Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

8. SAY SO – DOJA CAT

017e4cf0de73babce6fe479219b08fe7.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 1

LILY: 3

WALLACE: 3

ALEX: 5

GIGI: 5

PRISCILLA: 5

VICTORIA: 5

DEREK: 6

RICHARD: 6

AKSHAR: 8

NICO: 9

QK: 13

CHRIS: 15

REI: 15

STEVEN: 16

QC: 17

DIANA: 18

ERIK: 18

COREY

This is my least favorite #1 that I have ever ranked, but I can't fault any cuts that were made, since it was my favorite of the entire 100. All the good songs this year seem to be hiding in the lower reaches of the Hot 100 or on one of the other charts.

WALLACE

8ee02c21fd35c88c80500f9807130de340ba1272.gif

"Say So" was the song that introduced me to Doja Cat in 2020, so I would say and think that was a great first impression I had from her. I really love the feel and vibe of this song so much. It has like a great mix of disco, pop, R&B, funk, hip-hop all in one track! I love how she starts off the song with a joyous and fun chorus at the start of the song. :wub:  She sounds so angelic and pretty on that part of the song.

Day to night to morning, keep with me in the moment
I'd let you had I known it, why don't you say so?
Didn't even notice, no punches left to roll with
You got to keep me focused. You want it? Say so
Day to night to morning, keep with me in the moment
I'd let you had I known it, why don't you say so?
Didn't even notice, no punches left to roll with
You got to keep me focused. You want it? Say so

:bobo: I especially love those "why don't you say so?" and "You want it? Say so" parts Doja sings there. :wub: The first verse is really cute and a lot of fun. I especially love the parts where she sings!

It's been a long time since you fell in love 

'Cause luckily I'm good at reading
I wouldn't bug him, but he won't stop cheesin'
And we can dance all day around it
If you frontin', I'll be bouncing
If you want it, scream it, shout it, babe

As much as I love the first verse of the song, I absolutely love and AM HERE for that second verse. When I first heard this song, I remember being so shook hearing Doja rapping that verse because it was so unexpected and has a completely different sound from the rest of the song! :dead: I love Doja's rapping style and she kills it here. :bobo: I especially love the start and latter part of that verse where she raps:

Let me check my chest, my breath right quick (Ha)
He ain't never seen it in a dress like this (Ah)
He ain't never even been impressed like this
Prolly why I got him quiet on the set like zip
Like it, love it, need it, bad
Take it, own it, steal it, fast 

All of them hating I have you with me
All of my saying you mad committed
Realer than anybody you had, and pretty
All of that body-ody

SLAY DOJA! :bobo: Then I love how Doja sings the rest of the song and continues on bring all of the fun with the rest of the song. :bobo: The music video is also really fun and cute. Lol I love the Disco dancing they do towards the end of it. :haha: "Say So" is an absolute fire jam and I'm so glad that this made it through to the Final 20 as it is one of my favorite songs of 2020! :wub: I was happy seeing this song getting lots of votes in the voting round, so I'm hopeful this can do well and rank high, or at least I hope so. Hoping this can make it to the Top 8 and any higher would be an extra bonus! :wub: 

RICHARD

Very solid pop song. I love the production, the composition, the harmonies in the chorus. It’s a very chill, almost summery listen. This just makes me want to lounge by the pool and soak up the sun. Loses some points for me with the rap, as it gets a little more TMI than I’d like.

NICO

Here bc this version lives rent free in my head

STEVEN

I wasn't familiar with this song before. And after listening to it now...Yeah, I don't like this at all. I find her voice here to be quite annoying. This isn't a song I'd want to listen to again.

QC

(6.5/10) The song is a little bit repetitive to me, but I thought the rap part was really nice (especially since it was such a big change of pace from the rest of the song). I think if I hadn't heard this song so many times before, I would rate it higher.

