Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

TOMB RAIDER

Tomb_Raider_(2018_film).png

yay for having insomnia? Anyway, this Tomb Raider film is a 2018 reboot of the film series that is based off the iconic video game Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Unfortunately, there’s no Angelina Jolie playing the titular character (Lara Croft), so that’s a bummer. I never saw it because I was pretty busy with work and/or school when it came out, but I dug the version of Destiny’s Child’s Survivor they used. That same band did a version of Britney Spears' Toxic that Witney and Milo used for their iconic Halloween contemporary routine on DWTS. #robbed Anyway, it met Rei’s restrictions and I was around, so out it goes here.

SAVE: 4th Man Out

Edited by Elliott

screen-shot-2014-03-26-at-00-10-21.png

I absolutely love Kate Winslet but this movie is absolutely boring - she has plenty of good roles, but since winning the Oscar, she probably only been appearing in mediocre or boring movies including "The Reader" and "Revolutionary Road" #ISaidWhatISaid. Anyway, this movie was released in 2013 and it was based on a novel from the same name - the plot of the movie surrounds Adele who is a single mother dealing with depression & Frank Chambers, a convict wanted by police. They are first introduced to each other when Frank makes Adele and her son take him home to look after him, and we later find out that he is a convict. We find out information about Frank throughout the movie, and they open up to each other notably regarding the miscarriages she suffered. And in a typical romantic movie, they fall in love where Henry gets manipulated by someone saying that he'll get abandoned by his mom and Frank - he accidentally reveal Frank's identity to a mysterious individual. Near the end of the movie, people are getting suspicious of Adele & Frank's plan of moving to Canada - the police reappears and Frank - the white straight man - tries to become the hero by protecting Adele & Henry so they don't get arrested. Will they have an happy ever after? Watch it to find out, but you may fall asleep before you get to the end. 

Overall, Kate Winslet is flawless as always but the movie itself is a bit too much - a lot of drama happening in the movie, and the plot is messy which makes the entire movie a hot mess. The critics praised the performances but hated the movie, which is pretty much how I feel too.

SAVING: THE IRON LADY

WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE

MV5BNDZiY2MyN2ItZjYyMi00YWNiLTk3NTQtNzk3

I remember seeing the trailer for this film, but it’s not one I was particularly interested in seeing. Cate Blanchett plays the titular character, a former architect who develops agoraphobia. She becomes a recluse and has very little social interactions. However, she reluctantly agrees to go on a trip to Antarctica at her daughter’s request. The upcoming trip makes her nervous, and she ends up going missing. She’s not abducted though. She decides to take a leap of faith and go on an adventure to reignite her creative spark. I suppose the plot is kind of interesting, but maybe it’s better as a book? It is based on a novel of the same name. I’m sure Cate Blanchett does well in the role, but I can’t say this is a film I care to watch after reading about it. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the film “offers dispiriting proof that a talented director, bestselling source material, and terrific cast can add up to far less than the sum of their parts.” Yikes, that’s not great. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes Bernadette from this rankdown too.

And I’ll save The Girl on the Train.

5-Ia1srDkn5FwAzvVrHclAOP2lbbU8xHPiQoxVXSrqRDYDUZbibE4lhc3gQ5Di993JodiUUPas_M2jnuq98Z5W_NAnmiYAYl5_qn5G1_HILiV0gcjsjAsrp9OR13F-_tzkiuorP41_9Jjn1Mv8A-Q9J_8KH0Yw81B1Do3JefisXJk0rlMPA7DKdLY9EfBg

Only God Forgives (2013 dir. by Nicolas Winding Refn)

BigheartedBetterDorado-small.gif

This is a film that you either love or hate. I hate it. However, Ryan Gosling is very, very strong in this movie. Though he usually nails his performances.

Only God Forgives is a crime film that competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. The film basically revolves around a revenge plot. Julian (Gosling) is an expatriate living in Thailand and is a respected figure in the criminal underworld of Bangkok, running a drug deal out of a Muay Thai boxing center. He clearly has a troubled past and engages in deviant sexual behaviors. He runs the drug deals with his younger brother Billy, who gets himself into trouble after raping and killing an underage sex worker. Lieutenant Chang finds Billy, allowing for the father of the girl to murder Billy. Julian begins to have visions of Chang encountering him in a dark room, and cutting his hands off like he did to Choi Yan Lee (the father) for allowing his daughter to perform sex work. Julian's mother Crystal, a merciless and terrifying mafia mom, asks Julian to seek out revenge. Julian denies this request since Billy deserved what became of him, so Crystal decides to get revenge by other means. Etc. etc. etc.

The film is a total mess. Funnily enough, the director felt like his film was in the same vein as the iconic masterpiece, Drive. Yeah, not even close buddy. But I still respect the director for at least offering us Drive before making this mess of a movie.

The film received a very polarizing response after its screening at Cannes - half of the crowd giving the film a standing ovation, while the other half booed loudly. Mainstream critics hated the movie, calling it depraved and devoid of substance. My big issue with the movie is not the extreme violence, though the treatment of sex workers in this film makes me cringe. My issue is that there is no focus on a plot? None of the movie makes sense. It's a jumbled mess wrapped up in a visually impressive bow to hide that it is a super flawed piece of film. Though the film did receive some absolutely rave reviews from some.

I say avoid this movie, and just watch Drive. You will thank me later!

SAVING: We're the Millers

Edited by Deeee