FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

6 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Since I watched Amanda Brown’s run parallel with Cassadee’s just to make things more enjoyable (I’ll probably do this for every long season from this point onwards), who should I watch in conjunction with Danielle? 

Who I am kidding, I know its gonna be Michelle.

Listen to Amber Carrington, she had some slayage performances(only two rough vocals that weren't even that bad) "Sad" is the performance of the season tbh. She's also someone who can do cross-over country very well, I was very disappointed that she didn't even make the Finale, but oh well.

I'll be honest. I don't care for any of Cassadee's performances other than over you and stupid boy.

Up until Hazel eyes, her performances are some of the worst of any winner. I'm not sure she even gets a chair turn in later seasons to be honest.

But I think Cassadee is a good reminder that the majority of singers that struggle when coming on this show are still very capable, even if we never end up seeing it on the show. For whatever reason, some contestants don't do well and it doesn't always have to do with ability. All you have to do is watch the contestants covers on their social media to see that.

Imagine if she was eliminated after her rendition of Hazel eyes? Most likely she'd have been forgotten, or talked about as having one of the pitchiest runs on the show

Anyways, not sure what flipped the switch for Cassadee, but sometimes one performance is all it takes to get you going.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hsamid said:

I'll be honest. I don't care for any of Cassadee's performances other than over you and stupid boy.

Up until Hazel eyes, her performances are some of the worst of any winner. I'm not sure she even gets a chair turn in later seasons to be honest.

But I think Cassadee is a good reminder that the majority of singers that struggle when coming on this show are still very capable, even if we never end up seeing it on the show. For whatever reason, some contestants don't do well and it doesn't always have to do with ability. All you have to do is watch the contestants covers on their social media to see that.

Imagine if she was eliminated after her rendition of Hazel eyes? Most likely she'd have been forgotten, or talked about as having one of the pitchiest runs on the show.

That’s fair. I’ve only watched a majority of her performances a couple of days ago so who knows what I’ll think of them when seeing them again a month from now. I really did end up liking “I’m With You” and “Cry” though.

Good point about every contestant being capable in some way. Even the people universally seen as “weak” contestants made it on the show for a reason and are more than capable of giving amazing performances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Interesting, I’m intrigued to see how much I feel like Danielle actually deserved her win. Besides Michelle, who else do you think should’ve been in contention that season? 

She deserved winning Season 4 in my opinion. I still can't get over with the high note she nailed on "A Little Bit Stronger", which I think was her best performance on the show. "Please Remember Me' is my second favorite. I also liked Michelle but I slightly preferred Danielle's voice/tone that season. 

Sarah Simmons and Judith Hill were also good contenders, and I was mad at them being eliminated. Holly Tucker's audition was probably one of my favorites, however, she was bussed really hard during the live shows which really sucks, TPTB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Interesting, I’m intrigued to see how much I feel like Danielle actually deserved her win. Besides Michelle, who else do you think should’ve been in contention that season? 

Ftr I wouldn’t say she didn’t deserve her win - she was very consistent and a hell of a singer. It’s more of a “Michelle was better in every way” for me (except vocals maybe, they are probably tied in that department)

In fact she’s probably the strongest teen vocalist that has ever audition. But S4 was STACKED, and in my completely biased opinion contestants like Amber, Sasha and especially Michelle ticked more boxes than Danielle did.

Edited by Daillon

14 hours ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

She deserved winning Season 4 in my opinion. I still can't get over with the high note she nailed on "A Little Bit Stronger", which I think was her best performance on the show. "Please Remember Me' is my second favorite. I also liked Michelle but I slightly preferred Danielle's voice/tone that season. 

These were amazing. I'd like to add "Who I Am" as well.

8 hours ago, QueenCami said:

no shade to Danielle, but you seriously mean this? as in vocalist and not singer?

I'd say Cam (If he counts) and Jaquie are top 2 if we strictly talk about vocals. Jaquie wasn't super consistent, but her vocals were insane. Cam was not only a great vocalist, but also a very consistent performer. I don't think he ever missed a note.

Danielle is probably 3rd. And IMO, she was even more consistent than Jaquie.

Hailey, Chevel, Koryn, and Carter are next in line. (Correct me if I'm missing someone)

We'll see if Ryley joins that list.

5 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

These were amazing. I'd like to add "Who I Am" as well.

I'd say Cam (If he counts) and Jaquie are top 2 if we strictly talk about vocals. Jaquie wasn't super consistent, but her vocals were insane. Cam was not only a great vocalist, but also a very consistent performer. I don't think he ever missed a note.

Danielle is probably 3rd. And IMO, she was even more consistent than Jaquie.

Hailey, Chevel, Koryn, and Carter are next in line. (Correct me if I'm missing someone)

We'll see if Ryley joins that list.

