Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART TWO

18. Man Down (2010 prod. by Shama Joseph + Timothy Thomas + Theron Thomas + Shontelle Layne + Robyn Fenty, written by Sham + Kuk Harrell + Bobby Campbell)

Album: Loud

source.gif

US Billboard 100: #59 (Single)

US Top Hip-Hop/R&B Albums (Billboard): #9 (Single)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Down_(song)

RANKINGS:

Dee: 15

Gigi: 20

Derek: 20

Elliott: 5

Megan: 20

Kaley: 4

Wally: 20

Denise: 19

Chris: 2

Rei: 1

Lily: 14

Andy: 2

Andrew: 13

Amanda: 16

JC: 19

Victoria: 19

Public: 18

Final Average = 13.353

COMMENTS

Man Down is another song that I feel is often overlooked in her rich catalog, but should not be so overlooked! Virgin Islands musical duo Rock City produced this track and were inspired to write a song like "I Shot the Sheriff," but from the perspective of a woman. A completely reggae song that incorporates elements of raga and EDM. The song is so West Indian and really features that aspect of her voice. The Caribbean beats and tempo are just stellar. Once again she highlights her Bajan accent and gets progressively more into her patois as the song goes on. UGH. The song is dope as f*ck. A standout on the album. One of her best pieces of work, and yet still ranks this low for me because I love Rihanna so much. Glad to see this in the finals.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, #jeah said:

This was an instant standout for me. As I’ve said before, I wish it was pushed more as a single....I know it was sent to urban and rhythmic stations but honestly if Rihanna can smash with some of her other previous hits, Man Down could have been a welcome change at the top of the charts. This is one of my favorite songs ever tbh. I really like how it brought Rihanna back to her roots in a really extreme but still authentic way. Rihanna has said that she was aiming for a “gangsta” vibe in her vocal delivery, and you can definitely hear that here. Lyrically it paints a really dark picture of a woman who shot and killed a man and is now on the run. It seems like she’s speaking to her mother over the phone and talking about how it was not an unprompted choice but one she wishes she didn’t make and is now fearing she has lost her freedom. The video sheds further light on the story, revealing that the woman in the story kills this man after he rapes her. Pretty dark stuff, but also really compelling. The song is elevated by Rih’s gorgeous voice here that oscillates between her lower register and her gorgeous falsetto. She sings it entirely in a West Indian accent. Musically it’s straight up reggae but with some dark electronic sounds and sirens in the background. The song climaxes via Rihanna’s increasingly thick accent that becomes almost unrecognizable in parts at the end. Ultimately, this is just a ridiculously catchy song with a hook as catchy as any of her biggest hits. This song has always connected with me because it paints a very vivid picture while still feeling authentically Rihanna. It’s emotionally very heavy and deals with tense subjects in a very honest but sympathetic light. Rihanna has always been an advocate for women and I think this song shows she is a strong ally for women who are victims of domestic violence. In short I think this is a very underrated and essential song in Rihanna’s discography and this is a very close #2 for me. I’m glad I was able to get it into the finals!

On 8/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, JC said:

this is lower on my list, but I still love this song, it's got a good beat and definitely gets your juices flowing and your head bopping

On 8/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, *Lily said:

I've always thought this song deserves more love than it gets so yay I'm glad it made it to the final round here! I'm excited that Rihanna seems to tease that if we do ever get this next album, it'll have a reggae/dancehall sound, because this is such a breath of fresh air.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, .Rei said:

Rihanna at her finest. Flawless

On 8/19/2020 at 6:44 AM, *Chris said:

One of my all-time favourite of hers; everything about this one is perfect. 

On 8/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, miss denise said:

Not a favorite, but I still like this.  The vibe is cool and I especially love those "Rum bum bum bum" parts. :bobo: Most of the lyrics scare me though.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:58 PM, taylorkat said:

It's okay.  Not a favorite.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, *Wallace said:

source.gif

I don’t like ranking “Man Down” so low and apologies to Andy on this. I do actually like this song but it’s never been a huge favorite of mine from Rihanna’s music catalog. I do love the reggae sound and she sounds good on this. The song is dark and deep with it’s message - with Rihanna talking about ending a man’s life and shooting him down. I do love the chorus where she sings: 

Rum, pum, pum rum, pum, pum, pum rum, pum, pum, pum. Man down! Rum, pum, pum, pum rum, pum, pum, pum rum, pum, pum, pum. Man down! Oh, mama, mama, mama. I just shot a man down. In central station. In front of a big ol' crowd. Oh, why? Oh, why? 

She sounds so pretty with her falsetto notes. I also love how she showcases her accent while singing this too.

17. Hard (2009, feat. Young Jeezy, prod. by Tricky Stewart + The-Dream, written by Terius Nash + Christopher Stewart + Robyn Fenty + Jay Jenkins)

Album: Rated R

source.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #8 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard): #14 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #9 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_(Rihanna_song)

RANKINGS:

Dee: 4

Gigi: 14

Derek: 14

Elliott: 18

Megan: 21

Kaley: 2

Wally: 13

Denise: 18

Chris: 18

Rei: 13

Lily: 4

Andy: 3

Andrew: 17

Amanda: 19

JC: 8

Victoria: 18

Public: 19

Final Average = 13.118

COMMENTS

"Hard" is iconic and I was not expecting such a low placement for it tbh. Rated R is my least favorite Rihanna album, but Hard is the true highlight of the album and a song that has always been special to me. Edgy. Club banger. Synthesizers. Piano notes. Military horns. An iconic chorus. One of the best lines in music history. This song has it all tbh.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, #jeah said:

It pleases me to see that many other people here seem to adore this song, because I’ve always viewed it as one of her most underrated singles. Thank you Kaley for doing the dirty work for me! Hard is probably my third favorite song overall from Riri and one that I have adored for years. She brings so much angry swag to this song. Iirc this was the second song that we heard after the whole Chr*s Br*wn incident happened...the first was Russian Roulette, and the lyrics had everyone worried like “...is Riri okay?” And then Hard came out and we realized Rihanna is the reigning goddess and we’re all just living in her world. Like this just oozes confidence. Lyrically it’s a lot of fun, like there are too many quotable parts (“all black on, blacked out shades, blacked out Maybach…” “where them girls talking trash? Where they at, where they at, where they at?” “brilliant, resilient, fan mail from 27 million…” “but the hottest bitch in the heels right here…”) I could go on and on. Jeezy’s part here is so much fun too i don’t even care lol. His whole “What that make me, Louis mane?” line is so stupid but so iconic. The production here is really unique for Rih and I’m honestly lowkey surprised this was a top 10 hit for her as it seemed to abrasive for me at the time and was definitely a departure sonically for her. Like Russian Roulette was a cute sad ballad and then Hard is like….an angry, IDGAF, rock-infused bop. It’s just the best haha.

So good, another contender that I could easily put #1 and be forever happy with it winning, but alas there are still quite a few songs above this, which is how effing QUEEN Riri is

THAT RIHANNA REIGN JUST WON'T LET UP. ❤️ I'm not sure how well I see Hard faring in this top 21 but I really hope it does well. I really love this song, Rihanna just exudes "that b***h" energy throughout at some of her finest, between the video and the song itself. 

Flawless

I like it, but not enough to be higher than this spot.

source.gif

Oooh yesss I love “Hard” and this song is an ABSOLUTE JAM! I just love how hard this song goes in…. yes pun intended indeed. I love how fierce fiery and dominant Rihanna is on this track. She has THAT ATTITUDE down pact so flawlessly. :omg: I  am certain I had moments of being obsessed and addicted to this song. :wub: But i can say that for all the songs in my Top 12 too. I love the music/beat to this. I love a number of parts of the song where she sings here such as: 

YUP YOU KNOW THIS!

That Rihanna reign just won't let up

And my, runway never looked so clear, but the hottest b**ch in heels right here

That I, I, I, I'm so hard, yea, yea, yea, I'm so hard

So hard, so hard, so hard, so hard

Where they at? Where they at? Where they at?

Such a killer jam! :bobo: Also love Young Jeezy on this too.

I do like this song, but it's just not a top favorite for me and I prefer so many other songs here. It's still fun.

I love this song but not as much as the songs above it. 

