Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

11 hours ago, Qorey said:

I think this year is the best of any year since I started participating in 2011.  At the very least, there will no Adele to hog two thirds of the top three, so that's a definite plus. Things were really much better in the previous decade, though. 😄

I see Victoria not going to like you already lol 

• Haha 4

20. BEST SONG EVER – ONE DIRECTION

ed9d577f7466fd93cc2260c2418c848f.600x600x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 2

DEREK: 3

COREY: 4

GIGI: 8

AKSHAR: 10

VICTORIA: 10

WALLACE: 14

CHRIS: 15

ANDY: 18

LILY: 18

NICO: 19

REI: 19

QK: 19

ALEX: 20

DIANA: 20

RICHARD: 20

STEVEN

One Direction is kind of a guilty pleasure for me (although maybe not really since I don't feel guilty about enjoying their music). Their upbeat poppy songs are very catchy, and "Best Song Ever" is one of my favorite songs from them. I like the production choices here, such as when the music drops out before it comes back in at the start of the chorus. "Best Song Ever" is just a lot of fun to listen to, especially the chorus. The music video is funny too. I'm glad Victoria and I were able to bring it to the Top 20 even though its #20 ranking was no surprise.

COREY

The melody and beat in this song are awesome, but they don't hit quite as many high notes in their singing.

WALLACE

original.gif

I really enjoyed One Direction's earlier fun upbeat pop music that they made with their first 2-3 albums. I do really like "Best Song Ever," but I don't like this as much as their other fun upbeat songs like "What Makes You Beautiful," "Live While We're Young" and "Kiss You." So that song kinda falls a bit behind for me there. Although this song is classified as pop rock. It has a rock guitar driven sound to it but I still think of it as mainly pop. But it's nice seeing One Direction making it to the finals here. Although it also kinda makes me wish "What Makes You Beautiful" made it to the finals as I would have ranked that really high but this will have to do. :haha:

I do like how Harry and Zayn starts off singing the song. They both sound good and have very fun parts - though Harry has more of that pop/rock sound and Zayn has that smoother sound. I do like Zayn's part especially where he sings: She said, "Never in your wildest dreams."

I do love the chorus and find it really fun and catchy where they sing:

And we danced all night to the best song ever
We knew every line
Now I can't remember
How it goes but I know
That I won't forget her
'Cause we danced all night to the best song ever 

I think it went oh, oh, oh
I think it went yeah, yeah, yeah
I think it goes...

:bobo:

Liam, Harry and Niall all sing in the 2nd verse of the song and that's another really fun part and I enjoy all of their parts there. I definitely think Louis is the weaker singer of the group but he has an enjoyable part at the bridge. Those You know, I know, you know I'll remember you parts are catchy. I do like the ad-libs towards the end.... one of them is singing those really high notes. Not sure who that was. I would think Zayn but that was kinda impressive.

Omgg I hadn't watched the music video in years but I forgot how funny and hilarious it was. :dead: I especially love seeing the 1D guys playing different characters in the intro of and throughout the video. :dead: Oooh but then 1D doing that dancing choreography at the end also kills me too. It was kinda cringe and they are definitely no *NSYNC or Backstreet Boys there in the dance department... but I guess that's part of their charm. :giggle: Hmm I'm not sure how well this will rank, probably on the lower end of the countdown but I am curious to see.

ALEX

Is the song title ironic orrrrrrrrrr?

RICHARD

Generic. I feel like a lot of the members of 1D have really blossomed in their individuality and musicality, but back in 2013, they were still making this sort of formulaic music together. Nothing really stands out about this one.

19. SAIL – AWOLNATION

098a10258b3294966092eed68482aba0.300x300x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

NICO: 6

REI: 6

AKSHAR: 9

DEREK: 10

ANDY: 11

QK: 12

LILY: 13

VICTORIA: 16

CHRIS: 17

RICHARD: 17

COREY: 18

DIANA: 18

WALLACE: 19

GIGI: 20

STEVEN: 20

ALEX

The way they used this song in Fleabag season one…cinema

RICHARD

Hm. I suppose I can understand why someone might like this one, but personally speaking, this is pretty grating on the ears, from the singer’s gravelly voice to the heavy, static-y production. Just not really my cup of tea.

COREY

Not much of a melody here, but a good underlying beat saves this song from being lower on the list.

