Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

I never told anyone we made a deal for CMBYN. I just said I requested it for it to be removed and was denied. That was all. These noms could have been worse when I kept saying no to other films being suggested and @*Chris can confirm that.

So you saying I'm spinning the story is entirely wrong and I ask that you stop saying that. I texted you but you are not responding. But when you texted me I at least responded.

• Like 1

THE GREEN ROOM (2015)

51ccf459bfa45c9aa7bf255c7e39c75d9e8d70b4

Look at me, saving a horror movie ❤️ The Green Room is a 2015 horror-thriller film starring Anton Yelchin, Joe Cole, Imogen Poots and Patrick Stewart. The movie is about members of a punk band who become the target of neo-nazi skinheads. Apparently they witness the skinheads murdering someone at a club in the PNW. Sounds super scary tbh haha. It was made on a meager $5 million budget and grossed just less than $4 million, which made it NOT a box office success. Yelchin, who passed away super tragically in 2016, seems to have earned a lot of acclaim for his role in the movie, which is great. It did very well on RT with a 91% score. I'm sure a person or two here likes this movie but it doesn't seem to be a top favorite horror movie so I think this is a good spot for it to peace out given the list of nominations here. Sorry to see it go!

Save: Us

tenor.gif?itemid=16057710

Queen & Slim

Queen & Slim is a movie where a poor script was elevated by the acting of its leads. The movie is directed by Melina Matsoukas who previously largely directed music videos (and the directing feels almost like a long music video with incredibly beautiful imagery but not a lot of substance otherwise) while the screenplay is by Lena Waithe (MORE ON HER LATER). It's the story of Queen (Jodie Turner-Smith) and Slim (Daniel Kaluuya) who after an awkward Tinder date are forced to go on the run after an encounter with the police escalates to the point where Queen is shot and Slim tackles the police officer, eventually shooting and killing him. Their on the run story inspires a resistance and a couple to root for in the face of police brutality against black people. And you do root for Queen and Slim because Kaluuya and Turner-Smith play them well and have such great chemistry with each other. The idea behind this is solid, create a modern day black Bonnie and Clyde with the background of police brutality. But unfortunately, Lena Waithe's script leaves a lot to be desired leaving only shallow caricatures behind. 

Lena Waithe continues the tradition of telling important black stories through trauma. But doesn't even give space and depth for the characters to express their anger and their joy properly. In the wake of stories like Moonlight and If Beale Street Could Talk. Queen & Slim seems too interested in being an "important political piece of work" rather than making an engaging story with fully fleshed out characters. 

In the end, the most interesting part of Queen & Slim is how Lena Waithe (and her script) became an twitter meme thanks to the casting call for Queen which reads, and I DIRECTLY quote, "She's brown-skinned, if she were a slave she would have worked in the fields, she has a tough exterior for a reason." Additionally around the same time as this the incredible rumor (and incredibly account that tweeted this rumor over and over) that Lena Waithe cheated on her wife with Cynthia Erivo emerged. And thus, Queen & Slim more became a time to clown on Lena Waithe because the film was just not all that great!

Saving: Pariah

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

"She's brown-skinned, if she were a slave she would have worked in the fields, she has a tough exterior for a reason."

what

and i cannot stress this second part enough

the f*ck?

Aquaman

I have been slowly nominating some of the superhero films here and there, so cutting this is fairly easy bc i didn’t really care for the movie at all. Not terrible (that’s reserved for the Superman movies from what I have gathered over the last decade) but not something I would watch again. It was directed by James Wan, with Jason Momoa (of GoT fame) playing Aquaman (the movie has a pretty big cast) and bc i never cared to check it out, just found out this did really well in box office. It also got a pretty decent critical reception, but then again if you are not Black Panther, does that even matter? Anyway, an ok movie, but i’m completely ok making this cut rn

Save: Young Adult

Edited by NGM