Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

I See the Light

maxresdefault.jpg

Visually, I think this is one of the most stunning seasons. The animators were really in their bag with this one. It's also my favorite performance from Mandy Moore in this movie. Overall, the song is pretty, but never really moved me in the way it's supposed to. It doesn't necessarily reach past the point of "pretty". I think Flynn is part of the problem. Not that he's a bad singer, but I don't think Levi has necessarily a "pretty" voice. The first half of the song is better than the second, and I think it should've stayed a solo. Especially since Rapunzel is the one seeing the world for the first time and not so much Flynn. Men! Taking over someone's narrative and song like it's nothing! I'm kinda surprised with this song's success in this game but also not? There was a time a lot earlier in the game where it was one of the last remaining nominees and I was really close to cutting it, but I liked it just a bit more than the song I did eventually cut, whatever that was. I thought that meant there wasn't passion for it and it would get cut soon enough. But here we are in almost the top 30 so it did better for itself than I expected.

Go the Distance (Hercules)

So I nominated all three Hercules songs left. But I also could have nominated all three Aladdin songs left. Just we are at Top 30 and I have pretty much no skin in this game since all my favorites have been cut (some a long time ago, some more recently) so I think it's fair that Hercules, which has 10% of the songs in this Top 30 loses one. I think the other songs left are largely stronger and I think that compared to the other two movies with three songs (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast), Hercules falls behind. And this isn't just because I am hater (I have a lot of fondness for Hercules as one of the first movies I can remember seeing in theater and as one of the few movies I saw with just my dad). But again, we are at the Top 30. Every cut is going to be hard for people. That's the nature of a rankdown. Anyway, I like this song. It's very good. I think if Hercules has a highlight then it's the genuine quality of the three songs of Hercules that we have left. I love a good "I want" song and this fits the bill. But again, compared to the other "I want" songs left it just doesn't hit as hard. This is Hercules's only song in the movie and I think that's a fine choice. It's a great song. But we are at top 30. We have 29 great songs left.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:58 AM, Alex95 said:

I'm glad to cut the last song isn't the characters themselves actually singing it.

can't believe i missed this my first time around reading it but aside from the intro verse in the movie this is all phil collins (and the full version is only in the end credits as well!)

3 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Megan being nicer to me than Derek was not what I was expecting this round. 😭 :dead:  (Though now I'm suddenly okay with Megan's past noms lol).

I know you mean you are now okay with ALL my past noms :wub:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

can't believe i missed this my first time around reading it but aside from the intro verse in the movie this is all phil collins (and the full version is only in the end credits as well!)

I forgot about this! Down with You’ll Be in my Heart!!!!

• Haha 1

5/6 votes came in so far, but we already have a majority.

"A Whole New World" received zero votes.

"Reflection" received one vote.

"Prince Ali" received four votes and is eliminated from the game.

@Solaris can now post his three nominations.

"Prince Ali.: 😢 But it's the one Aladdin song I'm willing to let go, so I understand and fine with the decision. (Glad I didn't have to vote as I didn't want to vote against it lol).

Ooh and I had a feeling the Beauty and the Beast battle was coming on Sola's round. :haha: Hmm, I think I'm a toss-up between two songs so not sure how to vote here. 🤔 Maybe I'll let the rest of the voters decide (again)?

On 4/15/2024 at 4:46 PM, Alex95 said:

Actually if it's not too late for me to change I'm gonna go early since I'm going on vacation soon and wanna be sure I can get my writeup in before I'm gone

NOMINATION ORDER SIGN-UP

3. Alex

7. Sola

I could’ve just stayed where I was 👁️👄👁️ 

Prince Ali 

Genie was my #2 for Disney characters rankdown and Robin Williams is one of the greatest of all time. So what gives??????? Well I decided to target this song over the other Genie Robin Williams number which I very greatly prefer to this. I figure if time is running out for the trio of Aladdin songs, I'd rather be the one to have some control over the decision than someone else. And the other songs nominated were ones that I could live with being cut in case this backfired lol. So yeah, this song being in the Top 30 is not outrageous but as we get closer to the Top 20 I wanted to buy some more time for a handful of some other faves. I have no negatives to say about this song, it is iconic and amazing.

The Bells of Notre Dame

Well, I have been pretty transparent, and my thoughts have been pretty straightforward in that I sadly don't connect as well or as much with The Hunchback of Notre Dame songs compared to everything else remaining here. So they were sadly going to be amongst my nominees. I don't know which of the two songs was more popular amongst the group of rankers as both songs have gotten saved multiple times throughout the game. Then for the other nominee, it was just a matter of going with a song I would be fine with going if it were to go if The Hunchback songs survived - so the Coco song filled that void. So like Alex said, I gave you all an easy target there. 😛 I was fine with any of the songs going. But I suppose we are saying goodbye to "The Bells of Notre Dame."

"The Bells of Notre Dame" is a song from the 1996 animated musical drama film, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. "The Bells of Notre Dame" is sung and performed by Clopin Trouillefou (portrayed by Paul Kandel) Judge Claude Frollo (portrayed by Tony Jay, as well as performed by David Ogden Stiers & Chorus). I believe this is one of the opening songs from the film or at least it's very early on the movie? I can't recall. As I watch it more, it does look like the opening scene. This is a really deep and powerful song - definitely a battle and heated scene between Clopin and Judge Claude. Clopin is very angry at Judge Claude. Watching this scene and hearing the song, it's all very good and powerful. I get the strong love for the song. But again, I just struggle to dind and get the catchiness of the song and it's not a song that would get stuck in my head or stick with me like the remaining songs here. But I definitely get those that would feel this is epic and/or iconic and all of that. But yeah with this song making it to the Top 31, this is a really great spot for it as we're down to such amazing and memorable songs.

The rankers saved: Heaven's Light/Hellfire & Un Poco Loco

I think if a song about a woman begging for sanctuary on the steps of a church and subsequently getting murdered by a blood-thirsty priest leaving her deformed child behind was considered "catchy" it would be a problem.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I think if a song about a woman begging for sanctuary on the steps of a church and subsequently getting murdered by a blood-thirsty priest leaving her deformed child behind was considered "catchy" it would be a problem.

Ooh yeah that's totally fair and I do agree with you on that. :yes: I definitely don't think a song with that subject matter should be fun or catchy.