American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

1 minute ago, Daillon said:

Lmao I feel exactly the opposite, it distracted from the fact that he was a very limited vocalist. 

he didn't have a lot of range but he did have a nice tone to his voice when he wasn't running around like a maniac

30 minutes ago, rockerannah said:

he didn't have a lot of range but he did have a nice tone to his voice when he wasn't running around like a maniac

Exactly this. He’s not a “big” vocalist but he’s a good one when he focuses in on it. His tone is quite nice and he’s made some pleasantly smart choices with notes before. Unfortunately, vocals did take a backseat for him a lot of the time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kenboy123 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion...but, despite being one of the few "artists" on the show left, Leah would never fit in the music industry...

Tbh, she seems like one of the ones who could be a main hit (if those actually happen on idol anymore). Also, Leah’s brand’s isn’t fitting into anything, but standing out like many artists currently like Ava Max. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, xfactor22 said:

I never considered Cameron country. I thought he was more like pop or other genre 

Yeah I wasn't really sure if he counts as country but his instagram bio is "Just a young man riding Harley’s and singing country" :haha:

12 hours ago, Shireen said:

The over the top criticism for Emyrson is silly. She had one dud on Sunday but has been good to great since her audition.

Tell Me You Love Me and Drivers Licence were both pretty rough vocally but aside from that she's been good. I'm kind of surprised that America keeps voting her through but I'm not mad about it at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Imagine being such a toxic Stan that you hate other singing shows.

Lol. I loved America's Got Talent, I watched some random MTV talent shows, and even SYTYCD and America's Best Dance Crew.

I just don't like giving any time or effort to ANOTHER talent show when only one of them has had my attention and the good music talent for over 15 years. 

It's not that I'm against watching it. I just don't need another talent show in my life. lol

UNPOP opinions people. 🙂 

Just now, QueenKalie said:

Here's my unpopular opinion. Idol fans are the worst. Like there are some tragic voice fans but Idol has them beat. 

I agree. CLAYMATES, GLAMBERTS, COUNTRY MUSIC FANS. Kidding on the last one. lol

I'm a Haley Reinhart stan so Haliens can be annoying too. :P 

I've wasted social life over AI back in the day. lmao

12 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Here's my unpopular opinion. Idol fans are the worst. Like there are some tragic voice fans but Idol has them beat. 

As far as IDF goes....

The Voice forum is definitely more active, but I think there are too many people there who take the show wayyyy too seriously, especially when there is a 90% chance contestants will not have any success post season (not saying Idol is better with the post season success in 2022, but we do have Gabby Barrett, Benson, Alejandro, and potentially Kenedi who have/will have more success compared to recent The Voice alum)

As for the Idol part of the forum, theres definitely less of us. However, we are all bitter and jaded from sitting through YEARS of this show which could definitely come across as annnoying. Although, most of us do not take the show as seriously as once before, and most of us probably watch it for pure nostalgia/FOMO purposes lmao.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m1key said:

As far as IDF goes....

The Voice forum is definitely more active, but I think there are too many people there who take the show wayyyy too seriously, especially when there is a 90% chance contestants will not have any success post season (not saying Idol is better with the post season success in 2022, but we do have Gabby Barrett, Benson, Alejandro, and potentially Kenedi who have/will have more success compared to recent The Voice alum)

As for the Idol part of the forum, theres definitely less of us. However, we are all bitter and jaded from sitting through YEARS of this show which could definitely come across as annnoying. Although, most of us do not take the show as seriously as once before, and most of us probably watch it for pure nostalgia/FOMO purposes lmao.

Explain how Alejandro is successful in any metric that is used to measure music industry success. (Being name-checked on Idol doesn’t count)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shireen said:

Noah's stage presence is abysmal he looks as bored singing as I do listening to him.  

VFTW’s name for Carrie was “Farmbot” because of her performance skills but it turned out okay for her. 😆 

Also, I like both Idol and The Voice and as a contrarian, I will argue with Idol fans about The Voice and vice versa lol. I will say that neither show is what they used to be. American Idol found out the hard way that viewers WILL notice the game being rigged and they bled viewers in Season 12. The Voice began as a show that welcomed edgy, more experience artists but now seems to cater more to middle-aged housewives and grandmas who are just there to see how darn funny that Blake Shelton is. 

Edited by Carrie_On
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

Also, I like both Idol and The Voice and as a contrarian, I will argue with Idol fans about The Voice and vice versa lol. I will say that neither show is what they used to be. American Idol found out the hard way that viewers WILL notice the game being rigged and they bled viewers in Season 12. The Voice began as a show that welcomed edgy, more experience artists but now seems to cater more to middle-aged housewives and grandmas who are just there to see how darn funny that Blake Shelton is. 

This tbh!!

Also, most of the time I act like I strongly dislike The Voice, but at the same time, I have been a lurker of The Voice forum since S14 (still am!) and I still watch every season via Youtube videos. I'm not afraid to say that The Voice has the better vocal talent quite often, but as they should, since their show is called "The Voice" lol. 

My main reason for preferring Idol over The Voice though is that everything feels so "tokenized" and repetitive every season on The Voice. The pimped front runners are always some combination of the female African American diva, male African American r&b/soul/gospel singer, the teen boy/girl with a "voice beyond their years", and one or two country singers. Idol obviously does have its token pop divas and WGWG's as well, but I never get the same vibe I do with The Voice. 

On Idol, I feel we get contestants of unique genres that make it far into the season. Last season we had Casey Bishop make F4 being a rock/jazz girl. There's also the quirky indie/folk types like Leah Marlene, Fritz Hager, Catie Turner, and Alejandro Aranda that we never really see get far on The Voice. Idol also embraces more "artistry" by allowing original songs.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 4