7. THE BONES – MAREN MORRIS

fb61679d2ff300c72755d52421b0e6f7.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

DIANA: 1

AKSHAR: 3

ERIK: 3

QK: 3

VICTORIA: 4

STEVEN: 5

DEREK: 7

QC: 9

GIGI: 10

PRISCILLA: 12

LILY: 13

COREY: 14

NICO: 14

WALLACE: 14

REI: 16

ALEX: 17

RICHARD: 18

STEVEN

This is my favorite Maren Morris song, at least from what I've heard. I'm not too familiar with her discography, but this one stands out more than her other songs (at least for me).

QC

(8.25/10) This is a nice song. I think that Katie Rae on The Voice did a cooler rendition of the song, though.

COREY

A well-crafted song with good lyrics, but the tempo is too moderate to make it a great listen.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114035d09c9457b678eccda268b5ac00bcf40a5608&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

While I was really sad to see "The Middle" miss out making the Top 20 for 2018's list, I am glad that "The Bones" was able to make it through to the finals. "The Bones" is a really gorgeous song and stands out as one of my favorite songs from Maren Morris. ❤️ I do really enjoy the lowkey mellow of this song. Maren sings the opening verse beautifully, though she sings the whole song beautifully. But I like how she takes her time with each line she sings. 

We're in the homestretch of the hard times
We took a hard left, but we're alright

But I do really love how she sings the chorus of the song and I think it's really beautiful.

When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
Let it rain 'cause you and I remain the same
When there ain't a crack in the foundation
Baby, I know any storm we're facing
Will blow right over while we stay put
The house don't fall when the bones are good

I like how the tempo picks up on the second verse of the song. Then of that part, I especially love the parts where she sings: 

Call it dumb luck, but baby, you and I
Can't even mess it up 

No, it don't always go the way we planned it
But the 

She kinda changes up her singing style there but it's all really cool sounding to me. But then from the bridge of the song, I love how she sings: Oh, the glass, oh, the glass could shatter and Paint could peel, the glass, the glass could shatter (Yeah)

Then Maren kills it with some nice vocal ad-libs towards the end and builds the song up nicely! :yes: I feel like "The Bones" as the potential of doing really well here. I feel like this can make it to the Top 10 for sure, possibly even the Top 8 but not sure how much further it can go from there. I do feel confident that this will be the highest ranked country song here. I wouldn't mind that achieving that title, even if I do prefer another country song over this one.

RICHARD

This one’s never really done much for me. I just find it kind of forgettable and tepid.

6. BAD GUY – BILLIE EILISH

e8ce8fb738270059e1aa510ad2c1cead.482x482x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

DEREK: 3

REI: 3

RICHARD: 3

COREY: 4

NICO: 5

WALLACE: 5

VICTORIA: 6

DIANA: 7

PRISCILLA: 8

GIGI: 9

LILY: 11

QK: 11

AKSHAR: 15

STEVEN: 15

CHRIS: 18

QC: 18

ERIK: 19

ALEX

Billie completely embarrassing all the other artists two years in a row.

RICHARD

Billie’s style was pretty revolutionary at the time this was released. Whispery vocals, minimal production, harmonies galore. All of this is on full display here, which for me makes a really intriguing listen. I’m not necessarily in love with the last part of the song, but everything else works really well for me, hence the high spot.

COREY

I hate every single song I've ever heard by Billie Eilish, but this is the one exception. The creepy whispery voice and understated beat are so off putting that it took more than two dozen listens before I realized how much I like the song.

WALLACE

bad-guy-billie-eilish.gif

Regarding Billie Eilish, I kinda feel like Switzerland regarding her as I'm not one of her biggest fans but also not one of her biggest non-fans/naysayers, per se. :haha: But I do absolutely love "bad guy" and always thought of this as my favorite song of hers, so I'm really glad to see this making it through to the finals. If I were to be technical, this is more of a 2019 song for me so I maybe would have preferred it on the 2019 list but regardless I'm happy this made it here. :haha: I love the dark, haunting and upbeat music producition of this song. It goes so well with Billie's haunting vocals. It's quite different from Billie's slower songs but this has such a cool & unique sound, which really works for her. I love how Billie sings those verses with that hard hitting beat to it! :bobo: I don't understand a lot of what she's singing there but I love the sound of it. :haha: But I do reallly love the pre-chorus, where the song goes up to another level and she sings that part of the song really fast.