Mia Z if we're talking about vocal ability. Can probably go the highest out of all the teens.

Shalyah Fearing for power, even if she wasn't as consistent as the ones you mentioned.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, QueenCami said:

no shade to Danielle, but you seriously mean this? as in vocalist and not singer?

In terms of consistency, it’s hard to find anyone better (like Hamza said Cam and Jacquie were crazy good - I honestly completely forgot about Cam when making that statement)

This is me trying to be as unbiased as possible btw

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

I’m too busy rn, but I promise I will not abandon this thread!!!

Sidenote y’all can probably expect this thread to be updated in the spaces between airings of the show.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 10:59 AM, FloorWax said:

Sidenote y’all can probably expect this thread to be updated in the spaces between airings of the show.

If you need links to Danielle's S4 performances (competition and group numbers), I added them to her fan thread on this post. (You may have to use VPN on some of them though).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, season1 said:

If you need links to Danielle's S4 performances (competition and group numbers), I added them to her fan thread on this post. (You may have to use VPN on some of them though).

Thanks, but I have access to all of them on a YouTube compilation that may be unavailable in the US. 

Also, you guys can expect that Danielle review very soon 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Thanks, but I have access to all of them on a YouTube compilation that may be unavailable in the US. 

Also, you guys can expect that Danielle review very soon 👀

Yeah, for us non-us people, full journeys videos, including all promos, are available via "The Voice Global" or "Best of The Voice" Channels.

B0ZWNU5.jpg

Season 4: Danielle Bradbery

Coach: Blake Shelton

Auditions: Mean by Taylor Swift
I remembering hearing once from an IDF user that prior to coming on the Voice, Danielle had only ever sang under the kitchen table and had no previous performing experience. After watching her audition, I feel like that makes sense, as she does feel like an amateur, BUT an amateur with a wealth of raw talent. She looked surprisingly comfortable and genuinely happy to be on that stage, and while she didn’t do perfect vocally, I’d argue this is a very good first impression and it made me interested to see how she grows throughout the rest of her run.

Battles: Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae (w/ Caroline Glaser)
Yes! This was so good. Even just one round later, Danielle already looks and sounds much more confident than she did in her blind. She sings with such a full tone, which contrasted nicely with her battle partner’s airier voice. I have to say, I’d easily pick Danielle to win this match-up just because Caroline came off a little cursive to me, but the latter provided some great harmonies. Very, very nice!

Knockouts: Jesus, Take The Wheel by Carrie Underwood
Damn, this girl has a bigger voice than I expected. I will say though that I didn’t love this performance as much as I was expecting to, but it was in no way underwhelming. It’s probably just a matter of song choice and preference. Nonetheless, she obviously killed it, and definitely deserved to win over her opponent who was…something to say the least 😬.

Playoffs: Maybe It Was Memphis by Pam Tillis
Maybe it was Grace West auditioning with this song in the current season that turned me on to it, but I loved this song pick for Danielle. I loved how she got to showcase her effortless range without doing something power ballad-y like her KO. This is probably my favorite solo performance from her so far.

Top 12: Wasted by Carrie Underwood
I’m a little confused as to why they allowed her to sing a Carrie Underwood song again when she just performed one a couple rounds ago, but I’m willing to give her a pass because while several contestants come to this show and sing Carrie, most of the time, they can’t do her songs justice. Danielle is an exception to that. This was yet another good performance for her.

Top 10: Heads Carolina, Tails California by Jo Dee Messina
This was fun! What immediately stuck out to me about this performance is that Danielle was moving around much more than she did for her previous ones, but her vocals didn’t really suffer for it? In fact, she probably sounds the best she ever has here. I always appreciate a contestant who can impress even on upbeat songs and Danielle did just that. THIS is my favorite one so far.

Top 8: Grandpa (Tell Me 'Bout the Good Ol' Days) by The Judds
THAT WAS SO SWEET OMG. This felt like her most sincere performance thus far, and the gorgeous stage design only helped matters. The song choice was perfect for her and it really allowed her clear and smooth tone to shine. I would sound like a broken record if I kept mentioning how good her vocals are, but let’s just say that seven performances in, she has had no misses. And I know I just said that the previous performance was her best yet, but this was her best yet.

Top 6: Shake The Sugar Tree by Pam Tillis
This is Danielle’s second performance of a Pam Tillis song so far, and unfortunately I didn’t like it nearly as much as her first. As always, the vocals were great, but I don’t feel like she showed anything new that she hasn’t in previous rounds. At this point, I expect her to take a little more risks, but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it I guess?

Top 6: A Little Bit Stronger by Sara Evans
Not much to say about this one, just that it’s another solid showing from Danielle, and that the glory note at the end was quite…. well, glorious.

