Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART ONE

21. Breakin' Dishes (2007 prod. by Christopher "Tricky" Stewart + Terius "Dream" Nash, written by Christopher "Tricky" Stewart + Thaddis Harrell)

Album: Good Girl Gone Bad

Good_Girl_Gone_Bad.png

US Billboard 200: #2 (Album)

US Top Hip-Hop/R&B Albums (Billboard): #3 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 6x Platinum (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Girl_Gone_Bad

RANKINGS:

Dee: 21

Gigi: 11

Derek: 19

Elliott: 11

Megan: 18

Kaley: 13

Wally: 12

Denise: 6

Chris: 9

Rei: 21

Lily: 12

Andy: 16

Andrew: 19

Amanda: 21

JC: 12

Victoria: 16

Public: 12

Final Average = 14.647

COMMENTS

As the biggest Rihanna fan, Breakin' Dishes is not deserving of a spot in the finals. A super fun jam with a great beat. But easily the least exciting song from Good Girl Gone Bad. At least it ended up in 21st place. I still absolutely love this song, but a lot of these lyrics are stupid.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:58 PM, taylorkat said:

It seems to be an underrated jam.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, *Wallace said:

tenor.gif

Yesss I LOVE and am totally here for “Breakin' Dishes” making it here into the Top 21 as the last song to do so - so thank you Chris/Andrew/Rei/Victoria advancing this gem throughout. I feel certain that “Breakin' Dishes” is my favorite album track and the Rihanna song I am most upset that was never a single. :broken: This song slays and deserves better. I love the fiesty and aggressive attitude of this song. Gosh I have a lot of favorite parts of the song but some of my stand outs would include.

I don't know who you think I am

I'm breakin' dishes up in here

All night (uh huh)

I ain't gonna stop until I see police lights (uh huh)

I'm a fight a man (tonight)

I'm a fight a man (tonight)

I'm a fight a man

A man, on a m-a-a-a-aan

A man, a man, on a m-a-a-a-aan

Oh

And I can't believe hes always out every night and never checks in

Is he cheating? Man I don't know

I don't know who you think I am

(I don't know who you think I am)

But I really don't give a damn right now

(Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh)

If you don't come I'm a huff and puff and

Blow this, Blow this, huh

Blow this, Blow this,

I'm a blow this, blow this, huh

Blow this, Blow this

I'm a blow this, blow this, huh

Blow this house, house down

Dishes, breakin' dishes, breakin' dishes

All SO good! That chorus is soo catchy and addicting! (!) It’s one of those songs that makes me want to break dishes! :giggle: Lol I’m sooo corny but it’s the truth! Can you imagine how epic the music video would have been? Ugh we were so robbed.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, miss denise said:

This is one of my favorite album tracks. It is kind of my theme song when I am in the mood for a song like this...  if you are mad or someone has wronged you, just think about breaking dishes as inspired by Rihanna and you can feel better about things. (!) She's got so much attitude on this and it's fitting. She is mad and making it known! "I'm kicking *** I'm taking names" :bobo:  lol why did I just NOW after this many years find out there is a censored part in that line? My version from the album always had it censored, so I didn't know there was actually a word there. My world has changed. But this is fierce, a jam, and a very necessary song to blow off some steam.  I'M BREAKIN' DISHES UP HERE! ALL NIGHT, UH HUH!  :bobo:(!) 

On 8/19/2020 at 6:44 AM, *Chris said:

One of my favourite from "GGGB" - an underrated song. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, .Rei said:

Flawless

On 8/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, *Lily said:

LOVE that this made it to the final round! I really wanted her to release this as a single, I feel like it would have had a really cool video.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, #jeah said:

I actually pushed for Rude Boy over this song in my group, but now that it’s here...I freakin love this song haha. I always wondered why this wasn’t pushed as a single from GGGB. This is really catchy and fun. RIhanna plays a woman scorned who is tired of her man coming home late and obviously cheating on her. That chorus is ridiculously catchy and this is the best song for the club on GGGB, minus Don’t Stop the Music imo. Love this and am happy it’s in the top 21 (though not at the expense of a few of her iconic singles that I adore).

On 8/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, JC said:

GGGB is amazing, I am literally obsessed with this song and have and could forever dance to the song whenever and wherever, love this SYTYCD Canada dance

20. California King Bed (2010 prod. by The Runners + Kuk Harrell, written by Andrew Harr + Jermaine Jackson + Priscilla Renea + Alex Delicata)

Album: Loud

source.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #37 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #18 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_King_Bed

RANKINGS:

Dee: 19

Gigi: 13

Derek: 13

Elliott: 8

Megan: 19

Kaley: 19

Wally: 14

Denise: 1

Chris: 17

Rei: 19

Lily: 13

Andy: 20

Andrew: 20

Amanda: 8

JC: 2

Victoria: 12

Public: 20

Final Average = 13.941

COMMENTS

An amazing down-tempo ballad that really highlights Rihanna at her vocal peak! Let me also take a second to acknowledge the brilliant composition and production of this song. Delicata on the electric and acoustic guitars?!?! OMFG. I love everything about this song, and it really is a perfect break-up song. Rihanna is so vulnerable, light, sensual, and delicate on this track. I love Rihanna so much that California King Bed is still only my seventh favorite song from Loud. To be completely fair, I much prefer Rihanna when she is dark, masochistic, gritty, raw, explicit, etc. Happy to see this song in the finals, but I would have preferred so many others.

It's okay. I don't go back to it often.

tumblr_ma0eh6FZyJ1r81wtbo1_500.gif

I do wish  I could put “California King Bed” higher for Denise & JC but sadly I just love the other songs even more so I can only put this at #14. :( I do find this song often overlooked and underrated. This is a really gorgeous song and a song that I feel is one of Rihanna’s best vocal performances. When this song came out I did think this was her best vocal ever in a song. I did not know she had that great of a voice and range that she showcased here. So impressive! :omg: The song is really gorgeous with how she sings this - from the softer vulnerable moments to the big belting moments. I really love the pre-chorus and chorus where she sings:

So, how come when I reach out my finger

It feels like more than distance between us?

In this California king bed

We're ten thousand miles apart

I've been California wishing on these stars

For your heart for me

My California king

I also love how she belts out the bridge:

That made everything feel better

And even then my eyes got wetter

So confused wanna ask you if you love me

But I don't wanna seem so weak

Maybe I've been California dreaming

:omg::wub:

I especially love her belting at the end of the song. The music video is real beautiful too and she looks sooo gorgeous in it! :wub:

I think Rihanna's ballads can be overlooked in favor of her uptempos, but she has a lot of amazing of both for me. This is probably my favorite vocal performance of hers. I just love and can feel the emotion and power in her voice throughout this. 😢   The build-up is so effective and ughhh I just get the feels every time. The structure of this song is perfection too. The beautiful guitar with just Rihanna's vocals right at the start = ❤️  "Chest to chest, nose to nose, palm to palm, we were always just that close" The build-up is quick, but still so seamless. "So how come when I reach out my finger It feels like more than distance between us" bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif Ugh, the chorus is so powerful, emotional, and romantic, yet painful. "I'll be California wishing on these stars for your heart for me" 😢   "With the curtains drawn and a little last night on these sheets" is one of my personal favorite parts. :wub: :omg: With all the power in the chorus, it somehow builds up even more in the bridge and it's amazing! It just is. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif I want to quote and shout the whole thing, but I have to refrain myself here. But my very favorite parts are: "You turned around and gave me one last touch" and the end "So confused wanna ask you if you love me, but I don't wanna seem so weak, maybe I've been California dreaming" AND ALL THAT BELTING THERE AND THROUGH TO THE END :omg:  I am forever slayed each and every time I listen to this. I will never not be. And that guitar absolutely kills it at the end too. Ugh. I feel this song can be so underappreciated and hope I'm wrong and that doesn't reflect in the overall ranking. I have a bad feeling this will go the way as all my other #1s have so far in this game. :broken:  Regardless, this song is amazing and I love it so so much.

Great vocals on the song but the song never had the same impact as the songs above it. 

Flawless

Beautiful song! I love the guitar on it and how it shows similarities to these old-school rock power ballads but still staying true to Rihanna's sound.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, #jeah said:

Aww I was hoping and praying Denise would advance Hate That I Love You instead of this. :haha: Another song of Rih’s that I’ve never really been able to connect with, even if I do get the appeal. Lyrically it’s got a great theme and the chorus is very powerful, but melodically it’s a bit abrasive to me and the composition is a bit cheesy. Like it just feels like a generic power ballad that could have been written for anyone. #sorry I do see this ranking high though, but this is genuinely one of my least favorite songs out of the bunch.

Riri belting out this gorgeous, amazing ballad literally gives me a life worth living, I could listen to her sing this all day and all night. It's so beautiful ❤️ and just makes your heart so full.

19. Work (2016, feat. Drake, prod. by Boi-1da + Noah "40" Shebib + Kuk Harrell, written by Jahron Brathwaite + Matthew Samuels + Allen Ritter + Rupert Thomas Jr. + Aubrey Graham + Robyn Fenty + Monte Moir)

Album: Anti

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #1 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Dance/Mix Show Airplay (Billboard): #2 (Single)

US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #8 (Single)

US Rhythmic (Billboard): #1 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): 6x Platinum (Single)

US Hot 100 All-Time Charts (Billboard): #308 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(Rihanna_song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 2

Gigi: 19

Derek: 8

Elliott: 19

Megan: 16

Kaley: 15

Wally: 2

Denise: 17

Chris: 21

Rei: 15

Lily: 15

Andy: 6

Andrew: 18

Amanda: 6

JC: 21

Victoria: 14

Public: 14

Final Average = 13.412

COMMENTS

A minimalist dancehall banger. I have decided that I will not unleash my rant about how dirty Anti was done in this game just quite yet. But there is a rant coming! Imagine a Black woman bringing Dancehall back into mainstream American music and being openly proud about displaying her West Indian culture and she even speaks patois?!?! And that song goes on to be one of the most successfully commercial songs?! Your faves could never! So proud that I was able to help bring this song to the finals.

I used to like this song, but now, it grates on me. Watch Celine Dion's impression of Rihanna singing this, it's great.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I was undecided and contemplated on either advancing “Work” or “S&M” for my solo choice round pick. I LOVE both but I had to go with one. Then I ultimately regretted not choosing “Work” but am glad Dee/Amanda/Kaley/JC’s group sent it through into the finals. :wub: “Work” is such a hot and fun jam and I love it sooo much. :bobo: That definitely wasn’t the case at first as I didn’t care for this the first few times. I do get how this song can be polarizing but I’m glad i saw the light. Honestly i don’t know if “Work” is my actual 2nd favorite Rihanna song. It’s really hard to say and my whole Top 5 (5-2 was so tricky to rank), but I feel this song needs the most help in rankings of my Top 5 sooo I’ll rank it the highest. Also this song is my favorite from the Anti era.

I also love Rihanna & Drake collabos so i am glad this one got to be in here! :wub: Rihanna brings the hotness in how she sings this song. I love the Dancehall feel of the song too which suits Rihanna so well. :wub: Some of my favorite parts includes her singing:

I believed all of your dreams, adoration

You took my heart and my keys and my patience

You took my heart on my sleeve for decoration

You mistaken my love I brought for you for foundation

All that I wanted from you was to give me

Something that I never had

Something that you've never seen

Something that you've never been!

Work, work, work, work, work, work

He said me haffi

Work, work, work, work, work, work!

He see me do mi

Dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt!

So me put in

Work, work, work, work, work, work

Ner ner ner ner ner ner!

When yuh ago learn learn learn learn learn learn!

Before the tables turn turn turn turn turn turn!

If I get another chance to

I will never, no never neglect you

:bobo:

LOL I love all of her gibberish or tough to understand singing of dirt dirt diry dirt / ner ner ner / turn turn turn and all of that. :lmao: I’m loving Drake’s rap verse here. I especially love the line where he raps: If you had a twin I would still choose you. :giggle: I also love how this song has two music videos - a club party video with lots of people in it and an intimate video with only Rihanna & Drake. I don’t know which I prefer but I love both.

I wasn't huge on this song when it was most popular. The chorus made me a bit crazy and I also couldn't figure out a single thing she said besides "work" :dead: It has grown on me over time though. I really like some of the way she sings on the verses and that lower register of her voice at times. ❤️  

I don't mind it but it's easily one of my least favourite of hers. 

Flawless

I love Work, it's one of my lesser faves on ANTI, but it's a great fun dancehall number which is instantly catchy and you can't help but dance to it. Drake fits on this track really well too, I still remember when this dropped and it was EVERYWHERE, as deserved!

On 8/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, #jeah said:

I mean…...I get why people don’t like this song. It’s repetitive, it’s down-tempo, it features Drake. I get it. But this song is just SO great imo. It is so effortless and Rihanna just sounds like she does not give a fck here. I will be the first to say, I am not a fan of Drake and typically not a fan of his music. But for some reason, his collabs with Rihanna always work for me. I mean three of my favorite Rihanna songs are Work, What’s My Name, and Take Care. They just have this tangible chemistry that always shows up when they work together (ugh I wanted to talk about WMN so bad, maybe another time). And imo they’ve never sounded more in sync than on this song. As we know by now I always stan Reggae!RIhanna and there’s a bit of that in this song, mixed with the dancehall stuff she does so well and a bit of standard R&B is here too. Culturally this is more Caribbean influenced than American EDM/dance influenced so that’s probably why a lot of people don’t connect with this song. I’ve always felt it was Rihanna at her most authentic. Drake’s lyrics are a bit cringe in parts (If you had a twin I would still choose you…...wtf? Sir this is a Wendy’s), but his IDGAF attitude matches Rihanna’s perfectly here. I’m SO glad this made the final vote as it’s always been my favorite song from Anti (well, between this and Kiss It Better) and we need a Drake collab here!

LOL it is ridiculous this is very last in my ranking because I still really love dancing to this song and bopping to it on the radio, but just in terms of this list ranked against all my other favorites, it ends up being dead last which kind of makes sense that I was dissenting vote on this one before I was outvoted in that final round, but happy for its fans for it making the top 21 and TO BE CLEAR, I STILL LOVE THIS SONG TOO even though I ranked this song 21st

I didn't expect Breakin' Dishes to rank last or for me to be the highest ranker of it.  Work is also a lot lower than I expected.

But of course my #1 only comes in at #20..... apparently my #1 song will never not be in the bottom few spots of these rankdowns. :( :/ 

• Sad 1

California King Bed ROBBED :( Also sad about Breakin Dishes

Obvs ok with Work being out early :giggle:but to be fair I still enjoy Work, I forgot that I had it dead last I thought it made it above one song, but honestly I think like 18 songs I was like ICONIC! So it was impossible to compete. I will literally be happy with at least 18 songs winning LOL possibly 19 I can't remember