Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

8. It's kinda interesting seeing a Lady Gaga song with very such polarizing ranks all over the place. :dead: 8 Top 10 ranks is fairly good for this. Hmm I think "Applause" is maybe her weakest point average thus far? 😮 It's one of her lower ranked songs but yeah not surprised seeing this making the Top 8 and then showing up 8th. Still an enjoyable single but not as standout as her earlier stuff so I'm fine with this ranking. Also didn't expect this to be Victoria's #20. :dead:

7. Ahh and yeah as with mostly every Taylor song, I had a feeling "I Knew You Were Trouble" rankings would be really all over the place. :dead: LOL it's crazy seeing the stats for this: 2 #1s, 6 Top 3s and 8 Top 7 (or Top 10) rankings, alongside the 8 Bottom 10 rankings, so not surprising at all. :haha: I do wish this fared better as it's my favorite Taylor song but glad it made it to 7th.

6. Ahh I was hoping for "Counting Stars" to make it a little further but at the same time, 6th is still a fantastic spot for this song to come in at.  And wow 10 Top 10 rankings is really impressive for this too. And no Bottom 4 rankings either. 😮 But yeah this is a great finish for OneRepublic as their songs haven't made it this far yet. Yess I love the anthemic feel of the song that Richard mentioned too.

5. Well done to Miley's "Wrecking Ball" on making it to #5, with 8 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 ranks. This is a very beautiful and powerful song from Miley. I agree with a lot of the comments from Richard and Steven here. LOL ouch harsh comments from Corey there. :dead:

Ooof kind of a rough set reveal for me. :dead: My remaining spots: 2, 8, 11, 13. Hmmm not reallly the best here. Hoping for my #2 to pull it off but I do really like the other songs, at least. :haha:

I realized I missed put Nico's #1 on the revealed part so hopefully this is all right now. :haha: 

#1s revealed (13): Alex, QK, Corey, Rei, Lily, Wallace, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Nico, Steven, Richard, Victoria
#1s left (3): Akshar, Andy, Chris

#20s revealed (15): Alex, Diana, Richard, Gigi, Steven, Rei, Akshar, Lily, Andy, Wallace, Chris, Corey, Derek, Victoria, Nico
#20s left (1): QK

3 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Only 3 #1’s left 😮 I’m honestly pretty gooped my #1 is still there

I feel like this is one of the most unpredictable years to predict a winner in quite a few years. I genuinely can't call it. :dead: But if I had to guess, I'm thinking "Royals" could pull it off?

12 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I’ll guess Clarity since it had a lot of support during the game.

That's another guess I had. :dead: I'm thinking either Royals, Stay or Clarity. So that means I'll be really shocked if "Still Into You" pulls out the win. 🤣

4. CLARITY – ZEDD FEAT. FOXES

clarityfoxes.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

GIGI: 4

NICO: 4

VICTORIA: 4

ANDY: 5

LILY: 5

QK: 6

DEREK: 7

STEVEN: 7

CHRIS: 8

WALLACE: 8

REI: 11

ALEX: 12

COREY: 13

DIANA: 14

RICHARD: 15

DEREK

Not my favorite Calvin song but it still gives me nice feelings

STEVEN

I do like this song a lot. It's got a cool quality to it with the production alongside lovely vocals from Foxes.

WALLACE

a1eb1d28-08ed-42b7-86ff-6fef8feb2f6b_tex

I've always loved "Clarity" from Zedd and Foxes... and wow after seeing how many votes it got in the voting round, a lot of us love this song too. So I have a feeling it will do really well in this round. I feel like this was the song that introduced me to Zedd and helped him have a big breakthrough with his music production/beats and all of that. I know that Foxes was a well liked artist on IDF and I've heard some of her songs through here before. I don't know if I heard this song first from Foxes or if I heard other songs from her. Anyway, I think "Clarity" is a great collaboration from Zedd and Foxes. Zedd has some great dance music here and Foxes provides gorgeous and stunning vocals on the song. I do love how she sings the opening of the song. But I love it even more with how she builds up and sings the pre-chorus. Then I love how the drop comes in and really builds the song up on the chorus! :bobo: 

'Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly, still fight and I don't know why
If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity? 

(Hey-ay, hey-ay-ay. Hey-ay, hey-ay-ay. Hey-ay, hey-ay-ay. Hey-ay, hey)
If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity?

:bobo: 

Such a great mix of beauty and jamming vibes here. :bobo: Then I also love the part in the second verse where Foxes sings: Don't speak as I try to leave 'cause we both know what we'll choose. If you pull then I'll push too deep and I'll fall right back to you. Touching stuff! 😢

I do love how the song continues building up as it progresses with the music and Foxes' vocals. This song reallly takes you on a ride. :bobo: "Clarity" is a great song and I feel really certain it will do well. I think it has a strong chance of making it to the Final 4. Not sure if it can win but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

ALEX

EVERYONE GET THOSE GLOWSTICKS UP!!!!!!!!!

COREY

A dreamy electronic song. I still can't accept that Zedd doesn't sing this song himself.

RICHARD

I’m conflicted on this one. The verses I love. Production is simple but effective, and the lead’s voice registers nicely. Once the chorus hits, the song devolves into generic EDM territory and just doesn’t go anywhere or do anything interesting.

3. STILL INTO YOU – PARAMORE

8979e0eb3b48171f61ce133e0a97e246.750x750x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

AKSHAR: 2

LILY: 2

QK: 2

CHRIS: 3

NICO: 3

ALEX: 4

COREY: 5

GIGI: 7

RICHARD: 11

STEVEN: 11

VICTORIA: 11

DEREK: 13

DIANA: 13

WALLACE: 13

REI: 16

ALEX

Paramore is coming back with new music soon y’all be ready!!!!!!!!

COREY

The melody is complex and intricate, but the vocals are slightly less adamant than the songs above it on my list.

RICHARD

This is one of Paramore’s less distinctive songs for me. It’s still a good listen, especially when the music really kicks in near the end, but I guess it doesn’t really register as a 2013 song if that makes sense? It feels more like a bonus track from one of their earlier albums in the mid 2000s.

STEVEN

I was iffy about this song when it started, but then I ended up liking this after the chorus came in. It's an enjoyable track for sure. This wasn't a song I was familiar with, but I ended up liking this enough to rank it at #11.

WALLACE

Te4u.gif

"Still Into You"  is a really fun and cute pop/rock song from Paramore. It's a song I'm definitely not surprised and expected to see make the finals. I don't mind it at all as I always really liked this song. I do like the uptempo pop/rock music and Hayley always brings strong and great vocals here too. I do like the fun and cutesy personality she shows in the opening verse. :haha: But the chorus is one of the strongest parts and so fun where Hayley sings.

I should be over all the butterflies
But I'm into you (I'm into you)
And baby even on our worst nights
I'm into you (I'm into you) 

Let 'em wonder how we got this far
'Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah, after all this time I'm still into you

Very cute and catchy! :bobo:

Then from the second verse, I love those parts where she sings and does those quirky notes of how she sings parts like "your mother," "I loved ya," "shoulder" and "forever." Those are so fun. :haha: The bridge is another reallly cute and fun part too. But I especially like the part where she sings: I'm into you, baby, not a day goes by. That I'm not into you and then how she sangs/hits that big note! :omg: 

2. STAY – RIHANNA FEAT. MIKKY EKKO

dd6f6559ac537baf036183b8c36ad845.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

VICTORIA: 2

WALLACE: 2

AKSHAR: 3

GIGI: 3

RICHARD: 3

DIANA: 5

ALEX: 6

ANDY: 7

REI: 8

DEREK: 9

STEVEN: 9

LILY: 10

NICO: 12

COREY: 17

QK: 20

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118254ae2b664482ae27ae7aaa02f43dcfe8f5ae56&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

rihanna-stay.gif

I really love "Stay" by Rihanna & Mikky Ekko and I think this is an absolutely gorgeous and beautiful song! :wub: I also think of "Stay" as my favorite Rihanna ballad too. ❤️ I just love how soft and tender this song is from the piano arrangement to Rihanna's & Mikky's vocals and harmonies. It's beautiful, takes its time and manages to make a big impact! I love how Rihanna sings the opening verse of the song, as it's SO gorgeous! I especially love the part where she sings:

I threw my hands in the air, said, "Show me something."
He said, "If you dare, come a little closer."

I love the pre-chorus that comes in next, which is simply stunning!

Round and around and around and around we go
Oh now, tell me now, tell me now, tell me now you know

And that chorus is so moving and touching too, where she sings:

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
And it takes me all the way
I want you to stay

Ugh it gives me CHILLS and makes me want to cry, y'all! 😢❤️

Then I love Mikky Ekko's verse, aka the guy who I never heard of again after this song. Lol no, I did hear of another one, or maybe 2 of his songs besides this? Anyway, he has a reallly nice, pleasant and easy listening voice. I love how he sings his part too. 

It's not much of a life you're living
It's not just something you take, it's given

Round and around and around and around we go
Oh now, tell me now, tell me now, tell me now you know

I do love how Rihanna has her moment to shine, then Mikky has his moment to shine. But I love it even more where they join forces and harmonize beautifully! ❤️ I especially love how they sing the last half of the bridge, the part that goes:

Funny you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving
'Cause when you never see the light it's hard to know which one of us is caving

CHILLS! :omg: 

But then I love how Rihanna and Mikky sings the rest of the song. I especially love those big notes Rihanna hits towards the end! :omg: A thing of beauty, as is this whole song! :wub: I do feel certain that "Stay" will do really well here, or at least I hope so. I do really hope that "Stay" can make it to the Final 4 and personally, I would love to see it pull out the win but that's probably too much to hope for. :haha: But yeah just hoping to see "Stay" rank well!

RICHARD

After a few years of Rihanna’s music being a bit of a bust, this was a great track for her to come roaring back on. I love the simple approach she took here, not going too flashy with the production and relying on not much more than a simple piano backing. The lyrics are solid, and Rihanna’s voice shines on the track and meshes well with that of her duet partner. Overall, this is one of the best songs in her discography and should hopefully place high.

DEREK

some days I hate this but most days I don't

STEVEN

Rihanna sounds so pretty on this song. The backing piano is effective too. This is a really nice song, and it's one of my favorites from Rihanna.

COREY

The tempo is barely crawling, but there is warmth in the melody, and the piano adds a nice touch.

1. ROYALS – LORDE

4efbd80d0ef8dfdc0e5657bf5fb78f6d.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 2

NICO: 2

ALEX: 3

VICTORIA: 3

AKSHAR: 4

DEREK: 5

REI: 5

RICHARD: 5

ANDY: 6

LILY: 6

QK: 8

CHRIS: 10

WALLACE: 11

GIGI: 13

COREY: 15

STEVEN: 16

ALEX

This song was my entire being for, like, a solid week.

RICHARD

It’s really interesting relistening to all the songs in this year’s top 20, because I feel like this was the first year to start resembling what a lot of hit music sounds like now. Half of the songs in this top 20 have aged horribly and have that same early 2010s generic production, but the other half sound pretty current, like this one. 

Overall, this is a good song. Minimal but effective production, which gives Lorde’s voice the opportunity to really shine through. Solid lyrics, catchy melody, just a very solid track.

WALLACE

lorde-royals.gif

ED9g.gif

"Royals" is Lorde's debut single and I thought this was a really cool song from her. In fact, "Royals" does stand out as my favorite song of Lorde's. I remember how big of a hit this song was and the staying power it had was crazy. It was not only a huge hit on the Alternative and Pop charts, but I remember it also hit #1 on the Urban radio charts, which was simply insane! :omg: :dead: So "Royals" appealed to so many people. "Royals" is such a smooth, lowkey, chill song but very enjoyable. I love the beat and how it matches up with Lorde's vocals. The opening  verse is cool but I really love how she sings the song a little faster on the pre-chorus.

But every song's like gold teeth, Grey Goose, trippin' in the bathroom
Bloodstains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams
But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair

Then the chorus is also a really great and catchy part. I love how Lorde sings that part of the song too:

And we'll never be royals (royals)
It don't run in our blood
That kind of luxe just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler (ruler)
You can call me Queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule
Let me live that fantasy

Then the my favorite part that I love from the second verse is where she sings: And everyone who knows us knows. I love how she drags that part out of the song. The bridge is  another cool/chill part of the song. I love how she sings those oooohhh parts. I feel pretty certain and have no doubt that "Royals" will do really well in this rankdown. I feel like it will at least make it to the Top 8. I just don't know if she/this song is polarizing to prevent it from making the Final 4 but curious to see.

COREY

Lorde's vocals are not irritating, but not beautiful either. That's a problem, because there is not much else to the song. Sure, it flows well, but where are the backup instruments?

STEVEN

I don't mind this song, but Lorde's style of music just isn't my favorite.

4. Ah yeah I had a tough time predicting where "Clarity" would rank but this coming in 4th is really good. This did really well with having 11 Top 10 rankings and no ranks in the Bottom 5. And @ Derek, I didn't know Calvin Harris produced this. And LMAO I knew Alex would make a Jena reference to this. :dead: 

3. I knew "Still Into You" would do really well but wow I didn't expect it to make it all the way to 3rd! :omg: Wow that's really impressive but then so are these stats - with 6 Top 3 and 9 Top 10 ranks. Then lots of #11s and #13s and then just one #16. Another song to do really well with no Bottom 4 rankings. This is a really fun song from Paramore. Also some really interesting comments from Richard on this one. 😮 

2. Ahh dangg, sad and bummed that "Stay" couldn't pull out the win especially as I was hoping a QK #20 would get a win one of these days.... but of course not. :closedeyes: :broken: Love "Stay" and am really glad to see it come in at #2, at least. Love seeing 7 Top 5 and 13 Top 10 rankings for this. ❤️ Glad to see lots of positive rankings for this and high ranks for it too. 

1. Lol at another song without any #1s winning once again. This reminds me of "Teenage Dream." :dead:  Well done to "Royals" on winning, which I did predict to happen so.... yay for predicting that, at least? 8 Top 5 ranks and 12 Top 10 ranks are all really impressive. It's a great standout song from Lorde. Not really my favorite amongst these songs... and bummed that this is the first song to not make my Top 10 ranking to win but oh well. :dead: I figured it would do well but had no idea if it would win. But well done to it. LOL Alex's comment of this song being his life for a whole week had me cracking up for some reason. :haha: