Who do Black artists only prosper when associated to Blake ?

thecarterfilez

Let's be all the way real ? why do black artists only do well when placed on Team Blake ? I know people realize this but are afraid to touch on the subject...

Paris all of a sudden has finalist potential and is pulling better numbers than Wendy now that he is on team Blake... 

Cam Anthony won on Team Blake when he would not have won elsewhere ? What's the real reason for this ... 

I think it depends on the specific artist.  If it appears that one is very good and can sing anything and surpass any expectation, then I don't think that it matters what team he or she is on.  But if it's someone pretty average, like someone of a lane or archetype we've seen often, then yeah, you can attribute being with Blake to why they last so long.

For example, I firmly believe that Jermaine, Kyla, Toneisha, and Cam could've done very well and gone very far even without being on Team Blake.  They were all at a level that they would've gotten the votes to go far regardless of team.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin, I felt like Paxton, Courtney, TSoul, and Aliyah were all average to mediocre singers who pretty much only had to thank Blake for lasting as long as they did.

I'm not sure of where Keisha, Spensha, and Kirk fall, though.  All good singers, for sure, but at the same time, they weren't necessarily consistent enough for me to think that they'd have gone far with any coach.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Everyone has a better chance on Blake’s team. Would Chloe had won on any other team? Todd? I don’t think so. 

This is a great point.

10 minutes ago, thecarterfilez said:

why do black artists only do well when placed on Team Blake ?

Thunderstorm? Desz? Rose? Chris Blue?

• Like 2

Yeah, its been pretty much said already. He's popular with the demo.

Chloe wouldnt have won had she stayed with Miley.

Cam wouldnt have won had he picked Nick.

CWB is a Minivan magnet, but likely would have had a harder time getting the win had Gwen kept him on KOs (although her and Blake already had agreed on the whole thing).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

CWB is a Minivan magnet, but likely would have had a harder time getting the win had Gwen kept him on KOs (although her and Blake already had agreed on the whole thing).

I do think if he would have stayed on Team Gwen, he would have won.  He was the biggest minivan magnet that season.

• Like 1

Yeah, all the winners need to be related to Blake in order to win, especially if they weren't my favorites. 

Maelyn wouldn't have won on Team John obviously. 

Carter wouldn't have won with Gwen LMAO. Imagine Gwen winning 😂

• Haha 11

14 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

This is a great point.

Thunderstorm? Desz? Rose? Chris Blue?

3rd/ ? / 4th ? 1st ... Chris Blue was literally MILES ahead vocally than anyone on that show that season... there's no way the audience could have even gave it to anyone else that year... same way when Maelyn won with John... the only time these coaches can beat Blake is when there is an undeniable talent that no bias can even overcome from the audience 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, LilBrooklyn18 said:

I do think if he would have stayed on Team Gwen, he would have won.  He was the biggest minivan magnet that season.

I will say it again. He won because of a quirk in the S7 rules. The prior few seasons had cumulative voting and based on the visible markers like iTunes bonuses, Matt McAndrew had a large lead.  But because of the 5th finalist WC twist, they had to start with a clean slate for the finale. With the Team Adam vote splitting and the God songs, CWB won the round. 

i 100% believe that the vote difference would not have been enough to make up for the cumulative lead, but it is what it is.

I think there's a bit of selection bias as well... I get the sense that the favorites (particularly some of the slightly older, more polished singers... Toneisha and Wendy come to mind) are more likely to pick Blake (or if not Blake, Kelly) at the outset, giving them an advantage even before the "Blake voters" factor kicks in. In many ways, these two phenomena (coach selection, voter bias towards certain coaches) are mutually reinforcing.

Just now, mathguy said:

I think there's a bit of selection bias as well... I get the sense that the favorites (particularly some of the slightly older, more polished singers... Toneisha and Wendy come to mind) are more likely to pick Blake (or if not Blake, Kelly) at the outset, giving them an advantage even before the "Blake voters" factor kicks in. In many ways, these two phenomena (coach selection, voter bias towards certain coaches) are mutually reinforcing.

Which, if you're John, Ariana, Nick Jonas, or any other coach, makes it twice the uphill battle. 

The only black contestants not on Team Blake that have made it to the finale via PV (Without Team Quotas) are Wé McDonald and Chris Blue (both on Team Alicia). 

I think, if there were no Team Quotas on S18, Thunderstorm would have gotten the PV easily, but that's it. 

There is also Tessanne Chin (who is mixed-race) and Brooke Simpson (who is Native American)

Both got the PV into the finale on their respective seasons.

Now, the number of white finalists not on Team Blake that have made it to the finale via PV (without Team Quotas) is 20. Plus, let's be honest, Carter and Kenzie would have made it via PV without the Team Quotas. So if we are gonna count Thunderstorm, we have to take these two in account too.

So, if we include Thunderstorm, Carter and Kenzie, that would make a total of 22 white finalists not on Team Blake vs 5 non-white finalists not on Team Blake that made it to the finale via PV during a total of 18 seasons. (I didn't take in account the first two seasons because since i didn't follow the show back then, i have no clue about who would have gotten the PV on both seasons)

Now, if we assume the Top 3 on both the first seasons would have gotten the PV, then that would make 6 non-white finalists not on Team Blake against 25 white finalists not on Team Blake 

I'm not trying to assume anything, these are just simple data, interpret it as you want. Let's remember that i haven't taken in account the number of white people that auditions on this show and turns a chair vs the non-white people that auditions and turns a chair, etc. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, yes.

We'll never know about Desz or Thunderstorm because of Team quotas. At the same time, saying Desz prospered when John H and her were the lowest placing contestants in the finale (while singing circles over many of the contestants multiple times) is not it.

Same thing with Victor. 

There are many many examples to debate but reaching an overall consensus that Blake gives everyone a big and equal advantage to all his contestants isn't the case, considering minivan has had a lot to say about black artists (especially females), even on Team Blake, and any other white artists from Team Blake get it a lot easier than them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Unfortunately, yes.

We'll never know about Desz or Thunderstorm because of Team quotas. At the same time, saying Desz prospered when John H and her were the lowest placing contestants in the finale (while singing circles over many of the contestants multiple times) is not it.

Same thing with Victor. 

There are many many examples to debate but reaching an overall consensus that Blake gives everyone a big and equal advantage to all his contestants isn't the case, considering minivan has had a lot to say about black artists (especially females), even on Team Blake, and any other white artists from Team Blake get it a lot easier than them.

Exactly, let's not assume race isn't a factor in the voting when it clearly is, just like gender, genre, age and of course, the team you are on. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Unfortunately, yes.

Same thing with Victor. 

Let's not also forget the fact that Brooke Simpson sang circles around Chloe and Addison in the finale and Brooke still came 3rd.... finale performances didn't even matter. 

• Like 1

Without knowing the starting percentages, some of these numbers don’t tell the whole story.   If way more non-black contestants start then black contestants, you would expect to see a

much higher number at the end.  Black people only make up less than 15% of the whole population. How does % of black contestants  who start based on whose team would give a more rounded story

Edited by LilBrooklyn18

2 hours ago, LilBrooklyn18 said:

Without knowing the starting percentages, some of these numbers don’t tell the whole story.   If way more non-black contestants start then black contestants, you would expect to see a

much higher number at the end.  Black people only make up less than 15% of the whole population. How does % of black contestants  who start based on whose team would give a more rounded story

That's what i said at the end of my post. :unsure:

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

I think it depends on the specific artist.  If it appears that one is very good and can sing anything and surpass any expectation, then I don't think that it matters what team he or she is on.  But if it's someone pretty average, like someone of a lane or archetype we've seen often, then yeah, you can attribute being with Blake to why they last so long.

For example, I firmly believe that Jermaine, Kyla, Toneisha, and Cam could've done very well and gone very far even without being on Team Blake.  They were all at a level that they would've gotten the votes to go far regardless of team.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin, I felt like Paxton, Courtney, TSoul, and Aliyah were all average to mediocre singers who pretty much only had to thank Blake for lasting as long as they did.

I'm not sure of where Keisha, Spensha, and Kirk fall, though.  All good singers, for sure, but at the same time, they weren't necessarily consistent enough for me to think that they'd have gone far with any coach.

With Keisha I think it's a bit of a different story. From what I read on primetimer, people thought she didn't come across as country despite declaring herself a country artist and singing country songs. She was basically just making country songs rnb, and the reception was mixed.

Of course,  not really sure if primetimer is representative for the rest of the general consensus on her, like fb and such.

And for those who don't know  what primetimer is, let's just say most people there are hard critics, and a few doing their best Simon Cowell impression.

Also, Keisha was consistently very good vocally imo.