Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

24 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Sorry @*Chris about the noms. I did not dig much into The Kings of Summer, but the plot of Laurence Anyways + casting of a straight white man to play a trans woman just does not sit well with me, which is why I was happy with Dallas Buyers Club being eliminated for the same reason. :(🤎

It is fine - I understand the reasoning and I figured much. However, As a French Canadian, the visibility of trans actors and actresses is not there yet in French entertainment - I don’t know about France but in French Canada, there’s only two trans actresses that are known/ that I know of, and only since 2016 or so (one of them being On a TV show recently). It is incredibly sad that there’s no the opportunities for them to be as visible as the like of Laverne Cox, cast of Pose, cast of Transparent - luckily we are starting to discuss more about trans visibility in the entertainment industry since the selection of a trans woman as a contestant on a popular dating show in Quebec.

And I certainly understand the issue but the film for me will always play an important role in French cinema especially in French Canada - Xavier Dolan has done more for the Queer company in The French-Canadian/Canadian/French entertainment. Outside of a movie called “CRAZY”, I’m not aware of any French-Canadian movies that discussed the topic of queerness or transgender or homosexual has much as Xavier Dolan ever did - in fact this was the first movie in my native tongue that I remembered seeing that showcased a similar topic in French.

Sorry for the long response - not to dismiss your point because I agree about the need of more trans actresses/actors, Esp. When you’re in an even more minority setting. But as well, Xavier Dolan has a queer individual did more for the community than some of the people involved with Danish Girl or Dallas Buyers Club. 

Edited by *Chris

Christopher Robin

Christopher_Robin_poster.png

So I basically can't escape Disney-related sh!t for the night and I'm stuck writing about Winnie the Pooh. Horrific. Anyway the movie is inspired and makes use of those characters to tell a story where an adult Christopher Robin loses his sense of imagination until he gets reunited with Winnie. I want a low budget B-horror film that twists this plot into Christopher being plagued by hallucinations and starts to go insane, sounds more interesting than the plot of this movie. The movie was directed by Marc Forster and starred by Ewan McGregor, with the stuffed animals being done through CGI. I am free (or close to it that I can blab my way to 100 words), so ggwp.

Save. The Wolf of Wall Street

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, *Chris said:

It is fine - I understand the reasoning and I figured much. However, As a French Canadian, the visibility of trans actors and actresses is not there yet in French entertainment - I don’t know about France but in French Canada, there’s only two trans actresses that are known/ that I know of, and only since 2016 or so (one of them being On a TV show recently). It is incredibly sad that there’s no the opportunities for them to be as visible as the like of Laverne Cox, cast of Pose, cast of Transparent - luckily we are starting to discuss more about trans visibility in the entertainment industry since the selection of a trans woman as a contestant on a popular dating show in Quebec.

And I certainly understand the issue but the film for me will always play an important role in French cinema especially in French Canada - Xavier Dolan has done more for the Queer company in The French-Canadian/Canadian/French entertainment. Outside of a movie called “CRAZY”, I’m not aware of any French-Canadian movies that discussed the topic of queerness or transgender or homosexual has much as Xavier Dolan ever did - in fact this was the first movie in my native tongue that I remembered seeing that showcased a similar topic in French.

Sorry for the long response - not to dismiss your point because I agree about the need of more trans actresses/actors, Esp. When you’re in an even more minority setting. But as well, Xavier Dolan has a queer individual did more for the community than some of the people involved with Danish Girl or Dallas Buyers Club. 

Thanks for all this info Chris. I am glad to hear that visibility is starting to become more of an important topic in French Canadian territories. I really do not know anything about the culture of trans acceptance and trans representation in French Canadian media, though I suspected it was probably significantly less due to the high percentage of Catholic-identifying people in French culture. The world has so much further to go in the way of representing trans women properly throughout media and just protecting them period.

I'll definitely look more into Xavier Dolan and hopefully can access some of his work. This game has actually made me realize that I need to consume a bit more LGBTQIA+ film in general, though not like there is very much to consumer sadly. 

You were not dismissive at all, considering you understand my viewpoint. I understand why this movie could mean something to you as well. 🤎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Thanks for all this info Chris. I am glad to hear that visibility is starting to become more of an important topic in French Canadian territories. I really do not know anything about the culture of trans acceptance and trans representation in French Canadian media, though I suspected it was probably significantly less due to the high percentage of Catholic-identifying people in French culture. The world has so much further to go in the way of representing trans women properly throughout media and just protecting them period.

I'll definitely look more into Xavier Dolan and hopefully can access some of his work. This game has actually made me realize that I need to consume a bit more LGBTQIA+ film in general, though not like there is very much to consumer sadly. 

You were not dismissive at all, considering you understand my viewpoint. I understand why this movie could mean something to you as well. 🤎

My pleasure - the acceptance is generally positive from what I’ve been able to gather from here and there, but I would assume that it does play a factor on top of limited opportunities when it comes to acting, in general - it’s always the same actors and actresses getting the same role on television shows and movie; French Canadian entertainment industries relies heavily on TV shows and music.

I believe with more visibility from public figures who happens to be more trans, the reaction will be better and it will help improvement their situation - the contestant that was on the the dating show was voted in by the public, and found so much success since then, she recently released a book about her experience notably in a rural region, and she’s a correspondent for a television show. Overall, her presence on the show was met with so many positive reactions and I believe that her visibility will help a lot of individuals being accepted.

and I agree regarding LGBTQIA+ movies; the majority of his film have a queer theme to them, and my favourite of his remains his debut movie, I Killed My Mother, which is semi autobiographical.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of it :hug: