The Voice S17 - Spoilers/News/Updates

Someone648

anyways, I suggested Stars for Marybeth but something about her take on it just seems... different? I can’t put my finger on it maybe they sped it up a little or made it more twangy but I prefer it to be sang in a tender vulnerable way that the arrangement completely disregards.

The part that threw me off was the way she belted the chorus, it just didn't feel quite right.

The part that threw me off was the way she belted the chorus, it just didn't feel quite right.

Yep listening back on it thats what gets me. I guess Grace belted the chorus too but the best part about covers of Stars is when the chorus is sang more tenderly. I really wanted to hear the vulnerability from Marybeth especially after her emotional performance last week :(

Last season, the top 8 episode description said it was Beatles week but that was just in reference to the duets so the solos should be normal songs. Also, does anyone wish they would bring back the challenge week during top 10? We could actually get more exciting song choices if they brought it back.

first impressions of studios ranking:

Katie Kadan - not the best song, but she a legend so

Marybeth Byrd - not amanda b, but i prefer it from last week

Rose Short - i'm not thrilled about this song choice

Ricky Duran - this might be a mess

Kat Hammock - idk about the big/high notes translating, could get max'd

Hello Sunday - ew song, but duo slayage

Joana Martinez - this fodder doesn't deserve this iconic song

Myracle Holloway - i'm hurting for her tbh

Jake Hoot - not memorable

Will Breman - over him

Shane Q - have mercy on our ears, damn

Whose "Without You" is Katie doing? Halsey's? I thought that whoever posts the song choices also posts the original artists names. But I'm not really seeing that here.

ETA: Silly me. Halsey's song is "Without ME," not "You."

Edited by Rodney

Shane q - mercy (Shawn Mendes)

Hello Sunday - the middle (Maren Morris)

Jake hoot - every light in the house (Trace Adkins)

Rose short - maybe I’m amazed (Paul McCartney)

Myracle Holloway - everybody hurts (rem)

Joana Martinez - dreaming of you (Selena)

Will breman - light my fire (the doors)

Katie kadan - without you (Mariah Carey)

Marybeth Byrd - stars (grace potter and the nocturnals)

Kat hammock - I’ll fly away (Allison Krauss)

Ricky Duran - downtown train (rod Stewart)

Whose "Without You" is Katie doing? Halsey's? I thought that whoever posts the song choices also posts the original artists names. But I'm not really seeing that here.

ETA: Silly me. Halsey's song is "Without ME," not "You."

Harry Nillson/Mariah Carrey

Also, does anyone wish they would bring back the challenge week during top 10? We could actually get more exciting song choices if they brought it back.

I remember that Alicia was the only one to actually take the "challenge" part seriously and give Britton, Christiana, and Jackie F. songs that did challenge them. Meanwhile, Adam, Blake, and Kelly (surprisingly) just gave their teams pretty safe choices that week.

Finally listened to all the studio previews for tonight, at least a couple of times for each. Here's my take, listed in order of preference:

1. Rose Short - "Maybe I'm Amazed": Adore this song choice, and the vocal is absolutely as the song suggests. The power perfectly controlled and the phrasing immaculate. Listening to just a minute or so of this actually brought a tear to my eye. Since this is Rose, there can be little doubt of the quality she'll bring to this live. This could be the show opener, and the death spot will have zero impact on her progress at this stage of the competition. I had this song in mind for Katie last week, but truth be told, choices for Rose/Katie are interchangeable (see this week's choices for example). I'm beginning to see the path clearing for a Battle Royale between these two powerhouse for the crown (the first time since Chloe and Addison that the best two vocalists of the season finish 1/2?).

b]Katie Kadan[/b] - "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" Aretha Franklin, or "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" James Brown -- PLUS, adding "Oh Darling" The Beatles (although, imho, Juliet Simms shut that one down) per the very good suggestion by joe14, and in the same vein, "Maybe I'm Amazed" Paul McCartney & Wings.

2. Myracle Holloway - "Everybody Hurts" Oh my, another incredible and cool song choice (thank you, fans!). Someone mentioned this as a bus attempt? I can't see that, and I certainly can't HEAR that. The studio is immaculate, and a reminder that Myracle IS the most experienced vocalist is the competition. Throw anything at her, this woman can deliver. If anything, the studio vocal is a tad too prettied up. She needs to dirty it up live, and allow us to live for those shreds and cracks. This song is crying out for that! The Koryn Hawthorne playbook is a canny one and a road map to the finals. Myracle's problem is not this song choice, but rather the other women in the Top 4 on this list, AND THE HOOT.

3. Marybeth Byrd - "Stars" A fav song of mine, and a great choice for Marybeth. And no, she's not going for a safe watered down version. The basic arrangement is The Nocturnal's, but with some nice, BOLD changes (looking at you, John?). The vocal modulations that depart from Grace's are not to navigate the high notes but to accentuate it -- in other words, she's going for the fences! Brave girl. She nails it on the studio. Here's hoping for the lives. I reckon she'll soar.

4. Katie Kadan - "Without You" She could have switched songs with Rose, and we would have never known any better. But Katie's Paul McCartney would have been inevitably a growl fest (vs. Rose's power-is-nothing-without-control combo of fortitude and finesse). Her "Without You" studio boasts an impressively clean vocal full of soaring dead-on sustained notes of clarity. Let's see if she can or can't resist dirtying it up live (opposite of Myracle), and how that translates if she does. Regardless, she's a lock going forward.

5. Joana Martinez - "Dreaming of You" Joana's IS win instantly bestows her with underdog status for the season. America loves underdogs, right? So can she somehow avoid the bottom again (not that she wouldn't probably win another IS that isn't vs. Myracle, if it came to that)? This is an exquisite song choice (one that I expected) with a huge nostalgia/goodwill factor riding on it. Will the dated 90's arrangement play into the nostalgia, given that this is Selena? So far, dated 90's arrangements haven't hurt contestants (maybe the 90's vibe is due a comeback; not necessarily a bad thing). Would've have preferred a stripped down acoustic version -- just Joana and a single guitarist (Spanish/Flamenco finger-style), and maybe a string trio in the background who come in on the first chorus but super-soft, but then the string section slowly builds and swells on the last chorus, then drops for a sotto voce close out). Joana caresses the melody beautifully on this. Another great, near-perfect studio. Given the artist has previously displayed a mastery of balladry, and a centered steadiness on stage, I see an accomplished rendition on the books, but will the producers dare to project flashes of Selena onto the backdrop to turn this into a truly poignant in-memoriam moment? I doubt it, so performance order placement will be key for Joana, to ensure she doesn't get lost in the mix on a night of mostly good to great song choices.

6. Ricky Duran - "Downtown Train" I really like this song choice for Ricky. Has this guy had a questionable song choice yet? No, which suggests he's one of the TPTB's TCOs, so he's safe this week no matter what, sick or otherwise. He sounded great on the studio, which might have been recorded pre-sickness.

7. Will Breman - "Light My Fire" Another cool song choice. He's sound great on the studio. The song has been performed on Idol multiple times in many different ways, to varying degrees of success, so I don't think this is as much of a risk as some think. This is a LEGACY song, but not Will's version, which has its roots in Jose Feliciano's cover and Will Young's rendition on Idol (just jazzier and of course, scattier). He could kill this live, if all the right pieces fall into place. Pitch and control, Will!

8. Jake Hoot - "Every Light in the House" Boring. Perfunctory vocal on the studio. Not a note out of place, but nothing notable either. He's a rock steady live singer though, so it might translate into something better, which will in turn translate into a boat load of streams on Apple Music. He's not going anywhere. Bet every light in your house on it.

9. Shane Q - "Mercy" What, Shane not rock bottom? The only somewhat radical re-arrangement of the bunch. I like this arrangement and feel it elevates an otherwise bland song. I still loathe his upper register though, and it's abundant on the studio. And a few of the high notes were noticeably pitchy. On. The. Studio. Which doesn't bode well for the live performance.

10. Hello Sunday - "The Middle" Not a fan of the middling song choice. The song is actually the most current of the bunch, though still very last year's, and the arrangement certainly isn't current (nor was it on the original). Actually, I hate the arrangement on the studio, and the vocal isn't far behind. Out of all the songs in the world ever, their fans chose this? Still, they'll probably ride the cute factor and for this week end up somewhere in the bloody middle.

11. Kat Hammock - "I'll Fly Away" Ugh, this has me worried for my #1 snowflake. Blakers/BSers didn't buy Cali as a country artist. Will they buy Kat as one? I have my doubts. Not a country fan, but Alison Krauss I like. But of all her songs, I wouldn't have chosen this one. And why not stick to the Bluegrass arrangement if you're going to opt for it's dirt-poor cousin, the honky tonk? Piss poor arrangement on the studio. Could end up being Kat's Brennley Brown "Suds in the Bucket" moment. :x Much rather they stripped it down (see Joana's comments) with Kat on a uke (she can play that, right? Or just the piano?), plonk her down on a crate with some hay, and for accompaniment, have her with a fiddler, banjo player and a lap slide guitarist. At least this might "look" the part, even if at heart it really isn't. I hope I'm wrong Kat!!!!!! :'(

Finally listened to all the studio previews for tonight, at least a couple of times for each. Here's my take, listed in order of preference:

1. Rose Short - "Maybe I'm Amazed": Adore this song choice, and the vocal is absolutely as the song suggests. The power perfectly controlled and the phrasing immaculate. Listening to just a minute or so of this actually brought a tear to my eye. Since this is Rose, there can be little doubt of the quality she'll bring to this live. This could be the show opener, and the death spot will have zero impact on her progress at this stage of the competition. I had this song in mind for Katie last week, but truth be told, choices for Rose/Katie are interchangeable (see this week's choices for example). I'm beginning to see the path clearing for a Battle Royale between these two powerhouse for the crown (the first time since Chloe and Addison that the best two vocalists of the season finish 1/2?).

2. Myracle Holloway - "Everybody Hurts" Oh my, another incredible and cool song choice (thank you, fans!). Someone mentioned this as a bus attempt? I can't see that, and I certainly can't HEAR that. The studio is immaculate, and a reminder that Myracle IS the most experienced vocalist is the competition. Throw anything at her, this woman can deliver. If anything, the studio vocal is a tad too prettied up. She needs to dirty it up live, and allow us to live for those shreds and cracks. This song is crying out for that! The Koryn Hawthorne playbook is a canny one and a road map to the finals. Myracle's problem is not this song choice, but rather the other women in the Top 4 on this list, AND THE HOOT.

3. Marybeth Byrd - "Stars" A fav song of mine, and a great choice for Marybeth. And no, she's not going for a safe watered down version. The basic arrangement is The Nocturnal's, but with some nice, BOLD changes (looking at you, John?). The vocal modulations that depart from Grace's are not to navigate the high notes but to accentuate it -- in other words, she's going for the fences! Brave girl. She nails it on the studio. Here's hoping for the lives. I reckon she'll soar.

4. Katie Kadan - "Without You" She could have switched songs with Rose, and we would have never known any better. But Katie's Paul McCartney would have been inevitably a growl fest (vs. Rose's power-is-nothing-without-control combo of fortitude and finesse). Her "Without You" studio boasts an impressively clean vocal full of soaring dead-on sustained notes of clarity. Let's see if she can or can't resist dirtying it up live (opposite of Myracle), and how that translates if she does. Regardless, she's a lock going forward.

5. Joana Martinez - "Dreaming of You" Joana's IS win instantly bestows her with underdog status for the season. America loves underdogs, right? So can she somehow avoid the bottom again (not that she wouldn't probably win another IS that isn't vs. Myracle, if it came to that)? This is an exquisite song choice (one that I expected) with a huge nostalgia/goodwill factor riding on it. Will the dated 90's arrangement play into the nostalgia, given that this is Selena? So far, dated 90's arrangements haven't hurt contestants (maybe the 90's vibe is due a comeback; not necessarily a bad thing). Would've have preferred a stripped down acoustic version -- just Joana and a single guitarist (Spanish/Flamenco finger-style), and maybe a string trio in the background who come in on the first chorus but super-soft, but then the string section slowly builds and swells on the last chorus, then drops for a sotto voce close out). Joana caresses the melody beautifully on this. Another great, near-perfect studio. Given the artist has previously displayed a mastery of balladry, and a centered steadiness on stage, I see an accomplished rendition on the books, but will the producers dare to project flashes of Selena onto the backdrop to turn this into a truly poignant in-memoriam moment? I doubt it, so performance order placement will be key for Joana, to ensure she doesn't get lost in the mix on a night of mostly good to great song choices.

6. Ricky Duran - "Downtown Train" I really like this song choice for Ricky. Has this guy had a questionable song choice yet? No, which suggests he's one of the TPTB's TCOs, so he's safe this week no matter what, sick or otherwise. He sounded great on the studio, which might have been recorded pre-sickness.

7. Will Breman - "Light My Fire" Another cool song choice. He's sound great on the studio. The song has been performed on Idol multiple times in many different ways, to varying degrees of success, so I don't think this is as much of a risk as some think. This is a LEGACY song, but not Will's version, which has its roots in Jose Feliciano's cover and Will Young's rendition on Idol (just jazzier and of course, scattier). He could kill this live, if all the right pieces fall into place. Pitch and control, Will!

8. Jake Hoot - "Every Light in the House" Boring. Perfunctory vocal on the studio. Not a note out of place, but nothing notable either. He's a rock steady live singer though, so it might translate into something better, which will in turn translate into a boat load of streams on Apple Music. He's not going anywhere. Bet every light in your house on it.

9. Shane Q - "Mercy" What, Shane not rock bottom? The only somewhat radical re-arrangement of the bunch. I like this arrangement and feel it elevates an otherwise bland song. I still loathe his upper register though, and it's abundant on the studio. And a few of the high notes were noticeably pitchy. On. The. Studio. Which doesn't bode well for the live performance.

10. Hello Sunday - "The Middle" Not a fan of the middling song choice. The song is actually the most current of the bunch, though still very last year's, and the arrangement certainly isn't current (nor was it on the original). Actually, I hate the arrangement on the studio, and the vocal isn't far behind. Out of all the songs in the world ever, their fans chose this? Still, they'll probably ride the cute factor and for this week end up somewhere in the bloody middle.

11. Kat Hammock - "I'll Fly Away" Ugh, this has me worried for my #1 snowflake. Blakers/BSers didn't buy Cali as a country artist. Will they buy Kat as one? I have my doubts. Not a country fan, but Alison Krauss I like. But of all her songs, I wouldn't have chosen this one. And why not stick to the Bluegrass arrangement if you're going to opt for it's dirt-poor cousin, the honky tonk? Piss poor arrangement on the studio. Could end up being Kat's Brennley Brown "Suds in the Bucket" moment. :x Much rather they stripped it down (see Joana's comments) with Kat on a uke (she can play that, right? Or just the piano?), plonk her down on a crate with some hay, and for accompaniment, have her with a fiddler, banjo player and a lap slide guitarist. At least this might "look" the part, even if at heart it really isn't. I hope I'm wrong Kat!!!!!! :'(

Very good comments.

Just eagerly awaiting Someone's, as well. He usually has great commentary for his rankings, as well. :wub: <3

Edited by Rodney

I do as well. Thank God there’s somewhere here that doesn’t dislike them :D

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I like them :haha: I just don’t dislike them as much as last week. But if they sound the same or it least somewhat similar, they deserve to be safe

Edited by rp3598

Imma have to disagree with you there about Hello Sunday. I thought the arrangement was nice and unique. Hope they perform it live at the same capacity.

Light whoever suggested Will’s song on fire please.

I love the original and love the studio, but I certainly think it’s a huge risk, especially when he was definitely close to the bottom last week.

I also liked the studio (a LOT, actually :wub: ), and I appreciated the unique song choice, but I worry that it might get lost in the shuffle, especially since a lot of the Top 11 are singing attention-grabbing songs. I don't think he was near the bottom last week though.

Light whoever suggested Will’s song on fire please.

I love the original and love the studio, but I certainly think it’s a huge risk, especially when he was definitely close to the bottom last week.

Do we know for sure whether he was close to the bottom or not? I mean yes he was a coach’s save and that carries a risk, but we don’t know the actual totals of last week.

Do we know for sure whether he was close to the bottom or not? I mean yes he was a coach’s save and that carries a risk, but we don’t know the actual totals of last week.

They never release numbers so no we don't know if he was near the bottom or not. We could certainly speculate as to where he ranked but that's all we can do.

I also liked the studio (a LOT, actually :wub: ), and I appreciated the unique song choice, but I worry that it might get lost in the shuffle, especially since a lot of the Top 11 are singing attention-grabbing songs. I don't think he was near the bottom last week though.

I am excited for this song choice. It feels similar to his audition which I enjoyed a lot so this sounds like Will is going back to twisting up slower/mid tempo songs with this choice like he did in his audition .

Also Will doesn’t need an attention grabbing song because he makes song attention grabbing with his epic performances