Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

he Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby is the collective title of three films that were all written and directed by Ned Benson The film stars Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy years before their co-starring appearance in the fantastic It: Chapter Two, and is Benson's first feature film project. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby is broken into three films titled Him, Her, and Them. With respective running times of 96, 105 and 123 minutes, the film is collectively an astonishing 324 minutes. Him/Her were typically screened together as a work-in-progress while Them followed half a year later. According to IMDb, the film's plot is: "Told from the male perspective, the story of a couple trying to reclaim the life and love they once knew and pick up the pieces of a past that may be too far gone."

SAVE: The film Alex posted a clip from

Sorry, my choices were super limited and I decided to follow Alex’s original rule of PG or lower.

How to train your dragon
Secretariat
Hugo
Puss in Boots
Life of Pi
ParaNorman
Monsters University
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Paddington
The Good Dinosaur
The Peanuts Movie
BFG
Kung Fu Panda 3
The LEGO Batman Movie
Christopher Robin
Incredibles 2
Ralph Breaks the Internet
The LEGO Movie 2

tumblr_p9ur5zRWyo1x0bvwko2_500.gifv

The LEGO Movie 2

TBH I’m not a big fan of the LEGO movies. Perhaps it’s because Chris Pratt makes it so hard to like him that reflexively anything that stars him I feel disinterested in. But I do know the first one is pretty good. And it has a good Tegan and Sara song. The LEGO movie didn’t necessarily need a sequel and while this is a fine sequel it’s unnecessary. That’s where most of the criticism calls it on as well. I think it’s largely because the first LEGO movie was surprisingly good so this one both had a lot to live up to and also wouldn’t be able to capture the surprise that the first one did. You go into it with expectations. And those expectations can only leave you a little disappointed as it tries to go bigger and bolder than the first.

Hmmm seems I really only needed to add a gif. I'll just say that I am tired of movies with incompetent special male protagonists being propped up by their highly competent female protagonists who somehow become the incompetent male's girlfriend.

Save: the beloved movie Paddington

Edited by totes4totes

The Good Dinosaur

giphy.gif

I think it's no secret that I do not like this film. It's just so boring to me. The animation and story are so uninspired and it doesn't feel like Pixar at all to me. It loses the Pixar magic imo. It also has the distinction of being the only Pixar film to not hit #1 at the box office. Maybe it was the fact that Inside Out was released the same year and stole its thunder. Inside Out is the superior film. Inside Out captured that Pixar magic and The Good Dinosaur just failed in the regard. The Good Dinosaur was released in 2015 and is an American 3D computer-animated comedy adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is directed by Peter Sohn and is written by Meg LeFauve. The film follows a young dinosaur named Arlo who meets Spot, a human child, while traveling a through a harsh, dangerous and mysterious landscape. They help each other as they are both lost from their respective families. The characters are not memorable imo. Like I mentioned before, 2015 marked the first time Pixar released two feature films in the same year. The film did not do well the box office causing The Good Dinosaur to become Pixar's first financial disappointment. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 76% and it's easily one of my least favorite Pixar films aside from Cars 2.

Save: Incredibles 2

ParaNorman

ParaNorman_poster.jpg

IvED.gif

I've never watched this film before so I don't know if it's good or not but I have watched many of the other films nominated so I'm choosing to cut this one in order for some of them to make it. ParaNorman is a 2012 animated dark fantasy comedy horror film about a young boy who is able to communicate with ghosts, and is given the task of ending a 300-year-old witch's curse on his town. The film was the first one to use a 3D color printer to create character faces, and the second one to be shot in 3D, all this according to Wikipedia. The cast of the film included: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Tucker Albrizzi, Anna Kendrick, Cass*y Affl*ck, Leslie Mann and Jeff Garlin, among others. The films made $107M against a budget of $60M which makes it a success, but I guess more is normally expected for animated films. The movie got great reviews and curttenly holds a Tomatoscore of 88% and a Metascore of 72, so I'm pretty sure this must be pretty good. Apparently there's an scene where a supporting character is revealed to be gay, which makes him the first openly gay character in a mainstream animated movie, so that's pretty cool and I've chosen to stan this film.

