DWTS32 Week 1 - Premiere Night Discussion thread!

*Wallace

Oop I ended up watching with some other people so I stopped commenting but the end half of the episode was a LOT better than the first imo.

I agree with the leaderboard except for Xochitl but it was inevitable she was going to be underscored since she went first. 

I wish Matt could've stayed because he had a really fun personality & seemed like he had potential had he been given more time, but it is what it is :( 

26 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Everyone else makes sense, but you could have had Mark or literally anyone no named Emma

lmaoo oh, I don't know what to say. :lmao: But just anyone from DWTS would make sense to be on there. Though Emma makes more sense than Hayley as Emma has been on the show longer. :haha: 

22 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

Give Koko a contender next year. (!) 

She truly deserves one. ❤️ 

This season looks like it could be very unpredictable and fun which makes me excited! Even though Charity/Ariana/Jason are at the top right now I don't think it's going to be as easy for them to dominate as it was for Charli/Gabby/Wayne last season. Xochitl and Lele are also frontrunners, Mira and Barry could be dark horses, and then you have people like Adrian/Harry who could potentially pull off an upset. I'm perched! 

I gotta do a rewatch of the dances to make sure for sure but my rankings of tonight's dances from what I could gather up in my mind:

1. Ariana & Pasha - Tango
  2. Charity & Artem - Tango
  3. Jason & Daniella - Cha-Cha
  4. Lele & Brandon - Tango
  5. Xochitl & Val - Cha-Cha
  6. Adrian & Britt - Salsa
  7. Mira & Gleb - Cha-Cha
  8. Mauricio & Emma - Jive
  9. Jamie Lynn & Alan - Tango
  10. Barry & Peta - Foxtrot
  11. Matt & Koko - Cha-Cha
  12. Tyson & Jenna - Cha-Cha
  13. Harry & Rylee - Cha-Cha
  14. Alyson & Sasha - Salsa

10 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

lmaoo oh, I don't know what to say. :lmao: But just anyone from DWTS would make sense to be on there. Though Emma makes more sense than Hayley as Emma has been on the show longer. :haha: 

She truly deserves one. ❤️ 

Hayley is Dereks fiance though.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:11 PM, m1key said:

This season looks like it could be very unpredictable and fun which makes me excited! Even though Charity/Ariana/Jason are at the top right now I don't think it's going to be as easy for them to dominate as it was for Charli/Gabby/Wayne last season. Xochitl and Lele are also frontrunners, Mira and Barry could be dark horses, and then you have people like Adrian/Harry who could potentially pull off an upset. I'm perched! 

Edited by XoBrynn

this is the order they are posted in youtube because goodness knows i played baldur's gate last night instead of watching this but my thoughts:

Tyson/Jenna Cha-Cha: Oof. I just assumed we were at the stage where Jenna was like only getting ringers because I personally want to see Jenna as much on TV as possible. I also assumed because he was a model he would be able to at least connect with the camera. But um. This wasn't good. It's a weak slate of men and I thought he'd be able to pass through on that fact alone. But. He's not good! I've exclusively been watching GOOD dancing lately. So seeing bad dancing is a shock! 4.0/10

Charity/Artem Tango: This was good! Charity is like the opposite of Tyson where I think she's so charismatic that it will cover up a lot of flaws this early in the season. The choreography wasn't as exciting as it could have been I think (especially compared to Ariana's tango which I obviously and immediately watched first) but it was a strong first week for a contestant who I think will be here a while. 7/10

Mira/Gleb Cha-Cha: Hmmmmmmm. She has "early to mid-season" boot written all over her! This was fine. She dances exactly how I imagine she would be dancing at 55. But man we gotta get her in better movies than "QAnon propaganda" and "Harry Styles fanfic" 5.5/10

Lele/Brandon Tango: This was good. I think it started out giving me higher expectations than how it ultimately finished. But she's clearly got some natural talent. Hopefully she can get Brandon over that early elimination hump. But if there was going to be a "shock" elimination of the season I wouldn't be surprised if she was it considering that her fanbase mostly seems to be online instead of like the people who vote for DWTS. But what do I know!!!!!!!!!! 7/10

Barry/Peta Foxtrot: Obviously the perfect style for him to start out with. I don't see him getting much better than this in the competition. HE'S ONLY 68. My brain is so warped because all the people I know in their 60s personally are like my POC family members and actual celebrities. And I am so sorry to Barry but I thought he was like 75. I was gonna be like "he's like your grandpa dancing" but this is more like he's my oldest uncle dancing. 5/10

Matt/Koko Cha-Cha: The costuming department has committed crimes against Koko here. I feel for Matt. First signing on to this show not knowing that technically it was a WGA production. Having to drop out for like 2 days. Having to have the same name as the terrible man on the internet. Anyway, low scores deserved but I did think he was at least better in this than Tyson was in his cha-cha. 4.5/10

Jamie Lynn/Alan Tango: Whatever. 5/10

Adrian/Britt Salsa: Here's the thing. There are football players who have done bad things and have legitimately worked the rest of their lives to make up for that. Think like Michael Vick. Who went to jail for dog fighting. And then after release went back to the NFL and did a lot of work as an animal advocate. Unfortunately many many many more players (Your Tyreek Hills, Deshaun Watsons, Antonio Browns, Ray Rices, Ray Lewises) have not done the same. And that unfortunate second group includes Adrian Peterson. But it's like a sad ugly part of American Sports culture that as long as the guy is good enough at sports, his crimes are going to be ignored. So two things are completely true right now: What Adrian Peterson has done is despicable and he should be wasting away with no more significant paychecks or spotlight after beating his child, he also has a shot at being the top male celebrity this season because of a relatively weak male cast and the fact that he rushed for 1400+ yards the year after his (essentially) league suspension.

Jason/Daniella Cha-Cha: I personally think Jason Mraz is lame as hell, but it looks like two things may be true: He can dance and has some name recognition. Therefore, he may be the best shot at being the last man left over AP. Daniella is an excellent and creative choreographer so that helps. This was fun. I'm never going to be a Jason Mraz fan because I'm cool and popular but like. I can see him doing well in this competition. 7/10

Harry/Rylee Cha-Cha: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. He is worse than Tyson. 3/10

Mauricio/Emma Jive: He will never emotionally satisfy Kyle and he certainly won't emotionally satisfy me on the dance floor! However, I need him to last AS LONG AS POSSIBLE so Kyle has to keep showing up doing things like not wearing her wedding ring and then be seen hanging out like the next day with her country music ALLEGED GF because how else am I going to fuel the time between now and the next season of RHOBH! 5/10

Ariana/Pasha Tango: She's great. The only way it could have been better if the song was "Raise Your Glass" but the costuming department putting her in the ballroom version of her revenge dress? Perfect. Put her in the SUR napkin dress next. Ariana PLZ TELL ME THE STATUS OF YOUR PROBABLY FAKE SANDWICH SHOP. 8/10

Alyson/Sasha Salsa: Look I know you are all like "Wow, Megan probably loves Alyson since she was Willow" and you'd be wrong. Because I'm the opposite of Elliott and consider HIMYM to be a blight on television. Mostly JK-ing. The real truth is that somehow I am the one WLW BtVS fan who really just doesn't care about Willow at all! This was bad. Sorry for Alyson but the rest of the female cast actually looks decent enough. And if she doesn't pick it up next week only her name recognition will be saving her! It doesn't help that she has Sasha who might be the worst pro! 4/10

Xochitl/Val Cha-Cha: It's 100% not her fault and I really like Xochitl in her season of The Babysitter's Club, but her casting in the MCU caused me to drop the series to the point where I didn't even realize they completely changed Kamala Khan's powers. And now I finally am looking up the bad Dr. Strange movie summary and see this "she chooses to stay on Earth-616 and learn the mystic arts at Kamar-Taj under Wong's tutelage" Like just make new characters MCU. Like why even. Again it's not her fault but I just can't help feel the resentment over it all when I see her. This is me RESTRAINED. And I'm going to try not to talk about it anymore! Anyway, this was good. She was underscored because she went first. If she was in the middle she would have gotten at least one 7 but they probably didn't realize the mediocrity they had on their hands! 7/10

Pasha and Daniella in their bag this season!

Saved the best for last for me, Ariana killed it. But loving Charity and Jason. Lele and Xochitl have promise. And I really enjoyed Mira and Barry.

Matt got lowballed a bit. Tyson and Alyson were rough obviously, but oof, Harry was probably the worst to me. Rylee’s gonna be a great addition to the pro roster.

Mauricio and Jamie Lynn were fine, forgettable. Adrian should not have been that high up at all. It pains me to root for an early exit for Britt but here we are.

• Like 1

Also I can’t be too hard on them seeing as it’s their first show together but I’m hoping Alfonso/Julianne grows on me.

With Tom you had the natural wit and with Tyra you had an unexpectedness each week. And I thought Tyra got better! Alfonso just comes across overrehearsed to me. Hope they come into their own more over the season.

catching up with the premiere

My scores:

Xochitl & Val - 7

Barry & Peta - 5

Tyson & Jenna - 3

Alyson & Sasha - 3

Harry & Rylee - 2

Jason & Daniella - 7

Jamie Lynn & Alan - 5

Adrian & Brit - 3

Lele & Brandon - 7

Mira & Gleb - 5