@~Tom~ - 12/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@Zoey - 16/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@Crisis - 20/20

Gigi

I don't like any other version of this song except this one. It's a beautiful performance.

Steven

"Falling Slowly" is my favorite performance of Season 8, and it's one of my all-time favorite Idol performances ever too. Kris really did pick the perfect song for himself. He delivered a heartfelt performance full of emotion. My favorite part of the performance is the second half after the key change. Kris sounded great on those notes while also connecting to the lyrics. "Falling Slowly" was a sincere and touching performance, and it easily takes the #1 spot on my ranking.

Richard

Truly a great outing for Kris. He showed a lot of ingenuity with his song choice, and his delivery was absolutely gorgeous. While he didn’t exactly give a perfect vocal, the few pitch problems he had here really don’t change how I feel about the performance in any way. Definitely one of his biggest moments on the show and an overall terrific moment from season 8.

Nico

Really good song choice for Kris, and he did a strong job with it

Tom

Despite Randy's blatant attempts at bussing, this was beautiful!

Alex

I think it's interesting this ranked right next to Jurnee as I feel similar about the two performances. Really heartfelt and beautiful, but neither of their strongest vocals.

Sola

I like Once, but I am sort of tired of hearing this as the only track ever sung.  He did his thing though.

Zoey

Basic.

Derek

I like this actually better than most by him but it’s mostly because the song itself is great. Although I get annoyed a bit when people sing this as a solo. But next to Glen Hansard’s wild talent and raw emotion it doesn’t compare, obviously

Wally

Kris’ “Falling Slowly” is a very beautiful performance and one I am not surprised that it made into the finals here and I do think it’s deserving. This is also one of those performances I feel a bit tricky on as I don’t know if I really like it or if I love it - it’s like right in between. So this isn’t necessarily a performance I stan for like a lot of people but I do still appreciate it a great deal. I think Kris’ version of this song was (one of) the first times I heard this and he gave a great  first impression of this song for me. :haha:

Kris does have such a lovely voice and tone and he really showcases that well here. The start of this is just…. really lovely. I love how he connects to the song and pours so much emotion into this. I do like this even more where he gets into the chorus.

Take this sinking boat and point it home

We've still got time

Raise your hopeful voice, you have the choice

You’ve made it now

Oh wow sometimes that part gives me chills. 😮 Then the way he closes this is really nice too where he sings:

Falling slowly sing your melody

I'll sing it loud

This was really good and that build up was great. Ugh I just wished this was longer because it went by so fast. Omg I remember Randy hating hard on this performance and people were raging at him for it. :dead: But yeah this is a very nice performance from Kris and I do really enjoy it - I feel like most may rank it higher than me but curious to see where it lands.

Reason for this #19 ranking:  I know this is a beloved Kris performance amongst his fans. I do really like this but it's never stood out as one of my biggest favorites from him. For it not being the big standout performance for me from Kris, it ranks around the lower end here.

Crisis

There are no performances I can say I dislike in this set; however, Falling Slowly lands in the bottom. It’s a good performance, but the others are just better.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #15 Posted)

14. Crystal Bowersox "Long As I Can See the Light"

bpvT7vB.png

11.5/20

Watch Here

@taylorkat - 3/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 5/20

@NGM - 10/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@rdhaley96 - 11/20

@Zoey - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 15/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

Gigi

Amazing, my favorite song from her.

Crisis

I don’t expect this to rank high because Crystal hasn’t done too well in these rankings, but this performance is in my Top 5 here. It’s my third favorite Crystal performance, and I preferred it to MaBM and GMOR.

Tom

Crystal got the top 4 performances of AI9 I see, well deserved, amazing.

Nico

Another entry in the "Crystal destroyed season 9 and should have won" book

Sola

stunning!

Richard

Crystal was very consistent on the show, and this performance was no exception. Very effortless-looking, easy listening type of performance, and Crystal clearly seemed in her wheelhouse. I would’ve liked to see a little more grit and conviction from her, but otherwise, she did great.

Zoey

No thank you 

Derek

zzzzzzz boring no

Alex

Not one of Crystal's stand out performances for me. Just par for the course for her. Obviously way above everything else from S9, but does not standout amongst the entire show.

Steven

This was a solid performance from Crystal Bowersox. She sang this song like it was her own. It's no wonder why she was the early frontrunner. 

Wally

I know this is a controversial ranking as this is viewed as one of Crystal's top standout performances, but that wasn't ever really the case for me. :ph34rwave: I do still like this and thought this was pretty. I just also found this on the boring side and never really connected to the song. My favorite part is towards the end where she sings: you know that mama's coming home.

Reason for this #20 ranking: I know this is a beloved Crystal amongst her fans, but this was a performance I never really was that connected to or cared that much for. I get that it's objectively a great performance but it was never a big favorite of mine from Crystal. This was an easy last place performance for me to figure out.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #14 Posted)

Fine with Crystal's "Long As I Can See the Light" ranking. I did expect this to rank higher as I know this was quite a loved performance, but I'm glad to see there were some that shared my thoughts on this too. Nice and good performance but not one of my favorites of this set of performances nor from her.

13. Janelle Arthur "You Keep Me Hangin' On"

9fhe0Ve.png

11.4/20

Watch Here

@Steven_ - 2/20

@rdhaley96 - 4/20

@Solaris - 6/20

@~Tom~ - 7/20

@*Wallace - 11/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@NGM - 16/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

Steven

Amazing performance from Janelle. Her arrangement of the song was clever, and she really delivered something special with this. I prefer Janelle's version of this song over the original. This is my favorite performance of Season 12.

Richard

This performance stands out for me just because of how cleverly Janelle reimagined it. She truly made it sound like her own song, and a very current, compelling one at that. I especially loved the minimal arrangement at the beginning. Vocally, she was very solid, although I think if she had pushed the vocal even 10% more, this could have been a contender for my #2 spot. 

Sola

Loved this version, her best of the season and one of my Top performances from her season.

Tom

One of the best artistic country moments ever on Idol.

Wally

While I am certainly not that huge on Janelle Arthur like some people are, I will always love and appreciate this performance so much. Janelle was good before this but she really impressed and blew me away here. This is normally the cursed song on Idol as a number of people got eliminated from this song + those versions of this song were average performances. But Janelle transformed this song, made it her own and gave by far the best version of this song done on Idol! I love how she made this song her own turning it into an emotional country ballad with a simple acoustic arrangement. She just really emoted and sang the song straight from her heart. She gave one of her best (if not her best) vocal performances. I loved all of the vocal range she showcased here. I do love how she closed this performance going into a falsetto note and then belting out that last big note! :omg: No doubt this will do really well here but I do hope it's Janelle last standing performance here.

Reason for this #11 ranking: This was my favorite performance from Janelle and I thought she delivered a gorgeous interpretation of this. My familiarity of this brought it this higher over the newer ABC performances I ranked below this. But I also have rewatched/re-listened to the other performances in my Top 10. So I have a biggger connection to those performances over this one, so this settles at 11th.

Crisis

Still one of the best arrangement flips of a legendary song on Idol. Janelle really did her thing here.

Zoey

Janelle was the weakest female vocalist that season and she bores the hell out of me.

Alex

The best non-Candice or Kree performance of the season. I pretty much like this as much as I can like a slow down countrified version of an amazing song.

Nico

Very pretty but not something that really jumps out to me outside of the AI12 context.

Gigi

This is okay for me.

Derek

meh. arrangement is all over the place. just stop

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #13 Posted)

@Alex95 - You have me listed there twice at #11 and #19. :haha: I ranked this at #11 so I guess the #19 ranking was from Derek as his name is listed last in that part of the comments?

Anyway, this was a gorgeous performance from Janelle and her best in her run, imo. Totally fine and pleased with this making it to 13th.

• Thanks 1

12. Casey Bishop "Black Hole Sun"

uMiGYtJ.png

11.3/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@Zoey - 8/20

@~Tom~ - 8/20

@NGM - 11/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@rdhaley96 - 12/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@Crisis - 14/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Derek

One of the most interesting song choices ever. Never thought I'd see this song done on a show like this. And she actually managed to finagle an arrangement that worked for her. A standout moment.

Alex

Considering the uphill battle all the ABC contestants have gone through in these games, I suppose I'll consider 12th place a victory. Simply spectacular. A unique Idol performance, which is rare to see 19 seasons into the show.

Zoey

Casey is a fantastic vocalist and this performance showed it.

Tom

Flawless masterpiece.

Nico

I really want to like Casey more than I do (everything about her screams favorite) but I think her age showed a lot of the time. Still, this was a great show of all the potential she has.

Sola

My favorite performance from her during the season!

Richard

Overall, I really love Casey’s alternative vibe, and her song choices were always really inspired, this one included. I feel like the delicate verses were great, and while I wish the choruses were a little less smiley, that’s really my main gripe. All that said, my thoughts on Casey still stand… that she should have waited 2-3 years or so before trying out. She was already good at 15, but I can’t even imagine how much an 18 year-old Casey could have torn up the competition. 

Wally

"Black Hole Sun" was really such an intersting and intriguing song choice, and it was quite an original one too. Don't think Soundgarden had ever been covered on Idol and Casey was the first to do so. 😮 Casey did sound really gorgeous on the soft opening of the song. She really connected well to the emotion of the song too, and I liked the different twist she put on this song. She did build this up nicely with the dark haunting chorus with some good power in her vocals. Her last power notes were especially impressive! This was a pretty cool and unique performance. I also think this is.... my favorite performance of hers that made it to the finals, which is maybe my 5th favorite of hers as most of my bigger favorites from Casey's got eliminated.

Reason for this #14 ranking: This wasn't my overall favorite from Casey but it was my favorite of hers that made the finals of the Season 19 game. I thought this was a strong performance from Casey but I do feel more connected to the other 13 performances I ranked higher.

Crisis

Chris Cornell is one of the greatest rock singers, so covering him is no easy task. However, Casey held her own for the most part and did her thing.

Steven

This style of music just isn't my preferred genre, but I do acknowledge she is talented.

Gigi

Everyone seems to love this performance, but I don't.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #12 Posted)

Good spot for Casey's "Black Hole Sun." :yes: I do really like this but not as much as most people, but still it was a great moment for her. :yes: Ooh and this is the highest ABC performance ranking huh? Well done to Casey on that as well.

LOL I don't know why but Gigi's comment made me laugh. :dead: 

Wow I just realized I have my whole Top 10 in tact. :omg: I would really love for my last non Top 10 performance to show up next but I doubt that's gonna happen. But I'm happy to have accomplished this, at least. :haha: 

11. Jessica Meuse "Blue Eyed Lie"

BgTFmKJ.png

11.0/20

Watch Here

@taylorkat - 5/20

@Zoey - 6/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@NGM - 9/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@Crisis - 11/20

@Steven_ - 12/20

@~Tom~ - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@rdhaley96 - 15/20

@*Wallace - 17/20

Gigi

My second favorite Jessica performance.

Zoey

Not my favourite from her but it’s up there.

Sola

Her best performance of the season.

Nico

While the songwriting angle on all singing show is incredibly hit or miss (with more misses than hits) this is really a great entry and proof that if you have the songwriting chops, you should show them.

Alex

Amazing. Sometimes I wonder if I just like the song itself more than the actual "performance" but still. This song is a jam and Jessica is very talented.

Crisis

It would’ve been nice to see this in the S13 Top 3 over one of the Jena songs. One of the best original songs to be performed on Idol.

Steven

Jessica's original song here was a standout of the season. She sounded great, and it was a very enjoyable performance.

Tom

Best original song between it and Fairytale, but I was rarely blown away by Jess and it's S13, so ranking it hee. 

Derek

Maybe she seemed good for season 13?? idk

Richard

It was really cool to see Jessica perform an original song, and quite a good one at that. This wasn’t necessarily an outstanding performance for me, but overall, she sang and performed it well. Not much more to add, really.

Wally

"Blue Eyed Lie" is one of Jessica's best performances, and I certainly saw it in this Top 20 and deservingly so. This is probably the performance I feel most confident that can win this game, which I'll be okay with although I would prefer it to be a different Jessica performance. As I can only really see Jessica winning this round. This is the original song that Jessica sang at her audition but it was pretty cool seeing her singing this on the live shows. She was very confident and connected well with the song. I like the attitude she sang the song with. I do really like the chorus that she sings especially those "that was just a blue eyed lie" lines. That's the catchiest part. She does sound great throughout. A strong performance from Jessica, but I just happen to prefer the others I ranked above it.

Reason for this #17 ranking: This is a very strong and solid performance from Jess. Great original song and she truly felt what she was singing. I know this ranking may be low to people and I can't really explain it. I guess I just connected and was into the other 16 performances I ranked above this.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #11 Posted)

Oooh wow, I don't think I was expecting Jessica's "Blue Eyed Lie" to show up but obviously I'm fine/good with it. I agree with a lot of the comments that this was a great original song from her. Maybe the song overshadowed the actual performance of it, which are some comments I also agree on. Though the performance was very good.

Wow my actual Top 10 all made the Top 10! :omg: I'm so shook but so happy about this! :shock:  :omg: