American Idol S21 Top 12 Reveal Discussion

istersay

Look, I don't think Nutsa is a bad singer at all, and her stage presence is excellent.

But can someone explain to me what y'all see in her? I just think she has the least vocal control and one of the smaller ranges among the powerhouse vocalists.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

A couple reasons one it's a jealousy thing but the biggest reason is thirst. They mostly just watch Idol for new guys to thirst over every year. That's why the same type of people win Idol every year. 

Yeah, I remember that even in early seasons a cute guy would get farther than a talented girl in many cases.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I wonder why team Minivan dislikes female contestants so much.  They’re women, too.  Or am I just guilty of thinking that because they’re women team Minivan should root for a female contestant?

Like @QueenKalie said, a lot of it is jealousy. The IDF darlings tend to be gorgeous women with big voices. Minivan gets jealous of that and they can't relate to that. They prefer women who are more "realistic" and relatable. 

Obviously this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's why people like Kaeyra and Olivia Soli didn't make Top 10 tonight, but people like Megan and Marybeth did. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Elliott said:

This Top 12 has an even gender parity.

Maybe if the judges actually did their job and stopped acting like every single contestant is the best singer ever, the votes would be different.

Because two women were added as wildcards. Potentially two women that had even less votes (and therefore less potential to overcome a man) than some of the other women in the bottom group. 

At least with 6 males/ 6 females in by votes, you’ve got the top vote getters all going up against eachother. 

But agreed with the judges comments, and that’s another layer to why the show can’t overcome the voters biases anymore. Simon and Co. used to try their best to sway the minds of the voters with their comments. Now with everyone getting accolades all the time even if they’re awful theres nothing to keep voters from just voting for the awful. 

• Like 1

Just now, m1key said:

Like @QueenKalie said, a lot of it is jealousy. The IDF darlings tend to be gorgeous women with big voices. Minivan gets jealous of that and they can't relate to that. They prefer women who are more "realistic" and relatable. 

Obviously this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's why people like Kaeyra and Olivia Soli didn't make Top 10 tonight, but people like Megan and Marybeth did. 

Would We be in the relatable category?  She’s not the most gorgeous girl, I think.

4 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Look, I don't think Nutsa is a bad singer at all, and her stage presence is excellent.

But can someone explain to me what y'all see in her? I just think she has the least vocal control and one of the smaller ranges among the powerhouse vocalists.

The conviction, the drama, the chutzpah!

Same reason why I like Zachariah.

Idol has always been a showboat-y competition, and I think those two contestants lean into it the best.

• Like 6

Just now, Teraginn said:

The conviction, the drama, the chutzpah!

Same reason why I like Zachariah.

Idol has always been a showboat-y competition, and I think those two contestants lean into it the best.

Fair enough.

Controversial but I think Zachariah does it better. It doesn't affect his vocals nearly as much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Fair enough.

Controversial but I think Zachariah does it better. It doesn't affect his vocals nearly as much.

I don't disagee with you on that. I think he's easily the best male vocalist behind Iam this season.

I can do without Zachariah's problematic backstory though. :P I think I'm good with Oliver as my lone fave this year.

Edited by Teraginn

Just now, Teraginn said:

I don't disagee with you on that. I think he's easily the best male vocalist behind Iam this season.

Agreed.

Just now, Teraginn said:

I can do without Zachariah's problematic backstory though. :P I think I'm good with Oliver as my lone fave this year.

I'm surprised this isn't mentioned at all around here. 32 year old with a 19 year old? Yikes.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Would We be in the relatable category?  She’s not the most gorgeous girl, I think.

I think she is somewhat relatable. The ASL moment in her package yesterday is definitely something that will help her. 

Also, while she may not be "conventionally" attractive (I personally think she is gorgeous though), she presents herself in a very classy manner. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, m1key said:

I honestly think it's much simpler than that.

Megan is a Christian/Gospel type singer and MaryBeth is Country.

We know powerhouses like Olivia don't make it the farthest, and Kaeyra switched genres almost every song.

Also, idk about you.. but Marybeth is pretty conventionally attractive to me.

12 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I honestly think it's much simpler than that.

Megan is a Christian/Gospel type singer and MaryBeth is Country.

We know powerhouses like Olivia don't make it the farthest, and Kaeyra switched genres almost every song.

Also, idk about you.. but Marybeth is pretty conventionally attractive to me.

Yeah Marybeth is pretty cute she's certainly not in Kaeyra or Olivia's league very few people are in that but I agree that in this circumstance it's about genre and geographical location and not outward appearance.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

You kinda went into it - she does have excellent stage presence.

It's not just the singing that matters - Nutsa is one of the best performers this season and probably one of the most complete contestants in this Top 12. :yes: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This episode ain't it: For the judges to have to choose between Nutsa, Lucy, Olivia, Kaeyra, and Nailyah? Mercury Retrograde must be in full effect tonight. :wacko:

I'm so heartbroken for Olivia... :no: :broken: However, Lucy earned her spot in the Top 12 based on her performance tonight.

Edited by ShortstopVM
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I wonder why team Minivan dislikes female contestants so much.  They’re women, too.  Or am I just guilty of thinking that because they’re women team Minivan should root for a female contestant?

I can’t speak for all women but some women who vote for guys have female favorites. They just have a specific type of female voices they like. I’m a female, and Haley Reinhart is still my most fave from American Idol. 🥳

I appreciate both female and males voices - if they sing a genre I like I will root for them. Aside from my fave guys this year I like a few girls like Kaeyra and Paige. 

55 minutes ago, m1key said:

I think she is somewhat relatable. The ASL moment in her package yesterday is definitely something that will help her. 

Also, while she may not be "conventionally" attractive (I personally think she is gorgeous though), she presents herself in a very classy manner. 

I think that We is attractive, too, just not conventionally attractive and that might help her defuse any jealousy from Team Minivan over her looks, while the ASL in her package should help her be more relatable.  I know only a few words in sign language, mainly due to my being at a Christian camp for special needs kids in the past and learning a few signs for “Jesus”, “loves”, “me” and “the Bible”, mainly.

Also, Lucy has got to learn how to look more graceful on TV lol. She looks so mad all the time and is starting to come across as arrogant. I still really like her but the housewives and granny voters are gonna turn on her even more if she doesn’t start to at least smile on camera. I get that she’s determined but it is getting a little off putting seeing her look so smug. 

• Confused 1

Keayrah was robbed, she should have been picked over Nutsa, it should have been a top 13. Other than that, I love the top 12, so many amazing performances and i think Zachariah just got all the Eddie Munson Fan's votes. Marybeth, wow, and Iam, wow, to many to name on favorite performances.

• Like 1