Saving How to train your Dragon

L399.gif

On 6/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, totes4totes said:

CalmFineAmurratsnake-small.gif

American Sniper

Dee posted right before I had to watch a dumb membrane develop into something that will almost certainly be straight garbage just to torture me so this cut/save will have to be fixed later when I get home. Update: my membrane was straight garbage so let all my experiments just fail after quarantine!

American Sniper is a war film that is unashamedly jingoist in its depiction of the War on Iraq. But that’s to be expected because the director is none other than Clint Eastwood who is ANCIENT and still somehow making movies. If Clint Eastwood just stopped after Million Dollar Baby I don’t think anybody would have noticed. This movie stars Bradley Cooper, who is, as you all know, one of my least favorite actors. For those of you who believe I started hating Bradley Cooper for no good reason because of this film the answer to that is a resounding no! It just gave me an extra reason to hate this film.

Okay, here's the more that I promised. American Sniper is based on the autobiography of Chris Kyle. A man who was a sniper in the War on Iraq. A man who famously embellished many of the claims in his book including punching Jesse Ventura in the face and his military records and his charity donations and the good deeds. A man who died because he famously believed the best way to help veterans suffering from PTSD was to take them out to the shooting range. Anyway, both Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper claim that all the negative criticism about how the movie portrays the War in Iraq (which is very classic American propaganda of white people/Americans good and Brown people bad and uncivilized and don't know any better) disregard the fact that the movie is far more about Veterans who have a difficult time readjusting to Civilian life. And there's a movie to be made about that and how sad that is but this is definitely not that movie! It's almost shocking that this movie came from the same director who had a much more nuanced and complex take on war in Letters from Iwo Jima. Anyway, Clint Eastwood sucks and stop watching his movies! 

Saving: Dunkirk which is a better war movie!

my updated masterpiece! 

secretariat-51afc69236cb4.png

ThirstyLiquidElver-size_restricted.gif

Released in 2010, Secretariat is a biographical sports drama film produced by Disney. The movie stars the like of Diane Lane & John Malkovich, and the movie essentially tell us the story of Secretariat, a Thoroughbred race horse, who was the winner of the Triple Crown in 1973, with the help of Ron Turcotte - Secretariat is known as the first Triple Crown Winner and one of the greatest horse of all time. In the movie, we are introduced to Penny Chenery who takes over her father's business despite not knowing a thing or two regarding horse-racing. She eventually navigates this male-dominated with the help of Lucien Laurin, a French-Canadian trainer. 

I've seen the movie and it was alright, however what I associate the most with this movie is the jockey known as Ron Turcotte as he is from my hometown - the local movie theater even had a mini movie premiere, and a statue of Ron Turcotte & Secretariat was unveiled, not long after the premiere of the movie. 

Overall, the movie was well liked, where they managed to make their budget. But unfortunately, it is now out of this rankdown. 

SAVING: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2

Edited by *Chris

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

Monsters University is the prequel to Monsters, Inc. that doesn't have the same charm, wit or memorability of its predecessor. It also notably causes a lot of continuity errors with the facts that are established in Monsters, Inc., but hey - Disney's gotta make money, I guess. Anyway, Monsters University focuses on Mike arriving to college and being an outsider with no friends until he becomes friends with Sully. I'm sure other things happen but I don't remember nor do I care. The only Pixar sequels that have been on the level of their predeccesor the Toy Story sequels. Don't @ me. It made $743 million on its $200 million budget, so at least it turned a profit, and has an 80% at Rotten Tomatoes, so there's that.

SAVE: The Lego Batman Movie

30 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I was so disappointed in Monsters U, Monsters Inc is one of my favorite animated movies ever so I had really high expectations. :( 

I'm the same as you. Loved the first one but the second one was very underwhelming