WALLACE

sail-awolnation.gif

"Sail" by Awolnation is a song I kind of forgotten about over the years. It's one of those songs I don't remember how it goes until I listen to it. It's an interesting sounding song. It has that electronic and industrial rock sound to it and I think the music production is pretty cool. I don't love or stan the song but I think it's cool and interesting, at least. I do feel conflicted in the sense that I don't really care for the singer's vocals that much. The sail parts in the chorus is repetitive but fun to sing along to. The verses are good. I can't really pinpoint any favorite parts. But yeah, the music production is what really stands out and what I like most about this. This was a song I did contemplate on cutting but I guess the music kept me from doing so? :dead: 

I was also shocked seeing that this song came out in 2010. I learned some other fun facts of the song with its charts stats.  "Sail" is the first song to climb to its peak after a year on the Hot 100. It has spent the fourth-longest amount of time on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with 79 weeks behind The Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" (90 weeks), Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" (87 weeks) and Glass Animals hit ”Heat Waves” (84 weeks). 😮 So yeah I didn't realize this song was such a sleeper hit and took forever to climb up the charts. Fascinating to learn. I have no idea how it will do here but curious to see.

STEVEN

I suppose the production is kind of interesting, but the manic vocals here don't appeal to me at all.

18. MAMA'S BROKEN HEART – MIRANDA LAMBERT

8d9ceefbd7392e229b49ac594221e308.680x680x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

QK: 1

CHRIS: 5

DIANA: 7

GIGI: 9

COREY: 10

NICO: 11

LILY: 12

RICHARD: 12

ALEX: 16

DEREK: 16

STEVEN: 17

AKSHAR: 18

WALLACE: 18

ANDY: 19

VICTORIA: 19

REI: 20

COREY

An off-the-wall song about a girl dealing with a breakup. I like the jam-packed chorus, and crazy attitude of the singer.

RICHARD

I hadn’t heard this one before, but listening to it now, it was a pleasant surprise. I was getting into it quite a bit! I’m not a huge country music fan, but Miranda sounds great on the track and presents the song with a lot of attitude. I can see why it had the support to get to the top 20.

ALEX

Country songs seem to either be super vengeful or super religious.

STEVEN

I don't dislike this song, but it's not one I have ever sought out to listen to. There are other Miranda Lambert songs I like better than this one.

WALLACE

4FOE.gif

I do tend to prefer Miranda's uptempo songs over her ballads, as a whole, though there are some exceptions. I'm not really all that familiar with this song like some of her other upbeat songs, but I do remember it vaguely. I mostly remember the chorus but not so much the verses. Anyway, I do like Miranda's sassy attitude and how she delivers those vocals in a sassy way. The verses are cool and quite intense, but I think the song shines most with its chorus.

Go and fix your make up, girl, it’s just a break up
Run and hide your crazy and start actin’ like a lady
'Cause I raised you better, gotta keep it together
Even when you fall apart
But this ain’t my mama’s broken heart

I do especially like how she sings the "But this ain’t my mama’s broken heart" line. The music video is reallly something else. But I like all of those different sides Miranda shows of herself there. :dead: I think this is one of those songs that can grow on me with more listens.

17. SAFE AND SOUND – CAPITAL CITIES

b956f30f67b0b4886910c14dfdb7e178.800x800x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 2

ANDY: 3

COREY: 6

ALEX: 10

QK: 11

STEVEN: 12

VICTORIA: 12

RICHARD: 13

DIANA: 15

NICO: 15

WALLACE: 16

DEREK: 18

GIGI: 18

CHRIS: 19

LILY: 19

AKSHAR: 20

COREY

Great pop-rock song that has everything, but the lyrics are repetitive, and the melody is comparatively basic.

STEVEN

I thought this song would've done better in the rankings, but I'm not disappointed it showed up in the first set. The production here is pretty cool. That's what sells the song since the lyrics don't stand out as much.

RICHARD

This one’s on my workout playlist, lol. Lyrically, it’s average, but I do like the production on it a lot. It’s a great song to move to.~

WALLACE

safe-and-sound-capital-cities.gif

When "Safe and Sound"  was out and popular back in 2013, this was a song that I didn't really care that much for. It's grown on me where I do have some kind of appreciation for it. Enough so to rank it at #16. I don't really know any other songs from Capital Cities, so this is really the only song I associate with them. Capital Cities had a big hit with this song so well done to them there. I still wouldn't call this a favorite of mine but I do think this is a cute, fun and catchy song. I like the feel good nature of the song. I do like the verses and it has a fun sound to it. The same applies to the chorus.

I know that we'll be safe and sound
Safe and sound
We're safe and sound
Safe and sound
We're safe and sound
Hold your ground
We're safe and sound
Safe and sound

It's another one of those repetitive chorus, but it's catchy and easy to sing along to. :bobo: I also like the part of the song that they sing at the start and towards the end that goes:

I could lift you up
I could show you what you wanna see
And take you where you wanna be 

You could be my luck
Even if the sky is falling down
I know that we'll be safe and sound

The music video is also fun as I like all of the different styles and eras of dancing they do in it. I have no idea how this will do in the rankings but the songs in my 20-16 group are songs I like well enough but don't really care that much for. So I'd like to see this rank the highest of those but that probably won't happen which is okay. :haha:

DEREK

Kind of generic