Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

VOTE TO ADVANCE ONE

Roxanne - Arizona Zervas - 2 (Corey, Erik)

Ritmo (Bad Boys for Life) - Black Eyed Peas and J Balvin

My Oh My - Camila Cabello featuring DaBaby - 6 (Chris, QC, Wallace, Gigi, Diana, Akshar)

Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake featuring Lil Durk

Savage Love (Laxed – Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685 and Jason Derulo

Only Human - Jonas Brothers

Come & Go - Juice Wrld and Marshmello

Heartless - The Weeknd - 2 (Nico, Rei)

VOTE TO ADVANCE ONE

Roxanne - Arizona Zervas - 2 (Corey, Erik)

Ritmo (Bad Boys for Life) - Black Eyed Peas and J Balvin

My Oh My - Camila Cabello featuring DaBaby - 6 (Chris, QC, Wallace, Gigi, Diana, Akshar)

Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake featuring Lil Durk

Savage Love (Laxed – Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685 and Jason Derulo

Only Human - Jonas Brothers

Come & Go - Juice Wrld and Marshmello

Heartless - The Weeknd - 3 (Nico, Rei, Alex)

TOP 20 OF 2020

Mood - 24kGoldn featuring Iann Dior

Bad Guy - Billie Eilish

Dynamite - BTS

My Oh My - Camila Cabello featuring DaBaby

WAP - Cardi B featuring Megan Thee Stallion

I Hope You're Happy Now - Carly Pearce and Lee Brice

Say So - Doja Cat

Break My Heart - Dua Lipa

Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa

I Hope - Gabby Barrett featuring Charlie Puth

You Should Be Sad - Halsey

Adore You - Harry Styles

Rain on Me - Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande

Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi

Good as Hell - Lizzo

Die from a Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae

The Bones - Maren Morris

Circles - Post Malone

Lose You to Love Me - Selena Gomez

Blinding Lights - The Weeknd

Rankers can now send me their rankings. Write-ups aren't required, but comments are appreciated. The deadline for rankings is by the end of the day Tuesday, February 7th.

@jarmon @Alex95 @*Chris @Qorey @FrogLenzen @*Diana @erik g @taylorkat @*Lily @NGM @goofycilla90 @QueenCami @QueenKalie @.Rei @rdhaley96 @1234567890 @*Wallace

• Like 1

20. MY OH MY – CAMILA CABELLO FEAT. DaBABY

exmgxyzxqaid_qg-1_0.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QC: 3

ERIK: 6

QK: 8

DEREK: 10

DIANA: 11

GIGI: 12

WALLACE: 12

COREY: 13

ALEX: 15

CHRIS: 16

RICHARD: 17

VICTORIA: 17

LILY: 18

NICO: 18

STEVEN: 18

AKSHAR: 19

PRISCILLA: 20

REI: 20

QC

(8.75/10) Really enjoy Camila on here, but I don't think DaBaby was necessary lol. The song is very catchy and there's even a few times that I think Camila's vocals are pretty impressive which is cool.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611db41c3c655df56d13633d929100e7fb42a5de787&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I do love "My Oh My" by Camila Cabello featuring DaBaby and I'm glad that this was able to make it through to the Top 20! I think this is a really cute and fun song. I really love the hypnotic and mysterious beat of the song, at the start of it. I also love how Camila sings the chorus of the song too.

They say he likes a good time
(My oh my)
He comes alive at midnight
(Every night)
My mama doesn't trust him
(My oh my)
He's only here for one thing but
(So am I)

Of the chorus, I especially love the part where she sings My mama doesn't trust him for some reason. I don't know why but the way she sings it kinda cracks me up but I just love it. :haha: I enjoy how Camila sings the verses of the song too. But I also love the new hard hitting beat that comes in at that part too.