16. Consideration (2016, feat. SZA, prod. by Tyran "Scum" Donaldson + Kuk Harrell, written by Solana Rowe + Tyran Donaldson + Robyn Fenty)

Album: Anti

Rihanna_-_Anti.png

US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard): #13 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consideration_(song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 1

Gigi: 21

Derek: 4

Elliott: 3

Megan: 6

Kaley: 20

Wally: 21

Denise: 20

Chris: 12

Rei: 16

Lily: 3

Andy: 14

Andrew: 5

Amanda: 14

JC: 20

Victoria: 21

Public: 17

Final Average = 12.824

COMMENTS

My favorite Rihanna song of all-time. I feel very betrayed and personally attacked by low rankings from certain individuals. A dream collaboration between two of my favorite artists of all-time. The song was inspired by Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds as well as "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim as it was featured in Insidious. This song was made for me. Literally. There is actually a very interesting and sad story behind Rihanna's acquisition of this song from SZA, since the song was initially meant to be a standout hit on Ctrl. The eerie down-tempo tune on this very dubstep-inspired banger...phenomenal. What a perfect opening track. Rihanna used this song as a declaration of independence, highlighting her worth and value as an artist and business mogul. This is Rihanna declaring that she is breaking free from those that want to hold back her maturation process, as she dominantly states that she is now ready to break away from the record business executives and producers that made her life a living hell as she tried to make this album. What a perfect song. So sad to see it fall already.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, #jeah said:

A standout track from Anti, for sure. I like how it’s short and to the point. I love SZA and it’s a dream collaboration, but I definitely think she was utilized perfectly here. She doesn’t do much but her few lines stand out. I love the minimalist production with the intense percussion. Rihanna’s performance is such a vibe, and I love the yodeling stuff that SZA does throughout haha. This was co-written by SZA, Rihanna, and Tyran Donaldson and was actually intended for SZA’s debut album but ultimately became the opening track of Anti...a decision that was apparently really tough for SZA. I do think this is the perfect introduction to Anti, so I think the right choice was made. It’s breezy, edgy, and punchy all at the same time. Good job to Dee for getting this into the final vote.

I still don't know what we did to deserve a Rihanna/SZA collab. This makes for such a great opener to the album, I feel like not only does it set the vibe of ANTI so well but it's a great introduction to SZA for those who hadn't heard her music, myself included at the time! And Ctrl is now one of my favorite albums so I'm so glad I got to hear her on this and really get into her from there. Another one I didn't think would make top 21 but so happy it did.

this has an interesting beat and I enjoy it a lot, but it is lower due to not being a song I consider ICONIC like everything above Man Down (which is like almost the entire list LOL)

Flawless

Underrated song; really enjoy this one. 

I am least familiar with this song compared to all the rest of the Top 21, most of which I know super well. :haha:  This one not so much, but it's okay for me. I like her voice on it over the melody.

Apologies to Deee for this ranking. I don’t have anything against this song but it’s just the one I like the least and am least familiar with. This song has a cool sound to it. It’s cool how Rihanna and SZA did a song together as I never wold have thought them collaborating.

This song is my least favorite here, that's the only reason why it's at this placement.

Ahhh, it started! :wub:

21. Breaking Dishes : I ranked #13

I think this is such a fun song, and I’ve always loved it. Sad it came in dead last of all of the songs, but I had a feeling some of my opinions would be unpopular :haha:

20. California King Bed: I ranked #19

This is a gorgeous vocal from her, and I do really love the song. I tend to forget about it with so many of her other heavy-hitters in this top 21. 

19. Work: I ranked #15

Glad this made the finals as I do think it is a good representative for some of her later work. This song totally grew on me, as I wasn’t sure I was going to like it when it first came out. 

18. Man Down: I ranked #4 :broken:

This song falls in line with “Drinking Alone” from the Carrie round, “Hands Clean” from the Alanis round, and “Freedom” from the Beyoncé round as the song that I had either forgotten about or just never properly appreciated until doing the rankings that quickly became one of my favorites :heartbounce:. This is such a cool and unique sound from Rihanna, and I’m ridiculously happy it made it to the finals (and my playlists from now until the end of time :haha:).

17. Hard: I ranked #2 :broken:

Noooo! So sad (and a little surprised) to see this end up here. Not at all embarrassed to admit that my best friend and I have “Bad Bitch” playlists for when we need a little boost, and this is 110% on mine! 

16. Consideration: I ranked #20

Sorry to everyone who loves this song. I promise I’m not anti-Anti, it’s just that so many of her earlier songs mean so much more to me since they were released during my high school/college days when I was actually going out and such :haha: Anyways, this song is also very good (literally every song in this Top 21 is), but it just kept sliding further down the list as I was ranking the others. 

Edited by ~*8Kay8*~
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deeee said:

If you aren’t a fan, why comment? Serious question. No need to ruin it for others.

1. Forum is free for everyone to post

2. Like differing opinions ever stopped you from commenting in the Vdeo Game rankdown, for example when you were a host? :haha: