Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

- Ah, I didn't think "Best Song Ever" would rank too well but ooof ouch at it coming in last. Come to think about it, it's not really that surprising. This is a cute, fun and catchy song though.

- Ooh, I'm fine with "Sail" coming in at #19 as I also ranked this at #19 too, lol. I can get how this song can be polarizing. I do find myself also agreeing with Corey and Steven. I do enjoy the music production here though wasn't feeling the vocals.

- I like "Mama's Broken Heart" but fine with its ranking as it was one of my lower ranking ones. And ooh another ranking match/placement. I don't know why Alex's comment made me lol there. :haha:

- Also fine with "Safe and Sound" coming in at #17 too. A nice enjoyable song.

Time for some #1s and #20s reveals. A few of them have shown up already!

#1s revealed (2): Alex, QK
#1s left (14): Akshar, Andy, Chris, Corey, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (7): Alex, Diana, Richard, Gigi, Steven, Rei, Akshar
#20s left (9): Andy, Chris, Corey, Derek, Lily, Nico, QK, Victoria, Wallace

2 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

I’m catching up but the winners of 2009 and 2010 were choices when Bleeding Love and Halo + all of Lady Gaga early singles were there. 

Ahh yeah I really wish we had you in the game then (as well as 2008).. as yeah I think those would have been more deserving winners. 😭

2 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Could I have saved One Direction from ranking last had a ranked then at #2 like I wanted, @Steven_
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Oooh I'm curious why you ranked them 10th rather than 2nd? 😮 

16. GONE, GONE, GONE – PHILLIP PHILLIPS

b9ec569565cc6299816e0d5ed2165c8f.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 4

AKSHAR: 6

ALEX: 8

REI: 10

RICHARD: 10

COREY: 11

DIANA: 11

ANDY: 14

CHRIS: 14

DEREK: 14

GIGI: 14

QK: 16

NICO: 17

VICTORIA: 17

WALLACE: 17

LILY: 20

STEVEN

Phillip Phillips getting a song in the finals of this game two rounds in a row was unexpected, but it's a pleasant surprise. "Home" is the bigger hit, but I actually like "Gone, Gone, Gone" better. The melody is really nice, and I like the lyrics too. Phillip's heartfelt delivery suits the song very well. This is definitely one of my favorite songs in this Top 20.

ALEX

Phillip getting two songs into the finals was not on my bingo card

RICHARD

I’m glad this one made the top 20 since it was really Phillip’s last chance to make it in. This is a good song! It’s not the most memorable per se, but it’s a nice listen that definitely evokes feelings of nostalgia. It’s definitely a good road trip song, just like how “Home” is.

COREY

This song is not great, but it has a calming effect.

DEREK

sure whatever

WALLACE

tumblr_mw565a5seG1qezoeqo1_1280.gif

Ugh not me not cutting a Phillip Phillips song and letting it slip by in the finals. 😐 Ugh I'm SO mad at myself for that. But no, seriously.... I do like "Gone, Gone, Gone" and think it's a nice song. I don't love it by any means, but it's nice, pleasant and easy to listen to. And I guess I like it more than some other songs from this year so blah. Phillip does sound nice and sets the song up well on the verses. The chorus is where the song really shines and is my favorite part.

And I would do it for you, for you.
Baby, I'm not moving on
I'll love you long after you're gone.
For you, for you.
You will never sleep alone.
I'll love you long after you're gone
And long after you're gone, gone, gone.

My favorite parts are those "foorrr youuuuu, fooorrr youuuu" parts. Which may have gotten stuck in my head when this song was out in the past quite often. Ugh, those parts are so catchy. 😐 I also like the part on the bridge where he sings: Like a drum, baby, don't stop beating. So yeah, this is a nice song from Phillip.

15. LITTLE TALKS – OF MONSTERS AND MEN

426eb0e5672f71ce15a7bbf59770ffb1.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 1

ALEX: 2

QK: 3

COREY: 8

GIGI: 11

CHRIS: 12

STEVEN: 13

AKSHAR: 14

DEREK: 15

LILY: 15

RICHARD: 16

DIANA: 17

REI: 17

VICTORIA: 18

ANDY: 20

WALLACE: 20

NICO

This song. I could honestly rave forever about how great it is from a composition level and how well it's framed, how the interplay of the 2 voices elevates it to a completely different playing field, how the trumpet is the single best element on this song and the punch it packs (and how I wish they used it on their later albums), how incredible the chorus is... honestly this song has no business being as great as it is.

...But one of the best part about it is just how damn unlikely is that this song even became a hit at all. On an era where you start to see trends pop up that have become really common by now (viral hits from apps, random challenges or memes), this song highkey lucked out with just getting a little bit of airplay and it snowballed from there. It borders on naive and quaint that this song basically made it by... just being a great song that got lucky. This song has one of the longest climbs on the charts to get to the top 40 and eventually making it to the Top 20. if this isn't an organic hit, I don't know what is.

COREY

The upbeat back and forth between the two singers and the fast tempo make this a nice unique song.

STEVEN

I thought this was a song I haven't heard before, but it does sound familiar. I just didn't recognize the song title. After listening to it again, I found it to be a pleasant and catchy song that was very enjoyable. The two lead voices complement each other well too, and I like the buildup toward the end. This was good.

DEREK

omg I forgot we were still in the pseudo folk pop hipster era

RICHARD

There’s a bit of a nostalgic quality to this song that I like, but overall, it’s just okay for me. I feel like both of the leads get drowned out by the background instruments and don’t really stand out on the track. I’m not a huge fan of the affected style of singing, either.

WALLACE

ad9d39db117a1b2df85d93d92619897e.gif

I remember when "Little Talks"  was out, this song was really popular and had lots of airplay on the radio. I never really cared for when it was at its most popular. But it's grown on me a little over the years since then. So I guess I appreciate it a little more now? It's a cute, fun sounding song. I think my favorite part would be the chorus where they sing: 

Hey!
Don't listen to a word I say
Hey!
The screams all sound the same
Hey!
Though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore

I especially like that part on the middle of the song. Other than that, this is okay for me but I can get how it appeals to others.

14. SWEET NOTHING – CALVIN HARRIS FEAT. FLORENCE WELCH

4c1827d0e0397a0a75567697e3ed9615.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 6

COREY: 7

NICO: 7

WALLACE: 7

DEREK: 8

LILY: 8

VICTORIA: 9

ALEX: 11

QK: 14

REI: 14

ANDY: 16

DIANA: 16

RICHARD: 18

AKSHAR: 19

GIGI: 19

STEVEN: 19

COREY

Florence's belting voice and Calvin's great arrangements are a perfect recipe, but there is a feeling of distance that takes away from the song a bit.

WALLACE

tumblr_mby9xzeZHE1rijc7uo1_500.gif

UncomfortableEmbellishedDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

I remember being really shocked and surprised when hearing about Calvin Harris and Florence Welch collaborating with each other. But I think Calvin and Florence created some great magic on "Sweet Nothing." I do really love this song and think of it as amongst my top favorites from both artists. Florence has a really unique voice but it's interesting and works well on dance music like this. I do like the softer sensual feel she gives on the opening verse of the song. But as to be expected from me, I really love how the song builds up on the pre-chorus and chorus of the song where Florence sings:

So I put my faith in something unknown
I'm living on such sweet nothing
But I'm tired of hope with nothing to hold
I'm living on such sweet nothing 

And it's hard to learn
And it's hard to love
When you're giving me such sweet nothing
Sweet nothing, sweet nothing
You're giving me such sweet nothing

I love how Florence builds up that second half of the chorus there. :bobo: And the dance music that comes in is really fun and trippy too! :bobo: Although this song is kinda confusing in the sense as the lyrics do seem quite sad but the song is so fun and dancey. Leaves me confused on how to feel here. :dead:

I also love the part from the second verse is where she sings: 

And every whisper, every sigh
Eats away this heart of mine

The bridge is another standout part that I love where Florence sings:

And it's not enough to tell me that you care
When we both know the words are empty air
You give me nothing
Uoooh. Uoooh. Uoooh
Nothing

Florence is telling it! But yeah, I do love "Sweet Nothing" and think it's a great song. It's one of those songs I hadn't listened to in quite awhile and I forgot how much I loved it until relistening to it. I'm hoping it ranks well here and think it should do well. It's just hard to predict how this will do as I feel like this year's rankings will be tight with some songs.

