Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Taylor Swift: Part 3

200.gif

Thinking about Bon Iver, I'm reminded of one of my favorite early 2010s Tumblrs: https://boniverotica.tumblr.com/

The lack of love for folklore and evermore and "exile" in particular makes me think that some of you should take a long visit in it. As I did. In the early 2010s. This is not an indication that "exile" is showing up in this set. I just wanted a picture of Taylor drinking for this set. And it reminded me.

#19 (TIE): White Horse

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95208ef236ba24c06e752

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Xr-JFLxik

Average: 17.33

Rankers:

Diana: 4

QK: 8

Victoria: 8

Gigi: 10

Amanda: 11

Priscilla: 15

Chris: 17

Wallace: 17

Megan: 19

Derek: 20

Steven: 24

Lily: 25

Andy: 26

Elliott: 26

Rei: 30

Yes, it's a Tie for #19 and as MAGNANIMOUS host, I get to choose which song gets the higher slot in the rankings and therefore looks slightly higher. So sorry "White Horse." I like this song, and feel that it's one of Taylor's better pre-Red Ballads when most of her great hits are her more "pop" songs rather than her ballads. I think this is also one of those songs that benefits from the re-recording and I wish that version got on here. But I just feel that in general about most of the Taylor's Version re-recordings compared to the originals. But I will certainly get more time to talk about that later. 

Amanda

On 7/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, *Amanda said:

11. "White Horse"

Can you believe that this wasn't even gonna be on the Fearless album until Shonda Rhimes, the Grey's Anatomy show runner, was like "We want to use it on our show" after Taylor played it for her and other producers during a meeting with them. I'm so glad she decided to include it, as it's one of the best on the album. Naturally, it went on to win two Grammys. And to think that this masterpiece almost wasn't included on Fearless. One of many heartbreaking songs about relationships gone wrong from Taylor, this one still stands the test of time as one of her best.

Favorite Lyrics:

Cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairytale
I'm gonna find someone someday
Who might actually treat me well
This is a big world, that was a small town
There in my rear-view mirror disappearing now
And it's too late for you and your white horse
Now it's too late for you and your white horse
To catch me now

Chris

On 7/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, *Chris said:

White Horse : If 15 year old Chris was ranking these songs, this song would certainly have been at the top of his ranking as I was absolutely obsessed with this song upon the release of "Fearless" in 2008.  I always enjoyed the lyrics and the emotions of the song; I've always been a fan of her ballad over her more upbeat songs. 

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

White Horse

tumblr_mli8jwdUez1rrye79o1_500.gif

I think I initially entered “White Horse” into the Round 2 portion of the game but I wasn’t really planning to fight for it. But I love how Diana fought so hard for this towards the end….. thanks Diana! :teeheewave: 

Anyway I do really like this and think this is a very pretty song. The song is quite heartbreaking and we all know Taylor can sell songs like these so well. :broken: Taylor sounds so pretty and I really like how she sings the chorus. 

That I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale

I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet

Lead her up the stairwell

This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town

I was a dreamer before you went and let me down

Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around

But then I do also love how Taylor changes up and twists that final chorus and puts a positive spin on the heartbreak she’s going through - and not going to let this break-up get the best of her. It’s very empowering.

Andy

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, #jeah said:

26. White Horse - definitely one of her classics from Fearless, a bit snoozy for me to be a top fave

Rei

On 7/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, .Rei said:

30. White Horse - Is this the follow-up to Love Story? I just listen those two back to back and it sounds like it. Anyways, I must admit this is not an exciting song for me. Easily my least favorite of the Taylor songs I’ve listened thus far.

#19 (TIE): betty

4ab96b3ec1041d5d3ce804bef23360c656e5b3b0

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TAPqXkZW_I

Average: 17.33

Rankers:

Megan: 2

Derek: 4

Elliott: 5

Amanda: 6

Chris: 10

Rei: 16

Andy: 17

Lily: 22

QK: 22

Victoria: 22

Gigi: 25

Steven: 26

Wallace: 27

Diana: 28

Priscilla: 28

Anybody who ranked this below 10 is displaying HOMOPHOBIA AT ITS FINEST. JK. But if this were still pride month I would have, in accordance to the GAY AGENDA, eliminated all your votes from this mini-rankdown. Does Taylor say that this is from the perspective of a boy? Yes. But Taylor also has a long history of using pronoun-less songs (even as early as Fearless) which has engendered a large fanbase of queer female fans. Leading to full articles on leading lesbian websites (https://www.autostraddle.com/tag/taylor-swift/) and even a few articles from more mainstream wesbites (https://www.vox.com/21337354/folklore-taylor-swift-kaylor-betty-gay-lesbian-subtext and https://www.vulture.com/2019/08/taylor-swifts-lover-songs-ranked-by-queer-energy.html). In other occasions I've talked about Swiftgron and the leading gif of this is an INFAMOUS Kaylor gif and of course Taylor's tendency to hang out with lesbian icons Cara Delevingne and St. Vincent (AND BOY YOU BET THERE WILL BE MORE ON THIS WHEN WE GET TO CRUEL SUMMER) and even Lesbian Jesus herself Hayley Kiyoko. I tend to maintain that this isn't even the gayest song from folklore/evermore but it's certainly the easiest to convince folks that it is. Especially when you come with the argument that Taylor herself was named after legendary singer-songwriter James Taylor which makes it a little more than obvious to read the "James" of the folklore trilogy as Taylor Swift herself. Joe Alwyn may have been credited as a co-songwriter but plenty of iconic lesbian songs by lesbian artists were famously written by men. Anyway, this is a lot of background and I don't expect many of you to read this far into it.

"betty" isn't my favorite folklore song but it's the song that I auto-moved on because it's the easiest to read into the GAYLOR subtext that feels like it permeates throughout both folklore/evermore. It's the epitome of the song that you can point to and be like "see, this is why Taylor has so many queer fans, especially queer female fans." It's narrative structure feels so much like this is a song about a girl having a crush on another girl as much as it's supposed to be about anything else. It's the song where my own Twitter timeline when folklore came out was just "BETTY" over and over because it felt so much like Taylor's acknowledgement and a bit more than a wink to her queer female fanbase than her more overt tries from songs with throwaway lines like "Welcome to New York" or the more overt trying videos like "You Need to Calm Down" and "ME!" 

Anyway, only gays and Amanda allowed in my COMPETING Taylor Swift Rankdown when Amanda hosts her. (JK AMANDA).

Amanda

6. "betty"

One of my favorite songs off Folklore. One of the many standouts on the album. The acoustic guitar and harmonica are completely different than what she had been doing since changing over to Pop back in 2014. And the song is really amazing, one of several she's written with her boyfriend Joe for her past two albums and who knew that her boyfriend was such a good songwriter as well? Part 3 of the three-part song series about the teenage love triangle (the other 2 being the extremely robbed "cardigan" and "august"), this is just a really good song. A definite standout on the Folklore album.

Favorite Lyrics:

I was walking home on broken cobblestones
Just thinking of you when she pulled up like
A figment of my worst intentions

Chris

Betty I might have ranked some of the songs below this one a bit higher than this one, but I was a bit strategic with this ranking as I didn't want it to get shafted as it's truly a gem and one of my favourite from folklore. 

Rei

16. betty - Betty is probably my least favorite song from Folklore and I would have preferred any other song from Folklore to be in here. Having said that it is still a great song and better than all the other songs I’m ranking below.

Andy

17. Betty - It’s pretty good! Sorry Megan for not ranking it #1

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, *Wallace said:

betty

This is a pretty song and my favorite of the folklore songs in the finals here. Niee storytelling of the song from Taylor here. It’s very easy listening. I do like how the song builds up towards the end of it. 

#18: Forever & Always (Piano Version) (Taylor's Version)

maxresdefault.jpg

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGowZ26sE0

Average: 16.87

Rankers:

Chris: 7

Diana: 7

Rei: 10

QK: 11

Victoria: 11

Wally: 16

Elliott: 18

Lily: 18

Megan: 18

Andy: 19

Derek: 19

Priscilla: 21

Amanda: 25

Gigi: 26

Steve: 27

I wrote my novel on "betty" so I am all written out this set. I will say that I think this is a beautiful song though. Glad it made it through, especially this particular version. Also, sorry for the ugly picture but like. When I searched for an image all that came up was pictures of piano sheet music. :haha: Also shocked that even though Priscilla made retaliatory cuts when the OG Fearless version of this song was cut that she didn't rank it higher. 

Chris

Forever & Always (Piano) (Taylor's Version)  I am so happy that I was happy to bring a Taylor's version song into the Top 31, and even more happy that it is the piano version of Forever & Always which is my favourite song from Fearless - the original arrangement slap but the piano version slap even more especially when she sings "back up, baby, back up" - she served us some flawless vocals.

Rei

10. Forever & Always (Piano Version) (Taylor's Version) - Beautiful song. I really enjoyed the non-piano version a lot as well.

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

Forever & Always (Piano Version) (Taylor's Version)

original.gif

HeartfeltElaborateArcticseal-size_restri

I do kinda wish the original version of “Forever & Always (Piano Version)” had made the finals as I really love and am more familiar with that version of his song. But it’s not like this version is that different. This is still such a gorgeous and lovely ballad from Taylor. A great and beautiful song for sure!

Amanda

25. "Forever & Always (Piano Version)"

I didn't realize that this one had so many fans until we did this rankdown. Don't get me wrong, I like this a lot and prefer it greatly to the other version of it but this is kind of a default placement for me, as it's not one of my top favorites but it's not one that I have any negative feelings about, so it ultimately winds up here.

Favorite Lyrics:

Was I out of line?
Did I say something way too honest, made you run and hide
Like a scared little boy
I looked into your eyes
Thought I knew you for a minute, now I'm not so sure

16 (TIE):  I Almost Do

Taylor_red-1445452505.gif?quality=.8&hei

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGpXk8vYno

Average: 16.60

Rankers:

Priscilla: 2

Victoria: 4

QK: 5

Diana: 8

Chris: 16

Steven: 16

Megan: 17

Lily: 19

Rei: 20

Derek: 22

Amanda: 23

Andy: 23

Gigi: 24

Elliott: 25

Wallace: 25

Along with Amanda, I feel that I was the most vocal Red STAN in this game and wanted many songs from it to make it through. Well, I like this song but there are other "Red" songs I wish made it through instead. See my comments on "Come Back...Be Here" for those. 

Chris

I Almost Do Underrated song from "Red" and I am super happy that it got the recognition it deserves after all of these years as I feel it's get overshadowed by "All Too Well" and rightfully so. 

Rei

20. I Almost Do - I liked this well enough. I think it gives Red a nice balance since that looks to be Taylor’s more disjointed album.

Amanda

23. "I Almost Do"

I have similar feelings to this as I do with Come Back...Be Here. A good song, very beautiful, very sad, a great inclusion on the Red album but I would've put others in its place in the final ranking and there are other non-singles from the album that I prefer more than this. But still, a great song and rather unexpected inclusion in the final ranking so good job to its stans for getting it here when non-singles were always huge targets.

Favorite Lyrics:

I bet
It never ever occurred to you
That I can't say "Hello" to you
And risk another goodbye

Wally

I Almost Do

This is a very pretty song and Taylor sounds very pretty on this. I do really enjoy the chorus and bridge here especially. 

#16 (TIE): Wildest Dreams

giphy.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdneKLhsWOQ

Average: 16.60

Rankers:

Gigi: 2

Derek: 7

Andy: 9

Lily: 9

Steven: 12

Elliott: 16

Diana: 18

Priscilla: 19

Megan: 20

QK: 20

Victoria: 20

Amanda: 21

Wallace: 22

Chris: 23

Rei: 31

I say this as somebody who tends to be far more attracted to brunettes than blondes in both men and women (Taylor Swift being an exception that proves the rule obviously), I do not like this Taylor look. 

Andy

9. Wildest Dreams - 1989 is THAT album, all of its singles are flawless (except Bad Blood)

Amanda

21. "Wildest Dreams"

This ranking was HARD, but ultimately this ends up here. It's a very beautiful song. I love the beginning with the heartbeat (which, for those of you who don't already know, is Taylor's real heartbeat) and I love the music video for this as well. Another music video with stunning scenery. The song itseif is just really fantastic and it's one of many standouts on 1989.

Favorite Lyrics:

Say you'll remember me standing in a nice dress
Staring at the sunset, babe
Red lips and rosy cheeks
Say you'll see me again
Even if it's just pretend

Wally

Wildest Dreams

WPjx.gif

I loved the 1989 era but “Wildest Dreams” was always my least favorite single of that era and a song that took forever to grow on me for me to like. I do like it though - it has this breezy ethereal feel to it. She sounds very pretty on the chorus where she sings “wildest dreams.” I also like the faster way she sings the bridge too.

Chris

Wildest Dreams I absolutely loved 1989 as an album, and this song was certainly an highlight from it despite not being a top favourite of mine. 

Rei

31. Wildest Dreams - Nope. Didn’t like at all.

The Top 15 for Taylor Swift!

ALBUMS

Fearless

Love Story

You Belong with Me

Speak Now

Back to December

Enchanted

Red

I Knew You Were Trouble

All Too Well

Blank Space

Out of the Woods

Style

Shake It Off

Getaway Car

Lover

Cruel Summer

Lover

folklore

exile ft. Bon Iver

SINGLES, etc.

Safe & Sound ft. The Civil Wars (from The Hunger Games)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Which is why I keep telling Dee we need to create a mini-mini rankdown and do a Lauryn Hill round. Unless we actually emulate Lauryn Hill, it'll wrap up in like three days. :giggle:

We could easily get these rankings done that quickly if we wanted to but most of that will fall on the host posting things in a timely manner.

10 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

All that Fearless talk and it turns out Rei hates Wildest Dreams smh

don't take me too seriously as I only devoted myself to listen the songs in the top 31.. Fearless could be a masterpiece and would not know about it..

My main dislike was towards White Horse (which I see is an unpopular opinion) and one of the other Fearless songs remaining. 

Edited by .Rei

Just want to make known in advance that due to my shenanigans regarding my absence and @.Rei being such a good sport, he will be getting a second artist choice right after the OneRepublic round. I really delayed his Shakira round and he is owed a fair shot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Just want to make known in advance that due to my shenanigans regarding my absence and @.Rei being such a good sport, he will be getting a second artist choice right after the OneRepublic round. I really delayed his Shakira round and he is owed a fair shot. 

GlitteringOccasionalDogwoodclubgall-size

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deeee said:

we're doing Shakira again where I get to select who participates 

5OAK.gif

• Haha 4

I was looking for a male artist but couldn't think about anyone with a big and good discography but if anyone has any suggestion, feel free to tell me.

as for female artist, Lady Gaga? Madonna?

Ideally I would do Lorde but two albums is sadly not that much 😢

Yayy a new set!

- Oh wow a tie between “White Horse” and an folklore song? But ooo “White Horse” coming in the spot…. I would have liked it a little higher but I am fine with  this ranking. Thanks to Amanda for sharing that backstory on WH as i never knew that before. 😮 That’s so shocking how that song was almost not on Fearless. 😮

- Ooh I was hoping for “ betty” to be the highest ranked folklore song. I’m not like disappointed or devastated by the result but wish it showed up over “exile.” SHOCKED at Rei ranking this at #16. and not in his Top 5 though. 😮 Also surprised seeing that this wasn’t Megan’s #1 and not her favorite song of folklore. But you provided a lot of grew commentary there Megan. :yes:

- “Forever & Always (Piano Version)” is another song’s ranking i am fine with but do wish it had ranked higher than 18th. But yes it’s a beautiful song and  I am glad its in the finals. Surprised not to see any rankings higher than #7 here. Surprised to see that Amanda isn’t as crazy about this song as others are. 😮

- Hmm I think this is a good spot for “I Almost Do” coming in at #16. I was expecting this to rank well around the middle’ish portion. But yeah good ranking for this.

- Well as I said “Wildest Dreams” is my least fave of the 1989 singles so i am glad/pleased with it showing up here. :giggle: But i do still really like it bit fen with this missing the Top 15. Lol Rei’s comment…. :dead: I wasn’t expecting this to be his #31 but I am fine with it. :haha:

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

All that Fearless talk and it turns out Rei hates Wildest Dreams smh

lmaooo Yeah that reallly shocked me. But I'll take it. :dead::haha: 

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Well, this set really helped knock out some of the non-singles so my point that the singles were at a massive advantage with this group of rankers still stands. :haha: 

That's true but non-singles are still doing well considering/comparing past artist's rounds. :haha: