Vocally, how do the coaches compare to the contestants?

Hsamid

How do the voice coaches (past and present) compare to the contestants vocally?

I guess you can just compare them generally, or be more specific like comparing Blake Shelton to country singers, JHud to powerhouse diva singers, Kelly to powerhouse pop contestants and so on.

I'll give it a try..

If I'm being honest I think a lot of country contestants have been on par or better than Blake vocally. Sundance, Jake Hoot, Chevel to name a few. Then again I don't listen to much Blake so I may be underselling him.

In terms of powerhouse diva vocalists, I think a few have better range than Jhud (Like Kyla Jade for instance), but not many match the combination of power and range of her belting notes. I think only Sissuandra gives her a run for her money in that regard.

I must say though, I do prefer a lot of contestants to the coaches when it comes to pure singing ability.

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

If I'm being honest I think a lot of country contestants have been on par or better than Blake vocally. Sundance, Jake Hoot, Chevel to name a few. Then again I don't listen to much Blake so I may be underselling him.

I think @seak05 posted a video of Blake singing some song (I want to say "She Talks To Angels") apparently with a lot more power/vocal ability than he generally shows off. Could be wrong, but hopefully they can clarify.

9 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I think @seak05 posted a video of Blake singing some song (I want to say "She Talks To Angels") apparently with a lot more power/vocal ability than he generally shows off. Could be wrong, but hopefully they can clarify.

This one, and yeah, if you want to prove Blake´s vocal ability and power, go to this video.

• Like 1

Or "goodbye time" (this is from a fan so meh quality) 

Also God's Country is a hard song. By and large country radio doesn't reward this type of vocal from male country singers, but Blake is a much better vocalist then most of what he puts out (it's frustrating) 

(also Kelly is a much better vocalist then Blake, but Blake is a much better vocalist then Jake Hoot) 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 4

Alicia is the weakest female vocalist

Xtina will always be the number one: voice, tone, range, versatility, stage presence, skills, SHE CAN DO IT EVERYTHING. None of the contestants approached her.

Edited by pauwis

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

She's stronger than Gwen on a technical standpoint, I believe.

maybe, but Gwen has a stronger and more consistent voice and sounds better regardless of technique
(I love Alicia, she's a great songwriter and producer, but is the most "limited" vocally to me)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

She's usually forgotten here, so, how do y'all think Shakira holds up?

I love Shakira!! (the sound and lyrics of "¿Dónde estan los ladrones?" is 100/10) but she's one of the last in terms of vocal skills.
Single tone, but middle range and sometimes the enunciation...

Pure vocal power and range, JHUD outsells everyone lol. Xtina would be close as well. Versatility goes to Kelly, that woman can sing any genre and do it well, also is no joke when it comes singing. 

Weakest are Nick and Pharrell, I like Pharrell too, but him and Nick can be outsung by half or more of their artists.

Gwen and Adam are personal favorites of mine, I know they aren't the best vocalists, but you can't deny their tones and versatility when it comes to their music. Although I can see if some people would put them on the bottom compared to some of their artists(Adam had a lot who can outsell him, even Amber who rekt him on his own song lol) 

• Like 1

As a whole, its pretty agreeable that Pharrell is definitely the weakest out of all the coaches, primarily because he's a producer first and foremost, and overall has focused more on rapping when it comes to vocals. He's more of a "catchy hook" artist in that sense, not "carry an entire song" one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I'd say John is the best vocalist of the male coaches. He's better than most RnB guys that have competed on the show.

Who would you say could give him a run for his money among RnB male contestants?

I think Cam Anthony and Chris Blue compete with him vocally. I'm sure there's a few others im missing.

Edited by Hsamid

3 minutes ago, LilBrooklyn18 said:

One underwent a lot of training, one purposely eschewed all training in order not to lose what made her voice unique.  

Understood, but that's not what I thought the thread was about. But I get you, this is amazing: