Contestants you thought were frontrunners/fodder but the voters hated/loved.

Vinyl

I never thought of Hello Sunday as fodder (I know they had a lot of supporters) but the fact that they made Top 6 is still surreal to me.

I agree with JDC, one of the most shocking eliminations ever. I thought it was over after watching his audition.

• Like 1

Oh God, I felt the EXACT same way about James David Carter. It was weird, too, because I LOVED Craig Wayne Boyd when he started out as a sort of outlaw country guy, but I didn't think he stood a chance against JDC because JDC had a much better image and more marketable voice. Aaaaaand then the opposite happened lol. I always liked CWB, but I did start liking him less as he veered more towards contemporary country. On the contrary, everyone else started liking him more. And the rest is history.

ANYWAY...

Fake Frontrunners:

• I felt this hard with Mia Z (Season 8). I liked her and thought she was a frontrunner - and then she was gone on the first night of voting.
  • Kimberly Nichole (8), who I really thought would make it to the end. It's been 5 years and I'm still hurt over this one lol.
  • Same with SandyRedd (15). I thought she was 100% a frontrunner, and then she, too, was gone on the first night of voting.

Fake Fodder:

• Emily Ann Roberts (9). She ended up needing the coach save, and I thought she was doomed after that. Then she got 2nd place.
  • Nick Hagelin (10). I thought he was awful, and I thought Christina only picked him as her comeback so she'd have someone to easily eliminate - and then he won the PV.
  • Also Chris Kroeze (15). I thought he was 100% fodder, at least didn't think he'd beat Kennedy or Kirk, and then he got 2nd. Sometimes I still don't believe it. I also can't believe that he beat Kennedy and Makenzie in the PV on bloodbath night. I thought they were both more popular than he was.
  • Oh, and Andrew Sevener (16). The format of that season made it easier for him to get through, but I thought there was too much country... and America said nope.
  • Hello Sunday (17). They were so polarizing, so I couldn't believe that they kept winning PV over, and over, and over again. They definitely had supporters somewhere.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I never thought of Hello Sunday as fodder (I know they had a lot of supporters) but the fact that they made Top 6 is still surreal to me.

I agree with JDC, one of the most shocking eliminations ever. I thought it was over after watching his audition.

He's from my area, so I REALLY thought it was over. Local news wouldn't stop gushing about him until he was eliminated. I still remember them having tons and tons of stories about him every time The Voice finished airing. They had, like, one story on Clara Hong, since she's from my area, too - and then she was eliminated in Battles. I always found JDC dull, but I thought he was what America loved, so I just KNEW he was making it far. I was shocked (but very pleased) when Craig Wayne Boyd turned out to be more popular. I feel like his "story" revolving around his makeover/transformation, and the double-steal helped him out a lot. JDC didn't have anything like that.

Front-Runners that Flopped

• Jesse Campbell (S2) - I thought he'd make it to the finale (especially after that Battle and getting the first public vote), but Christina cut him before the semifinals.
  • Amanda Brown (S3) - After Dream On, people were like "just hand her the crown" but she got cut at the top 6.
  • Trevin Hunte (S3) - He did almost make the finale, but he wasn't quite consistent enough to beat out the other three.
  • Judith Hill (S4) - Her audition was awesome and she had some solid performances beyond that, so I was surprised to see her get bussed (and have it work) in the top 8.
  • Sarah Simmons (S4) - Like Judith, er audition was awesome but the first warning sign came when she had to be the coach save; that said, losing her and Judith in the same week stung.
  • Matthew Schuler (S5) - I thought it was game over Hallelujah. I was wrong.
  • Bria Kelly (S6) - She should've gone to Blake or Adam, and that's all I'm gonna say on that.
  • Sisaundra Lewis (S6) - When Celine freaking Dion's vocal director gets cut before a generic "aw shucks" cowboy kid, do you not stop and wonder what's up with that?
  • Taylor Phelan (S7) - He had pretty good reception online, but his mistake was picking Adam after having a choice to go elsewhere in the KOs.
  • Kimberly Nichole (S8) - she didn't flop, but I thought after HOTRS and Creep she and Sawyer were the two finale locks.
  • Darius Scott (S9) - I knew as soon as Pharrell had to pick between him and Mark for the coach save it was game over for Darius. 
  • Owen Danoff (S10) - I didn't expect Laith and Shalyah to be Adam's front-runners, nor did I expect Owen to get cut before others like Nick Hagelin.
  • Casi Joy (S12) - I didn't expect her to be less popular than Aliyah, but it is what it is.
  • Janice Freeman (S13) - The show didn't deserve Janice.
  • Pryor Baird (S14) - I wasn't expecting him to lose a semifinals vote directly into the finale to Spensha, but at least he and BFF Kaleb got to go out the same week - any other way would've felt wrong.
  • Kirk Jay (S15) - Based on his Blind and his coach choice, he should've been the one to beat, but when it came to the live rounds he ended up being surprisingly divisive.
  • Jej Vinson (S16) - I didn't realize he was doomed until he had to get Kelly's save - even then, I thought he'd at least make the following week's Instant Save.

Fodder that Flourished

• Nicholas David (S3) - I didn't expect people to take to him, but he made it all the way to third. Good for him, tbh.
  • Will Champlin (S5) - I expected him to be the first one from his team cut after Adam had to save him in the playoffs, but he ended up making the finale (which was a pleasant surprise). I think the double steal added some intrigue + having a breakout moment the same week when a front-runner happened to flop were what saved him in the end.
  • Chris Jamison (S7) - After the playoffs, I thought the finale would've been Matt/Damien/CWB/Luke or TJW; after Georgia on My Mind happened, he got it together and was the only one to get both iTunes bonuses the next week.
  • Braiden Sunshine (S9) - I didn't expect him to get the public vote in the playoffs, and then he went out the same week as Amy with both being instant-eliminations, beating out two four-chair turns on the way to the semifinals.
  • Jeffrey Austin (S9) - Jeffrey was one of the last people I'd have expected to make the finale based just on the lineup of the show post-blinds, and then he (rightfully) made it to the finale after being a consistent vocalist with solid song selections week after week.
  • Nick Hagelin (S10) - Look up Christina's face when he got a public vote and tell me she wasn't pissed he made it through the playoffs. 
  • Josh Gallagher (S11) - Sundance won the KO, Adam stole Josh, and Josh got a public vote in the playoffs. Then he kept getting them. Then he won the Instant Save into the finale by robbing Queen Ali
  • Adam Cunningham (S13) - He nearly made it to the finale despite his coach clearly being more invested in Addison - and that was after having to compete in an Instant Save twice before the semifinals.
  • Chris Kroeze (S15) - He made it all the way to runner-up despite being on a team with more "obvious" picks for a public vote in the playoffs.
  • Andrew Sevener (S16) - If you look up the definition of "bussing that backfired" you'll see his face next to it. Unlike other teammates Gyth  his performances got better throughout the live rounds.

Amber Carrington S4. Adam’s team was stacked that season but Amber came out of nowhere during the Playoffs, and then ended up outlasting Judith and Sarah, both of whom were hyped in the pre-lives. I also think she could have made it to the finale if Firework never happened, because she did really well on Sad that week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

First contestant that comes into mind that flourished while IDF thought was a fodder.

Red Marlow from S13.

I don’t recall anyone calling him fodder, in fact almost everyone agreed he was the biggest threat to Chloe and Addison (I’m still shocked he didn’t get a PV in the semis)

Edited by Daillon

1 hour ago, Gmm99 said:

First contestant that comes into mind that flourished while IDF thought was a fodder.

Red Marlow from S13.

I don´t really think he was considered fodder, since he´s right up the demo´s taste and IDF knew that. He was already seen as a finale threat from the minute he opened his mouth in the blinds.

Fake Frontrunners:

• Jej Vinson: Compare Blinds and Battle Jej vs CB and Playoffs Jej. Exactly. The audience noticed that as well. 
  • Terrence Cunningham : Given how weak S14´s blinds were, I thought we had met our winner, but he went from the absolute season frontrunner into straight out fodder on Alicia´s stacked team. The transformation was astonishing.
  • James David Carter: Same thing as in S14 with Terence, yet he ended being defeated by the man he himself beat in the battles. His KO was the start of his downfall, while Craig´s KO, on the other hand, was the start of his rise to the win.
  • Dave Fenley: Excelent pre-taped performances, given how seasoned and composed he always looked while performing, I didn´t expect him to fall as hard as he did in the lives. And the audience noticed it as well. Another frontrunner turned into a contestant that needed Blake´s save to continue in just one round.
  • Kyndal Inskeep: Another one that had great moments in the pretaped rounds, but the nerves in her PO performances eventually led to her elimination, and the most surprising part is that she was either second to last or dead last in the Team Gwen voting, since Jake V got more votes as well.
  • Drew Cole: On Adam´s really, really weak team in S14, Drew was by far the best asset. And IDF thought he was a shoe in, since the audience liked him, and he had done really well, but eventually his downfall began with him trying to tackle Michael Jackson.
  • Kameron Marlowe: It was pretty much him and Deandre that IDF predicted to get the PV in the playoffs, and it should have been, given their performances, but never underestimate the power of the kids, man.

Fodders that Emerged (Silent Killers)

• Chris Kroeze: Was on a stacked team voting wise, in a season full of men with similar styles, was pretty much sidelined throughout the taped rounds, and presumed dead in the water, and yet out of nowhere he comes and gets the PV. As if it wasn´t enough, he kept getting saved and having the top streaming bonus twice in a row. And then, he proceeded to beat out both Kennedy and Mackenzie for the finale PV. And if that wasn´t enough, he beat freaking Kirk and ended as the runner up. Biggest silent killer I have ever seen on this show. 
  • Andrew Sevener: On a season full of country guys, he was viewed as not only the worst at first, but the one with the least chances, yet at the end he was IDF´s favorite country guy of the season. He was thrown against a trio, and prevailed, not to mention going first, or having an early performance spot in almost every round. And then, he pulled out the Skynyrd and managed to beat two really popular artists in the Instant Save. Another silent killer.
  • CammWess: Unmemorable blind followed by a straight out sabotage in the battle in terms of song choice and parts. He was also presumed dead, yet he comes out with an incredible KO, returns to the team he got kicked out off, and managed to beat not only the person that defeated him in the battle, but his whole team, getting the PV, and later into the finale.
  • Jesse Larson: One chair turn,overlooked throughout the taped rounds, and everyone expected Hannah and Lili to get the PVs on Team Adam. Here comes Jesse, nailing a Stevie classic and getting the PV. He kept getting saved, and managed to defeat two Team Gwen members in the instant save, and sneaked into the finale.
  • Chris Jamison: He needed Adam´s save in the playoffs, but recovered amazingly the following week, kept getting saved until he hits the bottom four one week, but survives, and manages to return from the bottom with two amazing semi final performances that both got into the Itunes Top 10, and manages to secure a clean PV into the finale. 

James David Carter's audition of Nobody Knows is one of my top 5 favorite auditions in the history of this show. His battle with Craig was also AMAZING, and his KO performance was also pretty Solid. But then his PO performance came and I don't know what happened either TPTB bussed him or maybe he self-destructed himself(Though I still think he deserved to stay at least one more round.)

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Spensha making it into the finale instead of Pryor still kinda shocks me.

Yeah, that came out of nowhere, it was pretty much especulated (and it´s what I expected), that Brynn, Britton and Kyla would get the PVs into the finale, and that Pyror would win the Instant Save. But I still believe to this day that the duet with Kyla helped her, because her solo performance was weak.

9 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, that came out of nowhere, it was pretty much especulated (and it´s what I expected), that Brynn, Britton and Kyla would get the PVs into the finale, and that Pyror would win the Instant Save. But I still believe to this day that the duet with Kyla helped her, because her solo performance was weak.

She (Spensha) was even absolutely shocked when her name was called as the first finalist of the season. Her reaction was priceless.  Please see link below.

https://streamable.com/sjluq0