Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Life of Pi (2012 dir. by Ang Lee)

tumblr_mi3b3aWXHP1qzx7rao1_500.gif

Sorry for the change of heart, but I remembered that the animals were abused during filming of Life of Pi and could not bring myself to save this movie. One of the film producers was also in a relationship with the American Human Association's monitor on the film, which helped downplay what happened to poor King the Tiger. "Pi's Lullaby" is quite possibly plagiarized as well, so this makes one of the best aspects of the film tainted. Ang Lee also got himself in a ton of hot water after the release of this film. All-around, Life of Pi is a bit problematic, so might as well save the very bland, vanilla Peanuts gang!

Bummer too, considering I really liked Life of Pi. However, I am simply not down for nearly drowning a damn tiger and then trying to cover it up at all costs. Not okay.

The film is an adaptation of the 2001 novel of the same name by author Yann Martel. The screenplay was adapted by David Magee. The story revolves around "Pi" Patel, a Tamil man, telling a novelist his life story and how he survived a shipwreck at age 16, which left him adrift in the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger. For anybody that wants to watch the film without spoilers, I will not dive too much into the actual plot details of this movie.

Pi is portrayed by Suraj Sharma. Irrfan Khan, Ayush Tandon, Rafe Spall, Tabu, Adil Hussain, and Gérard Depardieu also star in the film! One of the big positives is that the film actually casts Indian actors, since we actually have to worry about sh*t like that in Hollywood. The film had the involvement of many huge name directors before finally landing at Lee. With a $120 million budget, the film was a huge endeavor. When you see the breathtaking visual effects, you can tell why so much money was required to make this film. LOL. But the film more than made its money back, generating $609 million at the box office. 

That is because the movie is a marvelous visual feat and just an epic in storytelling. The reviews for the film were very positive, with most critics praising the technical achievements of the film and praising the smart use of 3D in enriching the story being told. The film really is an experience, rather than just another movie you sit down to watch. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards and won four, more than any other film that year! The film received a ton of nominations and a ton of awards. 

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but I am not game for animal cruelty at all. 

SAVING: The Peanuts Movie

giphy.gif

NOMINATIONS!

01. I Saw The Devil

02. Leap Year

03. 50/50

04. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

05. 21 Jump Street

06. Magic Mike

07. G.B.F.

08. The Wolverine

9. 22 Jump Street

10. Krampus

11. Magic Mike XXL

12. Bad Moms

13. Personal Shopper

14. The Fate of the Furious

15. Logan Lucky

16. Ant-Man and the Wasp

17. Sorry To Bother You

18. Zombieland 2: Double Tap

KRAMPUS

Krampus_poster.jpg

Krampus isn’t a movie I’ve seen, but it looks like a Christmas horror film based on the poster. Wikipedia tells me that this film is about a young boy who accidentally summons the demon Krampus around Christmastime. Krampus’s purpose is to punish the non-believers. Krampus is actually from a European folklore. Described as half goat and half demon, Krampus is the contrast of Santa Claus as Krampus punishes misbehaving children. The film includes stars such as Adam Scott and Toni Collette and received a 67% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site also says “Krampus is gory good fun for fans of non-traditional holiday horror with a fondness for Joe Dante's B-movie classics, even if it doesn't have quite the savage bite its concept calls for.” This isn’t a film I care to see, so I’m okay eliminating it from the rankdown. Sorry to any fans, but out goes Krampus from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Leap Year.

tumblr_lz8wgq6uVf1qj8jt2o1_500.gif

Edited by Steven_

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

Victoria making me choose between Logan Lucky, Sorry to Bother You, and Magic Mike 💔

Hoping you save Sorry to Bother You, but definitely do not want to see Magic Mike go either.