American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

14 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Basic Wally having his top 10 as the top 10 is sadly not surprising. :giggle:

🙂 

LOL I can never win with you in these games. :dead: Whenever I do really well in these games, I'm basic. Whenever I do bad in these games, you wub and love that I'm flopping. 😐 

10. Katharine McPhee "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Ek2xX0e.png

10.1/20

Watch Here

@Crisis - 1/20

@Solaris - 2/20

@Zoey - 4/20

@FrogLenzen - 7/20

@~Tom~ - 9/20

@*Wallace - 10/20

@Steven_ - 11/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@rdhaley96 - 20/20

@NGM - 20/20

Crisis

The first time out when she took the stage

Things sadly did not go all that well

So it was back to the drawing board

Knowing a repeat could seal her fate

She walked to the stage for the second time

With the determination she would not fail

The song choice was an unconventional one

With the chance of being poor instead of great

But she said, "No, no, no, no-no-no."

She said, "No, no, that will not happen you’ll see.

No, no, no, no-no-no."

She said, "No, no, that will not happen you’ll see."

I expect some tanks for this but so what. This was a great comeback and one of the sexiest Idol performances, and not a thing will change that.

Sola

This will get tanked I am sure. When Katharine was on she was on fire.  This was a weird choice for me but she made it work and I loved it!

Zoey

I will forever be a Katharine McPhee fan.

Derek

idk if this is the best performance but it is extremely memorable. I think her sitting on the ground and jamming with the drums and randomly growling was an interesting combination of daring and cringy. 

Tom

Not the absolutely best vocally, but she sold it while on her knees with a current song. 

Wally

There were a number of performances Victoria and I were thinking of pushing through to the finals but ultimately so glad we chose Katharine’s "Black Horse And The Cherry Tree," especially as this is one of my favorite performances of hers. Ooh Katharine’s Top 5 night was such an interesting night as she delivered both my least favorite performance (“Against All Odds”) and then my favorite performance on the same night, which was this one. I thought this was such a cool and funky performance that showcased her as the potential modern day pop star  she could be and she nailed this performance. I loved the arrangement, the staging with her sitting and doing that knee choreography and how she sang the song making it her own. I would be lying if i didn’t say this was a really hot performance too. :giggle:

But yes, Katharine slayed this song as she sang & performed this with so much fun. I love the attitude and flirty vibe she had while singing this song. The chorus she sang was so fun and catchy!

I really love how she sang the opening of second verse where she sang:

And my heart hit a problem in the early hours.

So, I stopped it dead for a beat or two.

But my very favorite part of this performance is how she sings the second chorus section  and belts it out:

But I said, "No, no, NO! You're not the one for me.

No, no, no, you're not the one for me."

MY HEART! My heart's forsaken me.

Black horse and a cherry tree.

You're not the one for me.

That section is sooo good! :wub:  I’m glad to have been a part of bringing this into the Top 20 and fingers crossed hoping it ranks well. Katharine also performed this on I Can See Your Voice at the end of last year (nearly 15 years after doing it on Idol).

Reason for this #10 ranking: The performances I have ranked from 10th to 8th were the trickiest for me to rank, as I love them all about the same amount. I hate to rank this the lowest of those? But I guess I'm doing so as it's the one with the least big moments to it? I don't really know. This was a fun and hot performance from Katharine, and I do still really love this.

Steven

This was a fun one from Katharine. She showed off her personality while delivering great vocals.

Alex

This performance is unhinged and I love every second of it. Is it a technical masterpiece? No. So I couldn't ranked it any higher than this. But it is so risky and so insane and I love her for doing it.

Gigi

I like this, but again, it ended up here due to liking others more.

Richard

I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this performance. I appreciate how gutsy and uninhibited Katharine was here, but I also found some of her stage presence and vocal choices a bit jarring and off-putting. Overall, A for effort, but I think I just feel sort of ambivalent about this.

