Worst Battle Pairings?

ikwonic

I know a lot of times surprising pairings end up giving us some of the best battles (ex. Will Berman vs. Jared Herzog, Natalie Brady vs. Jake Wells, Hailey vs. Lana, etc.), but what were some terrible pairings that just didn't work?

This season, we know that the reception for both Libianca vs. Tommy Edwards and Berritt Haynes vs. Kaitlyn Velez was generally terrible, and honestly, I'm not sure why Blake would've expected anything otherwise given those nonsensical pairings. I think that Libianca and Kaitlyn could've at least done OK on some generic pop song and Berritt and Tommy could've pulled together a salvageable Fishing in the Dark-esque performance at the very least. It's not like Blake had any strategic motivations for these pairings either because none of them were frontrunners on his team. 

Although the song choice was good, the idea that Kelly had to pair The Bundys vs. Mikaela Astel will always be one of her most head-scratching decisions.  Three twenty-somethings versus a fourteen-year-old girl?  That was just ridiculous, and she put herself in that position by not turning for anyone else who could have been a fairer match for Mikaela.

But again, that's Kelly getting in her head for you.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Although the song choice was good, the idea that Kelly had to pair The Bundys vs. Mikaela Astel will always be one of her most head-scratching decisions.  Is 320 something versus a 14 year old girl? That was just ridiculous, and she put herself in that position by not turning for anyone else who could have been a fairer match for Mikaela.

Totally agree. Kelly did Mikaela so dirty and for her to go on and hear Zae perform Electric Love and be like "I've never heard that song before!" felt like an extra stab in the back... I definitely think Kelly could've paired David Owens (or literally any of her many experienced country singers) against the Bundys although I'm not sure who else Mikaela would've been a good fit with since I doubt Mikaela and Rebecca Howell would've been a good battle. Honestly though, if Mikaela was able to do a good job against the Bundys, I'm sure Karen Galera could have as well, and Kelly could've matched up Mikaela and Alena D'Amico or something.

Edited by ikwonic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Although the song choice was good, the idea that Kelly had to pair The Bundys vs. Mikaela Astel will always be one of her most head-scratching decisions.  Is 320 something versus a 14 year old girl? That was just ridiculous, and she put herself in that position by not turning for anyone else who could have been a fairer match for Mikaela.

Yeah, this was a weird matchup. I didn't actually hate the battle (one of my favorite songs ever) and I get Kelly's whole team was a headache to pair up that season/no clear pair for Mikaela, but goodness how did she ultimately land on trio vs. 14 yr old who sounds almost nothing like them?

A very bizarre pairing: Keegan Farrell vs Jordan Matthew Young on S20.

Without taking in account their song choice (which was even more bizarre), these guys have nothing in common. Completely different vocal textures and different genres. 

There was Pete or Connor to battle Jordan, and there was Cam to battle Keegan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

A very bizarre pairing: Keegan Farrell vs Jordan Matthew Young on S20.

Without taking in account their song choice (which was even more bizarre), these guys have nothing in common. Completely different vocal textures and different genres. 

There was Pete or Connor to battle Jordan, and there was Cam to battle Keegan.

It's probably better not to question Blake's logic.  He clearly already knew he was taking Jordan through and probably just wanted to sacrifice Keegan to him.

Blake's not fair.  He almost never is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Yep. 

Chevel vs. Mikele Buck was a weird pairing, especially singing, “You Look So Good In Love.” It was probably especially awkward for Mikele. Chevel probably didn’t care. She was probably just happy to be there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Yep. 

Chevel vs. Mikele Buck was a weird pairing, especially singing, “You Look So Good In Love.” It was probably especially awkward for Mikele. Chevel probably didn’t care. She was probably just happy to be there. 

I tried to block this battle out of my mind tbh. It must've really been as bad as Chevel described given by the fact that they didn't even show a clip of Mikele singing. I think the pairing could've worked with a better song, but "You Look So Good In Love" is so strange given the um context of the pairing.

Just now, ikwonic said:

I tried to block this battle out of my mind tbh. It must've really been as bad as Chevel described given by the fact that they didn't even show a clip of Mikele singing. I think the pairing could've worked with a better song, but "You Look So Good In Love" is so strange given the um context of the pairing.

She never said that, or anything negative about it. She didn’t even complain about being montaged. She just said it was “fun,” and that her and Mikele became good friends. 

Three kind of obscure, forgotten pairings (one of them for good reason):

Katelyn Read vs. Treeva Gibson in season eight.  Both were indie-pop, so on paper, it should've worked.  But Christina giving them a Florence song?  Come on, Christina!

Brittany Kennell vs. Trey O'Dell in season ten.  Country girl and pop guy on a rock song?  Blake really didn't think that one through.

Jessica Crosbie vs. Nick Hagelin in season ten.  Obviously, one reason was because Nick was in the pairing.  And the other reason . . . what made Pharrell think that "Electric Feel" was a good idea for them?!

17 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Three kind of obscure, forgotten pairings (one of them for good reason):

Katelyn Read vs. Treeva Gibson in season eight.  Both were indie-pop, so on paper, it should've worked.  But Christina giving them a Florence song?  Come on, Christina!

Brittany Kennell vs. Trey O'Dell in season ten.  Country girl and pop guy on a rock song?  Blake really didn't think that one through.

Jessica Crosbie vs. Nick Hagelin in season ten.  Obviously, one reason was because Nick was in the pairing.  And the other reason . . . what made Pharrell think that "Electric Feel" was a good idea for them?!

Unpopular opinion but I loved Katelyn and Treeva's battle 🤭

3 minutes ago, Weirdoo said:

Can't decide between these 3 💀

400x400cc.jpg

ab67616d0000b27395f7e9731e1c0a46c4577ee1

ab67616d0000b273027107bba71344154c93f162

Cole deserved so much better :( I definitely see why the first and third ones were montaged though... I get Nadjah and Cole having no common ground, but could Blake really not think of a more fitting song for both Gina and Peyton, who were both pretty versatile artists within somewhat similar lanes? Amy and Jubal and Amanda was bad, but at least Amy was there to make it a salvageable performance.

• istersay changed the title to Worst Battle Pairings?