Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Jeff Who Lives At Home

220px-Jeff_Who_Lives_at_Home_FilmPoster.

A shame this movie could not even make back its budget. It seems kind of endearing. Am I in any rush to watch not? Not especially. 

It revolves around Jeff (Jason Segal) being a unemployed stoner. He seems to be completely directionless and unmotivated.  After some plot points happen, he ends up running into his brother Pat. His brother is having some marriage problems. They go around stalking his wife for evidence. Ya know, comedic stuff.  Somewhere in there they actually have some emotional conversations and start to figure out their issues. 

Somehow their mother also gets involved. She may or may not be attracted to women by the end. Wiki is not particularly clear on that. 

Saving the Lego Movie

A Dangerous Method

giphy.gif

What is this gif? :dead: A Dangerous Mind is a historical film released in 2011. The film is directed by David Cronenberg. The film stars Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender, and Vincent Cassel. The screenplay of this movie was adapted by writer Christopher Hampton from his 2002 stage play The Talking Cure. The film is set on the eve of WWI and depicts the turbulent relationships between Carl Jung, founder of analytical psychology, Sigmund Freud, founder of the discipline of psychoanalysis and Sabina Spielrein, initially a patient of Jung and later a physician and one of the first female psychoanalysts. The only name I recongized there was Sigmund Freud. :haha: The film was distributed by Lionsgate in the United Kingdom and Entertainment One in Canada. The film received praise and holds a 78% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The film swept at the Directors Guild of Canada Awards and won every award if was nominated for. I don't think I'll ever go out of my way to see this film so out it goes.

Save: I Saw The Devil

Wonder

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer

Colossal

Crawl

Mudbound

Alita: Battle Angel

Novitiate

Disobedience

Midsommar

It Comes At Night

The Square

Late Night

Sauvage

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

Darkest Hour

Atomic Blonde

God's Own Country

Maudie

Colossal 

Colossal_(film).png

Despite Elliott not posting at exactly 7:30pm Eastern time, I suppose I can accept the timing of the nominations. People are once again nominating movies that bombed at the box office. Thank you for making my upcoming round even more difficult. Speaking of box office, this made 4.5 million of a 15 million budget. Ouch.

Wiki describes this movie as a "science fiction black comedy." Well, at least I know what this genre means. #lowstandards. 

This movie had a wide release back in 2017. It stars Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens and others. It seems people appreciated Anne Hathaway in her role. Despite being a complete commercial failure, this movie has fairly good reviews. I might have to check it out. Oh yes, a fairly strange movie saved by a good lead. I most definately have to eventually watch this. 

Saving Midsommar

midsommar GIF by A24

AAAABaIeexToo4w8A9KVgGYBYGBiWu7GSk1CxIuxR3iw0vvVazuD_42PuWSTmci1NUHBeWl2-Ap922OPORpALN_DMsC7IWhnqPlJALR5.png?r=17d

0c19616eaa01d65959ff0ac9fb88a846d39700ad.gifv

Ideally, not the cut I wanted to make but I doubt anyone else would have saved this movie hence why I am cutting it to give it a decent write-up. So let's get to it; Maudie is a biographical movie of Maud Lewis who was a Canadian folk artist, and it was released between 2016 & 2017 depending where you were from.

The movie essentially follows the life of Maud Lewis who has severe arthritis & a memory of a lost child. Her life in rural Nova Scotia was not ideal where her relationships with her family was far from ideal, which lead her to find her way to Everett Lewis' house who was seeking for a cleaning lady - in return, she receives a room & a board.  Suddenly, Maud starts painting on the walls in the house to spend the time & improve the aesthetic of the house - this changed her life when she meets a customer of Everetts' who purchase a card painted by Maud. Following the purchase, Maud's painting are getting more exposure - while all of this is happening, she marries Everett to stop the rumours of the town. Anyway, all of this found success made her Aunt Ida believe that Maud is the only one in her family to ever find happiness and later tell her that her baby girl survived & is being raised by her brother - she finally is reunited with her from afar, but her health is deteriorating & she passed away at the age of 67. 

With that being said, this is a movie that I really enjoyed - this is probably due to the connection of Maud Lewis & her contribution to arts in the eastern part of Canada (Fun fact: Her painting will be featured on Canada Post's 2020 Holidays's postage stamps). As well, Sally Hawkins' portrayal of Maud Lewis is absolutely brilliant as well as her chemistry with Ethan Hawke who portrayed Everett Lewis. Overall, the movie was well made & I always enjoy watching movies made in Canada, like this one. 

SAVING: GOD'S OWN COUNTRY