Why female country singers are not as popular as male country singers?

Gustavo527

Every season, we see a lot of male country singers getting very far in the competition, but the same seems to does not apply to female country singers. Of course, there are exceptions, like Danielle, Emily Ann, Lauren, Spensha and Chevel, but overall, the number of country males that make it to the finale seems to be far superior than the number of females of that same genre (even if some of the country males are really average) 

I can answer that in one word: misogyny

mi·sog·y·ny
/məˈsäjənē/
noun:
1.  dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

--------------------------------------------------

It's just a reflection of the mainstream country genre.  Country radio in particular.  I could make a argument that format essentially hates women. 

This is the current top 20 on Country radio.  2 females, 18 males.  To be clear, this is typical of the gender mix on country radio. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Everything Spurrious said, plus the show brings in a lot more country males than country females, probably for that reason. This season, we have a very seasoned 30 year old female country singer. She can do everything Alisan can do and more. It will be a good test to see where we’re at. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Spurrious said:
I can answer that in one word: misogyny

mi·sog·y·ny
/məˈsäjənē/
noun:
1.  dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

--------------------------------------------------

It's just a reflection of the mainstream country genre.  Country radio in particular.  I could make a argument that format essentially hates women. 

This is the current top 20 on Country radio.  2 females, 18 males.  To be clear, this is typical of the gender mix on country radio. 

country.JPG.d0c087fc0eb753424337d06725177403.JPG

Hes Right GIF by moodman

• Like 5

While I'd like to put the blame mostly on radio, I do think many of the genre's main audience do prefer male artists. When I look at just Spotify streaming for country males compared to country females, there's usually a notable difference. Many A-list male artists have several songs with 100 million+ streams. The A-list female artists generally need a crossover song to reach that # of streams. Many males including non-A-listers get 100 m+ streams with just a big country hit. Maren Morris is the only female artist that consistently has 100 m+ on Spotify for country or crossover hits. Not even Carrie or Kelsea Ballerini does.

There's a disconnect with the streaming audience for country females. It makes me think it's the genre's audience because with streaming they can pick what they listen to, unlike radio.

Edited by ptebwwong
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, TeamAudra said:

Everything Spurrious said, plus the show brings in a lot more country males than country females, probably for that reason. This season, we have a very seasoned 30 year old female country singer. She can do everything Alisan can do and more. It will be a good test to see where we’re at. 

So far, the test isn’t going so well. It’s not often they bring in a country singer of her ability, yet she’s already being used as fodder. That says it all. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

So far, the test isn’t going so well. It’s not often they bring in a country singer of her ability, yet she’s already being used as fodder. That says it all. 

If the predictions that she could reach Finals/Semifinals were true, then she will have no problem winning the IS.

BTW, this glaring issue makes Chevel’s win over Team Blake’s male country singers that much more impressive, especially since Kirk was being pimped so hard. Looking back, I’m thinking they might have been trying to split the country vote even more, by setting him up for success in every way possible. I doubt the vote was ever close. 

I didn’t watch the season, but I have a hunch Danielle won easily too. 

S4: Danielle 

S15: Chevel 

Yes, their age was helpful, but we’ve had lots of female, teen country singers on the show who couldn’t generate much support. Being teen of any genre doesn’t guarantee anything. S19 could make it 4 straight seasons without one in the finale. 

Cassadee sang a few country songs, but whether she counts is debatable. 

Other than that, Lauren got robbed, and Spensha and Emily Ann made the finale on the strength of Team Blake. 

Anyway, it’s a sad situation that I don’t see changing any time soon. TPTB and the coaches are part of the problem. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

BTW, this glaring issue makes Chevel’s win over Team Blake’s male country singers that much more impressive, especially since Kirk was being pimped so hard. Looking back, I’m thinking they might have been trying to split the country vote even more, by setting him up for success in every way possible. I doubt the vote was ever close. 

I didn’t watch the season, but I have a hunch Danielle won easily too. 

S4: Danielle 

S15: Chevel 

Yes, their age was helpful, but we’ve had lots of female, teen country singers on the show who couldn’t generate much support. Being teen of any genre doesn’t guarantee anything. S19 could make it 4 straight seasons without one in the finale. 

Cassadee sang a few country songs, but whether she counts is debatable. 

Other than that, Lauren got robbed, and Spensha and Emily Ann made the finale on the strength of Team Blake. 

Anyway, it’s a sad situation that I don’t see changing any time soon. TPTB and the coaches are part of the problem. 

This is one thing about which I was so thankful in season twelve.  The main country representation was female, and all seven of them had good to great amounts of talent (Lauren Duski, Brennley Brown, Andrea Thomas, Casi Joy, Ashley Levin, Valerie Ponzio, and Sheena Brook).  The only two country males we had either got no chair turns (Branden Martin) or ended up on a non-Blake team and quickly got dispatched (Taylor Alexander).  At least for once, there wasn't a country guy to gum up the works, because you'd know that he'd always have pretty much guaranteed safety at least until semifinals.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Rodney said:

This is one thing about which I was so thankful in season twelve.  The main country representation was female, and all seven of them had good to great amounts of talent (Lauren Duski, Brennley Brown, Andrea Thomas, Casi Joy, Ashley Levin, Valerie Ponzio, and Sheena Brook).  The only two country males we had either got no chair turns (Branden Martin) or ended up on a non-Blake team and quickly got dispatched (Taylor Alexander).  At least for once, there wasn't a country guy to gum up the works, because you'd know that he'd always have pretty much guaranteed safety at least until semifinals.

