40 members have voted

1. 1. Best battle?

• Desz vs Joseph Soul
    • John Sullivan vs Jim Ranger
    • John Holiday vs Julia Cooper
  2. 2. Best montage?

• Skylar vs Tanner
    • Lain vs Chloe

1. Desz vs. Joseph - Desz' tone and mid belts are rich and powerful, while Joseph's falsetto is floaty and delicate - they blended well because of that. If Joseph had been less pitchy at the start, I think he'd have done a bit better. 
  2. John H. vs. Julia - It was a bad song choice for both artists, but it felt less "off" for John. I'm happy to see Julia move on, though.
  3. Jim vs. John S. - Boring, forgettable, and a song that neither man would've done on their own - I'd have preferred something more like a Ray LaMontagne/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Hootie and the Blowfish type of choice for this matchup, since those seem closer to what we'd get from either of them individually.
Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 1

Just now, VintageVoice said:
  1. Desz vs. Joseph - Desz' tone and mid belts are rich and powerful, while Joseph's falsetto is floaty and delicate - they blended well because of that. If Joseph had been less pitchy at the start, I think he'd have done a bit better. 
  2. John H. vs. Julia - It was a bad song choice for both artists, but it felt less "off" for John. I'm happy to see Julia move on, though.
  3. Jim vs. John S. - Boring, forgettable, and a song that neither man would've done on their own - I'd have preferred something more like a Ray Lamontagne/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Hootie and the Blowfish type of choice for this matchup, since those seem closer to what we'd get from either of them individually.

Agree with all this

Just now, VoiceFan! said:

John and Jim weren’t that bad

I don't think either of them was bad vocally - I just think the song choice didn't allow either of them to shine; John has a laid-back 70s soft-rock vibe to his voice while Jim's got a clarity and a power that a song with more range would've shown off better.

1. Desz vs Joseph: Great song choice for both of them. Desz’s tone is just to die for, though she might be better off holding back some of the runs. Some of them felt a little out of place. Joseph put up a good fight too. Can’t say that he fully deserved the steal though. He was good, but still a little unmemorable as a solo act.

2. John H vs Julia: The song choice was unfamiliar to me, so it took me a few listens to get into it. It’s such a tricky melody. John did well, as expected, though his high notes might rub some people the wrong way if he keeps doing that for every performance. Julia held her own too, but she never got explosive like John did. Maybe it’s a nerves thing.

3. Jim vs John S: Not sure why they keep bringing Kane Brown back, and have contestants sing his one-note, cheesy, snap track songs. The battle was forgettable, but Jim was clearly superior here.

For the montages, even though 10 seconds is barely enough to judge any performance:

1. Chloe vs Lain

2. Skylar vs Tanner

• Like 1

Amazing

1- Jim Ranger(A) VS John Sullivan(B) _ My God!!! That's the Jim I know. He slaughtered John. Even though I think John was decent but Jim definitely owned the night.

Great

2- John Holiday(A-) VS Julia Cooper(B+) _ I think the song choice didn't do much favor to John. Julia's strongest weapon is her Head Voice and she definitely Showed us how amazing things she can do with it. Now John can do a lot of runs, the low notes, he can also sing very comfortably in all parts of his vocal register(Chest/Mixed/Head)  but this particular song didn't allow him to showcase his true range, He can do A LOT more than that(I guess he also holded back). Overall a great battle but I just wanted it to be even more great knowing how good of a vocalists both of them are. Now for his KO I hope he choses a song which can showcase his true power.

3- DeSz(A-) VS Joseph Soul(B) _ This was also a great battle. I really like DeSz and I enjoyed her performance A LOT. The riffs and runs that she does are absolutely stunning. Now Joseph was Of Course wasn't as good as DeSz but he still did a fair job.

As for the montages I can't rank them but I will say this Tanner was absolutely STUNNING!!! and one more thing Lain Roy was ROBBED!

• Like 1

A big stepdown from yesterday, none of this battles were great imo.

Good

1. Desz vs Joseph - Apart from Joseph’s entrance, this was pretty solid throughout. I think Desz’s tone makes her the winner for me, but it was very even. By far the best battle of the night, but I still think it was a tad boring.

Meh
2. John H vs Julia - Something felt really off about this performance, probably because of the song choice.

Neither were as good as in their blinds but John had some moments to shine. Julia was pretty disappointing.

3. Jim vs John S - Awful song choice and this didn’t go anywhere. I think both of them did (vocally) an ok job tho. Leaning towards Jim because of the big notes at the end.

1.  Desz/Joseph - Decent.  Pretty even battle, I may have preferred Joseph by a little here although I get why Kelly went with Desz.  I think she's a tad overrated personally.

2.  Julia/John - Horrible song choice for both, but especially for Julia.  Despite that, I like her tone and style much more than John's so I would have picked her.

3.  Jim/John - Legit almost put me to sleep.  There wasn't a winner here afaik.

1. John H. vs Julia - I understand why this battle was controversial (People not liking John´s tone, not a good song for Julia, etc), but I absolutely loved it. By far the most complicated and complex song melody-wise that has been performed on the battles, maybe ever, and John H made it look a walk in the park. Julia had some off moments, mainly due to the song not really fitting her, but she held her own and did some cool vocal choices. Well deserved win and save. 

2. Desz vs Joseph- Aside from Joseph´s opening, this was great. Both complimented each other really well. Desz won but Joseph held his own, I didn´t feel like was "destroyed" like many here think, the battle was pretty even. 

3. Jim vs John S. - Not nearly as bad as everyone here thinks in my opinion, but also not a showstopper. Jim´s high notes near the end elevated the battle, it was a no brainer, even though with each performance he´s showing me that he is not the threat I expected him to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

1. John H. vs Julia - By far the most complicated and complex song melody-wise that has been performed on the battles, maybe ever, and John H made it look like a walk in the park.

Absolutely agreed.

Also have you seen a group of people on Facebook, You Tube or Twitter/Instagram which says John is so screechy Or he's hard to beer OR only people on IDF say that?

• Like 1