Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

26 minutes ago, Qorey said:

Mine are: 2, 3, 5, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17. 

I think you're winning.

In comparison... or in that one of my higher ranks win? I can only hope so, but we'll seee. :haha: I think my #2 has a good shot but don't know if it'll win. :haha: 

21 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11 ,14 and 20. 💕

Yup Thats Right GIF by Katelyn Tarver

I can't wait to see what your #20 is because I can't predict it. :dead: 

8. APPLAUSE – LADY GAGA

c652ccbe83f7e94e437917b8b49c9d86.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 2

GIGI: 2

DEREK: 4

DIANA: 4

REI: 7

RICHARD: 7

ANDY: 9

WALLACE: 10

LILY: 11

AKSHAR: 13

ALEX: 13

CHRIS: 13

NICO: 14

STEVEN: 15

QK: 17

VICTORIA: 20

COREY

Lady Gaga's singing is as energetic as my #1, and the instrumental backdrop is equally engaging, but the song is a little less edgy.

RICHARD

This is probably one of my lesser favorite singles from Gaga, which isn’t really saying much, but I do feel like it comes across a bit more generic than her other songs, definitely at least on the production front. Still, I enjoy listening to this track, especially the infectious chorus, and she sounds great as always.

WALLACE

lady-gaga-applause.gif

I must admit that the Artpop was kind of a disappointing era from Lady Gaga, after her previous two album eras (or 3 if we count The Fame Monster). This was the only single from that era I loved. "Applause" is not amongst my very top favorites from Lady Gaga, but I do still love the song and it's (probably) still a Top 10 favorite of mine from her. So I'm still pleased to see it make it here. I love how hard hitting the beat and music production is here. It has this powerful and fierce sound to it. I love the attitude Gaga sings and sells the song here with, and she delivers such strong vocals as always.  The verses are a lot of fun but I love how she builds up the pre-chorus even more where she sings:

I live for the applause, applause, applause
I live for the applause-plause, live for the applause-plause
Live for the way that you cheer and scream for me
The applause, applause, applause

Although the chorus is so catchy and is everything where she sings:

Give me that thing that I love (I'll turn the lights out)
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch (Make it real loud)
Give me that thing that I love (I'll turn the lights out)
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch (Make it real loud) 

A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E (Make it real loud)
A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch
A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E (Make it real loud)
A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch

SO fun, catchy and addicting there! :bobo:

Another part I love from the song, in the second verse, is where Gaga sings Pop culture was in art, now art's in pop culture, in me. :bobo: I also love how she spells out the album title at the end of the song, A-R-T-P-O-P. :giggle:

Ooh and I must also say the music video is a lot of fun too! "Applause" is a lot of fun and I'm sure it will do really well as all of Lady Gaga songs have done. I think all of Lady Gaga's songs have made it to the Top 8 of this game (all from spots #3 through #8) and I can certainly see that continuing with this song. I don't think it'll have enough power to pull off the win. I don't think it should as many of Lady Gaga's songs couldn't pull out the win so it would be kinda disappointing if this did. :ph34rwave:

ALEX

I weirdly hate the chorus but enjoy the rest of the song.

STEVEN

The song is catchy with some cool production elements, but I don't think this is one of her best songs. I think they went overboard with the effects on her vocals in the chorus.

7. I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE – TAYLOR SWIFT

fbab78d5e0cfec2335760e4c4dd427a6.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 1

GIGI: 1

CHRIS: 2

COREY: 3

STEVEN: 3

WALLACE: 3

VICTORIA: 5

AKSHAR: 7

ANDY: 12

REI: 12

QK: 13

RICHARD: 14

LILY: 16

ALEX: 17

DEREK: 19

NICO: 20

COREY

Taylor's vocals in this song are great, but the instrumental accompaniment is not as elaborate as either of my top 2.

STEVEN

If only one Taylor Swift song could've made it to the Top 20, then I'd rather have seen "22" here. However, I still like "I Knew You Were Trouble" a lot too. The song is pretty cool and unlike anything she released before. I think the dubstep works well on the track, and Taylor delivers this well. This is one of the standout songs on the Red album.

WALLACE

tumblr_mf2gl0JOfE1qkfg3no1_250.gif

0518d909-ef32-4d9c-808e-6f15f06dec8b_tex

I'm probably the only person that this may apply to (exaggerating a bit), but I do consider "I Knew You Were Trouble" to be my favorite Taylor Swift song! :wub: I was hoping for the Swifties to push for this song in the finals, as this was the main Taylor song I was hoping to make the finals. So #bless and thank you, Diana & Gigi. Hopefully they approve of my #3 ranking for this song. The Red era was where Taylor started experimenting and trying out different genres of music and this song really stood out to me. I felt like Taylor took an unexpected, big risk with her music and sound and pulled off this feisty edgy pop song. I just really love the music and her vocal delivery on this. This song was a really big hit in 2013 and I loved and was pretty obsessed with this.  I love how Taylor sells her heartbreak and honesty here in this song (which she always does so well). She covers such a dark and hard subject matter in this song and sells it so well. I also love the music production and beat and how it all flows with her vocals.

I do love every part of the song so I just may quote every lyric so beware. I do love how she sings the opening of the verse with this soft vulnerability in her voice. I especially love the parts where she repeats the same lyric a few times in the opening verse that goes:

You found me, you found me, you found me 

Without me, without me, without me

I also really love how she sings the pre-chorus and the chorus of the song where she sings:

And he's long gone when he's next to me
And I realize the blame is on me 

'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
'Til you put me down, oh
I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

I especially love how the song builds up towards the end of the chorus, specifically where she sings "Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground" and how the dubstep music comes in at the "Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble" part. That part is so intsense and soo cool! :omg:

From the second verse, I love the parts where Taylor sings:

No apologies. He'll never see you cry
Pretends he doesn't know that he's the reason why
You're drowning, you're drowning, you're drowning 

And now I see, now I see, now I see

The bridge is a really short and soft part but I love how she sings that part off slowly at first, then builds it up and gets to the rest of the powerful intense part of the song.

And the saddest fear comes creeping in
That you never loved me or her, or anyone, or anything, yeah

Then I love how Taylor sings the rest of the song and the raw emotional she has with what she's singing. But yeah I think "I Knew You Were Trouble" is a great song from Taylor Swift. I know it may noy be many people's favorite song of hers but it is for me. Taylor has ranked all over the place in this game but I'm hoping this song can rank well and hopefully make the Top 10 but we shall see.

RICHARD

I’ve never been huge on this song. This was when Taylor was experimenting more with the pop sound before she learned how to nail it with 1989, and for me, it shows a bit. While the song overall isn’t bad, it’s a little on the generic side and really could have been sung by anyone. It doesn’t really register as something authentic to Taylor.

DEREK

I love her but I hate this one unfortunately

6. COUNTING STARS – ONEREPUBLIC

5597f65d29b2a80c9e7a168c1e8110b3.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 1

LILY: 4

REI: 4

WALLACE: 4

DEREK: 6

QK: 7

NICO: 8

RICHARD: 8

ALEX: 9

DIANA: 9

AKSHAR: 11

CHRIS: 11

ANDY: 13

VICTORIA: 14

COREY: 12

GIGI: 16

STEVEN

"Counting Stars" is one of my favorite OneRepublic songs, and my favorite song from this year. The song is very catchy with its fast rhythm and blend of different musical styles. The lyrics are clever, and Ryan's vocals are stellar on this track too. "Counting Stars" is an awesome song, and it's one I still like as much as I did when it was first released. I'm glad this song managed to make it to the Top 20 without needing to be advanced before the cutting rounds. I was hoping that this song might've had a chance to win, but #6 is still pretty good.

WALLACE

original.gif

Well if I were to be super technical, while I do really love "Counting Stars" from OneRepublic, this feels more like a 2014 song for me than a 2013 one. But then I also wasn't going to target or not support a song I love because of that either. :haha: But yes,  "Counting Stars"  is a fantastic and such a standout song from OneRepublic. I often changr my mind between this or "Apologize" being my favorite song of OneRepublic's, and I don't know where I stand right now. But I do love this song to give it a #4 ranking. Ryan Tedder wrote a great song as usual, and I love his vocal and emotional delivery to this song. I do love how Ryan slowly starts off singing the chorus, in an emotional and beautiful way that goes:

Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But, baby, I've been, I've been praying hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars

Then I love how the song builds up to its upbeat tempo and I love how Ryan sings that part of the song too. I especially love the pre-chorus where he sings.

Old but I'm not that old
Young but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
On just doing what we're told 

I feel something so right by doing the wrong thing
And I feel something so wrong by doing the right thing
I couldn't lie, couldn't lie, couldn't lie
Every thing that kills me makes me feel alive

Ooh and I won't repost the chorus but I really love how it sounds in its uptempo form! :bobo: From the second verse, I love the part where Ryan sings: Make that money, watch it burn.

Then I also really love the bridge, as it gives off such an upbeat anthemic feel to it where Ryan sings:

Oh, take that money watch it burn
Sink in the river the lessons I've learned
Take that money watch it burn
Every thing that kills me makes me feel alive

"Counting Stars" has such a great and strong message to it with a feel good catchy feel to it. This was a song I remember being so huge but never got tired of it as I've always loved it! It's also insane seeing how the music video has over 3.6 billion views! :omg: I have no idea how "Counting Stars" will do. I think it has potential to do well. I think it could make the Top 10, or so I hope so but also hope it can crack into the Top 8 too.

DEREK

I like this one

RICHARD

This is definitely one of OneRepublic’s more memorable singles. It’s really the only one off the top of my head that I remember being more on the upbeat side, and that makes it stand out. I especially like the last part of the song where it becomes a little more anthemic and everyone joins in.

COREY

There is something inherently annoying about this song, but the quick tempo manages to overcome it.

5. WRECKING BALL – MILEY CYRUS

ed2348ca01b47d18605b14e75ea18ea3.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

RICHARD: 1

VICTORIA: 1

DIANA: 3

CHRIS: 4

AKSHAR: 5

QK: 5

GIGI: 5

STEVEN: 5

LILY: 9

REI: 9

WALLACE: 9

DEREK: 11

ALEX: 15

ANDY: 15

COREY: 16

NICO: 18

RICHARD

Miley was quite the polarizing figure in 2013, so this one probably has a snowball’s chance in hell of winning, but I genuinely think this is the best of the 20 here. 

This track is just so anthemic. You can just tell she’s digging deep and really tapping into her pain, channeling it so well through both her singing and the lyrics. The production is great and really highlights her voice brilliantly. Every part of the song is distinctive and memorable and just overall compelling to listen to. This song, overshadowed as it was by her image at the time, is genuinely brilliant.

STEVEN

"Wrecking Ball" is Miley Cyrus's best song in my opinion. The production hits hard and effectively evokes the angsty feeling of the lyrics. The chorus is especially a standout. I do think "Wrecking Ball" is a song that would've succeeded even if another artist had recorded it, but Miley does bring something special to the song. Her emotional delivery sells the song well.

WALLACE

original.gif

Miley Cyrus is such an interesting artist for me where she's kind of that hit or miss artist for me. Sometimes I love her songs, sometimes I don't like her songs, sometimes I like them, sometimes I'm indifferent/in between, I just never really know where I stand with her. :dead: Like with her Bangerz era that we're at right now in the game, I never liked or could ever get into "We Can't Stop" at all. Apologies to the fans of that song. But Miley won me over with "Wrecking Ball." So much so, that I do consider this my favorite song of hers! I think this is such a raw, powerful, beautiful and moving song from Miley. She delivers it really well vocally and emotionally. I feel she gives off so much chills with this song, from the start to the very end. I love how she starts off singing the song: We clawed, we chained our hearts in vain. We jumped never asking why. So good! 😮

I do love how she slowly builds the song up at the pre-chorus where she sings:

Don't you ever say I just walked away
I will always want you
I can't live a lie, running for my life
I will always want you

Wow then that chorus comes in, it's so big and powerful! I really love how her vocals soar at that part where she sings:

I came in like a wrecking ball
I never hit so hard in love
All I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was wreck me
Yeah, you, you wreck me

:omg: 

She really came in like a wrecking ball with that chorus. :giggle: I don't have any real stand out parts from the second verse but I do love how she sings that part of the song. However, the bridge is another really gorgeous part of the song and that part is one of my favorite parts of the song alongside the chorus.

I never meant to start a war
I just wanted you to let me in
And instead of using force
I guess I should've let you win
I never meant to start a war
I just wanted you to let me in
I guess I should've let you win

So good and so powerful! 😢 But yeah Miley is so vulnerable, raw and emotional with the song. It definitely gives me chills sometimes. The music video is definitely really interesting too. I feel like Miley is a polarizing artist, so I can see this song getting a mix of high and low rankings. But I still feel like "Wrecking Ball" should do really well. I can see it making the Top 10, even in Top 8, but I'm not sure if it will have a strong enough vote to make the Final 4. But I could also see it making it there. I am curious to see.

COREY

This song only became popular due to the provocative video. It's really not a great song. Miley's vocals are thin and a bit annoying, but the strength with which she belts out the chorus, and that sneaky sounding intro, make it strong enough for #16, and no higher.