Disney Songs Rankdown

Steven_

I Wan'na Be Like You 

I don't dislike this song, I don't love it either. It doesn't go past ok for me, but I can understand how someone would be a big fan of this. I'm not really a big fan of the guys voice on this song.  I wouldn't mind this being in the Top 20, but if it was it would most likely be in the bottom half of my rankings. I definitely think that "The Bare Necessities" is deverving to be the last song from The Jungle Book that is remaining. I personally wouldn't have had this song so close to the Top 20, but there were worse songs than this that needed to go first, and MOST are gone now sooooo

Awww "I Wan'na Be Like You." :( I guess that's fair. But it's such a cute, fun and joyous song that I do adore. :bobo: 

Ugh I got 3 targets left. I'm gonna be left with 2 of my targets making it through to the Top 20 huh? :dead: (Maybe even 3 if I don't do my write-up, lol). :haha: 

Mother Knows Best

Well, I was stuck between 3 songs for my final cut, and I was conflicted on what to do between them. Ultimately, I decided to cut the song that has already been cut and brought back into the game. I think at this very late stage of the game, I would kind of rather have songs that have been and had to fight being in the game for the entire game. That and I also think this song being cut would cause the least rage and upset feelings amongst the rankers, so this is my call at playing nice with you all so please note that. :kissbye: But yeah my final cut will be "Mother Knows Best."  

"Mother Knows Best" is a song from the 2010 musical adventure fantasy comedy film, Tangled. "Mother Knows Best" is performed by Mother Gothel (portrayed by Donna Murphy). Mother Gothel is the main villian of the film. She suggests and tries to mold/confine Rapunzel to be the way that she wants her to be. There are a number of passive-aggrestive insults in the song even though the song is performed in an upbeat manner. The song dears with subject matters of fearmongering, lying, and manipulation. Mother Gothel does have a beautiful theatrical voice that is full of character here. She hits some beautiful, big and impressive notes here. The song is intriguing and interesting to me. But at this point, it's one of the songs I am least connected to/with, and after losing a number of songs I do love, I'm more than fine with cutting this now. Oooh I also realized that the "Mother Knows Best reprise" was one of my first cuts in the game, so it might as well be fitting and for me to come full circle with cutting the original version of this song for my final cut. :haha: 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

REMAINING

Heigh-Ho (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)

Cruella De Vil (One Hundred and One Dalmatians)

Step in Time (Mary Poppins)

The Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)

Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)

Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid)

Friend Like Me (Aladdin)

Circle of Life (The Lion King)

Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)

Zero to Hero (Hercules)

I Won't Say (I'm in Love) (Hercules)

Almost There (The Princess and the Frog)

Let It Go (Frozen)

How Far I'll Go (Moana)

Un Poco Loco (Coco)

Show Yourself (Frozen II)

Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)

I feel in the next 20 years Pocahontas is going to go the way of Song of the South and "Colors of the Wind" is going to be its "Song of the South." A really excellent song that Disney would like everybody to forget where it came from. Because devoid of any context this is a genuinely beautiful song. Of course it is, it comes from the minds of Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz. But when it comes down to it all, this is a white lady singing a song written and composed by two white men about teaching a white man about how racism is bad through the face of a Native American character. In a story where they decided to make it a romance between a colonizer and the people he colonized. It's patronizing because it doesn't actually really borrow or reference any actual Native American traditions from the Powhatan people and instead just apes how white people view the like "Magic Native American" stereotype. It's a great song, I don't mind that it's lasted this long, but I'm going to save everybody from doing write-ups on it in the top 20.

35fc8d6a7594058018787a43787015ae.gif

This cut is me trying to be nice to everyone, despite losing two songs that I absolutely love - one of them was even my chosen gif for this rankdown. But yeah, since this song was tied with others during my battle round, I decided to cut. But yeah, knowing that it wasn't anyone's top favourite almost tempted me to let it sneak in the Top 20 since it wasn't likely to win, and in return cut a bigger threat to my favourites.  Anyway, "Un Poco Loco" is from the 2017 hit movie, Coco, and it features Miguel and Héctor. The song is the song they unexpectedly performed at a contest in the Land of the Dead and winning an invitation to Ernesto's party. Though they won, Miguel was unable to claim their prize because Pepita tracked them there, which led to Miguel fleeing the area to avoid his family. Overall, the song is decent but being decent is not good enough to earn a spot in the Top 20. It probably placed higher than it should have but now it's out of the rankdown, better late than never.