Semifinals: Please Remember Me by Rodney Crowell
I’m kind of at the point in this review where I begin to get a little lost for words because these performances are starting to blend together. This was a fine performance, but I wasn’t really moved one way or the other. I feel like at this point Danielle has had enough standout performances that her win is basically secured, so I kinda hoped they would push her a little bit out of her comfort zone.

Semifinals: Who I Am by Jessica Andrews
It may be a case of the lyrics being more age appropriate than usual for her, but this is the most I’ve felt moved by a Danielle performance since “Grandpa”. For a change, I believed every word that she sang and I didn’t even mind that it wasn’t anything new for her. And the hug with her parents at the end? C’mon, that’s gotta be cheating :haha:. I’m glad to finally say this again… I thought that was GREAT.

Finals: Timber, I’m Falling In Love by Patty Loveless
Hmm. Couldn’t they have picked a more… appropriate song choice for Danielle and her coach to duet on? I feel like a performance from them had the potential to be really sweet, but this just ended up a little awkward to watch.

Finals: Maybe It Was Memphis by Pam Tillis
Just like with Cassadee Pope’s reprise of “Over You”, I don’t think Danielle was able to recapture the magic of her first performance of this song. I think what tends to happen with these repeat performances is that the contestants go on autopilot mode. I dare to say this was her least assured vocal since her audition.

Finals: Born To Fly by Sara Evans
Aww, this was a very nice performance to end her run on. The whole thing felt like the end credits song that plays as you exit the cinema after watching a sappy but sweet romantic comedy. While this is the second time she’s covered Sara Evans, this performance sounded fresher than her first, and was a satisfying end to an astonishingly consistent run.

Overall:

Just in terms of sheer consistency, there aren’t many The Voice winners who have Danielle beat. Even though she wasn’t the strongest right out of the gate, she later on proved week after week that she was a powerful country vocalist who wasn’t just “good for her age”. Prior to watching her run in full, I had no idea that she had the ability to sing with such range and such power. On top of that, she had a beautiful tone that was as clear as a bell and unexpectedly mature-sounding.

However, while consistency is one of Danielle’s biggest assets, it is also one of her biggest detractors in my eyes. Part of why Danielle was so consistent is that she almost never had to sing something outside of her comfort zone, or make any of the songs she covered her own. She proved she could sing just as well outside of country in her battle, so I wish she took a chance with a pop song every now and then. Nonetheless, Danielle was able to pull off multiple standout performances throughout her run and its hard to deny that the kid hardly ever faltered. For what she was, she was a very deserving winner, despite not being the flashiest or most versatile in the bunch.

Top 3 Performances:
1. Who I Am
2. Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout the Good Ol’ Days)
3. Heads Carolina, Tails California

Winners' Ranking (so far):

1. Danielle Bradbery

2. Cassadee Pope

3. Javier Colon

4. Jermaine Paul

5. ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

Can't wait to see your reaction on Tessanne's performances. :clap:

Oh I am excited to watch her run as well

Sidenote: can someone make a shortlist of essential Season 5 performances? There seems to be A LOT of talent that season.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Oh I am excited to watch her run as well

Sidenote: can someone make a shortlist of essential Season 5 performances? There seems to be A LOT of talent that season.

Going with the non-Tessanne picks (and bolding the ones I’d consider must-see viewing for anyone who says The Voice has always been trash):

Matthew Schuler - Cough Syrup

Holly Henry - The Scientist

Preston Pohl - Electric Feel

Amber Nicole vs. Timyra-Joi - Listen

James Wolpert vs. Will Champlin - Radioactive

Kat Robichaud - You Oughta Know

Cole Vosbury - Let Her Go

Jacquie Lee - Stompa

Caroline Pennell - The Way I Am

Matthew Schuler - Cosmic Love

Will Champlin - When I Was Your Man

James Wolpert - A Case of You

Jacquie Lee - I Put a Spell On You

Matthew Schuler - Hallelujah

Jacquie Lee - Angel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Going with the non-Tessanne picks (and bolding the ones I’d consider must-see viewing for anyone who says The Voice has always been trash):

Matthew Schuler - Cough Syrup

Holly Henry - The Scientist

Preston Pohl - Electric Feel

Amber Nicole vs. Timyra-Joi - Listen

James Wolpert vs. Will Champlin - Radioactive

Kat Robichaud - You Oughta Know

Cole Vosbury - Let Her Go

Jacquie Lee - Stompa

Caroline Pennell - The Way I Am

Matthew Schuler - Cosmic Love

Will Champlin - When I Was Your Man

James Wolpert - A Case of You

Jacquie Lee - I Put a Spell On You

Matthew Schuler - Hallelujah

Jacquie Lee - Angel

THANK YOU. I already love a couple of those performances like Cough Syrup and You Oughta Know but I can’t wait to watch the rest. 🙂