Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

IT COMES AT NIGHT

ITCOTHD-02-KeyArt2_FMhr_june9_webFINALWD

It Comes at Night is a horror film that was released in 2017. The film is set in a world where a deadly outbreak has destroyed the planet. Joel Edgerton plays the father of a family that has secluded themselves in their home to avoid the dangers of the outside. However, a stranger stumbles upon their home and requests shelter. After some hesitation and certainty he isn't contaminated, they invite him and his family to shelter with them too. What should be an alliance between two families eventually results in mistrust and paranoia, and the true danger may be what comes from within. How does the film end? I suppose you can read it up or watch yourself. It Comes at Night received an 87% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site also says the film "makes lethally effective use of its bare-bones trappings while proving once again that what's left unseen can be just as horrifying as anything on the screen." Despite an intriguing premise, I doubt this is a film I would seek out to watch since I'm not a fan of horror films. Sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'm saving Late Night.

tenor.gif?itemid=13660954

NOVITIATE

Novitiate is a 2017 American drama film written and directed by Maggie Betts, in her feature directorial debut, that stars Margaret Qualley, Melissa Leo, Morgan Saylor, Dianna Agron, Julianne Nicholson, Liana Liberato, Denis O'Hare, and Maddie Hasson. The film follows a young woman, played by Margaret Qualley, who starts to question her faith as she trains to become a nun. An English-language film of 123 minutes, the film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2017. Shortly thereafter, Sony Pictures Classics acquired the North American distribution rights to the film. It was ultimately released on October 27, 2017, and made $580,346 during its North American run of 163 theatres. Critically, the film has an 88% at Rotten Tomatoes, and an average rating of 7.3/10, implying generally positive reviews. This write-up was sponsored by Wikipedia, but for more information, check out its IMDb page.

SAVE: Killing of a Sacred Deer

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

@Steven_ is up next to nominate 18 films that have received a nomination at the Academy Awards.

If you don't know what to nominate @Steven_, La la Land received undeservedly a bunch of Oscar nominations and awards 😘

Edited by .Rei
  • Confused 1

NOMINATIONS

Another Year (2010) - Best Original Screenplay Nominee
Rabbit Hole (2010) - Best Actress Nominee for Nicole Kidman
The Descendants (2011) - Best Adapted Screenplay Nominee
A Better Life (2011) -  Best Actor Nominee for Demián Bichir
The Sessions (2012) - Best Supporting Actress Nominee for Helen Hunt
Philomena (2013) -  Nominated for Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay for Coogan and Pope, Best Actress for Judi Dench, and Best Original Score for Desplat
Foxcatcher (2014) - Nominated for five Oscars at the 2015 Academy Awards, including a Best Actor nomination for Steve Carell, Best Supporting Actor for Mark Ruffalo and Best Director for Bennett Miller
Inherent Vice (2014) - Best Actor Nominee for Joaquin Phoenix
Mr. Turner (2014) - Nominated for Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Original Score, and Best Production Design 
Captain Fantastic (2016) - Best Actor Nominee for Viggo Mortensen
20th Century Women (2016) - Best Original Screenplay Nominee
Silence (2016) - Best Cinematography Nominee
Star Trek Beyond (2016) -  Best Makeup and Hairstyling Nominee
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (2017) -  Seven nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actress for Frances McDormand, Best Original Screenplay for Martin McDonagh and Best Supporting Actor nominations for Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson
The Florida Project (2017) - Best Supporting Actor Nominee for Willem Dafoe
At Eternity’s Gate (2018) - Best Actor Nominee for Willem Dafoe
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018) - Nominated for Best Actress (Melissa McCarthy), Best Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), and Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018) -  Nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design and Best Original Song

Edited by Steven_