• Sad 1

Show Yourself

The power of Idina has propelled this song all the way to the last hurdle. I'm actually shocked that Let It Go made it this far and was never really cut or targeted. So it seems like that's the one we should go with. I didn't really like Frozen II that much, and a lot had to do with the music variety that they had. In the words of Mrs. Lenzen, "why did they try to make another 'Let It Go'?? just give the sad lesbian a fun song." Frozen II had not one but TWO Elsa ballads trying to recapture the magic of Let It Go. We can debate as to which is superior, but I think neither quite made it there. And then look at the other songs in the movie. A sad slow Anna ballad. A slow Evan Rachel Wood song. A Jonathan Groff ballad, give me a break. The soundtrack to Frozen was banger after banger and Frozen II was just dreary and slow. Anyway obviously I dislike Frozen II as a whole much more than I dislike this particular song. But again a lot of this feels like a rehash of Let It Go, like they have her with a costume change at the end of this song just like the last movie. The concept felt like paint-by-numbers and I hope that Frozen III is a bit more lively and thrilling.

• Sad 1

We have our Top 20!

I’ll make an official Top 20 post later (I’m on my phone now), but I’m aiming for a May 5th deadline. That gives everyone three weekends to work on their write-ups. And then the results can start on May 6th.

• Like 2

Aww sad to see "Colors of the Wind" go but also really happy with how far that song got in here. It's such a gorgeous song! ❤️ Happy with the Top 20 overall though. ❤️ 

Thank you for the long duedate, as I feel I have quite a number of things to do on here. :dead: 

TOP 20

anigif_sub-buzz-313-1617317445-8.gif

HEIGH-HO

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

tumblr_pgcgxmGqk71wh3kojo1_540.gif

CRUELLA DE VIL

One Hundred and One Dalmatians

99c06a2e-ab3c-472d-999a-3757527bfec8_tex

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS

Mary Poppins

8f242662-d093-405f-8e5f-0a91639b4427_tex

STEP IN TIME

Mary Poppins

dance-disney.gif

THE BEAR NECESSITIES

The Jungle Book

86767dbb26586ea865be209c220af7e1fd07f9ef.gif

PART OF YOUR WORLD

The Little Mermaid

79d8679a-51e9-46cc-8592-9e563b158aa8_tex

POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS

The Little Mermaid

1b993b57-87fe-4b42-b2ca-476cfef07e81_tex

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Beauty and the Beast

9c2b766e-5285-4881-8bc7-9f7b61856e16_tex

FRIEND LIKE ME

Aladdin

tumblr_poos4gpfng1wjld4so2_540.gif

A WHOLE NEW WORLD

Aladdin

2Ng0.gif

CIRCLE OF LIFE

The Lion King

3d88a246-ec13-47f2-86be-44a52d263776_tex

HEAVEN'S LIGHT/HELLFIRE

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

89c498e0-1da0-47a7-9d80-67ea32e4486f_tex

ZERO TO HERO

Hercules

tumblr_nlgxj8q9kI1r5xzspo1_500.gif

I WON'T SAY (I'M IN LOVE)

Hercules

ce5414b564e17d131546a6276556dca1.gif

REFLECTION

Mulan

2643e200b8571b99cbf333a83ea1a23a

I'LL MAKE A MAN OUT OF YOU

Mulan

tumblr_oun1uzGH251uqynfao1_540.gif

ALMOST THERE

The Princess and the Frog

tumblr_n0g9kzmeqq1qm2s94o2_500.gif

LET IT GO

Frozen

tumblr_pb3abahSqm1xt328io1_540.gif

HOW FAR I'LL GO

Moana

47083d1d-fa55-4243-95c3-25c1181dc268_tex

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO

Encanto

Congrats to our Top 20!

You all know what is next. Every ranker must submit a ranking of the Top 20. #1 is your favorite; #20 is your least favorite. You are required to include write-ups with at least 100 original words for your Top 10. For your Bottom 10, you still need to write something. It can just be a few sentences. However, write-ups for all twenty songs are still encouraged.

The deadline is by the end of the day Sunday, May 5th.

If you have any questions, then let me know.

Good luck to your favorites!

@Alex95 @*Chris @FrogLenzen @erik g @totes4totes @Solaris @*Wallace

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, *Diana said:

is the public allowed to send in rankings?

I wasn't planning on it since there only seemed to be a couple of non-rankers following the thread. 

• Sad 1

Yeah, there are a couple songs I wish could have made it to the end. But overall, I do love this Top 20 and think this is a very strong Top 20 nonetheless. :yes:❤️ 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, erik g said:

Already know what #20 is!!!

Erik: *tries to eliminate "We Don't Talk About Bruno" the whole game.*

The other rankers: bdd.jpg

Edited by Steven_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:04 PM, erik g said:

We Dont Talk About Bruno

On 2/4/2024 at 11:46 PM, *Chris said: