American Idol General Discussion

istersay

I don't think Idol ever cared about contestants mental health after the show. They only care about the contestants that have post-show success. Some of these successful contestants such as Jax, Lauren Alaina, etc. have said there was problems after the show mentally, physically, etc. and this was when Idol had more resources & money to do something.

Also, in the last several years there is a 19 showcase event after the show. They have alums participating who are already signed to 19. I could see some of these participating alums especially the one's who got farther in the competition think there was at least a possibility of getting signed to 19. I mean Idol fans did assume that Allegra Miles, Iam & others were signed or at least had a good chance to be signed that participated at these events. 

Edited by ptebwwong
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzXnz0BsOYi/?igshid=NDI2aGRvZDgyYW5k

This is kinda ironic considering that we were just talking about in the other thread how Colin is the only S21 alumni to get signed - Haven was just signed today by BBR Music Group (the same label as Colin)! I'm happy for her, but also questioning if this will be a good choice since this is primarily a country label... One thing about Idol is that they are gonna push everyone into the country genre! 

Edited by m1key

8 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

So is Iam really not signed?

MJ's isn't a place I care to visit. 

But if country artists are all Idol cares about... That's a load of bull. imo 

Iam is not signed.

His coronation song is licensed to BMG, but his subsequent singles are credited exclusively to 19 Recordings.

Also, the 19 R Spotify playlist that Elissa Felman put together doesn’t include any of his songs.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, KelseyW said:

I don't like that Idol seems to only care about country artists & I'm a country fan. However, I think there are a few factors here to consider. BMG which is affiliated with Idol does have artists in a variety of genres, but they are primarily known for the country genre (BBR or Broken Bow Records). It makes sense that if the primary labels are all country based these are the artists that will likely be signed. 

Also, I think Idol likely knows their audience. There's a lot of people here on IDF that are sick of country. But every season we have country contestants getting very far (some IMO that shouldn't) due to the public & audience. I'm not saying that Idol should disregard the country loving audience, but there are times I feel like these contestants get more promo, better edits, etc. than other non-country contestants. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KelseyW said:

So is Iam really not signed?

MJ's isn't a place I care to visit. 

They're probably just trying to hold on to their core viewer base - which is more rural, white women 60+.  Idol has lost a lot of viewers over the years.  

Think about when the show was at its peak (Season 1-11), there were only 2 Country winners.  There was definitely more representation with Pop, Rock, R&B, singer song writer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

They're probably just trying to hold on to their core viewer base - which is more rural, white women 60+.  Idol has lost a lot of viewers over the years.  

Think about when the show was at its peak (Season 1-11), there were only 2 Country winners.  There was definitely more representation with Pop, Rock, R&B, singer song writer.

That, and today’s music just sucks IMO lol. Rock isn’t even a genre anymore that I know of. Soul music definitely doesn’t exist on modern radio. It’s either country, rap, or really terrible bubblegum pop with people singing in cursive. Back when Lee DeWyze and David Cook won, they fit in with the current music scene with bands like Kings of Leon, Switchfoot, etc. The show’s best bet for success is with country singers. If they were to cast an Olivia Rodrigo pop type of girl, she wouldn’t win or would quit like Kenedi did (and she hasn’t went anywhere on her own merits so she should’ve just stayed on the show.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

That, and today’s music just sucks IMO lol. Rock isn’t even a genre anymore that I know of. Soul music definitely doesn’t exist on modern radio. It’s either country, rap, or really terrible bubblegum pop with people singing in cursive. Back when Lee DeWyze and David Cook won, they fit in with the current music scene with bands like Kings of Leon, Switchfoot, etc. The show’s best bet for success is with country singers. If they were to cast an Olivia Rodrigo pop type of girl, she wouldn’t win or would quit like Kenedi did (and she hasn’t went anywhere on her own merits so she should’ve just stayed on the show.)

I agree with all of this and it's definitely interesting to think about the current state of the music industry interacting with shows like Idol and The Voice. I do think you overlooked one big genre at the moment: the indie/folk scene! Ever since Taylor released folklore/evermore that genre has entered and stayed in the mainstream. There are many up and coming artists right now who are apart of it like Phoebe Bridgers (and boygenius), Noah Kahan, and Zach Bryan. Not to mention the pop girls who have dabbled into it like Billie, Olivia, and Taylor. 

I think Idol's best shot at a female winner at this point is through this genre. The indie/folk types are usually beloved within the fandom and they have potential to appeal to Team Minivan as well. Plus we know this genre can win because Maddie did it (and sorta Gina Miles on The Voice but she was more pop with indie/folk undertones to me.)

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m1key said:

I agree with all of this and it's definitely interesting to think about the current state of the music industry interacting with shows like Idol and The Voice. I do think you overlooked one big genre at the moment: the indie/folk scene! Ever since Taylor released folklore/evermore that genre has entered and stayed in the mainstream. There are many up and coming artists right now who are apart of it like Phoebe Bridgers (and boygenius), Noah Kahan, and Zach Bryan. Not to mention the pop girls who have dabbled into it like Billie, Olivia, and Taylor. 

I think Idol's best shot at a female winner at this point is through this genre. The indie/folk types are usually beloved within the fandom and they have potential to appeal to Team Minivan as well. Plus we know this genre can win because Maddie did it (and sorta Gina Miles on The Voice but she was more pop with indie/folk undertones to me.)

Taylor Swift actually began her career as a Country singer.   Fact is that the most successful from the ABC era have been Country singers.  And Country singers have gotten more record deals.   Look at Haven.  She had the singer song writer Swiftie vibe to her - and she just sign to a Country label.

The winner is no longer guaranteed a contract.  That changed the year Chase won.  Iam has not been signed.  But Colin got a deal not too long after the show ended.

Edited by mytake1

I just saw Iam live on October 26th and apart from being a little green with concert banter/knowing how to intro his covers and originals...

He killed it. In western, PA of all places. You know we are famous for Gabby now but you couldn't pay me to care about her... lol

ANYWAY. Iam has an niche audience yes, but Hawaiian fans and others all know he's the real deal. SO he's only 19 so what.

My fandom aside. I think he has seriously gotten star potential similar to Ruben Studdard. Imo But hey out of all the artists I've followed from Idol only Haley Reinhart and Kris Allen are constantly wowing me with their performances and original music 10 plus years or so after becoming a fan of them!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, mytake1 said:

Welcome to the music industry.  It's a tough business.  And Idol fans are notorious for abandoning contestants. They hype up their favorites, but once the show is over, they move on.   For example, on IDF - it's all about the girl singers - the Queens.  But no one is talking about them anymore.

Polls means nothing.  The best way to support a favorite is to buy their music, see their shows.  And for the alums, they have to build a fan base outside the show.  

People, including Idols, do move on. I'm sure some of them work good everyday jobs outside of entertainment, but others who try to stay in it are struggling. Even if you finish high up, you should never completely quit your previous job or stop going to school. The fame will eventually fade unless you're one of the few who manage to make the permanent breakthrough.

We can look at old finalist and semi-finalist lists - and I'm sure the vast majority of them are now just everyday 30, 40 year olds with families.

9 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

I just saw Iam live on October 26th and apart from being a little green with concert banter/knowing how to intro his covers and originals...

He killed it. In western, PA of all places. You know we are famous for Gabby now but you couldn't pay me to care about her... lol

ANYWAY. Iam has an niche audience yes, but Hawaiian fans and others all know he's the real deal. SO he's only 19 so what.

My fandom aside. I think he has seriously gotten star potential similar to Ruben Studdard. Imo But hey out of all the artists I've followed from Idol only Haley Reinhart and Kris Allen are constantly wowing me with their performances and original music 10 plus years or so after becoming a fan of them!

It was a different show back then.  There were a lot more opportunities.  The industry was also different.  There was no Voice or AGT.  Streaming wasn't how it is now.  There was no Tik-Tok.

But a lot of the ABC alums would have had more success if they were on the show when it was at its peak.  Likewise, I think a lot of the FOX alums from the earlier years - would have tougher time if they had to compete on the show today.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mytake1 said:

It was a different show back then.  There were a lot more opportunities.  The industry was also different.  There was no Voice or AGT.  Streaming wasn't how it is now.  There was no Tik-Tok.

But a lot of the ABC alums would have had more success if they were on the show when it was at its peak.  Likewise, I think a lot of the FOX alums from the earlier years - would have tougher time if they had to compete on the show today.  

Absolutely. The shortened format would’ve made it almost impossible for someone like Kris or Haley to make it past the first couple rounds. Then you think about how Jennifer Hudson had to be chosen as a Wildcard AND she was in the bottom two the first week of the Top 12. 

On the other hand you have people on the ABC version who really could have blossomed had they not been cut in a mass elimination. 

• 1 month later...

Kinda random but Katy Perry has been heavily teasing that her new era will be starting this year. I have a feeling it will begin around the time the live shows start so she can promote various singles during the live episodes. 

However, I also have a feeling this will be her last season as a judge since she has also expressed that she wants to do a World Tour. That would likely conflict with Season 23 filming.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, m1key said:

Kinda random but Katy Perry has been heavily teasing that her new era will be starting this year. I have a feeling it will begin around the time the live shows start so she can promote various singles during the live episodes. 

However, I also have a feeling this will be her last season as a judge since she has also expressed that she wants to do a World Tour. That would likely conflict with Season 23 filming.

oh damn, wonder who could replace her if that actually happens. Also finally excited for a new era from her!

• Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 10:25 AM, m1key said:

The live shows should be about the contestants, not the judges.  She likely will only perform at the finale.

They can work around the schedule with touring.  Idol doesn't demand that much of her time.  She also has a school age child.  That will factor in how much touring she is willingly to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And in other Idol winner news, Chayce Beckham's winner single "23" has debuted at #71 on the Billboard Hot 100! The ABC era winners are beating the flop allegations today :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kamil24 said:

any reason why Chayce's winners' single is suddenly taking off almost 3 years later?

It is currently in the Top 20 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. It already went #1 on Canada's Billboard Country Airplay chart weeks ago. The label finally sent it to radio after seeing it was still getting good streams & buzz years later.

Edited by ptebwwong