Country music:IDF's enemy

Misirlou

I know the title is not dramatic at all, but I wanna know if you guys geniuenly dislike country music as a whole, or you just dislike the advantage that the country artists (particularly older males and young girls) have on this show. (S16 for exanple)

Personally, I enjoy country music quite a lot, I'm not big on bro country, even though it has some great guitar slinging there. I love Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Chris Stapleton, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, etc. I do think that several country singers have outlasted some of my favorites due to their popularity with Minivan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bro country's the really frustrating part of country music. I can handle some of the classics and certain male vocalists with actually great voices, but the Sam Hunts/Luke Combs/FGL/Morgan Wallens are annoying though and  they're the first things that come to mind when I think of country music.

Female country as a whole is a lot better for me. I wasn't raised on country (except when Dixie Chicks and Shania Twain got thrown into the mix somewhere...) but occasionally I'll find myself going through a bunch of 90s/early 2000s female country videos on Youtube and enjoying it.

The singer/songwriter vibe of country music is something I can appreciate, but with the right vocalist. The only country within the past few years I think I've personally saved on Spotify is Kacey Musgraves' album (even if it does lean a lot more pop), some Chris Stapleton, and the recent Dixie Chicks singles.

But to answer your question, it's more the advantage. A mediocre country performance will beat an outstanding R&B or pop vocal 75% of the time at least, and that's frustrating.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

A mediocre country performance will beat an outstanding R&B or pop vocal 75% of the time at least, and that's frustrating.

As someone who was raised on country, "bro-country" didn't become a big thing until I was in late middle school/early high school; the two camps within the genre (the bro-country vs. the more traditional '90s sound) are interesting to observe, since some are staunch fans of one or the other and it's polarized a lot of casual country fans. Bro country also frustrates me because if I say I like country, that's immediately where people's minds go - give me a Chris Stapleton/Travis Tritt/Trace Adkins/Alan Jackson/Collin Raye/Lone Star style of song before you even suggest Florida Georgia Line.

The other frustrating thing is the lack of female air time - for every Carrie Underwood or Kacey Musgraves song my local radio plays when I'm driving, I'll get three to four FGL/Sam Hunt/Kip Moore/etc. songs and it's irritating because there's some great female country singers out there (Maddie & Tae, Shania Twain, Miranda Lambert, Lauren Alaina, Danielle Bradberry, and Chevel Shepherd are just a few that come to mind) that struggle to get playtime unless you dig for it on Spotify or Pandora.

• Like 1

Give me unique, and special country like Faith Hill or artists in the past like Lauren Duski, Spensha Baker, Keisha Renee, and I couldn't complain tbh. Although when its the same generic voice that sounds like millions of other hillbilly and twangy country artists obtaining a finale ticket and Top 2 at least, I get incredibly angry. Especially on Blake's team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echoap said:

I don't hate country music, I just hate the same dude with the same type of voice  getting a free pass to the Finale every season. 😤

I love REAL country music, but not that stuff they play on country radio theses days.  The only two country males I've really liked on the Voice are Adam Wakefield and Sundance.  That said, you nailed my frustration with the cookie cutter country males we often get on the Voice right on the head.  

• Like 2

Give me unique, and special country like Faith Hill or artists in the past like Lauren Duski, Spensha Baker, Keisha Renee, Marybeth Byrd, Kyndal Inskeep, Gracee Shriver and I couldn't complain tbh. Although when its the same generic voice that sounds like millions of other hillbilly and twangy country artists obtaining a finale ticket and Top 2 at least, I get incredibly angry. Especially on Blake's team.

Edited by QueenMae16

7 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

As someone who was raised on country, "bro-country" didn't become a big thing until I was in late middle school/early high school; the two camps within the genre (the bro-country vs. the more traditional '90s sound) are interesting to observe, since some are staunch fans of one or the other and it's polarized a lot of casual country fans. Bro country also frustrates me because if I say I like country, that's immediately where people's minds go - give me a Chris Stapleton/Travis Tritt/Trace Adkins/Alan Jackson/Collin Raye/Lone Star style of song before you even suggest Florida Georgia Line.

