
Phone lights up my nightstand in the black

Then I love how she sings the pre-chrous and chorus of the song that goes:

'Cause I like you
This ain't for the best
My reputation's never been worse, so
You must like me for me
Yeah, I want you
We can't make
Any promises now, can we, babe?
But you can make me a drink 

Is it cool that I said all that?
Is it chill that you're in my head?
'Cause I know that it's delicate (delicate)
Is it cool that I said all that?
Is it too soon to do this yet?
'Cause I know that it's delicate
Isn't it? Isn't it? Isn't it?
Isn't it?
Isn't it? Isn't it? Isn't it?
Isn't it?
Delicate

Such a unique and cool sound to it. Then I also like how the second verse gets more uptempo and fun once again, especially the parts where she sings:

Third floor on the West Side, me and you
Handsome, you're a mansion with a view
Do the girls back home touch you like I do?

The bridge isn't my favorite but I do like how she showcases her deeper lower vocal register there. Overall, "Delicate" is a really cool and enjjoyable song from Taylor. The music video is reallly interesting and lmao it looks like she was certainly having a lot of fun filming this with all of her dancing. :haha: It's always interesting figuring out how Taylor songs will rank here because that can be tough to predict. I feel like this is a well liked song amongst her fans, so I think it has potential to make the Top 4, if not, then it should surely make the Top 8.

COREY

This song has enough melody to qualify as a song. #14.

5. IDGAF – DUA LIPA

4a995dedfa8cb89e1e0364021d7a7963.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2

ANDY: 4

NICO: 4

QK: 4

ALEX: 5

DIANA: 5

REI: 6

COREY: 9

DEREK: 9

AKSHAR: 10

LILY: 10

TOM: 10

VICTORIA: 11

STEVEN: 13

CHRIS: 14

WALLACE: 15

ERIK: 17

RICHARD: 19

ANDY

Dua's first album had so much filler but New Rules/Be the One/IDGAF are all fantastic singles (Be the One is my favorite of them all)

COREY

Tempo is sub-par; melody is fine; the lowest ranked song that I actually considerable enjoyable, although it is a very mild joy.

STEVEN

I can't remember if I heard this song before or not, but maybe I have? Either way, it's not one of my favorite Dua Lipa songs. I don't mind it though. It's got a low-key vibe, yet it's still kind of sassy too. It's decent enough.

WALLACE

tumblr_p2k99eYT4i1v9gh4vo2_400.gif

Ugh, did we really need 3 Dua Lipa songs here? :dead: Admitally, I do love the other two songs of hers here. But I personally could have done without "IDGAF." Now, I do like this song from Dua. I especially like her feisty IDGAF attitude that she delivers the song with here. She shows off that attitude well in the verses, chorus and all throughout. From the first verse, I like the part where she sings:

Go find a girl who wants to listen
'Cause if you think I was born yesterday
You have got me wrong

Then on the pre-chorus, I really like those parts where she sings: So I cut you off and I've been done. I love how she sings those parts so quickly and how fast and hard the beat of the song hits there. :bobo:

Then the chorus is a lot of fun, where she has that attitude and sings the chorus that goes:

You say you're sorry
But it's too late now
So save it, get gone, shut up
'Cause if you think I care about you now
Well, boy, I don't give a
😮 

I enjoy the second verse as a whole, though I don't have a standout favorite part there. I do really like the bridge of the song where she sings:

I see you tryna' get to me
I see you beggin' on your knees
Boy, I don't give a 
So stop tryna' get to me
Tch, get up off your knees
'Cause, boy, I don't give a 
About you
No, I don't give a damn
You keep reminiscin' on when you were my man
But I'm over you
Now you're all in the past
You talk all that sweet talk, but I ain't comin' back

I like the light and sweetness she has in her voice at that part. But yeah "IDGAF" is a fun, enjoyable and catchy song. I do enjoy it more and have a bit more of an appreciation for it after re-listening to it after not hearing it for awhile. I still prefer a number of other Dua Lipa songs more over this but at the same time, I also enjoy this more than some of her other songs so I guess it balances out? :haha: 

RICHARD

This one is just kind of tepid and underwhelming for me. It sounds like a P!nk single that flopped. It’s not necessarily bad, but I don’t particularly feel anything when listening to it other than perhaps a slightly nagging feeling of wanting to listen to something else instead.

8. Oooh I wasn't expecting "Boo'd Up" to rank so high and come all the way in at #8 but yayy really happy with how well this song did. 😄 8 Top 10 ranks but then a lot of #11s and #12 rankings in there and just one Bottom 5 rank, which I guess were helpful. Yikess at Corey's comments. So harsh on these songs. :dead: And lol of course not surprised this makes Richard's elevator music list. :haha: Some good songs on that list tho. 😘

7. Oooh "Finesse" did better than what I was expecting as well. The rankings for this song surely are all over the place  but I am not too surprised there. :haha: Happy to see lots of Top 5 rankings and then a lot of #8 rankings. Then ooof a number of Bottom 3 ranks but not... 5 isn't too bad. I was expecting this to be Tom and Chris' #20s, so not surprised there. But ooooo this being Richard's #1 was a great pleasant surprise! :omg: YAYY and slayy for that Richard! ❤️ And love his comments on this one too! Also love Steven's comments here (though disagree on the Cardi bit :giggle: ). And yess to Alex, happy to have gotten some Cardi in here somehow! 11 Top 10 ranks is a beautiful thing to see and very happy with that.

6. Hmm this is a good spot for "Delicate" and not surprised with it coming in at 6th. I think I expected this to make the Top 4 as the much more polarizing LWYMMD did really well so this doing just one spot better is kinda surprising. I do agree with a lot of Steven's comments here. Kinda surprised seeing this only have 8 Top 10 ranks but then a lot of higher up Bottom 10 - of those #12/13/14 aren't too bad.

5. Ooh phew, I was getting kinda scared Dua was gonna get a 3-peat in the Top 4, but I'm glad that "IDGAF" was the one to miss out here. :ph34rwave: This is a cool and fun song and nicee that it got 12 Top 10 ranks. I knew it would do well and rank really high but I just didn't want it to win. :lmao: Hmmm very interesting comments from Richard on this one. I never thought that but could make some sense.

Hmm I think I have the following remaining: #4, 5, 6, 9. Well at least all of the songs in the Top 4 are in my Top 10 so that's a step up from last year's round. :dead:

I'm fine with any of these songs winning though would most be happy with any of my #4 through #6 winning, but I think my #9 winning.

More #1s revealed and the rest of the #20s revealed.

#1s revealed (13): Erik, Rei, Corey, Lily, Akshar, QK, Steven, Tom, Richard, Wallace, Chris, Diana, Gigi
#1s left (5): Alex, Andy, Derek, Nico, Victoria

#20s revealed (18): Corey, Gigi, Steven, Akshar, Victoria, Diana, Erik, QK, Andy, Derek, Lily, Rei, Alex, Nico, Wallace, Richard, Chris, Tom
#20s left (0): 

18 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Lol Dua Lipa with 3 of the top 5. Should be a runaway for New Rules, maybe an upset from God Is A Woman.

I think it's between those two songs as well. :yes: 

I'm not surprised with Dua having 3 songs in the Top 5 as I was expecting her to have a Lady Gaga run here. But maybe she'll be able to pull off the win?