DEREK

This is straight up noise in some parts but I kind of live for the harmonies on the final screeching

ALEX

The era when every song had to be some sort of dance remix. Unnecessary. But on the other hand Florence Welch is forever allowed to do whatever she pleases.

RICHARD

Kind of a waste of Florence’s talent, if I’m being completely candid. I suppose I like the verses somewhat, but when the chorus rolls around, I’m hit with a tidal wave of hideous, dated EDM-type production. This should’ve stayed buried in 2013 instead of us exhuming it for this rankdown.

STEVEN

I don't think it's a terrible song, but it's just not something I would want to seek out to listen to again. The vocals are good, but the track is overproduced. 

13. I LOVE IT – ICONA POP FEAT. CHARLI XCX

1763ba2746421fcc2beaafefacfef0d2.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 1

NICO: 5

WALLACE: 5

ALEX: 7

AKSHAR: 8

ANDY: 8

DIANA: 10

REI: 13

LILY: 14

STEVEN: 14

GIGI: 15

QK: 15

VICTORIA: 15

CHRIS: 16

DEREK: 17

RICHARD: 19

COREY

This song is utter insanity, and the delivery of the vocals is over the top. Crashing cars into bridges, being up in space, and loving it.

WALLACE

ForcefulPiercingDungenesscrab-max-1mb.gi

tumblr_mjz9pbFK5O1qcsenco1_1280.gif

I love "I Love It." Lmaooo of course I had to start off with a cheesy pun. :giggle: But no really, I do love "I Love It" by Icona Pop and Charli XCX and am very happy to see it make the finals. This is such a fun and catchy dance/pop jam that makes me so happy whenever I hear it! :bobo: I do love how Icona Pop start off singing the song with that catchy and infectious chorus that goes:

I got this feeling on the summer day when you were gone
I crashed my car into the bridge. I watched, I let it burn
I threw your s*** into a bag and pushed it down the stairs
I crashed my car into the bridge 

I don't care, I love it
I don't care

:bobo: SO FUN and catchy! I DON'T CARE. I LOVE IT! :bobo: The verses are also really fun and catchy as well where, I especially love the parts where they sing:

You're so damn hard to please, we gotta kill this switch
You're from the 70s, but I'm a 90's B
I love it
I love it

:bobo:

Besides the catchiness of the song, I love how fun, upbeat and jammy the music is here. It's SO fun and gives off that fun party feel! :bobo: I also didn't realize how repetitive the lyrics are. Like the two verses are the same, there isn't a bridge.... I don't think? And the chorus dominants the song. Oops. :dead: But I DON'T CARE, I LOVE this song still. :bobo: I do feel like this song will be more of a polarizing song with a good mix of high and low rankings but I am hoping it does well.

STEVEN

The song is a bit silly, but it's very catchy and makes for a fun listen.

DEREK

I don't love it but I don't hate it either

RICHARD

I like the anthemic quality behind this song, but overall, I don’t love listening to this one. It’s pretty one-note and a bit abrasive on the ears. There are at least parts of the others above this one that I like, whereas this one doesn’t really have any parts I enjoy listening to.

2 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Ahh yeah I really wish we had you in the game then (as well as 2008).. as yeah I think those would have been more deserving winners. 😭

Oooh I'm curious why you ranked them 10th rather than 2nd?  😮 

Bleeding Love would be the only acceptable winner for 2008. 💋 

I was trying to vote honestly in regards to that song. :stealth:

- Ooh wow, Phillip Phillips songs coming in 16th two years in a row is rather interesting/ironic to see. :haha: But I don't mind the ranking for this. It's a nice calm song, like others have said.

- Good on "Little Talks" making it to 15th. And cool seeing Nico's love for the song and enjoyed reading his comments. This was a very unexpected big hit.