The other frustrating thing is the lack of female air time - for every Carrie Underwood or Kacey Musgraves song my local radio plays when I'm driving, I'll get three to four FGL/Sam Hunt/Kip Moore/etc. songs and it's irritating because there's some great female country singers out there (Maddie & Tae, Shania Twain, Miranda Lambert, Lauren Alaina, Danielle Bradberry, and Chevel Shepherd are just a few that come to mind) that struggle to get playtime unless you dig for it on Spotify or Pandora.

I've been saying essentially this for almost decade now.  If the entire bro-country catalog caught on fire....I'd grab the marshmallows and a stick. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

I love REAL country music, but not that stuff they play on country radio theses days.  The only two country males I've really liked on the Voice are Adam Wakefield and Sundance.  That said, you nailed my frustration with the cookie cutter country males we often get on the Voice right on the head.  

Adam Wakefield is a favorite of mine and Sundance was pretty good as well. 

I agree with a lot of you guys that the twangy voiced dudes can get a little annoying, especially when you get a lot of them in one season, but something I´ve noticed quite a lot is that the country artists (male or female) tend to sometimes outperform several artists from other genres. They may not be your cup of tea, but most of them are consistent . Even though I agree that S16 had way too many country artists on the T13, but if you take a look at the playoffs, other than Maelyn, Presley and Shawn, the best performers and the ones who mostly stayed on pitch were the country males. Same in S15, Chris Kroeze remained solid as a rock through the entire season, and so did Sundance on S11.

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

I agree with a lot of you guys that the twangy voiced dudes can get a little annoying, especially when you get a lot of them in one season, but something I´ve noticed quite a lot is that the country artists (male or female) tend to sometimes outperform several artists from other genres. They may not be your cup of tea, but most of them are consistent . Even though I agree that S16 had way too many country artists on the T13, but if you take a look at the playoffs, other than Maelyn, Presley and Shawn, the best performers and the ones who mostly stayed on pitch were the country males. Same in S15, Chris Kroeze remained solid as a rock through the entire season, and so did Sundance on S11.

I respect consistency, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when an artist in a vein we don't normally get in the show gets overlooked in favor of the country vote.

The best examples I have occur if we go back to season 9, where Madi Davis and Amy Vachal were more "out of the box" in terms of musical style - Amy got the iTunes bonus every week but the live playoffs (even topping Jordan Smith in the Top 11 week) and Madi got the bonus twice, with her first time on the chart beating out a country artist the same age as her. Yet in the semifinals, Barrett Baber put out arguably his weakest performance and was bussed, but still got voted into the finale over Amy (whose birthday present was instant elimination) and Madi (who lost the instant save). 

6 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I respect consistency, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when an artist in a vein we don't normally get in the show gets overlooked in favor of the country vote.

The best examples I have occur if we go back to season 9, where Madi Davis and Amy Vachal were more "out of the box" in terms of musical style - Amy got the iTunes bonus every week but the live playoffs (even topping Jordan Smith in the Top 11 week) and Madi got the bonus twice, with her first time on the chart beating out a country artist the same age as her. Yet in the semifinals, Barrett Baber put out arguably his weakest performance and was bussed, but still got voted into the finale over Amy (whose birthday present was instant elimination) and Madi (who lost the instant save). 

Yeah, I agree on that one for sure. Obviously not all country artists have been consistent through their run, but I just put some examples that I have noticed that have been. Barrett had people that season lol, in a way this is the man who outlasted EAR in the playoffs even when she hit top 10 in Itunes.

Country is my favorite genre, but more often than not, I don’t support the country favorites on the show. I look for something unique in tone or style, and they often show up sounding like numerous other contestants who’ve been on that stage. I feel the same way about the big voice divas that we get every season. They all blend together after a while. 

Bro country isn’t even a thing in country anymore (even fgl has moved on), and we get almost none of it on the show. 

I don’t think the same country male every year, is really different then the male - constantly using falsetto & runs R&B singer, and we get an indie female almost every year too, plus the old soul teenager that Blake compares to Sinatra, vocal divas etc. 

I think the issue is a) they tend to get far and b) idf isn’t into what they do well - good country is more about the lyrics then the vocal gymnastics 

• Like 2

Just now, seak05 said:

Bro country isn’t even a thing in country anymore (even fgl has moved on), and we get almost none of it on the show. 

I don’t think the same country male every year, is really different then the male - constantly using falsetto & runs R&B singer, and we get an indie female almost every year too, plus the old soul teenager that Blake compares to Sinatra, vocal divas etc. 

I think the issue is a) they tend to get far and b) idf isn’t into what they do well - good country is more about the lyrics then the vocal gymnastics 

This is mainly the issue for IDF. Country is more favored on this show that R&B or indie as a whole, and that´s why people, not just in IDF, but on Mjsblog as well, sigh at the sight of a country male, because he´s probably gonna be a finalist. It sort of kills the excitement of watching the contestants battle, since they know the country male will prevail.

On the other hand, country is also the least popular genre on IDF, I know a lot of people don´t really hate it but they definitely prefer other genres over it, so that combination of least favorite and sure to be in the finale, is what IDF seems to dislike. 

IDF also is not a big fan of male R&B singers in general , but the finale isn´t as viable for them as it is for country males. 

6 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

This is mainly the issue for IDF. Country is more favored on this show that R&B or indie as a whole, and that´s why people, not just in IDF, but on Mjsblog as well, sigh at the sight of a country male, because he´s probably gonna be a finalist. It sort of kills the excitement of watching the contestants battle, since they know the country male will prevail.

On the other hand, country is also the least popular genre on IDF, I know a lot of people don´t really hate it but they definitely prefer other genres over it, so that combination of least favorite and sure to be in the finale, is what IDF seems to dislike. 

IDF also is not a big fan of male R&B singers in general , but the finale isn´t as viable for them as it is for country males. 

Ugh, Chris winning over Lauren still gets me pissed off! how the f-

The one time that enough people ditch the country artist on Blake's team to have the generic R&B singer the win.

1 minute ago, QueenMae16 said:

Ugh, Chris winning over Lauren still gets me pissed off! how the f-

The one time that enough people ditch the country artist on Blake's team to have the generic R&B singer the win.

The 20 something females are at a disadvantage with this audience, even when up against a male R&B singer. 

I'm pretty apathetic on country music, but there are some acts I like. I've noticed most of my favourites on The Voice lately are country-inspired, so there's that. :haha: Generally, I tend to like the "country" singers that are more Southern Rock/Southern Blues inspired, or more of a country-pop.

Bro country needs to die a quick death, though.

Edited by Elliott
  • Haha 1

I never really listened to country growing up, but I definitely don't hate it. The thing I don't like about country on the Voice though is that I feel like in the real world, (or outside of the Voice fanbase) country isn't really popular at all. Maybe it is in the South, but I've lived in the Midwest and Northeast and everyone hates it. Therefore, I feel like the advantage that country artists get on the show is detrimental to many other artists who might actually have the potential to win and become huge popstars or something else. 

4 minutes ago, Carlos3500 said:

I never really listened to country growing up, but I definitely don't hate it. The thing I don't like about country on the Voice though is that I feel like in the real world, (or outside of the Voice fanbase) country isn't really popular at all. Maybe it is in the South, but I've lived in the Midwest and Northeast and everyone hates it. Therefore, I feel like the advantage that country artists get on the show is detrimental to many other artists who might actually have the potential to win and become huge popstars or something else. 

Yeah, sadly the one area where I watch intently on The Voice is the USA-hillbilly bro-country voters. Lmao, why do I continue to watch?

9 minutes ago, Carlos3500 said:

Rock, pop and country are the three most popular genres in the US. I live in Minnesota. Country is fairly popular here. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/442354/music-genres-preferred-consumers-usa/

We’ve had plenty of non-country winners. None of them are huge pop stars. In fact, the two most successful winners are country singers. Your logic is flawed. 

It’s pretty funny that the single most successful artist to come off the Voice is indeed a twangy-sounding  male country singer who leans towards the bro country lane. Yet on the show he only sang one country song and that’s what got him eliminated.

3 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

It’s pretty funny that the single most successful artist to come off the Voice is indeed a twangy-sounding  male country singer who leans towards the bro country lane. Yet on the show he only sang one country song and that’s what got him eliminated.

Sweet,sweet irony 😂

13 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Adam didn’t look very impressed. 

https://www.metatube.com/en/videos/233606/The-Voice-USA-2014-Morgan-Wallen-Stay/

“leans toward the bro-country lane” is an understatement. 

Edited by TeamAudra