Songs Performed Once - and 'Never' Again

Bouli

5 hours ago, season1 said:

Several of Danielle's competition songs were not performed again (and IMO shouldn't be performed on The Voice again because I will forever compare them to Danielle.)

Maybe It Was Memphis

Heads Carolina, Tails California

Who I Am

Please Remember Me

Born To Fly

Shake the Sugar Tree

maybe it was memphis was perform by adam cunningham if im not mistaken

There are a lot of songs never performed again on The Voice. I will just be mentioning 20 of them.

1. Both Sides Now - Addison Agen

2. Bette Davis Eyes - Chloe Kohanski

3. Call Me - Chloe Kohanski

4. Tell Me Why - Lauren Duski

5. Lord, I Hope this Day is Good - Lauren Duski

6. Somewhere in my Broken Heart - Lauren D.

7. Speed of Sound - Noah Mac

8. Wade in the Water - Mia Boostrom

9. Defying Gravity - Felicia Temple

10. Loca - Monique Abadie

11. One Night Only - Kyla Jade

12. Sweet Sweet Baby - Kyla Jade

13. Me and Jesus - Sundance Head

14. Space Cowboy - Chevel Shepherd

15. Over You - Cassadee Pope

16. Me Too - Kennedy Holmes

17. Fallingwater - Maelyn Jarmon

18. Runnin Down A Dream - Ricky Duran

19. Electric Love - Noah Mac

20. Hide and Seek - Christina Grimmie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ashwinner said:

Tate Brusa's pitchy version says hi... ill forgive you for not remembering cause tbh who would want to remember (jk jk he wasn't that horrible, but no one can even compare to maelyn)

Although I loved Maelyn's version of The Scientist, it was Holly Henry (Season 5) who made me fall in love with the song. 

Edited by Dalton Eduardo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, FloorWax said:

didn't Darby Walker from S11 do it before her (albeit pretty horribly)

I just remembered this morning that someone else had done the song lol. Thanks for the correction! And yeah, she did, during the Top 11. It put her in the Bottom 2 and she went home afterwards. I don't remember anything about her performance and whether it was good or not, but I do remember not liking her style at all when she was on the show, so it probably wasn't good lol.

12 hours ago, mjdolorico said:

Why are people posting performances that don't fit the theme of the thread? We get it, your snowflake did well with that song.

Honestly, in my case, I keep forgetting that some of these songs have been done before. I REALLY thought Kyla was the only person to sing "You Don't Own Me." I honestly forgot Darby Walker covered it. I woke up this morning and remembered, but someone had already commented it yesterday. :haha: I can't blame others for doing the same and forgetting that other people have performed some of these songs before.

9 hours ago, Someone648 said:

I don't personally agree with the whole "one person absolutely slayed this and nobody else should ever try it again..." idea, but anybody who tries to perform these songs definitely has a standard to live up to, or they have to somehow make it their own (ex: Alisan's version of Blue Bayou is obviously one of the top auditions of all time, but I thought Karli's version in S13 was gorgeous in her own way because she's a completely different vocal style than Alisan. Same with Noah & Mikaela's version of Electric Love. Same with Noah & SandyRedd's versions of River.)

In theory, someone can outdo a phenomenal cover of a song on one of these shows, but you're right that it's extremely hard to live up to. Example being Alisan. Perfect example. Same when Makenzie Thomas (S15) sang "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls, which Davon Fleming sang. I thought Davon's performance was one of the all-time greatest in the history of the show, and Makenzie did a great job with it, but I had a hard time getting into it and appreciating it because of my constant mental comparisons to Davon, who I thought was superior.

Now, though, I'm mad at myself for not remembering one more "Performed Once, and Never Again" song.

For better: Chris Blue - "Superstition." Also, Chris Blue - "Rhythm Nation." Good LORD, if ANY songs were truly officially retired after the single time one guy performed them... 🔥

Also, there are different ways to perform a song.

For example, Hallelujah is one of the most repeated songs ever - and often times, when performed..it is excellent. 

Matthew Schuler's performance of Hallelujah is still, IMO, the best Voice performance of all time. It's just musical, performance, and emotional perfection all the way through..and one interesting tidbit is that he sang a different verse than most people sing when they perform it, which further separates itself from the pack. 

But then you have Jordan Smith and Maelyn's amazing performances of the song..

• Like 2

For Worse :

High Hopes (Patd) - Joana and Matthew's battle. 

The song is super hard to sing live, it's so wordy and rangey. When this song is performed in a competition, people would expect to hear that C6 note towards the end, which is very hard to pull off, even for Brendon. Joana and Matthew dodged that note iirc. 

And even if you can get all the words and the notes right, you still need to have great stage persona and work the stage. 

On 4/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, Dalton Eduardo said:

There are a lot of songs never performed again on The Voice. I will just be mentioning 20 of them.

wade in the water was done by LB Crew, and Electric Love was done by Mikaela Astel. I am only familiar with recent seasons, so I'm guessing some of the others are also repeats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ashwinner said:

wade in the water was done by LB Crew, and Electric Love was done by Mikaela Astel. I am only familiar with recent seasons, so I'm guessing some of the others are also repeats.

I have to admit that Electric Love and Wade in the Water are repeats. I overlooked the LB Crew and Mikaela performances, my bad. But I'm sure the rest were not, that's why I included them here. By the way, only Cassadee Pope, Monique Abadie and Christina Grimmie were from the earlier seasons, the rest were from later seasons.

Edited by Dalton Eduardo

On 4/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, Dalton Eduardo said:

Wade in the Water- ehem. LB Crew says hi.

Electric Love- Mikaela Astel says hi too.

Edited by JOMZ
I'm too late to correct you. LMAO

I would've said Hold On We're Going Home for Christina Grimmie or How to Love, but Nick Hagelin and Mark Isaiah had to ruin those, but here are some that come to mind:

Here Comes Goodbye- Brynn Cartelli

Space Cowboy- Chevel Shepherd

One Night Only- Kyla Jade

Fallingwater- Maelyn Jarmon (basically the only song that hasn't been done by someone else)

Passionfruit- Jej Vinson

The Blower's Daughter- Matt McAndrew

My Body- Will Breman

Lucky- Addison Agen

Did I Ever Love You- Ali Caldwell

I'd Just Love to Lay You Down- Barrett Baber

Somewhere in My Broken Heart- Lauren Duski

Take Me to the King- Chris Blue

We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off- Ellie Lawrence

basically every song Rose Short did that hasn't already been covered (WHYDFML, God's Country, Border Song...)

Get On Your Feet- Joana Martinez

Fancy- Reagan James

Caribbean Queen- Shane Q

Season 5 is full of these, heck, a majority of the entire Top 12 has at least one. These aren't songs that shouldn't not be done again, but they have only been done once so far.

Austin Jenckes:

It's A Great Day To Be Alive

Your Love

Jonny Gray:

Another Day In Paradise

Bittersweet Symphony

Refugee

All These Things That I've Done

Kat Robichaud:

She Keeps Me Warm

Sail

You Oughta Know

Tessanne Chin:

Underneath It All

Caroline Pennell:

The Way I Am

Leaving On A Jet Plane

Jacquie Lee:

Stompa

Cole Vosbury:

Movin' On Up

Africa

James Wolpert:

Love Interruption

Fell In Love With A Girl

Matthew Schuler:

My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em' Up)

7 hours ago, rp3598 said:

Get On Your Feet- Joana Martinez

Fancy- Reagan James

Caribbean Queen- Shane Q

Did you separate them by amazing one-time performances / songs that should NEVER be done again? Because all of those performances were pretty great except the last three. "Get On Your Feet," "Fancy," and "Caribbean Queen" should NEVER be done again. :haha:

Reagan's was a shame, too, because it was a pretty creative arrangement. But she didn't have the breath control to pull off the rapid-fire raps. Meanwhile, Joana could do NOTHING to salvage that song, and neither could Shane with his song.

6 hours ago, Grey_Raine said:

Season 5 is full of these, heck, a majority of the entire Top 12 has at least one. These aren't songs that shouldn't not be done again, but they have only been done once so far.

Kat Robichaud:

You Oughta Know

I think the others you listed are totally right! That's incredible, that Season 5 had so many unique performances. I wish we had more seasons with that many unique song choices.

But Betsy Ade sang "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette during Season 16's Cross Battles. (I totally understand if you forgot. That first episode of Cross Battles was exhaustingly bad.)

By the way, can someone confirm if "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder has ever been performed on the show? (Andrew Sevener [S16] sang it during his finals.) Something tells me yes, but I'm not 100% confident.

7 minutes ago, Bouli said:

By the way, can someone confirm if "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder has ever been performed on the show? (Andrew Sevener [S16] sang it during his finals.) Something tells me yes, but I'm not 100% confident.

Yep, Morgan Frazier from Team Blake in S9, one of the most famous busses a contestant on the show has ever had. Blake wanted her gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys are talking about Season 9 and I was thinking about Evan McKeel on that season. He's really underrated but I really love his voice. I think, his Blind audition "Typical" and his "Dare You To Move" are songs that are not performed again. 

I am really a fan of Alt Rock singers on The Voice but still they didn't shine as much as Country and RNB. Hope that in this S18 Micah could pull something good and make a win. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yep, Morgan Frazier from Team Blake in S9, one of the most famous busses a contestant on the show has ever had. Blake wanted her gone.

I love the original but whenever it comes up on shuffle, my mind immediately goes to Morgan Frazier because that was just so unfortunate that they wanted her gone that bad.

Just now, JOMZ said:

You guys are talking about Season 9 and I was thinking about Evan McKeel on that season. He's really underrated but I really love his voice. I think, his Blind audition "Typical" and his "Dare You To Move" are songs that are not performed again. 

I am really a fan of Alt Rock singers on The Voice but still they didn't shine as much as Country and RNB. Hope that in this S18 Micah could pull something good and make a win. 

You're correct to both of those!

(Unless you count Nick singing 1.5 seconds of Dare You to Move in his pitch to Micah this season lol)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Someone648 said:

You're correct to both of those!

(Unless you count Nick singing 1.5 seconds of Dare You to Move in his pitch to Micah this season lol)

Yup that's why I want Micah to sing that so bad.

1 minute ago, JOMZ said:

Ah, Evan! I loved that guy, and he really deserved to go farther that he did. His blind remains one of my favorites.

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Ah, Evan! I loved that guy, and he really deserved to go farther that he did. His blind remains one of my favorites.

For me it was "Dare You To Move" he killed it.

His Overjoyed was also really good but when Rayshun LaMarr performed it I was like WTF. Evan put this song to rest and you made a sh*t of a Stevie Wonder song.