- Ooh wow, "Sweet Nothing" making it to 14th with no Top 5 rankings is rather cool. 😮 Love this song so a bit sad to see it showing up but that's okay. lol the opening of Alex's comment. :haha: And omg LMAO yikess at the latter half of Richard's comments. :dead:

- Oooh and then my #5 of "I Love It" shows up. :haha: That's fine. This is another fun dance song I love though I wasn't really sure where it would have ranked. But this ranking more or less was kind of where I would have predicted it? :haha: Very fun song and a good spot for it.

My remaining spots: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15.

A few more #1s and #20s revealed. 😮 

#1s revealed (3): Alex, QK, Corey
#1s left (13): Akshar, Andy, Chris, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Lily, Nico, Rei, Richard, Steven, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (10): Alex, Diana, Richard, Gigi, Steven, Rei, Akshar, Lily, Andy, Wallace
#20s left (6): Chris, Corey, Derek, Nico, QK, Victoria

46 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Bleeding Love would be the only acceptable winner for 2008. 💋 

I was trying to vote honestly in regards to that song. :stealth:

:wub: 

Oh. :dead: Lmao yeah that makes sense as that's how we're supposed to rank the songs. :giggle: 

5 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

I am fine with her not being around then. :giggle:

Of course. :claybleh:

12. RADIOACTIVE – IMAGINE DRAGONS

a1632bc91da7a8b8a1cc63dc3b65953f.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 1

QK: 4

ALEX: 5

WALLACE: 6

DIANA: 8

STEVEN: 8

NICO: 9

RICHARD: 9

DEREK: 12

VICTORIA: 13

AKSHAR: 16

ANDY: 17

GIGI: 17

LILY: 17

CHRIS: 18

COREY: 19

ALEX

Imagine Dragons is generally kinda basic for me but I do love this song.

WALLACE

original.gif

original.gif

I remember being introduced to Imagine Dragons through "It's Time," which was a good and enjoyable song that I liked from them. However, it was "Radioactive" that was the song that I really loved and became a big fan of (the song). It did make me like Imagine Dragons more as well. I just love the dark, twisted, moody electronic/alternative rock feel of the song. Even with Imagine Dragons still producing hits a decade later into their career, "Radioactive" still stands out as my favorite from them! Besides the feel of the song, I do love how Dan Reynolds sings the song. I love how he sings the start of the song:

I'm waking up to ash and dust
I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust
I'm breathing in the chemicals
I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus
This is it, the apocalypse

Then I really love the chorus a lot of the song where Dan sings:

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my system blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive

Hmm I can't think of a standout part from the second verse, but I do love it all! But I do love how the bridge of the song slows down where Dan sings, and he sounds great at that part, that goes:

All systems go, the sun hasn't died
Deep in my bones, straight from inside

Um, the music video is.... really interesting. I don't know what to say. It's wow. It kinda makes me sad seeing those toy stuffed animals fighting each other, although they are cute. :dead: But slayy at that underdog pink animal gaining radioactive powers to win that fight! Anywho, I do love "Radioactive" and it's definitely my favorite rock song to be in the finals this year. I'm hoping to see it do really well here but I don't think it will do that well.

STEVEN

This is a really cool song with an intense feel to it. "Radioactive" seems to be their most popular song, but I do greatly prefer "Demons" and "Whatever It Takes." I still like "Radioactive" well enough though.

RICHARD

This song hits pretty hard and has aged better than some of the others here. I love the instrumentation at the beginning, and then once the song kicks in, it kind of slaps. Lyrically, it’s neither here nor there, but the track overall is a pretty cool listen.

COREY

The melody is cold and depressing, but at least this song invokes a desire to chant along with it. This might be due to how overplayed it used to be.

11. MIRRORS – JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

8767b13a976942319147c2bee75c1860.600x600x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

WALLACE: 1

DEREK: 2

RICHARD: 6

STEVEN: 6

VICTORIA: 7

COREY: 9

ANDY: 10

NICO: 10

GIGI: 12

AKSHAR: 15

REI: 15

QK: 18

ALEX: 19

DIANA: 19

CHRIS: 20

LILY

I'm not against any JT slander here but also this is just an excellent song

WALLACE

tumblr_mmwojhu60S1s6t1w1o1_500.gif

original.gif

I absolutely love "Mirrors" by Justin Timberlake and I remember this being my #1 favorite song of 2013.... and I would like to believe that still stands for me today. A big thank you to Derek advancing this song with me as I was really hoping for this to make the finals. :hug: I know Justin is a polarizing artist here and yeah I just don't know if I could have trusted this song to not be cut in the cuts round. :dead: Anywho, I do feel like I love the Justified and Future Sex/Love Sounds eras more from Justin, although The 20/20 Experience was great too. But yeah, while I do love many of Justin's songs, something about "Mirrors" just stands out as my favorite song of his. I really love everything about this song - from the music production, the lyrics, Justin's vocals, his emotional connection.... just everything works! It really brings the feels and I just feel all of what he's singing here. :haha: I do love how Justin sings the opening verse, in a kinda fast away, with the hard hitting beat. It has such a cool sound to it. I really love the parts where he sings:

Aren't you somethin' to admire?
'Cause your shine is somethin' like a mirror
And I can't help but notice
You reflect in this heart of mine 

Just know that I'm always parallel on the other side

I really love how he sings the pre-chorus:

'Cause with your hand in my hand and a pocket full of soul
I can tell you there's no place we couldn't go
Just put your hand on the glass
I'm here tryin' to pull you through
You just gotta be strong

However, the chorus is IT! The chorus is MY part that really gets me in the feels and just FEEL the song so much!

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now
And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back here to you once I figured it out
You were right here all along 

It's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me
I couldn't get any bigger
With anyone else beside of me
And now it's clear as this promise
That we're making two reflections into one
'Cause it's like you're my mirror
My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me

😢  :bye2:

Is the song, and the chorus a song I may scream or sing at the top of my lungs? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not telling. 😘 But I also love those "ooooh" and "whoaa" as some of the background vocals on the chorus too.

I also love the whole second second verse where Justin sings.

Aren't you somethin', an original
'Cause it doesn't seem merely a sample
And I can't help but stare, 'cause
I see truth somewhere in your eyes
I can't ever change without you
You reflect me, I love that about you
And if I could, I would look at us all the time

The bridge is another one of my biggest and main favorite parts that I also really love a ton. I love it where Justin sings:

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow's a mystery
I can see you lookin' back at me
Keep your eyes on me
Baby, keep your eyes on me

That part is SO good, but especially how it transitions from the bridge to the opening line of the chorus with how he sings: 'Cause I don't wanna lose you now. I love how the song has that kind stop/a capella feel to it? Where the music quiets down and it's just clapping. I love how Justin sings that slower part and then how it builds back up and how showcases some higher/falsetto notes. It's all soo good. :omg:

Now with this song specifically, it's a huge 8 minute song which is TOO long. :dead: I don't love the last 2 and a half minute section as much as the first 5 and a half minute part of the song. I still really enjoy and love it but sometimes don't play that part of the song. :haha: The radio also cuts that part of the song, which has always been fine with me. But I do love the parts where Justin sings:

You are, you are the love of my life 

So now I say goodbye to the old me, it's already gone
And I can't wait wait wait wait wait to get you home

But yeah, I do really love "Mirrors" and hope that my #1 ranking can help it out as much as possible. I'm not expecting this to do too well, since I know Justin is polarizing and not that well liked here. But I still stand by "Mirrors" being a great song and hopefully others (that may not care for him) think so too. I'm just hoping for this song to escape the first set. So even if it comes in at #16, I will consider that a #win. Although I would love for it to do better than that. :haha: 

DEREK

Timbo

RICHARD

I was surprised relistening to this just how much I liked it.  This feels like a throwback, mid-2000s pop/R&B track in the best way. Justin sounds great, I love the melody of the song, and the production slaps. The lyrics leave a bit to be desired and are a bit nonsensical at times, but overall, they don’t detract from everything else I like about the song.

STEVEN

I get why people dislike JT, but "Mirrors" is a great song. I think this is arguably Justin Timberlake's best song. The production and Justin's delivery all come together perfectly on this track. The song could've done without that repetitive "you are the love of my life" part at the end though.

COREY

The reaching soul-felt vocals more than make up for the slow tempo.

ALEX

There’s absolutely no universe where this song needs to be 8 minutes long

10. THE WAY – ARIANA GRANDE FEAT. MAC MILLER

114c17a3576f17d3f6104cad21f43433.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

ANDY: 4

RICHARD: 4

GIGI: 6

LILY: 7

VICTORIA: 8

CHRIS: 9

QK: 10

STEVEN: 10

DIANA: 12

WALLACE: 12

NICO: 13

COREY: 14

AKSHAR: 17

ALEX: 18

REI: 18

RICHARD

Ariana’s discography started out strong with this track (let’s just forget “Put Your Hearts Up” exists, lmao; I’m sure Ariana would rather forget about that one, too xD).

Anyway, for being nearly a decade old, I feel like this song has aged really well. The production is great, and I love the little bits of piano in the background that ultimately give the track more character. Ariana sounds amazing, especially when she gets up into her whistle register near the end. It’s just a really solid song overall.

STEVEN

I haven't heard this song in a long time, so I forgot this song has a groove to it. I thought this was a ballad. Anyway, I think this is a nice and catchy song, and I enjoyed this enough to place it #10 on my ranking.

WALLACE

tumblr_mk1mipxrYL1qkv33ao1_500.gif

Ariana's breakthrough single! 😮 I do really like "The Way" and thought this was a solid way to debut Ariana onto the mainstream music scene. It's not one of my major favorites from her and I am sure many people prefer and would rank this higher than myself. Although I'm sure others will rank it lower than me too. But I still like it enough to give it a 12th ranking. I do think this is such a cute and fun song and it's adorable too. She's really adorable in the video too. I was never really that big of a Mac Miller fan (though RIP to him) but I do enjoy his rap flow on this song and I always enjoyed his chemistry with Ariana. I do love how he starts off rapping at the start of the song.

Say, I'm thinking 'bout her every second, every hour
Do my singing in the shower 

I ain't a player, I just crush a lot (crush a lot) 

From the first verse, I really love the part where Ariana sings: On a scale of one to ten I'm at a hundred. Then some other parts that I love from Ariana are where she sings:

If you want it, I got it, I got it everyday
You can get whatever you need from me
Stay by your side, I'll never leave you
And I ain't going nowhere 'cause you're a keeper

Then the chorus is really cute and fun too! 

I got a bad boy, I must admit it (hey)
You got my heart, don't know how you did it (hey)
And I don't care who sees it, babe
I don't wanna hide the way I feel when you're next to me (hey) 

I love the way (I love the way you make me feel)
I love the way (I love it, I love it)
Baby, I love the way (I love the way you make me feel)
Ooh, I love the way (I love it, I love it)
The way you love me 

I also like Mac's second and longer verse later in the song. I think I like the start of his rap the most where he raps:

Uh, I make you feel so fine, make you feel so fine
I hope you hit me on my celly when I sneak in your mind
You're a princess to the public

I enjoy how Ariana sings the rest of the song, as she does deliver some beautiful ad-libs towards the end. The music video is fun, cute and Ariana is really adorable in it. It's just perfect for Ariana's first video to establish herself as an artist. I'm definitely curious to see how "The Way" ranks. I'm thinking it will probably land somewhere in the middle of the rankings? Interested in finding out where this ranks.

COREY

Ariana's pleasant sounding voice, and a good background melody make this an okay song.

ALEX

The Ariana era starts…I just hate her voice…sooooo much.

9. SUMMERTIME SADNESS – LANA DEL REY AND CÉDRIC GERVAIS

799a7e0598e6ca3300739b0a1674d601.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 2

RICHARD: 2

LILY: 3

REI: 3

DIANA: 6

VICTORIA: 6

CHRIS: 7

QK: 9

GIGI: 10

AKSHAR: 12

ALEX: 14

WALLACE: 15

NICO: 16

STEVEN: 18

COREY: 20

DEREK: 20

RICHARD

I actually heard Jessica Meuse’s studio version of this before hearing the original, and while I really liked Jessica’s more upbeat, sexy Stevie Nicks-sort of rendition, Lana’s felt a little slow in comparison. But over time, Lana’s original has grown on me a lot. I love the sense of drama and the richness behind her voice, and the production is stellar. It’s just a pretty sublime track overall.

WALLACE

original.gif

LOL I know I was known as the proud Lana Del Rey hater here years ago, so what has the world come down to with me ranking her song at #15? I was not expecting that to happen. :wacko: WELL, Andy and other Lana fans better appreciate this ranking from me since yeah... I wasn't expecting to give her this high of a ranking. :kissbye: "Summertime Sadness" is one of the 2 or 3 Lana songs I like as well as one of the few that doesn't bore me so yay for that. Anyway, I do actually really like this Cédric Gervais remix version of the song. I think it gives the song a new and different kind of energy that you wouldn't expect from Lana. I don't really care for her voice on the verses, but I do like how she sings the pre-chorus and chorus. I especially like the parts where she sings:

Oh my God, I feel it in the air
Telephone wires above
Are sizzling like a snare
Honey I'm on fire, I feel it everywhere
Nothing scares me anymore

And then I also kinda love really like the part where Lana sings.

I got that summertime, summertime sadness
Su-su-summertime, summertime sadness
Got that summertime, summertime sadness

Lmao yeah I know the lyrics/feel of this song and the dance remix shouldn't really go together but I do really like the sound of it. :bobo: I just like how the music production meshes with her voice. OOH and I think those two parts of the song are the only parts I really strongly care for... but it's enough for me to place it this high. :haha: I also wanted to hear and compare this to the original. Yeah the original is more within Lana's style so I get those preferring that version but I still prefer the remix. :ph34rwave: Well done to Lana on having a big mainstream hit with this song. I have no idea how this will do here but I am sure there are some Lana fans out there to help this out. But I wouldn't be surprised seeing this with polarizing rankings.

STEVEN

I like the verses and pre-chorus. But when the chorus comes in, I just find it way too overproduced and quickly lose interest.

COREY

Just because a song is about a negative emotion, doesn't mean we should be forced to experience that while listening. Somebody needs to tell this to Lana Del Rey. Her vocals are depressing and cold, and I find little to love about this song.

DEREK

😬

- Pleased with "Radioactive" making it to 12th. My favorite song of theirs and I had no idea how this would do but yeah this making it to Top 12 is good.

- Ahh "Mirrors" was so close to making the Top 10....dang just one spot off. :dead: But honestly, a Justin Timberlake song making it to 11th is pretty great and yeah pleased to see this making it this high. I definitely was not expecting that. Oh and wow love seeing Lily ranking this 1st too. :wub: And also not surprised seeing such polarizing ranks for this. But 9 Top 10 ranks? I'll surely take it. Glad to see lots of positive comments on this song (the positive ones I do agree on) as I do love it so much! :haha:❤️

- Hmm yeah I did kind of expect Ariana's "The Way" to come in around the middle of this list at around #10. 9 Top 10 ranks too. Not at all a bad start for Ariana here. Not my very favorite of hers but should be a good indication of how her future/more well loved songs can do. lmao the first part of Richard's write-up. omgg Alex's comment. :dead:

- Lmaoo why did I forget about "Summertime Sadness" though I knew it was here for some reason? lmaoo. #mess. This is one of my favorites from Lana Del Rey so I don't mind it making it so high to #9, though not here for it beating out "Mirrors" and "Radioactive" but oh well. :giggle: I did kinda picture this making it around the middle here so it did better than I thought. lol Corey and Derek's comments are kinda how I usually feel about Lana's song though this is one of the exceptions. :haha:

My remaining spots: 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13.

Some #1s and #20s got revealed but still some remaining. 😮 

#1s revealed (7): Alex, QK, Corey, Rei, Lily, Wallace, Derek
#1s left (9): Akshar, Andy, Chris, Diana, Gigi, Nico, Richard, Steven, Victoria

#20s revealed (13): Alex, Diana, Richard, Gigi, Steven, Rei, Akshar, Lily, Andy, Wallace, Chris, Corey, Derek
#20s left (3): Nico, QK, Victoria