He was onto me
One look and I couldn't breathe
Yeah, I said if he kissed me
I might let it happen

Then I also love the pre-chorus where she sings:

I swear on my life that I've been a good girl
Tonight I don't want to be her

:giggle:

Then DaBaby has a fun rap verse on his part of the song. Some of my favorite parts from his verse are where he raps:

Look, I'm the type to make her turn on her daddy
DaBaby make her forget what she learned from her daddy
I don't be trippin' on lil' shawty, I let her do whatever she please
I don't be kissin' on lil' shawty, she don't be kissin' on me either 

That girl know what she want, she make me take it off when she see me (Let's go) 

I had to say, "No disrespect, gotta do it safe or you can keep it"
Pop star, I'm fresh up out the trap and I'm goin' Bieber

Then I also love the bridge of the song where Camila sings:

My my my my my oh my
My mama doesn't trust you baby
My my my my my oh my
And my daddy doesn't know you, no
My, my, my, my, my oh my (Oh my, my, my, my oh my)
My, my, my, my, my oh my (My, my, ooh)

"My Oh My" is a really fun and cute song. It's kinda a song that I forgot how much I loved because I haven't really heard it in awhile but it's fun! Also the music video is reallly fun and hahaha I bet Camila has so much fun filming these dramatic movie esque videos. :haha: 

COREY

A mid-tempo song with good story telling.

RICHARD

Parts of this I like, others not as much. Overall, it’s just sort of there for me. Not my favorite song from her.

STEVEN

I don't think I ever heard this song before. I wasn't impressed after a first listen.

19. MOOD – 24KGOLDN FEAT. IANN DIOR

ec359c594229814c28cb116dddc696d8.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 5

NICO: 8

QC: 8

COREY: 9

ALEX: 10

ERIK: 10

WALLACE: 11

QK: 12

PRISCILLA: 13

LILY: 14

STEVEN: 14

REI: 17

VICTORIA: 18

DIANA: 19

RICHARD: 19

AKSHAR: 20

CHRIS: 20

GIGI: 20

QC

(8.25/10) Very catchy in some parts, but I wasn't a big fan of a good chunk of the lyrics.

COREY

The tempo is rather slow, but it has a strange quality that keeps you engaged.

WALLACE

why-you-always-in-a-mood-iann-dior.gif

Oooh I love "Mood" by 24kGoldn featuring Iann Dior but I really was not expecting this song to make it through to the finals.... but no complaints from me about that. :haha: "Mood" is such a jam and it's sooo super catchy!

Why you always in a mood?
'round, actin' brand new
I ain't tryna tell you what to do
But try to play it cool
Baby, I ain't playing by your rules
Everything look better with a view

:bobo:

The "Why you always in a mood?" was a line that was stuck in my mind/head for like FOREVER. :dead: That line just always stuck with me for some reason. :haha: Ooh and I don't know why but the sound of the chorus kinda reminds me of a Nelly song? I don't know if I'm weird for thinking that but I just do. :haha: Anyway I do love the first half of the first verse where Iann dior sings.

I could never get attached
When I start to feel, I unattach
Somehow I always end up feeling bad
Baby, I am not your dad, it's not all you want from me
I just want your company

Then I love the pre-chorus part, which Iann dior also sings, that goes: 

We play games of love to avoid the depression
We've been here before
And I won't be your victim

I believe it's 24kGoldn that raps on the second verse of the song. I really like his part especially the part where he raps:

So why you tryin' to fake your love on the regular
When you could be blowin' up just like my cellular
I won't ever let a shorty go and set me up 

I'm talking slick back, kick back, gang sippin' forties
You keep playing, not another day with you shorty

Oh wow, for some reason after re-listening to this now, I forgot how short the song was. I was wanting to hear more of it. :dead: Anywho, "Mood" is a fun jam and I do love it. I highly doubt it will rank too well and am thinking it will probably show up in the first set but if it does, at least it made it to the finals. :haha:

STEVEN

I didn't recognize the song by the title and artists, but it actually sounds familiar. The song is okay. It's not a favorite of mine in this Top 20, but it's not one of the worst ones either.

RICHARD

Mediocre.

18. DYNAMITE – BTS

df009633e4702b3838c793c7fd97adf3.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 7

DEREK: 8

STEVEN: 8

LILY: 9

WALLACE: 9

ERIK: 12

REI: 12

RICHARD: 12

DIANA: 13

CHRIS: 14

GIGI: 14

NICO: 15

AKSHAR: 16

ALEX: 16

QC: 16

PRISCILLA: 18

QK: 18

VICTORIA: 20

COREY

This is the lowest song on my list that I consider a favorite. How did Korea suddenly become a great source of pop music?

STEVEN

I'm not familiar with most of BTS's discography, but I do like this song whenever I hear it. It's very catchy with a happy and carefree vibe to it. But from the BTS songs I have heard, I think "Butter" is my favorite of theirs.

WALLACE

bts-dynamite.gif

I'm really glad and pleasantly surprised with "Dynamite" by BTS making it through to the finals here! I was thinking this song was going to get cut in the cuts round but glad it didn't. :haha: I know BTS.... seems to be viewed in a polarizing way or so? I liked or really liked a number of their songs before this song. But "Dynamite" was the first song of theirs that I really loved. To this day, this is still my favorite song from BTS. This is such a fun and catchy jam! And it's quite addicting to listen to, at least it is to me. :giggle: But yeah, "Dynamite" is so catchy, fun and I just love the disco flavored feel of this song. The song starts off in a fun way right at the start with the a capella opening that goes:

'Cause, ah-ah, I'm in the stars tonight
So watch me bring the fire and set the night alight

The opening verse is good but I love how the song pumps up to another level on the pre-chorus section that goes: 

This is getting heavy
Can you hear the bass boom? I'm ready
Life is sweet as honey
Yeah, this beat cha ching like money
Disco overload, I'm into that, I'm good to go
I'm diamond, you know I glow up
Hey, so let's go

Yeah some of the lyrics may be a bit silly here and there but meh, I don't care because I'm having a good time jamming along to this song! :bobo: I'll skip a little forward to the second verse but the last line of that part kinda cracks me up. Ladies and gentlemen, I got the medicine, so you should keep ya eyes on the ball, huh. :giggle:

Anyway, onto the chorus.... that part is sooo fun and super catchy! And it just has such a great feel good vibe to it!

'Cause, ah-ah, I'm in the stars tonight
So watch me bring the fire and set the night alight
Shining through the city with a little funk and soul
So I'ma light it up like dynamite, whoa

Then I don't know if the next part after the second verse is the bridge or what? I think it is, but I love that part and that is sooo fun too! :bobo:

Dy-na-na-na, na-na, na-na-na, na-na, life is dynamite
Dy-na-na-na, na-na, na-na-na, na-na, life is dynamite
Shining through the city with a little funk and soul
So I'ma light it up like dynamite, whoa

Dy-na-na-na, na-na, na-na, eh
Light it up, dynamite

Then the rest of the song just continues on being really fun and catchy! :bobo: "Dynamite" is really such a fun song with a really fun video to it. It's nice that BTS was able to get a really big hit with this song. I definitely expect this song to have a mix of polarizing rankings all around - with some high and some low rankings. I think and hope it can do well enough to escape the first set, but I'm not sure how well it will do after that. But I'm hoping it can surprise me.

RICHARD

Nonsensical lyrics but good production and composition. This definitely seems like it was pretty heavily inspired by Bruno Mars (“Uptown Funk,” “24K Magic”), and while it doesn’t pull those vibes off as well as Bruno does, it’s still a pretty solid and hooky song.

QC

(7.5/10) This song is very catchy. I enjoyed listening to it, but I wouldn't seek it out to listen to, I think.

17. YOU SHOULD BE SAD – HALSEY

8741a6cd125fe3827050fbf87bcbf7f4.676x676x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 2

QC: 7

QK: 9

AKSHAR: 10

COREY: 10

LILY: 10

ALEX: 11

NICO: 12

CHRIS: 13

RICHARD: 14

GIGI: 15

DIANA: 16

PRISCILLA: 16

VICTORIA: 16

ERIK: 17

STEVEN: 17

WALLACE: 18

REI: 19

QC

(8.5/10) I didn't expect to like this, but it was nice. Also, based on the name of the song, I expected it to be a slow, soft, ballad type song, but instead it was more upbeat and catchy which was a fun surprise.

COREY

Although this song is chaotic and unmemorable, the tempo is fast enough to give it an edge over half the songs on this list.

NICO

Probably her best solo? (still think her best ever is a random collab with MGK of all people tho)

CHRIS

Not Halsey biggest fan but this is one of their best.

RICHARD

Halsey always seems to have that one song that makes it every year, and her songs never really stand out much to me. This one does a little more so, coming across as angrier and registering more emotionally. Overall, though, it’s still pretty middling in this group for me.

STEVEN

Maybe this is a song that could grow on me with more listens, but I didn't care for it much after listening to it now. 

WALLACE

you-should-be-sad-halsey.gif

"You Should Be Sad" isn't really one of my favorite songs from Halsey but I do still like it. I think this was one of those songs I was kinda really into for awhile but then got over it quickly and then forgot about it? :dead: I do like how the song kinda has a country flair to it. I do like how she sings some of the song faster in the verses. I do really like the pre-chorus and all of the attitude she provides her vocals with where she sings:

No, you're not half the man you think that you are
And you can't fill the hole inside of you with money, drugs and cars
I'm so glad I never ever had a baby with you
'Cause you can't love nothing unless there's something in it for you

I also really like the chorus where she sings:

Oh, I feel so sorry
I feel so sad
I tried to help you
It just made you mad
And I had no warning
About who you are
I'm just glad I made it out
Without breaking down
And then ran so far
That you would never ever touch me again
Won't see your alligator tears
'Cause, no, I've had enough of them

I don't really have any particular standout parts in the verses. But after re-listening to this, I do have a little more of an appreciation for this. But sadly, this is as high as I can put it as I prefer the other 17 songs I ranked higher. I have no idea how this song will rank here. Maybe this can surprise me like how "Without Me" ranking surprised me?

20. Oooh I had a feeling "My Oh My" was going to be Camilla's worst performing song here but wow I was not expecting this to come in last. Oh yikes there. :dead: I know it's not one of her biggest standouts and I preferred her other songs that made the finals but I do still really like this and think it's fun.

19. I was kindaaa expecting "Mood" to come in last, so of the two songs in danger of that, I'm pleased that this was able to not be last? :haha: But this is a fun jam and I do love it nonetheless. I get that it's not for everyone though.

18. Aww I wasn't expecting "Dynamite" to do too well but I was hoping it could have avoided the first set but guess not. Oh well. Ooh wow it's really interesting seeing this song with no Top 6 rankings from any of us - with 7th being the highest ranking. :huh: I agree with some of Steven's comments though I do prefer this one over "Butter." Still a fun song.

17. Ahh I'm fine with "You Should Be Sad" placement as this was one of my lesser favorites here, though I do like it. Hmmm I can't think of or know if I heard her collabo with MGK but I'm kinda interested in checking that out regarding Nico's comment. :haha:

A third of the #20s revealed already but no #1s show up on the first set. 😮 

#1s revealed (0):
#1s remaining (18): Akshar, Alex, Chris, Corey, Derek, Diana, Erik, Gigi, Lily, Nico, Priscilla, QK, QueenCami, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (6): Priscilla, Rei, Akshar, Chris, Gigi, Victoria
#20s remaining (12): Alex, Corey, Derek, Diana, Erik, Lily, Nico, QK, QueenCami, Richard, Steven, Wallace