Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Taylor Swift: Part 2

tumblr_netiu9z87z1qhzi2jo1_500.gifv

Live footage of me entering my dentist appointment. Which was wild by the way. The hygienist (whom I love and will be sad to leave her when I eventually leave Wisconsin) was like "So sorry I'm late. My last patient slapped me" and then as she was cleaning my mouth she told me that I had the most saliva she had ever seen from any patient and I felt very complimented. As I figure that's an achievement and a compliment. Anyway, Taylor Swift. I can't wait to see what's in this set.

#25: Ronan

GlisteningAdoredBinturong-size_restricte

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhWIkT6ryeM

Average: 18.60

Rankers:

Elliott: 6

Priscilla: 6

QK: 7

Victoria: 7

Derek: 9

Amanda: 19

Chris: 19

Wallace: 21

Rei: 24

Andy: 25

Megan: 25

Lily: 26

Diana: 27

Steven: 28

Gigi: 30

If this Top 31 didn't feature like 6 songs that I don't think should have made the Top 31, this song would have easily made my own personal yet objective Top 31 in like the 31st spot if I were doing this solo. Maybe I will return to my TAYLOR list which I let slide because all of a sudden she's just releasing more and more albums! As somebody whose lost somebody to childhood cancer this song makes me want to cry every single time I hear it. I know that when I hear it on Red (Taylor's Version) that I will be INCONSOLABLE. 

Amanda

On 7/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, *Amanda said:

19. "Ronan"

This might take the cake for most heartbreaking Taylor song (either this or Soon You'll Get Better, which she wrote about her mom's cancer battle). This one she wrote about Ronan Thompson, a four-year-old boy who died from a Neuroblastoma. The song was inspired by his mother Maya's blog posts, and Maya is credited as a songwriter for this. Taylor's only ever sung it twice - once at a benefit for cancer and once when Ronan's mom was in the audience at one of the 1989 tour shows. But yeah, definitely at the top of the list when it comes to heartbreaking songs.

Favorite Lyrics:

Come on baby with me, we're gonna fly away from here
Out of this curtained room in this hospital grey, we'll just disappear
Come on baby with me, we're gonna fly away from here
You were my best four years

Chris

On 7/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, *Chris said:
  • Ronan I am not ready for the re-recorded version 😢 

Wallace

On 7/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, *Wallace said:

Ronan

Aww this is such a sad and heartbreaking song. I remember first hearing this from Taylor on a Stand Up to Cancer special. This is a beautifully written song and so heartbreaking about the little boy named Ronan who passed from cancer. Not a song I listen to regularly as it’s so sad but I do appreciate it.

Rei

On 7/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, .Rei said:

24. Ronan - The backstory of this song is obviously heartbreaking. I can only imagine what this meant for the family of Ronan.

#24: invisible string

1f2c8890a4f6901ca892aa8dd7097daa.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuFnpmGwg5k

Average: 18.27

Rankers:

Andy: 2

Elliott: 4

Derek: 5

Rei: 5

Megan: 6

Gigi: 9

Amanda: 20

Chris: 22

Diana: 26

QK: 28

Victoria: 28

Lily: 29

Priscilla: 29

Wallace: 30

Steven: 31

With 6 rankings in the Top 10 matched by 6 rankings in the bottom 5, this is by far one of the most polarizing songs in the Top 31. PLZ Steven tell me that I messed up your rankings again and can raise this by a couple of points :haha: Anyway, I think that lyrically, this is one of Taylor's best off of the already incredibly strong and EXTREMELY UNDERRATED IN IDF folklore/evermore albums. (At times I do like to treat them as essentially one long album). It's in my Top 3 of folklore so I am glad it made it to this Top 31. Even though like over half of you have demonstrated with your rankings that you have awful taste. 🙂

Andy

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, #jeah said:

2. Invisible string - My favorite Taylor song lyrically, it makes me want to fall in love. Besides the beautiful message, I think it’s actually really catchy and the guitar here is really lovely

Rei

5. invisible string - Tying you to meeeeeeeeee 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶 Love this of course!

Amanda

20. "Invisible String"

Well, I didn't intend to rank this so low but uh, it's one of my lesser favorite Folklore songs. I would've preferred one of Cardigan/My Tears Ricochet/August/Illicit Affairs to be here instead, but either way, I'll take any Folklore representation. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful song, I just have so many favorites in the Top 20 and as I was compiling it, this ended up here. I still like it though.

Favorite Lyrics:

Cold was the steel of my axe to grind
For the boys who broke my heart
Now I send their babies presents
Gold was the color of the leaves
When I showed you around Centennial Park
Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven

Chris

• Invisible Strings Might ranked it a tad bit higher than I would have ranked it because I am afraid that it will get tank for being from "folklore" - it's certainly is a highlight from folklore but not my top favourites; I would have preferred a few more songs from folklore over this one. 

Wally

invisible string

Pretty, easy listening and soothing song. It does stay on the same level so I would have liked more levels and dynamics to keep me engaged in the song.

#23: Our Song

IncompatibleWindingGrasshopper-size_rest

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb2stN7kH28

Average: 18.20

Rankers: 

Lily: 4

Andy: 6

Gigi: 6

Wallace: 15

Diana: 16

QK: 17

Victoria: 17

Elliott: 19

Rei: 19

Steve: 20

Priscilla: 22

Megan: 26

Amanda: 27

Chris: 28

Derek: 31

Actually, this is the song I would have chosen from the eponymous Taylor Swift. It's a real banger. And I think kind of head and shoulders among most of her first album stuff. The only song that compares is IMHO "Tim McGraw." But this is the song that I would love to hear the Taylor's Version of. ThoughI ranked it lower, I don't really have any problem with it being the Taylor Swift representation in this Top 31. 

Andy

6. Our Song - I prefer Taylor’s first album to a couple of other later ones, oops. I was hoping to see more representation of this album. Our Song is probably my favorite song off the album though so glad to see it in the final vote. Definitely jammed to this a lot in middle school lol

Wallace

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

Our Song

tumblr_ntfbu8x8hc1r2n0vxo1_500.gif

I was kinda surprised with some of the strong love for “Our Song” as I was expecting this to be one of the singles that would eventually get cut or lost in the shuffle amongst other favorite singles + album tracks. I’m glad that’s not the case as I do reallly like this song. But i am sad this is the only representation of the Taylor Swift album, as I would have preferred “Teardrops on My Guitar” and/or Picture to Burn” here instead but oh well.

But I do really like “Our Song” and think this is a really cute, fun and adorable song. It’s the 2nd song that I really got to learn from Taylor so this was helping me become a fan of hers. The chorus is one of the cutest choruses ever:

Our song is the slamming screen door

Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window

When we're on the phone and you talk real slow

'Cause it's late and your mama don't know

Our song is the way you laugh

The first date: "Man, I didn't kiss her, when I should have."

And when I got home ... 'fore I said, "Amen"

Asking God if he could play it again

So cute! ❤️ Although i also kinda forgot how country twangy her voice was on this song. :haha: But this song is a great blast from the past. I am happy it's here in the finals.

Rei

19. Our Song - This is the first time I’m listening to this song and it is exactly how I imagined a song from her first album would sound like. It is a great song though.

Amanda

27. "Our Song"

Yeah, the debut album was done really dirty, but still, this wouldn't be my pick for an inclusion in the final ranking. My top favorites from the debut are Teardrops On My Guitar, Should've Said No and Tim McGraw, so. Still, this  is a cute and fun song and definitely the most country of any of her songs by virtue of being from the debut album. The music video was cute too. It just doesn't stand up to the rest of the songs in this final ranking for me.

Favorite Lyrics:

I was ridin' shotgun with my hair undone
In the front seat of his car
I grabbed a pen and an old napkin
And I wrote down our song

Chris

• Our Song: Unsure if this opinion is unpopular or not, but I never really cared for this song even when it was released as a single. Sure, it was very on brand of her debut album but it was always one of my lesser fave of the album. I do look forward to the re-recording to hear her voice on it considering how it has matured ever since. And I do hope or wish that she changes the lyrics to "real low" instead of "real slow" because it just makes sense. 

#22: Last Kiss

original.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ebhLz13Ug

Average: 17.60

Rankers: 

Priscilla: 1

Victoria: 3

QK: 4

Amanda: 7

Chris: 9

Rei: 15

Steven: 18

Diana: 22

Elliott: 23

Megan: 23

Derek: 24

Andy: 28
Wallace: 28

Gigi: 29

Lily: 30

This honestly just doesn't stick out to me too much and TBH it was kind of a default ranking after I had ranked from bottom to top and top to bottom. That's probably why it ended up higher for me than Ronan or Our Song. If I hadn't already calculated everything then I'd drop it maybe 3-4 spots. But again, it's one of those songs in this Top 31 that you either love or you are not a huge fan of! 

Amanda

7. "Last Kiss"

Yet another in the collection of "heartbreaking Taylor Swift breakup songs", this is a really sad song that reminisces on a past relationship. Like all of Taylor's best written songs, the storytelling aspect really takes front and center. A sad but beautiful song, and one of the highlights on Speak Now. I hope this gets the love it deserves, but I'm not holding my breath because it wasn't a single.

Favorite Lyrics:

I hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day

And something reminds you, you wish you had stayed

You can plan for a change in weather and time

But I never planned on you changing your mind

Chris

Last Kiss One of her most underrated song, in my opinion, I am so happy that it was able to make it through the Top 31. I've always loved this song but it took on a new meaning when I was about 19 or so; let me tell you that I felt every words that she sang especially "But now I'll go Sit on the floor wearing your clothes All that I know is I don't know How to be something you miss I never thought we'd have a last kiss Never imagined we'd end like this Your name, forever the name on my lips".  Anyway, this song is perfection from the lyrics to the emotional delivery and the melody; I am hoping that it's able to get a good ranking despite not being a single.

Rei

15. Last Kiss - I think all Speak Now songs show a much more mature Taylor than her previous albums, which I appreciate. I really liked this song a lot.

Wallace

Last Kiss

This is such a long song. :haha: But this is very pretty and soothing to listen to. It’s also quite heartbreaking too. I would have like a little more dynamics throughout but it is still pretty.

#21: 22

tenor.gif?itemid=3914142

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFeZr5ptV8

Average: 17.47

Rankers: 

Elliott: 9

Diana: 9

Steven: 9

Wallace: 9

Lily: 12

QK: 13

Victoria: 13

Andy: 14

Priscilla: 14

Gigi: 18

Derek: 26

Rei: 27

Amanda: 29

Megan: 29

Chris: 31

I'm not gonna say all you rankers made an awful choice. I am gonna say that I briefly considered dropping my ranking slightly lower after the results came in to get "22" ranked at 22. I have INTEGRITY though so I did not. Let this be the biggest sign that I did not alter any of my rankings after putting in all yours. Anyway, a fun song but definitely not what I consider a Top 31 song from Taylor. I'd definitely would have had other Red songs on here before this ("Red," "Treacherous," "Holy Ground" to name three off the TOP OF MY HEAD). This did feature a lot in many car drives with my friends though when we turned 22. 

Wallace

On 7/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_nu20neQX6e1tgdy3ho2_500.gif

I do love how often I fought for “22” either via my group or on my own when I wasn’t even expecting to save and protect it so much. But I am so glad I did and it’s in the finals here! I do love “22” and think this is such a fun song from Taylor. I do tend to love her lighthearted fun pop songs like this. And I do love how this song is about celebrating life and just having a good time. I do like the humor she provides in the verses of the song. But that chorus is so fun catchy and infectious!

Uh oh!

I don't know about you

But I'm feeling 22

Everything will be alright

If you keep me next to you

You don't know about me

But I'll bet you want to

Everything will be alright

If we just keep dancing like we're

22, ooh-ooh

22, ooh-ooh

:bobo:

This song makes me feel forever 22…. which I am sure is the case for all of us. :giggle: 

From the pre-chorus, I do love the part where she sings: We're happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way. Then I also love the bridge of the song especially the parts where she sings:

It feels like one of those nights,

You look like bad news,

I gotta have you,

I gotta have you.

Such a fun song and always makes me feel happy whenever i hear this! :haha:😄 

Andy

14. 22 - a bop and a half

Rei

27. 22 - An uncomplicated fun song.

Amanda

29. "22"

Look, it's a fun song especially when you turn 22, the music video is cute, and the performance of it on the Red tour is a lot of fun, but it's just not up to the same standard as a lot of her other songs in this final ranking for me, so it lands here for me.

Favorite Lyrics:

It seems like one of those nights

We ditch the whole scene

And end up dreamin' instead of sleeping

Chris

22 A super fun song - which I enjoyed blasting at midnight when I turned 22, but I do not think that it belongs in the Top 31; I feel it's here because it was a single despite it being one of my least favourite from "Red". 

Just now, *Lily said:

This update officially exposing me as a basic "Our Song" stan and nothing else :wub:

After listening to so much Folkovermore, going back to her early music and hearing her Gabby Barrett fake twang gave me whiplash :dead:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Our Song is one of like three Taylor Swift songs that I actively dislike lol. Sorry Lily! No one could have guessed that you were more basic than me hahahaha

Luckily for me, 2 out of the 3 songs I dislike made the finals and one is still in the game :wub: Maybe that's our winner!!!

4 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Our Song is one of like three Taylor Swift songs that I actively dislike lol. Sorry Lily! No one could have guessed that you were more basic than me hahahaha

I understand! :dead: I can see why it would be polarizing, for some reason it's always stuck with me in a good, nostalgic way. :haha:

I can't physically listen to Ronan as a mom it gives me anxiety and is incredibly heartbreaking that is the reason for my low ranking, it's a beautiful song but I can't listen to it. It's pretty triggering. Love you Victoria, this wasn't personal.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, *Diana said:

I can't physically listen to Ronan as a mom it gives me anxiety and is incredibly heartbreaking that is the reason for my low ranking, it's a beautiful song but I can't listen to it. It's pretty triggering. Love you Victoria, this wasn't personal.

I can't even look at the lyrics lol. I'm just assuming it's a good song but every time it comes up I'm like SKIP SKIP SKIPPPP SKIPIPIPISPISKIPS KSIP SKIP SKIP THE TRACK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Diana said:

Don’t worry about it. :hug:I’m just glad it made the finals and the songs makes me cry even if I don’t have kids yet. :dead:

5 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Olivia Rodrigo: "omg I love Taylor Swift's 'New Year's Day' so much that I interpolated it on a song for myself and put it on my album ❤️❤️❤️"

Victoria: "Olivia, thank you for your consideration but I have bad news..." 

:dead: 

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

Why you got to call me out like that? 🤣

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

Enough time for any looking to participate in the Aaliyah round to get to refresh their memory on her discography :wub:

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

AALIYAH’S MUSIC IS COMING TO STREAMING. I EXPECT EVERYONE TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES (!)(!)

2 hours ago, taylorkat said:

Fortunately, I already know Aaliyah's discography because I'm a fan.

90S Music GIF
It’s about damn time. You all better stream her music. ❤️❤️

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised that exile and betty haven’t shown up yet. ❤️ 

Last Kiss deserves better, but I’m not surprised with its low ranking. Since, you know, it suffers from falling into the “not a single” category of songs in this final ranking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

Last Kiss deserves better, but I’m not surprised with its low ranking. Since, you know, it suffers from falling into the “not a single” category of songs in this final ranking.

I tried and can't be faulted for this one at least. :giggle: