FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

Great top 2, I feel like those performances are underrated because they're not the huge vocal moments but they arguably connected the most and definitely helped her win. I thought Many Rivers was kinda underrated too. Looking at it now it's really hard to pick a best one, I feel like at least half of those performances are essential.

Re: the KOs, Ashley's Hey Soul Sister may have been a bus but I thought she deserved a steal at least. She did what she could with it, I also remember her BA was really good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

What Republic Records did to Tessanne was a crime! She could have literally sold an album to every person in Jamaica, never mind, do well here in the US, and they completely screwed up her album release.

That was the signal that they had given up on promoting the Voice winners.

That's quite sad. I myself haven't heard the album but Chin definitely had the talent to be a star. She at least seems to be doing pretty well for herself right now and has a beautiful family.

2 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I feel like at least half of those performances are essential.

Exactly how I felt when trying to choose a top 3 lol. Her track record is insaneeeee. It all just came down to which performances moved me the most and they happened to be Redemption Song and Underneath It All.

Edited by FloorWax

This should be no surprise, but Tessanne was my favorite winner at this point. I really like how she showcased a variety of styles, such as pop, reggae and R&B during her run. Her Blind Audition was my favorite audition from a female contestant at that point, and she had a lot of great performances. I also really enjoyed her Battle and Knockout performances. She experimented a lot with her Live show performances, and I really like that she was able to do well with song choices that wouldn’t work for most contestants. Her Semifinal performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water is when her win became clear, and I Have Nothing proved that. Those are probably my two favorite vocal performances from her. Season 5 was my favorite season, and Tessanne’s victory was a great way to finish the season. I am glad that there was a point in the show’s history where an artist like Tessanne was able to win the show. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

This should be no surprise, but Tessanne was my favorite winner at this point. I really like how she showcased a variety of styles, such as pop, reggae and R&B during her run. Her Blind Audition was my favorite audition from a female contestant at that point, and she had a lot of great performances. I also really enjoyed her Battle and Knockout performances. She experimented a lot with her Live show performances, and I really like that she was able to do well with song choices that wouldn’t work for most contestants. Her Semifinal performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water is when her win became clear, and I Have Nothing proved that. Those are probably my two favorite vocal performances from her. Season 5 was my favorite season, and Tessanne’s victory was a great way to finish the season. I am glad that there was a point in the show’s history where an artist like Tessanne was able to win the show. 

I may be wrong but I think Tessanne and Alisan are the only big-voiced female contestants to win in 22 seasons. That's a little unfortunate.

• Sad 2

Tessanne had a fantastic run and so far she's my favorite winner out of the first 5, and she's pretty high as a whole. 

The "Next to Me" battle was phenomenal, can't believe Donna didnt get a steal.

"Bridge over Trouble Water" settled her win. Spectacular.

The Let it Be duet with the reggae switch in the middle was pretty good.

21 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

That's quite sad. I myself haven't heard the album but Chin definitely had the talent to be a star. She at least seems to be doing pretty well for herself right now and has a beautiful family.

They released the album with zero, and I mean zero, promotion while Tessanne was out on the Voice Live summer tour (they actually gave the S5 and 6 casts a tour).

No one knew the album was coming. And there were NO physicals, which still sold well back then.

You know how we joke about the interns? A summer intern at RR could have come up with a better release strategy.

Edited by AngelaKD
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I may be wrong but I think Tessanne and Alisan are the only big-voiced female contestants to win in 22 seasons. That's a little unfortunate.

I agree. I wish there were a few more of them. 

Just few things you might need to know.

- Tessanne said, even tho people might expect that her fav performances would be the big vocal ones, but she personally liked "Many Rivers To Cross," "Underneath It All," and "Redemption Song" the most.

- She was suffering from sinus infection when she performed "If I Were Your Woman." It's just a testament of her outstanding vocals that despite her suffering from infection, she still nailed that performance. I'd give it an A. Those last few moments were insane. 

- She also said somewhere that even tho she's reggage, but she didn't want the producers/coaches to fit her in a box. She wanted to show them that she's a versatile singer, that's the reason she picked "Try" as her audition song.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

Just few things you might need to know.

- Tessanne said, even tho people might expect that her fav performances would be the big vocal ones, but she personally liked "Many Rivers To Cross," "Underneath It All," and "Redemption Song" the most.

- She was suffering from sinus infection when she performed "If I Were Your Woman." It's just a testament of her outstanding vocals that despite her suffering from infection, she still nailed that performance. I'd give it an A. Those last few moments were insane. 

- She also said somewhere that even tho she's reggage, but she didn't want the producers/coaches to fit her in a box. She wanted to show them that she's a versatile singer, that's the reason she picked "Try" as her audition song.

- Awesome! That makes sense because those are the three where she looked the most connected.

- Dang, I never would have guessed based on the performance. Her voice is out of this world.

- I see! Given where she's from and how she speaks, it would have been SO easy for producers to sell her as "the reggae singer from Jamaica", but as she proved, she's way more than that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

They released the album with zero, and I mean zero, promotion while Tessanne was out on the Voice Live summer tour (they actually gave the S5 and 6 casts a tour).

No one knew the album was coming. And there were NO physicals, which still sold well back then.

You know how we joke about the interns? A summer intern at RR could have come up with a better release strategy.

Damn. They really didn't give a s***. I wonder if they EVER tried.

I also agree with the statement that she's as close as you can get to Flawless. One of my fav moments from this show is the crowd reaction after "Bridge Over Troubled Water," it was wild out there. Adam nailed it when he said, "That's probably The Most Flawless and Graceful Performance I've ever heard on this show." I 100% agree with him.

Watch it Here: Crowd Reaction + Judges comments [Time Stamp: 40:56]

• istersay changed the title to FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 5 Posted)

I didn't expect you to enjoy Tessannee as much as you did since from what I've seen you don't usually gravitate towards powerhouses? (Idk might be wrong)

Curious how you like Tessannee compared to other powerhouses on the show since she doesn't have the biggest range or most powerful voice of them all but her run is probably the most flawless one in terms of vocal consistency (along with Jordan) Both sung at a really high level technically while never missing a note.

8 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I didn't expect you to enjoy Tessannee as much as you did since from what I've seen you don't usually gravitate towards powerhouses? (Idk might be wrong)

Curious how you like Tessannee compared to other powerhouses on the show since she doesn't have the biggest range or most powerful voice of them all but her run is probably the most flawless one in terms of vocal consistency (along with Jordan) Both sung at a really high level technically while never missing a note.

In recent seasons, yeah, I haven't been the biggest fan of them, but I do support them from time to time. I was Team Kyla and Team Rose all the way for Season 14 and Season 17 lives respectively.

I feel like Tessanne is much different from your usual powerhouse though. Her song choices and singing style always leaned more towards pop than soul or RnB. She also performed and presented herself like a rock singer at times, kinda like Amanda Brown. And as I mentioned, her consistency and versatility is insane.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 2

Aaaaah I'm glad you enjoyed Tessanne! She was on the second season that I watched in full, and she instantly became my favorite after her audition! 

Even till now, her performances have aged well after countless seasons had passed, she's definitely one of my fave winners overall! 

7 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

interesting that you talk about passion over perfection bc i always thought the opposite with her. her voice felt too smooth too perfect and i couldn’t rly enjoy her performances as much

I thought the way she performed definitely exuded passion. She didn’t growl or wail or do cool vocal tricks like that, but I don’t think she needed to do that to show she meant what she was singing. I think we just have different preferences with regards to “clean” powerhouses vs the ones like Dana Monique so let’s just agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, QueenCami said:

interesting that you talk about passion over perfection bc i always thought the opposite with her. her voice felt too smooth too perfect and i couldn’t rly enjoy her performances as much

Honestly, that's how I feel about Jordan smith's voice journey looking back, with the exception of his religious performances. (not complaining though)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FloorWax said:

In recent seasons, yeah, I haven't been the biggest fan of them, but I do support them from time to time. I was Team Kyla and Team Rose all the way for Season 14 and Season 17 lives respectively.

6 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I feel like Tessanne is much different from your usual powerhouse though. Her song choices and singing style always leaned more towards pop than soul or RnB. She also performed and presented herself like a rock singer at times, kinda like Amanda Brown. And as I mentioned, her consistency and versatility is insane.

Thats true, I also feel like a lot of pop powerhouse singers these days don't make it far. Rizzi Myers, kelsie watts, Lindsay Joan, etc. 

Tessanee has the reggae side to her powerhouse style that also hasn't been replicated since. It's interesting how she's 1 of only 2 powerhouse female singers. I didn't follow her Season live so curious what set her apart? It's not just vocal consistency either because we've had powerhouses almost as good in that regard.

Anyways, didn't know you really liked Kyla! Rose makes sense  to me since she's versatile, which is something I think you value a lot?

8 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Thats true, I also feel like a lot of pop powerhouse singers these days don't make it far. Rizzi Myers, kelsie watts, Lindsay Joan, etc. 

Anyways, didn't know you really liked Kyla! Rose makes sense  to me since she's versatile, which is something I think you value a lot?

Yeah I’ve always wanted a pop powerhouse contestant but they almost always get eliminated in the pre-lives for whatever reason. Maybe that’s part of why I ended up enjoying Tessanne’s run so much.

You Don’t Own Me is one of my favorite KOs ever, I replayed that one so many times! She has some of the most insane high notes I’ve ever heard and unlike some others, I don’t find hers’ too harsh on the ears. Her lower register is amazing as well, so full.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Honestly, that's how I feel about Jordan smith's voice journey looking back, with the exception of his religious performances. (not complaining though)

I can see why anyone would think that.

Aside from GITFF/Hallelujah/MDYK?, I think he sang Halo with a lot of emotion and passion as well. That's one of my favs from him.

14 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

So, as will be customary from this point, would anyone be so kind as to list some essential Season 6 performances?

Christina Grimmie - Hold On, We're Going Home