Nico

My fave from her but I refuse to let her win easily since I hate her entire run aside from this and she was never able to win me over post-Idol.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #10 Posted)

Really love Katharine's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and so happy and glad to see it making it to the Top 10, despite having some #20s in there. :wub: This was one of those performances I wish I could have put higher as I do love it but I loved the other 9 more. And yayy my Top 9 all still remains. ❤️ 

9. David Archuleta "Imagine"

ZtZPCae.png

9.7/20

Watch Here

@Solaris - 1/20

@rdhaley96 - 2/20

@Zoey - 3/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@*Wallace - 5/20

@Steven_ - 9/20

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@NGM - 18/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

@~Tom~ - 20/20

Sola

This was the performance of the season for me, so of course I am going to rank it high!  I hope it does decently well!

Richard

There’s always been such a pure, timeless quality to David’s voice, and that quality was on full display here. The way that he stripped down this song really allowed him to take his time and ultimately give a gorgeous, soaring vocal. There’s a part of me that’s a bit envious that I’ll likely never be able to give half the vocal that he gave here at just 17 years old, lol.

In terms of the choice to sing the third verse rather than the first, I definitely understand given his background what drove that decision. There’s a part of me that would love to hear him revisit the entire song, though, especially if he decided to approach it through more of a queer lens now that he’s come out as part of the LGBTQ+ community and seems to be distancing himself from the Mormon church.

David in general I just find a really fascinating person. I feel like he and I definitely share a decent number of similarities, and his steps towards bravery have in a big way inspired some of my own. Needless to say, I’ve gone way off-topic. xD 

TL;DR: Fantastic, pure vocal and performance from a human being I’ve really grown to love and admire over the last few years. ❤️

Zoey

A vocal masterclass from a one of the youngest finalists in the history of the show.

Gigi

My favorite David performance, this one made me like him even more.

Wally

"Imagine" is such an iconic performance from David Archuleta and also my favorite performance of his where I will rank it at #2. “Imagine” is such a classic song and David sang this song beautifully. He really connected and captured the emotion so well of the song. I love how it’s a soft and simple arrangement and his voice just shines on this. I certainly can see this performance ranking well amongst some rankers but I can also see it being tanked badly from some rankers that view this as a threat or doesn’t  want this to win. And I can certainly see a number of those latter rankers feel this performance is overrated too. I have no clue where it will rank but it should be a Top 5 contender imo. Regardless i am hoping for this to be Archie’s highest ranked performance so fingers crossed.

This performance really showcased David in his best and strongest light possible. I love how pure and clear his voice is on this song. Right from the start, I do get some chills from this. I love how he sings the song throughout but i really love the part where he sings:

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing for the world... You...

I do love the vocal run he sings “You” there. He sounds fantastic singing the chorus. He sings the chorus twice and both times are great but the second time he sings the chorus is truly special. He really sangs it!

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

Take my hand and join us

And the world will live as one

I really love those parts where he belts out “I’m a dreamer” and “take my hand and join us” parts. :omg: Some really great vocal choices he makes there. This was really such a beautiful and moving performance from David. I am hoping it ranks high and am certain it will. :yes:

Reason for this #5 ranking: My very favorite performance from David Archuleta.  I thought this was an outstanding and amazing performance from David. I nearly thought of ranking this at 4th and it was kinda interchangeable there but this loss out in the comparison. I'm not sure how many Archie fans will be participating this round but I don't think many are around now so I fear this will place much lower than I would like for it too. :(

Steven

Here's David's most memorable moment of the season and back when he seemed unbeatable in the competition. The simple arrangement and David's heartfelt vocals made this a standout performance. He really connected to the song and delivered something really special.

Derek

zero points for the song choice but this was definitely a Moment for David.

Crisis

I always thought this was on the overrated side. Besides, I preferred the finale version. Regardless, it’s understandable why this is considered to be Archie’s signature performance.

Nico

While it's among his strongest performances (he shined on ballads but couldn't pull of anything else), I was never a fan, and I would prefer something I like more win.

Alex

This is pretty and sung perfectly. I'm now wow'd, but it's good.

Tom

Was an en easy #20 for me on AI7 and an even easier #20 for me here. One of the most overrated performances in histroy, and it doesn't help that I hate the song.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #9 Posted)

I actually expected David's "Imagine" to show up sooner and do much worse than 9th. 😮 So even though I would have loved for this to rank higher, I'm glad it made it as high as it did. I didn't know he would have that much support in the higher ranks but glad he did.

But I'm also not surprised by the set of rankings here - I figured this would get a mix of really high, a few middle and some really low rankings in the mix. :haha: 

8. Trenyce "Proud Mary"

DdHhNDQ.png

9.6/20

Watch Here

@NGM - 4/20

@Zoey - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 6/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@*Wallace - 8/20

@Steven_ - 8/20

@Alex95 - 10/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@rdhaley96 - 17/20

@Solaris - 18/20

Nico

Thank you for bringing much needed fun and energy to the dirge that is S2.

Zoey

One of the most underrated finalists in the history of American Idol. Trenyce did a fantastic job here.

Tom

This was her strongest week. Shouldn't have left after this!

Gigi

She's great, I love this performance!

Wally

Trenyce started the trend of singing a lot of overdone songs on Idol, with “Proud Mary”, but Trenyce’s version is amongst my favorite versions on the show. Trenyce had such a killer Final 5 night showing with this and “Love Will Keep Us Together” (which got disgustingly robbed and would have been in my Top 5. :/ *watches that performance after this*). Back to “Proud Mary,” Trenyce simply slayed this. I love how she sang the slower part of the song with a rich soulful quality to her voice. But the best part of this is where the performance kicks into the uptempo portion. She is SANGING it but really letting loose and having the most fun she’s ever had. Slay Trenyce! :bobo: She really performed this like a star! :omg:

And as always, I LIVE for her “come on y’all” shoutouts which she does a few times. This was one of the most fun and entertaining performances of the season! :wub: Aww and loved seeing Rickey Smith cheering her on here.

Reason for this #8 ranking: Such a fun, fierce and exciting performance from Trenyce. I love the big vocals she delivered but most importantly, she had killer stage presence and performed this like a star. The 10-8 performances were the most trickiest to rank but I guess I gave this the highest rank because it was the most fun of these 3 performances? I'm really grasping at straws with my explanation. :lmao:

Steven

Trenyce's best performance of the competition, and the best Idol performance of "Proud Mary" too.

Alex

The fact that my number one ranked performance of S2 is 10th place on my ranking, this group of performances <33333333. Anyways, this is so fun and iconic, love Trenyce :wub:

Crisis

Was this Trenyce’s best performance? No. Was it the best rendition of Proud Mary on Idol? A resounding yes. This was her “comeback” performance after a few “down” weeks. The confidence and stage presence were there. At least she went out on a positive note with this and Love Will Keep Us Together.

Derek

This gets a little scary but she mostly holds on. It’s tough to do a decent arrangement of this with the time limit on the performances but they do a passable job

Richard

This was a good performance from Trenyce, and her vocal was strong as well. I find the song in general a bit overdone, and I don’t exactly think this version stands out a ton from the other versions I’ve heard. As a whole, though, I do like what Trenyce did here.

Sola

I am not a fan of Trenyce but this performance was probably her best outside of Lets Stay Together.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #8 Posted)

Oooh a good spot for Trenyce "Proud Mary"! :wub: I ranked this 8th so can't complain. This was great but ugh now I'm getting mad again of "Love Will Keep Us Together" not making it to the Top 20 for S2! 😭 I think it was Sola that robbed that performance too? 🙂 

Lmaoo I was definitely surprised seeing Alex ranking this at 10th but him loving all of the other performances above it more makes sense. :haha: (As I also really loved my entire Top 10 too).

7. Vonzell Solomon "I Have Nothing"

ru9PEEs.png

8.3/20

Watch Here

@*Wallace - 2/20

@Zoey - 2/20

@Steven_ - 3/20

@Crisis - 6/20

@Solaris - 7/20

@Alex95 - 8/20

@rdhaley96 - 9/20

@~Tom~ - 11/20

@taylorkat - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@NGM - 19/20

Wally

Yesss, I am super glad and happy that JC & Derek were able to advance Vonzell’s “I Have Nothing” into the finals [on the Season 4 round] (and to keep Tom from cutting it). Vonzell had an absolute showstopping moment with "I Have Nothing.” It’s funny because i do consider Vonzell the Queen of uptempos and feel most of her strongest performances are the uptempos but I view “I Have Nothing” as her very best performance. And this is also my favorite version of this song done on American Idol, so I will gladly rank it at #1. I know Tom will place this at #20 for being the biggest threat to Carrie, and may try to get others to tank it to….. so eh, at least I’ll see it coming. I’m just hoping this can get a Top 5 finish at least.

Vonzell delivered an amazing performance of "I Have Nothing.”  This was her best vocal performance, and she really captured the vulnerability and emotion of the song! I also think it’s unique and so different how Vonzell starts off this song from the second verse, which kinda trips me out. She sounds so beautiful at the start, although she does throughout the whole performance. I really do love it where she sings the pre-chorus and chorus of the song where she sings:

I won't hold it back again, this passion inside

I can't run from myself

There's nowhere to hide

Your love I'll remember forever

Don't make me close one more door

I don't wanna hurt anymore

Stay in my arms if you dare

Or must I imagine you there

Don't walk away from me... NO

Don't walk away from me

Don’t. You. Dare. walk away from me

I have nothing, nothing, nothing

If I don't have yoooouuuuu

Vonzell is SANGING. IT. :omg: I love the power she has and vocal range she showcases while singing this song, and the passion & emotion she pours while singing it. It’s all so lovely to watch and listen to. And I must also mention how beautiful she looks in this performance too! :wub:

Reason for this #2 ranking: This is an amazing performance from Vonzell and my favorite from her! :wub: This was also my favorite version of "I Have Nothing," so all of those factors, I just have to rank this high. The Top 3 are all tight rankings for me, but I guess this comes in 2nd as I played/listened to this performance more over my #3 (and well #1 too), but it's not quite as gutwrenching as my #1.

Zoey

Vonzell is my all time favourite and this was one of her best.

Steven

"I Have Nothing" is a song that's been overdone on singing competition shows, but there was a special quality to Vonzell's performance that makes it my favorite version done on Idol. It's a tough song to sing, but Vonzell rose to the occasion. She delivered a strong vocal performance while showcasing her charming personality. 

Crisis

With so many times this song was sung on Idol (some good, some not so good), Vonzell’s is the best. It’s not technically perfect, but the commitment and stage presence were there. I don’t know whether hers or J-Hud’s version will rank higher; it will be interesting to see.

Sola

Her best performance on the show and probably my favorite version of this song on idol.  Song is too overdone though!

Alex

Originally I said Trenyce's version of "I Have Nothing" was my favorite but I just relistened to both and I think I'm giving the edge to Vonzell now. I think Trenyce has a bit more grit that I like, but Vonzell's vocal...whew. It's something else! Queen shit!

Richard

Minus points for choosing to sing “I Have Nothing,” but plus points for it being one of the better renditions of the song I’ve heard on Idol. She looked stunning and sounded pretty great. A solid A- performance.

Tom

Unlike AI4, I won't be tanking this, but still, it's I Hve Nothing so here it lands.

Gigi

They really need to retire this song. She did well with it, of course.

Derek

A very brave song choice. And she doesn’t embarrass herself

Nico

Never cared for this

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (4th Placers - #7 Posted)

Ahhh bummer, I was really hoping for Vonzell's "I Have Nothing" to do better. :( :broken: But 7th is still reallly good, so I'm not too mad.

I know "I Have Nothing" is way overdone nowadays, but it wasn't really that overdone at the time when Vonzell sang it. But yeah, still such a beautiful and gorgeous performance. Also still my favorite version of the song. Glad to see lots of deserved props given to this. :wub: And thank you to Tom for not tanking this this time around. :hug: