The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

29 minutes ago, B-B said:

@voicetakeover890 was right tbh...

I prefer a lot of the singers they mentioned, but I don't think that all R&B/pop singers "bring some spark" and I don't think all country singers don't have that spark.

I think Lauren Duski had that spark in terms of emoting a ton. However, there are R&B singers that I don't think have that spark (and I can think of one from this season, but I suspect I will get backlash from saying their name lmao). 

A lot of it comes down to opinion though! And we are all entitled to our own opinions for whether or not we like certain artists, and that's okay! 🙂

(This post is not meant at all to be argumentative or meant to blame or anything, hopefully it doesn't come across that way! 🙂)

Edited by QueenCami
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I prefer a lot of the singers they mentioned, but I don't think that all R&B/pop singers "bring some spark" and I don't think all country singers don't have that spark.

I think Lauren Duski had that spark in terms of emoting a ton. However, there are R&B singers that I don't think have that spark (and I can think of one from this season, but I suspect I will get backlash from saying their name lmao). 

A lot of it comes down to opinion though! And we are all entitled to our own opinions for whether or not we like certain artists, and that's okay! 🙂

(this post is not meant at all to be argumentative or meant to blame or anything lmao, hopefully it doesn't come across that way_

Lmao on this. Yes we are entitled but if your target one of their favorite, the will look at you as if you committed a crime. 

I experienced one time a kind of thing like this and I kind of handled it incorrectly, what happened? it blew up.

1 minute ago, Jyn Mycle said:

Lmao on this. Yes we are entitled but if your target one of their favorite, the will look at you as if you committed a crime. 

I experienced one time a kind of thing like this and I kind of handled it incorrectly, what happened? it blew up.

oh yeah lmao, i've experienced the same thing with multiple contestants and multiple people on here. but whether or not people agree with you, you're still entitled to your opinion 

consider the brave @Hamza Tufail who said that shane deserved the win over myracle and got 20+ confused reactions but still believes the same thing! it's ok to like who you want, it's just that if you say certain things on here, people might disagree (which is natural considering that this is a discussion board)

• Like 2

How you measure talent?

I mean I prefer country singers. They are not power houses, but some of us like simple/emotional songs rather than high note hitting songs.

To me, most important thing is staying on the pitch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

(This post is not meant at all to be argumentative or meant to blame or anything, hopefully it doesn't come across that way! 🙂)

This^ it got me kinda mad though how everyone just attacked them. They usually never do that. It was kind of harsh.

29 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

thank you for not attacking them btw and actually agreeing and being the kind human being people love seeing btw😁❤️. Thank you @B-B as well for not attacking and actually being calm about the rants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

all opinions are valid! except Dana Monique slander... that’ll get you thrown in jail!

why are you so funny tho... you and queencami kill me sometimes y’all so relatable😭😭

Edited by VoiceSelf12
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, VoiceSelf12 said:

This^ it got me kinda mad though how everyone just attacked them. They usually never do that. It was kind of harsh.

Sorry about that. It just annoys me when people use stereotypes and don't appreciate the individuality of an artist. I should have responded better, but it was just a heat of the moment thing. 

All I have to say is that I didn't attempt to attack or invalidate @VoiceTakeover890's opinion in any way. If they felt like I did, then I apologize as well. I didn't have a problem with their opinion, but I'm firm that they shouldn't have said stated "country males don't have that spark" like it was a fact. Btw I rarely like country males too lol. Anyway, the conversation is over with and I commend VoiceTakeover for apologizing despite not really needing to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Sorry about that. It just annoys me when people use stereotypes and don't appreciate the individuality of an artist. I should have responded better, but it was just a heat of the moment thing. 

nah your fine lol. You just got mad because you love country and they were calling country not that interesting, but i like how @voicetakeover890 apologized that was huge from them. They are kind.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

All I have to say is that I didn't attempt to attack or invalidate @VoiceTakeover890's opinion in any way. If they felt like I did, then I apologize as well. I didn't have a problem with their opinion, but I'm firm that they shouldn't have said stated "country males don't have that spark" like it was a fact. Btw I rarely like country males too lol. Anyway, the conversation is over with and I commend VoiceTakeover for apologizing despite not really needing to.

Your fine as well lol. I would get it. I do not think they meant it in a harsh way though, but let’s forget it abt it. 

Edited by VoiceSelf12
  • Like 1

It´s all subjective. Some people are impressed by the high notes, crazy runs, and vocal tricks. Country singers (particulary males) are not usually prone to do that, hence why they don´t really get the reaction that Cam did by delivering perfect runs and even scatting. I don´t expect Kenzie to scat, I´m pretty sure he doesn´t know how to, but does that make him an inferior vocalist? In my eyes, it doesn´t, but the people that are impressed or moved by the things I said obviously will.

There are other people who don´t care about wailing high notes or runs or tricks, and are more moved by deep tones, storytelling, etc. I believe classic country, and some modern, as well (discounting bro or boyfriend country), excels in that area, and several vocalists, both male or female, are good at representing that essence. The biggest argument I get is that country sorta stays there and never goes to the places that R&B or soul or other genres go. Well yeah, because it is it´s own thing. Country music is about storytelling. And a lot of people seem to be moved by that. Not to mention not everybody can sing country, that´s for sure. It is not as easy as people believe it is.

That´s why I personally find Kenzie compelling, and I personally do prefer him to Dana, or Gihanna, or a lot of the artists that IDF deem as "vocally better", and "more deserving" to win the trophy. It´s apples and oranges. Kenzie can´t do what they do, and they can´t do what he does. It´s all a matter of preference. I´m sure many will disagree, and that´s ok.

Everybody has the right to express their opinion. What I do have a problem with though, is with people invalidating artistry from some contestants just because they don´t like them. Or accusing them of "doing nothing", and getting to the finale over "people who actually work hard". That´s it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

It´s all subjective. Some people are impressed by the high notes, crazy runs, and vocal tricks. Country singers (particulary males) are not usually prone to do that, hence why they don´t really get the reaction that Cam did by delivering perfect runs and even scatting. I don´t expect Kenzie to scat, I´m pretty sure he doesn´t know how to, but does that make him an inferior vocalist? In my eyes, it doesn´t, but the people that are impressed or moved by the things I said obviously will.

There are other people who don´t care about wailing high notes or runs or tricks, and are more moved by deep tones, storytelling, etc. I believe classic country, and some modern, as well (discounting bro or boyfriend country), excels in that area, and several vocalists, both male or female, are good at representing that essence. The biggest argument I get is that country sorta stays there and never goes to the places that R&B or soul or other genres go. Well yeah, because it is it´s own thing. Country music is about storytelling. And a lot of people seem to be moved by that. Not to mention not everybody can sing country, that´s for sure. It is not as easy as people believe it is.

That´s why I personally find Kenzie compelling, and I personally do prefer him to Dana, or Gihanna, or a lot of the artists that IDF deem as "vocally better", and "more deserving" to win the trophy. It´s apples and oranges. Kenzie can´t do what they do, and they can´t do what he does. It´s all a matter of preference. I´m sure many will disagree, and that´s ok.

Everybody has the right to express their opinion. What I do have a problem with though, is with people invalidating artistry from some contestants just because they don´t like them. Or accusing them of "doing nothing", and getting to the finale over "people who actually work hard". That´s it.

This^, but let’s forget about it! If they did we should as well!!!

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

One thing i have to say about the whole "Cam vs Kenzie" thing (i'm referring to the fact that a lot of people here, including me, are pretty sure they are going to be the Top 2) is that, they both excel at what they do. They both do a great job on their respective genres and, since both of them are very different artists, i personally can't really directly compare them. 

So, at the end of the day, it comes down to preference. It's perfectly fine if someone prefer country over R&B, even if the country singers don't do all the runs and vocal acrobacies that R&B/Soul singers usually do. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 3

If I can add my two cents, I think some may be frustrated with the concept of "The Voice" over the "Artist/Storyteller". I for one love when someone who knows themselves as an artist (vocally amazing or not so much) goes far on the show. I also adore when people who blow the roof vocally are given the praise they deserve and go far. That said, people who don't appreciate (e.g. country male storytelling) will probably have a hard time accepting that it's the main demographic's interest, and that what people feel towards crazy good vocal performers might be what others feel towards good country storytellers.

Idk if that makes sense, but it happens all the time. Happened with Desz/Jim and Ian, Todd/Toneisha, Lauren/Chris (I think) and soon with Kenzie/Cam. I for one, haven't been able to get into Kenzie, and I've expressed my frustrations on the fact that he might win over others that I consider more deserving. However, the moment you take into account other people's perspective and the fact that what you think of Cam's performance being flawless and insane, others may think that way about Kenzie's because they find it more impressive when someone delivers the story telling he did. I'm interested to hear more from Kenzie. I'm one who loves to hear "power" from country males (e.g. Sundance) so that might be what makes me warm up to Kenzie. Others might not need that, and may want a ballad to connect with him story telling wise. It's all about different opinions, which are all valid. 

(Didn't realize @Gustavo527 literally posted what I am just saying in a more summarized way but this took time from my actual essay so I won't waste it muah)

• Like 2

Dang I missed a lot :haha:

I’m (obviously) against of country guys having to do less to go far, and it’s one of my least favorite things about the show since I started watching. But some of the arguments (if you can call them arguments) people make are just... :whut: I said this once, people constantly complain about Minivan and they act exactly the same as them, but on the other side of the argument. Never a fan of people who throw the rock and hide their hand either.

Country guys going far regardless of their talent is just a given in this show. Either you get past it and focus on the other aspects that make this show good, or it might be better to change the channel because you’re going to be pissed all the time.

Anyways, I do hope Kenzie can change it up in the lives though, he has been solid vocally but he has done nothing for me in other aspects. He hasn’t “wowed” yet either (which is subjective I know) but nailing a country ballad or doing something unexpected/out of his comfort zone (hopefully no more uptempo though) might change that.

That said, everyone else in the Top 20 has things to work on (p.e Cam might want to go for a ballad to show how he delivers in terms of emotions), not just Kenzie.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Daillon said:

That said, everyone else in the Top 20 has things to work on (p.e Cam might want to go for a ballad to show how he delivers in terms of emotions), not just Kenzie.

I agree. BK's post in the other thread shows that pretty much everyone has stuff to work on, and even the ones for which he didn't have notes, I thought there were places for improvement.

5 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I agree. BK's post in the other thread shows that pretty much everyone has stuff to work on, and even the ones for which he didn't have notes, I thought there were places for improvement.

Yeah, your advice for Zania was spot on. That never occurred to me before, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, QueenCami said:

I feel a little bad posting this, but I couldn't not do it. This is Carolina smirking and Savanna full-on smiling while Devan's performance starts to go off the rails:

uum5OZo.png

Queen of smiling during people's performances, though she's a bit more obscured here:

sONXDlI.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Queen of smiling during people's performances, though she's a bit more obscured here:

sONXDlI.png

She just looks really happy to be there imo, which is great for her.

• Like 4

Just now, FloorWax said:

She just looks really happy to be there imo, which is great for her.

Yeah, like I said before, she thrives in high-pressure situations and even seems to be having a great time. She would do great in the WC, if she wins the 4WKO and makes it into the WC, although the competition will be much tougher, probably.