So you're a tough guy
Like-it-really-rough guy
Just-can't-get-enough guy
Chest-always-so-puffed guy
I'm that bad type
Make-your-mama-sad type
Make-your-girlfriend-mad type
Might-seduce-your-dad type
I'm the bad guy, duh 

I'm the bad guy

:bobo: 

Then I also really love the instrumental beat that comes in on the song with Billie singing those I'm the bad guy parts! Those parts are so fun and catchy! :bobo: 

I like it when you take control
Even if you know that you don't
Own me, I'll let you play the role
I'll be your animal 

My mommy likes to sing along
With me but she won't sing this song
If she reads all the lyrics
She'll pity the men I know

Some reallly interesting lyrics there from Billie, but the latter half of that verse does really crack me up. I love the shoutout she mentions to her mommy of not wanting to sing this song with her. :giggle: Then from the second verse, I love the inclusion of the part where she sings:

I'm only good at being bad! Bbbbaaaaaddddd

Sing it, Billie! :giggle: I also really love that breakdown section/beat of the song where the music slows down but still has that intense sound to it. I love the parts where she sings:

I like when you get mad
I guess I'm pretty glad
That you're alone
You said she's scared of me? 

But maybe it's 'cause I'm wearing your cologne
I'm a bad guy
I'm, I'm a bad guy

:giggle: 

This song is so fun and has so much fun personality from Billie, even though it isn't really meant to be a fun song? But I just really love and am totally here for the sound of this song. I don't know if Billie has more songs like this of this particular style but I'd love to hear more songs like this from her. Hmm, I do feel like Billie is pretty polarizing in general, but with her other song making it to the middle of the rankings last year's round, I'm hoping this can do a little better and hopefully can crack somewhere in the Top 8.

STEVEN

I don't like this song. I was prepared to give this a lower ranking, yet somehow there were other songs in this Top 20 I dislike even more.

QC

(6.25/10) Her voice is too soft for me on this song (and I suppose generally, too). Plus, the song always feels to me like two very distinct songs mashed together; I can't decide how I feel about that. I think it's kind of cool I guess. One thing I did like is the beat that goes between her vocals. I think those were excellently done and are quite catchy. Also I'm not over Kendra Checketts' elimination on TV. And her not being aired on AI :////.

5. LOSE YOU TO LOVE ME – SELENA GOMEZ

c628e6d49f70c0fdbc2e27f9f783d6fc.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ERIK: 1

VICTORIA: 1

DIANA: 2

PRISCILLA: 2

QK: 4

RICHARD: 4

GIGI: 6

AKSHAR: 7

ALEX: 7

LILY: 8

STEVEN: 10

CHRIS: 11

QC: 11

REI: 13

DEREK: 15

WALLACE: 15

COREY: 18

NICO: 19

RICHARD

This one didn’t really do a ton for me at first. I liked the minimal production and Selena’s voice, but I felt a bit indifferent to the song until that last chorus with all the voices hit, and then I felt like I got this one. It’s a good song, for sure.

ALEX

Selena’s best song easily.

STEVEN

I didn't really have much of an opinion of this song when I first heard it, but this was better than what I remembered after listening to it again. Selena sings this beautifully while tapping into the emotions of the lyrics. This was good.

QC

(8/10) It's a fine song, but I would prefer someone with stronger vocals to sing it. I think the lyrics are cool though.

WALLACE

1d58aaeb816b3ebb35b0833f7a74e2fa9c39ecec.gif

"Lose You to Love Me" is a really gorgeous and emotional song from Selena Gomez. I didn't expect to rank it quite this low but it just happen to end up being here. But regardless, I do still really like/love this from Selena. She really pours her heart and emotion into what she's singing and her vocals are really stunning too. ❤️ While it is all really pretty, I do feel bad and my heart breaks for her on this song too. :broken: Some parts that I love in the first verse are where she sings:

You promised the world and I fell for it
I put you first and you adored it 

Sang off-key in my chorus
'Cause it wasn't yours

Then I really love the pre-chorus and chorus of the song where she sings:

We'd always go into it blindly
I needed to lose you to find me
This dancing was killing me softly
I needed to hate you to love me, yeah 

To love, love, yeah
To love, love, yeah
To love, yeah
I needed to lose you to love me, yeah
To love, love, yeah
To love, love, yeah
To love, yeah
I needed to lose you to love me

So beautiful but heartbreaking. :broken: Then I think I love the second verse even more than the first verse. I love pretty much that whole part where Selena sings:

I gave my all and they all know it
You tore me down and now it's showing
In two months you replaced us
Like it was easy
Made me think I deserved it

:broken: 

Then for the bridge, I love how she repeats the first verse of the song at that part. She sings that part so beautifully and emotionally. ❤️ Hmm, I feel like Selena usually does well in this rankdown and I don't think it will be anything different with "Lose You To Love Me." I feel like this may be viewed as her best (or one of her best) songs so I can certainly see this ranking really well and high - I can see this making it to the Top 8. Can Selena break into the Top 4 for the first time with this song? I think it's very possible but I'm not entirely sure.

COREY

The vocals are beautiful, but the song is kind of boring. Selena is capable of making both danceable hits, and songs that are unique and original, but this is neither.

8. Ooh when it got to this Final 8, I had a feeling that "Say So" was gonna be the song to show up first. :haha: I'm not mad about that as I do really love this song and it's such a jam. :wub: Of course I wish it could have pushed a little higher but just really glad it made it this far. :bobo: Slayy at 7 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 rankings here though. :wub: Like most of Richard's comments here though not here for him shading the rap verse. :haha: OMG I forgot about that rock version that Nico posted from the EMAs.... haha that was so unexpected with this song. :haha:

7. Ooh I think "The Bones" more or less ranked where I was thinking it would have. I had a strong feeling it would make the Top 10, possibly Top 8. I don't think I was expecting it to beat out "Say So" or "Rain on Me" but very well done. And oooo  I said as much in my comments so yay I was right haha. 10 Top 10 rankings is very good and respectable for this. Also interesting seeing so many #3s and #14s here.

6. "bad guy" also did much better than I expected. This is one of the few times I'll be super happy and will cheer on a Billie song ranking this high so yayy for this placement! 7 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 rankings is also really impressive for this song too. Also glad to see Corey love this and has this as his favorite song of hers despite not liking her other songs. :haha: lol Steven's comments on this made me laugh out loud here (and I also wasn't expecting his to rank this at #15 either). :dead::haha: Oooh QC's comment on this song sounding like two different songs mashed up together is really intriguing. 😮 I'm thinking this may be the best a Billie song does on here too.

5. Ah "Lose You to Love Me" was my lowest remaining song so I was hoping for this to show up so I'm glad it did. :giggle: But no really, I do really like this and think it's a gorgeous song. This song has 6 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 ranks which is also really good. I think this is Selena's best showing on this rankdown? 😮 Well done to Selena on that. lol I always love reading my predictions to see if I was off base or close/spot on but yay looks like I kinda predicted this right. :giggle:

I got the following left: 1, 2, 7, 8. Oooh woww, definitely not too bad here at all. I'm definitely rooting for either my #1 or #2 to win it, but I'm thinking my #2 wins? We shall seee. 😮

Oops, forgot to post the update. Some more #1s got revealed as every song had a #1 on this set.

#1s revealed (12): QK, Steven, Derek, Lily, Priscilla, QueenCami, Corey, Chris, Diana, Alex, Erik, Victoria
#1s remaining (6): Akshar, Gigi, Nico, Rei, Richard, Wallace

#20s revealed (18): Priscilla, Rei, Akshar, Chris, Gigi, Victoria, Alex, Erik, Nico, Steven, QueenCami, Corey, Lily, Wallace, Derek, Diana, QK, Richard
#20s remaining (0): 

53 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I have 16, 17, 18, and 19 left :wub:

You dirty tanker, you! :dead: :giggle: 

25 minutes ago, taylorkat said:

1, 2, 3, and 8 left now.

Oooh with you posting this, I think I definitely know what your Top 3 is.... as you were posting those as advancement to the finals options. :giggle: