Jump to content
idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Misirlou

Country music:IDF's enemy

Recommended Posts

Just now, VintageVoice said:

If they hadn't pre-recorded S6's playoffs, who knows how the public might have voted?


Hard to say, but that was pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:


Hard to say, but that was pretty bad. 

And being one of four country options, it's not like Minivan wouldn't have had people to root for if he left. Side note - does anyone know if he talks about his time on the show now six years out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

If they hadn't pre-recorded S6's playoffs, who knows how the public might have voted?

I doubt he would have gotten the PV over Christina (RIP), or even Delvin, who was pretty well regarded at the time due to his battle with Josh, plus Minivan´s country choice that season was Jake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nah, Morgan isn’t bro-country. Being a guy & country doesn’t make you bro-country. He is twangy, but he’s also a country singer. Jon Pardi is very twangy. 
 

his last 3 singles:

whiskey glasses

chasin you

more then my hometown (next & it’s going to be a big hit)

 

I think some of you all just classify everything as bro-country, but bf country is the new thing 😂

 

(also Morgan wasn’t country on the show, he has credited the vocal coaches though with helping him)

Edited by seak05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont even like country but its so utterly obvious that some people are just salty that their favorites lost to country

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Nah, Morgan isn’t bro-country. Being a guy & country doesn’t make you bro-country. He is twangy, but he’s also a country singer. Jon Pardi is very twangy. 
 

his last 3 singles:

whiskey glasses

chasin you

more then my hometown (next & it’s going to be a big hit)

 

I think some of you all just classify everything as bro-country, but bf country is the new thing 😂

 

(also Morgan wasn’t country on the show, he has credited the vocal coaches though with helping him)


Sorry, but I’ve listened to his album. He’s a poster boy for bro-country. LOL. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spurrious said:

 

I love REAL country music, but not that stuff they play on country radio theses days.  The only two country males I've really liked on the Voice are Adam Wakefield and Sundance.  That said, you nailed my frustration with the cookie cutter country males we often get on the Voice right on the head.  

Taste for days! Country soul guys are fairly different from the usual "next George Strait" that we get every season. Adam's run on the show was impressive, and Sundance thrived with songs that would've sent home the average Team Blake finalist. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, seak05 said:

Bro country isn’t even a thing in country anymore (even fgl has moved on), and we get almost none of it on the show. 


I don’t think the same country male every year, is really different then the male - constantly using falsetto & runs R&B singer, and we get an indie female almost every year too, plus the old soul teenager that Blake compares to Sinatra, vocal divas etc. 

 

I think the issue is a) they tend to get far and b) idf isn’t into what they do well - good country is more about the lyrics then the vocal gymnastics 

 

Bro country may be dead but it descendant is called Boyfriend Country and it is every bit as lyrically shallow and even more exclusionary of female artists.  Current "Radio Country" is not much better....it's more like slightly less bad.  True, they have moved on from objectifying women as toys, to wishing they could grow up to be like mother her.  Who is lyrically representing the complex, rainbow of emotion, humans we all know women to be? The boys don't much sing about that (Your Cheatin' Heart would be a non-starter) and the women who do, don't get airtime. They will sing about themselves as complex and hard to understand but not about women.  IMHO, the new stuff is just as thematic as the Bro stuff with but a different checklist. I will admit it doesn't piss me off as much and the overall sound is slightly less pop.  Yes, I am generalizing a bit, but better is still a long way off. 

 

Dang....sorry for the rant.  What radio has done to country music chaffs my keister.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:


Sorry, but I’ve listened to his album. He’s a poster boy for bro-country. LOL. 


Yah, I’ve been following up on MW, and there’s a whole lotta ‘let’s drink beer outta Sippy cups top down Saturday night at the river’.

His version of Cover me up is heartbreaking ly beautiful, but he is def not doing Americana these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

^^
 

“Boyfriend Country”

 

I’m so out of the loop, I didn’t know what that meant. Personally, I think it sucks. 
 

Trigger goes into in depth to explain it and the negative consequences for female artists. 
 

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/move-over-bro-country-boyfriend-country-is-here/

Yes, it’s moved from bro country to bf country. And it’s still not my cup of country tea. But trigger is a misogynistic prick. So if people would like to learn about it without supporting trigger, Grady Smith has a nice YouTube video 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seak05 said:

Yes, it’s moved from bro country to bf country. And it’s still not my cup of country tea. But trigger is a misogynistic prick. So if people would like to learn about it without supporting trigger, Grady Smith has a nice YouTube video 

 


That’s a good video. But, he didn’t mention the negative effects “Boyfriend Country” has on female airplay, as Trigger did (and always does).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


That’s a good video. But, he didn’t mention the negative effects “Boyfriend Country” has on female airplay, as Trigger did (and always does).

There are several other places that do, and don’t have articles complaining about Maren’s wardrobe choices as a reason she’s not country. The woman nashville Twitter account is a great follow. 

Edited by seak05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, seak05 said:

There are several other articles that do, and don’t have articles complaining about Maren’s wardrobe choices as a reason she’s not country. 


I don’t know what he said about her wardrobe, but I’m pretty sure that isn’t the reason he doesn’t think she’s country. She isn’t country. He’s rips on males for passing off pop music as country, and doesn’t give females a pass for doing the same thing. I’m totally with him on that. He’s actually much harder on males. 
 

EDIT: His review of “Girl,” which is exactly as I expected. No mention of her wardrobe. https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/album-review-maren-morriss-girl/

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You must have missed this one, not even a review, pre-review https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/if-maren-morris-thinks-countrys-too-restrictive-she-can-get-the-hell-out/

 

he’s also often talked about music as for women (When written by women), as to why men won’t like it, without ever discussing the converse etc 

 

I agree with him a lot on music, but he’s crossed the line and made it way to personal. Some of his male pieces have also gone waaaay over the line. As well as his no politics in music, but somehow praising the confederate flag doesn’t count etc. 

Edited by seak05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, seak05 said:

You must have missed this one, not even a review, pre-review https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/if-maren-morris-thinks-countrys-too-restrictive-she-can-get-the-hell-out/

 

he’s also often talked about music as for women (When written by women), as to why men won’t like it, without ever discussing the converse etc 

 

I agree with him a lot on music, but he’s crossed the line and made it way to personal. Some of his male pieces have also gone waaaay over the line. As well as his no politics in music, but somehow praising the confederate flag doesn’t count etc. 

 

He was responding to something she said. Honestly, he has a point, even though he could have made it in a different way. That’s not the main issue he has with Maren.

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

 

He was responding to something she said. Honestly, he has a point, even though he could have made it in a different way. But, that’s not the main issue he has with Maren.

 

Agree.  She could have posed in a Dorothy dress from the Wizard of Oz and his comments would not have changed.  Maren is moving the country radio needle more towards pop and that is why he is so dismissive of her....and anyone else doing the same. 

 

For all his faults....and he is a arrogant SOB....Trigger is the most consistent presence defending the soul of country music.  So there's that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this has become a Trigger discussion as opposed to the voice discussion. Suffice it to say, I think he has totally crossed the line in his reviews numerous times. from attacks on people's clothing, to wishing bodily harm. Never mind his complete inability to admit that sometimes he's wrong, and his shit does stink too (see his attack on Austin for cancelling South by soutwest, which turns out was incredibly smart). His criticisms also totally overlook that pop-country has always been a thing, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson both have pop grammys. 

 

I think you can argue for the soul of country music, and point out the blatant sexism, without resorting to the nastiness and personal vendetta's his blog has become, and I think there are people out there who do it far better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I feel like this has become a Trigger discussion as opposed to the voice discussion. Suffice it to say, I think he has totally crossed the line in his reviews numerous times. from attacks on people's clothing, to wishing bodily harm. Never mind his complete inability to admit that sometimes he's wrong, and his shit does stink too (see his attack on Austin for cancelling South by soutwest, which turns out was incredibly smart). His criticisms also totally overlook that pop-country has always been a thing, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson both have pop grammys. 

 

I think you can argue for the soul of country music, and point out the blatant sexism, without resorting to the nastiness and personal vendetta's his blog has become, and I think there are people out there who do it far better.


And yet you still read it. 
 

I agree he can be brutal at times, but I enjoy that about him. Very few people can unleash like that guy. He’s a very talented writer. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, circling back around to the topic at hand....the precept of this thread is incorrect.  Country Music is not the enemy of IDF.  The demographics of the audience is, in this context, the IDF anti-hero.  I'm hatin' on minivan for sending Amy Vachal home too early.  Country music had nothing to do with that.  I'm hoping everyone learns to recognize who the real enemy is. Yes, real country music will often make you cry...but not like THAT!  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seak05 said:

You must have missed this one, not even a review, pre-review https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/if-maren-morris-thinks-countrys-too-restrictive-she-can-get-the-hell-out/

 

he’s also often talked about music as for women (When written by women), as to why men won’t like it, without ever discussing the converse etc 

 

I agree with him a lot on music, but he’s crossed the line and made it way to personal. Some of his male pieces have also gone waaaay over the line. As well as his no politics in music, but somehow praising the confederate flag doesn’t count etc. 

Clicking on that article sent me down like 10 different articles/reviews/opinion pieces and now I dislike country at least 7% more, so thanks for that. :haha:

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spurrious said:

So, circling back around to the topic at hand....the precept of this thread is incorrect.  Country Music is not the enemy of IDF.  The demographics of the audience is, in this context, the IDF anti-hero.  I'm hatin' on minivan for sending Amy Vachal home too early.  Country music had nothing to do with that.  I'm hoping everyone learns to recognize who the real enemy is. Yes, real country music will often make you cry...but not like THAT!  

 

 

Yeah, I agree that the title of the thread wasn´t reflective of the issue here, but at least the question was answered here: IDF dislikes the advantages the country dudes have on the show rather than disliking country music by itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...