They didn’t bring in big country male threats in season thirteen or fourteen either. Maybe they decided females winning every season wasn’t good for business. That said, the ratings haven’t been stellar lately. 

Edited by TeamAudra

On 9/7/2020 at 4:57 PM, ptebwwong said:

While I'd like to put the blame mostly on radio, I do think many of the genre's main audience do prefer male artists. When I look at just Spotify streaming for country males compared to country females, there's usually a notable difference. Many A-list male artists have several songs with 100 million+ streams. The A-list female artists generally need a crossover song to reach that # of streams. Many males including non-A-listers get 100 m+ streams with just a big country hit. Maren Morris is the only female artist that consistently has 100 m+ on Spotify for country or crossover hits. Not even Carrie or Kelsea Ballerini does.

There's a disconnect with the streaming audience for country females. It makes me think it's the genre's audience because with streaming they can pick what they listen to, unlike radio.

Naw….that is still a radio fueled issue.   Radio is the format that introduces the public to new artists and music.  Spotify is a poor source for new music and/or artists unless you already know what you are looking for.  How would you know what to look for if radio isn’t playing it.  Sure, you could get lucky or catch a hint from social media if you follow someone plugged into new music.   There is no real substitute for 1000’s of radio spins to gain awareness.    

Furthermore, if you dig into the airplay numbers you can see radio disfavors females not just in the number of females but , in a general sense, radio plays women more at overnight when the audience is smaller.   Just read the charts, and almost without fail, females have lower audience exposure per spin than the males do.  I assume that is because they are a little sensitive to the accusations of misogyny but still wish to hide female spins to the extent possible.    

#IntuitionalizedHate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spurrious said:

Naw….that is still a radio fueled issue.   Radio is the format that introduces the public to new artists and music.  Spotify is a poor source for new music and/or artists unless you already know what you are looking for.  How would you know what to look for if radio isn’t playing it.  Sure, you could get lucky or catch a hint from social media if you follow someone plugged into new music.   There is no real substitute for 1000’s of radio spins to gain awareness.    

Furthermore, if you dig into the airplay numbers you can see radio disfavors females not just in the number of females but , in a general sense, radio plays women more at overnight when the audience is smaller.   Just read the charts, and almost without fail, females have lower audience exposure per spin than the males do.  I assume that is because they are a little sensitive to the accusations of misogyny but still wish to hide female spins to the extent possible.    

#IntuitionalizedHate

I'm not saying that radio isn't a major factor. I've been following country radio for years so I know that's a major issue. There are many issues going on.

I was pointing out that the female artists that do have Top 10 hits like Kelsea, Maren, Carrie, Carly Pearce, etc. usually those hits have way less streams than Top 10 hits of male artists including non-A-listers. So I'm not comparing a single that gets low airplay. This shouldn't be happening. It shouldn't be happening for YT videos either of hit singles. I think a factor in why these videos gets many views are because too many people are falling for the artist & basically become fans/stans.

Basically, I think some of the country audience does has something to do with it. The power of female fans for instance. Once they fall for these country guys like Kane Brown, Morgan Wallen, etc. they're hooked & will buy anything they sell. It's similar to me as talent competitions when a male contestant has a voting bloc (Ex. Team Minivan) that will keep liking & voting even when there's better people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

I'm not saying that radio isn't a major factor. I've been following country radio for years so I know that's a major issue. There are many issues going on.

I was pointing out that the female artists that do have Top 10 hits like Kelsea, Maren, Carrie, Carly Pearce, etc. usually those hits have way less streams than Top 10 hits of male artists including non-A-listers. So I'm not comparing a single that gets low airplay. This shouldn't be happening. It shouldn't be happening for YT videos either of hit singles. I think a factor in why these videos gets many views are because too many people are falling for the artist & basically become fans/stans.

Basically, I think some of the country audience does has something to do with it. The power of female fans for instance. Once they fall for these country guys like Kane Brown, Morgan Wallen, etc. they're hooked & will buy anything they sell. It's similar to me as talent competitions when a male contestant has a voting bloc (Ex. Team Minivan) that will keep liking & voting even when there's better people.

Regarding streaming, I wonder why we don’t see the same gender disparity in pop music? Female pop fans stan just as hard, if not harder. The answer is most likely  that they stan both male and female pop stars, equally. The next step is figuring out the reasons the same isn’t true in the country genre.....

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Regarding streaming, I wonder why we don’t see the same gender disparity in pop music? Female pop fans stan just as hard, if not harder. The answer is most likely  that they stan both male and female pop stars, equally. The next step is figuring out the reasons the same isn’t true in the country genre.....

Yes, pop music fans can stan for both male & female artists. I generally don't think that's the case for country fans. Many can stan several artists, but generally I find them to be fans of the same gender. That's also a reason males dominate the genre.

11 minutes ago, ptebwwong said:

Yes, pop music fans can stan for both male & female artists. I generally don't think that's the case for country fans. Many can stan several artists, but generally I find them to be fans of the same gender. That's also a reason males dominate the genre.

Yeah, but why is that? Could it have something to do with marketing of male country artists? Radio? It can’t be “just because.” I honestly don’t know the answer either, but it wasn’t that long ago that we didn’t have this gender disparity. Remember Shania, Dixie Chicks, Taylor, Faith, etc. WTF happened?