AI 19 ● Top 12 ~ Oscar Nominated Songs ● Discussion

istersay

Just now, *Wallace said:

Lol opening the show is NOT the death spot. Going 2nd or 3rd is. :haha: 

Hazuki was right. Statistically speaking, more people have been eliminated going first than in any other performance slot. 😘

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, idol_angst said:

So they just want to squeeze all the tears out of Hunter, huh?

AND AVA??? I’m actually shocked. 

21 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Wait Hunter is going home...pls

Lmaooo yerah like we were all buying Hunter was going. :lmao: 

Ava going was a real surprise though.

21 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Ava’s Drivers License momentum finally died. 😢

Yeah such a shame. :( I thought she was the best the night she sang that. :( 

21 minutes ago, sublymonal said:

I expected this but I had hoped it would be Caleb or Alyssa 😒 

Same.

Ugh. Not happy with these results. Gutted Ava went home. Shocked. I thought she had a huge fan base.. 😢Sad to see Beane go as well but kinda expected it since he just made it in last week plus he didn’t have the best performance. 

I have quite a few contestants who made it through that I am not a fan of.. Alyssa, Caleb, Willie etc (he’s good but not my style at all.. reminds me of Ruben Studdard who is one of my least fave winners ever) 

I had a ton of faves in the top 24 and just like that I’m down to only Hunter, Chayce and Casey left. Please oh please let them last a while longer. 

And for the love of God, I do not want Arthur to return 🙄 I hate that twist.. why not just give Ava the damn spot? 

Usually good social media #'s in recent years do predict who gets far on Idol. Ava had one of the worst social media #'s in the entire Top 12. She was one of my favorites, but knowing that her social media #'s was low I knew unfortunately she wouldn't likely get far.

24 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Tomorrow's episode is not coast to coast. :(  Oh well. 

Awww no, so sorry on that. :( I wonder why it's like that on Sundays but not Mondays?

22 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Honestly that was always a cap on her placement in the competition. She probably is the best "fit" for a pop career, but she doesn't have the vocals to make it far in a singing competition. Only guys can coast on a limited vocal range.

Ah yeah this is all so true. Ava is a ready made pop star and can totally fit in today's industry for sure.

20 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Maybe vote splitting really did play a role!  That, and performing in second.  That might have made her forgettable.

I wonder why it’s easier for guys to coast on a limited vocal range than girls.

It's just always been like this. I can't really explain why.

28 minutes ago, Raphy said:

Madison was the last contestant left my age. I officially feel old 😶

28 minutes ago, MargoK said:

I cannot stand Arthur’s “singing!” I don’t want him to win this year!!!

Same. :( 

27 minutes ago, sublymonal said:

Results aren’t live. We vote and then the winner will be announced two weeks from now when the show comes back.

Ooh gah the results aren't live? Ughh thats annoying. And jeez show won't be back in 2 weeks? I thought we were getting a show next Monday.

27 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Because the audience is probably mostly girls and they find them attractive. I mean look at the reaction to Hunter breaking down. A female contestant would not have been extended even a quarter of the grace he has received. 

Ooh gah yeah this is true.  Not to generalize voting, but a vocal limited attractive guys can coast by much more than a vocal limit attractive women, for sure.

23 minutes ago, Elliott said:

The returnees aren't in LA yet so it makes sense. They'll be told their results Tuesday morning and then fly out to LA to quarantine for 10 days. :haha:

Ooh wow this is all so interesting. :lmao: 

28 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Hazuki was right. Statistically speaking, more people have been eliminated going first than in any other performance slot. 😘

Ooh weird. Usually it's better to open up the show than go 2nd or 3rd, as you are more easily forgotten in those spots.

23 minutes ago, Niki said:

I had a ton of faves in the top 24 and just like that I’m down to only Hunter, Chayce and Casey left. Please oh please let them last a while longer. 

And for the love of God, I do not want Arthur to return 🙄 I hate that twist.. why not just give Ava the damn spot? 

Ooh that reminds me, I had lots of faves in this Top 24 too but now I'm down to about 5 of them. Tonight was a real bad hit for me. :dead: 

Yeah I'm not feeling this new twist at all either. Like I feel bad for last year's contestants getting robbed of a proper season and their chance of performing on the Idol stage. I really do. But I am over that and them now. 🙈

37 minutes ago, Elliott said:

You mean like Brooke White surviving over Carly Smithson & Syesha Mercado?

That never happened. Syesha was literally the last non-David standing, and even then the producers felt the need to bus her with the "judges' song choice" in Top 3. (And according to CSAB, it shouldn't have even worked; Archie had enough of an off night that Syesha had the Finale on merit even if he hadn't been eliminated by "We Can Work It Out", or as they so memorably called his version, "We Can Out".)

And Brooke was an early frontrunner too. Look at her trajectory on WNTS; she's pretty solid until around Top 7 where she just craters. Probably the third-biggest meltdown in Idol history, behind Jason Castro (that very same season!) and Jasmine Trias.

1 minute ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

That never happened. Syesha was literally the last non-David standing

Thanks for the history lesson of things I already knew, but I was clearly specifically referring to the Top 6 show, where Brooke was safe and Carly & Syesha made up the bottom two.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Awww no, so sorry on that. :( I wonder why it's like that on Sundays but not Mondays?

Ah yeah this is all so true. Ava is a ready made pop star and can totally fit in today's industry for sure.

It's just always been like this. I can't really explain why.

Thanks. :(  And yeah, you saw but it's because there aren't results at the end of the show. I wish it could still be live anyway. :haha: :(  I guess I'll rejoin you all to watch in two weeks. 

7 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ooh that reminds me, I had lots of faves in this Top 24 too but now I'm down to about 5 of them. Tonight was a real bad hit for me. :dead: 

Yeah I'm not feeling this new twist at all either. Like I feel bad for last year's contestants getting robbed of a proper season and their chance of performing on the Idol stage. I really do. But I am over that and them now. 🙈

I only started out with like three favorites. :dead:  And lost two of them. 

The last part. :dead: 

5 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Lmaoo you gotta let me know as I am so clueless. 😢 :dead: 

I will. :giggle: 

45 minutes ago, taylorkat said:

I'm glad I don't vote like that.

I will cop to having voted on looks in past seasons, but deep into the past. I voted for "the other Haley" back in Season 6 and Kristy Lee in Season 7 and that was probably largely driven by them being very attractive women. But then I kind of missed Seasons 8 and 9, and when I came back in Season 10 the biggest knockout was also legitimately the most talented contestant around (the one true Haley).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Thanks for the history lesson of things I already knew, but I was clearly specifically referring to the Top 6 show, where Brooke was safe and Carly & Syesha made up the bottom two.

And again, that was a foregone conclusion. As much as I hate to praise ABC Idol for their aversion to having a show in which only one contestant is eliminated (and no, S17's Top 6 doesn't count), it does cut down on the Sesame Street Effect, and S7's Top 6 was one of the most stark examples of the SSE in action. Brooke sucked, and Jason sucked, and everyone else was really good, and Brooke and Jason's fans voted like crazy to try to get their contestant one more week over the other one and they both advanced easily. And since the remaining two contestants were David and David...yeah.

I'd say that the SSE was also a large factor in the aforementioned voting pattern that I copped to in my last post. The first half of Season 6 was one long Sesame Street Effect--Haley Scarnato was never terribly good, but she was never as bad as Sanjaya. The two of them SSE'd a number of (sometimes-deserving) contestants, and then the moment Sanjaya put up an actual quality performance, Haley was gone, with Sanjaya following a week later.

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Disgusting... her start and stops made for great TV though lol

Brooke white is one of the MOST TALENETED SINGERS THEY HAD. She deserved her spot.

11 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

Usually good social media #'s in recent years do predict who gets far on Idol. Ava had one of the worst social media #'s in the entire Top 12. She was one of my favorites, but knowing that her social media #'s was low I knew unfortunately she wouldn't likely get far.

I forgot about the low social media part.  Hunter probably had a higher social media number than her.  Of course, that’s probably because Ava wasn’t featured much in the audition phase, so she had a higher mountain to climb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...